The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Released!!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Message
Author
User avatar
Weenily
Regular
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:53 pm
Tumblr: Weenily
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Wk 3 Report

#46 Post by Weenily » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:31 am

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MC'S DESIGN. YOUR ART IS SOOOO GOOD. The first CG oh my god Arabella and the MC are gorgeous. AND THOSE BGS ARE SO AMAZING WHOA I LOVE THE COLORING. The screenshot of the game is amazing it looks so professionally made! The texture on the textbox is kind of strong though. Congrats on so much progress!!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Wk 3 Report

#47 Post by Harliqueen » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Weenily wrote:I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MC'S DESIGN. YOUR ART IS SOOOO GOOD. The first CG oh my god Arabella and the MC are gorgeous. AND THOSE BGS ARE SO AMAZING WHOA I LOVE THE COLORING. The screenshot of the game is amazing it looks so professionally made! The texture on the textbox is kind of strong though. Congrats on so much progress!!
I'm really glad you like her, it certainly took enough time to come up with an idea for her :D

I'm going to change the textbox at some point, I think it's the thing giving me the most grief at the moment! Hopefully something less distracting and more blended into the background. Will hopefully show something on the weekend and see what everyone thinks :)

--
Image

Just a quick update this time :) And no art to show this time unfortunately.

I have been trying to work on typing to help with my arm, but also because that part is pretty important too! :D

I have actually finished the writing for the common route, which I'm pretty pleased with. And, I'm making really good progress into Stanton's route.

The romances and story in this game will be relatively quick in progression, just because it was supposed to be a smaller game, which means less time. But still, I think it's coming together, and the main thing is it should be enjoyable and romantic!

Stats so far (This is the common room and Stanton's route together):

Code: Select all

The game contains 1,431 dialogue blocks, containing 16,670 words and 86,158
characters, for an average of 11.6 words and 60 characters per block.

The game contains 36 menus, 174 images, and 14 screens.
I finally managed to figure out what I wanted for points.

There will be 4 personality choices to pick from when you have a choice of responses: Genial, head strong, witty, or sensible.

Then when it comes on how to deal with society you have 3 choices: Accept society (do the correct thing), shun society (intentionally go against the right thing), or make a mistake (accidently do the wrong thing).

I have done it like this because I thought it might be fun to mix up your MC. Maybe have a head strong MC, but still want her to do well in society. Or maybe have a nice MC who is trying, but not really getting it in society :D

Characters will sometimes remark on your personality, and also the way you are in society. Society points also make a difference to which variations of the 'Love' ending you get.

When it comes to choices on how to deal with the romance in the routes, the points towards the endings won't be based on personality (because I didn't want you to have to play a certain type of character to romance your LI and get the ending you want), the points will instead come from certain critical moment choices in the romance. Again you will have 3 choices in those moments, in which one or more of the choices might lead to getting true love points, etc.

That doesn't mean that the LI's don't get on better with some personality types than others. For example, a LI might find witty responses as not serious enough, and so he will respond differently to that than he would genial. But that doesn't mean you can't proceed with the romance, or enjoy all the big moments.

I hope that all makes sense!

I will be concentrating on writing for the rest of this week, then on CGs next week. If I do that, I should have Stanton's route out on time! Yay! Backgrounds will be lowest priority and due to that... might not be great :D

If you have any questions just let me know here or PM and I will try and answer them :)

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Points updat

#48 Post by Harliqueen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:32 pm

So, I'm obviously not going to get this game done for NaNo. It's becoming a bit of a beast, though I don't mind because I'm really pleased with how it's coming along! :D

Instead I will be releasing the common route as a demo. It's pretty short, but should give a flavour of what the rest of the game will be like.

Should have the demo up tomorrow possibly, but until then here are some screenshots :)
Image

Image
The demo word count is about 7,500 words.

But for Stanton's route (including common route) the stats currently sit at:

Code: Select all

The game contains 2,113 dialogue blocks, containing 25,490 words and 131,264
characters, for an average of 12.1 words and 62 characters per block.

The game contains 50 menus, 176 images, and 14 screens.
I'm about 70-75% of the way through writing it. I've also managed to finish 2 of his CGs, though there are still a few to go.

To be honest, I'm kinda glad it worked out like this. I was going to compromise on CGs and story in order to finish in time, but now I don't have to!

Be assured I am going to finish this visual novel, will just take a bit longer than planned :D (Hopefully not much longer than planned).

Question- Does anyone know how to upload a demo to itch.io? Or do you get a choice on calling it a demo when you upload the file? :D

Pick_One
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:32 pm
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] New update!

#49 Post by Pick_One » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Yay! I like that the responses correspond to a personality point. The society points makes sense and fits the game. I look forward to what the characters will say about Sophia's personality. The point system sounds fun and the variety in outcomes sound very exciting. :)

The main menu and screenshot looks pretty nice. :) Personally, I think the text is easier to read than before.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about uploading on itch.io. But I recall seeing some games with the word, demo, in the file name and usually the description will mention that it's a demo. But I hardly go to itch.io and I had never uploaded anything there before. There should be people here on Lemmasoft who will know. You could PM one of the developers who had upload a game onto there before?

Anyways, I hope your arm is doing fine and I can't wait to try the demo! :)

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] New update!

#50 Post by Harliqueen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:03 am

Pick_One wrote:Yay! I like that the responses correspond to a personality point. The society points makes sense and fits the game. I look forward to what the characters will say about Sophia's personality. The point system sounds fun and the variety in outcomes sound very exciting. :)

The main menu and screenshot looks pretty nice. :) Personally, I think the text is easier to read than before.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about uploading on itch.io. But I recall seeing some games with the word, demo, in the file name and usually the description will mention that it's a demo. But I hardly go to itch.io and I had never uploaded anything there before. There should be people here on Lemmasoft who will know. You could PM one of the developers who had upload a game onto there before?

Anyways, I hope your arm is doing fine and I can't wait to try the demo! :)
Thank you so much!

The main menu won't be the one for the final game, I just wanted something quick so as I could get the demo out on time for the deadline! :D

--

The demo is now released!!

I hope everything works ok on it. I always freak out I've compiled it wrong or left something out, plus it's my first time using itch.io :)

I really hope you guys enjoy, and let me know what you think!

User avatar
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:59 pm
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: minyan
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#51 Post by minyan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:56 am

The demo was fun! I enjoyed the wide variety of choices. I think from playing, my favorite was Lord Stanton... excited for the full version! The writing was lovely and everything looks elegant and fits with the theme well. Great job!
ImageImage

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#52 Post by Harliqueen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:39 am

minyan wrote:The demo was fun! I enjoyed the wide variety of choices. I think from playing, my favorite was Lord Stanton... excited for the full version! The writing was lovely and everything looks elegant and fits with the theme well. Great job!
Thank you so much for playing the demo :D I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I'm really glad to hear that you think it all fitted well together. I really wanted to try and make everything from writing to the GUI cohesive for the setting!

I had a week off from the computer, but back to it now, so full steam ahead to getting the full game finished!

User avatar
Agashi
Regular
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:35 pm
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
Skype: ali.almonte
itch: agashi
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#53 Post by Agashi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Yay! You did it! Sorry, I know this is a belated response to your nano game being out, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I played the demo.

I ADORED this. The writing is as lovely as I remember from Diving in Deep, and you did a fantastic job of capturing the nuance and style of regency-era speech. The art was fabulous as well. I want to own the MC's gown so bad, you don't even know.

Even though the premise is deceptively simple, (I say deceptive because I have a feeling Arabella's betrothal subplot is going come into play significantly) I'm tantalized at the possibilities for well-constructed romance down the line. All three of the eligible love interests are intriguing and sound like they have rich stories to tell, so I'm excited to see their content. Captain Blake is my favored love interest so far (those cheekbones!), but I find Lord Stanton's backstory the most interesting. The latter sounds almost like a Rhett Butler-type which I'm a sucker for.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. Sorry to hear about your arm! :( I'll be stalking this thread from here on out to check on progress, but I am curious, does this mean that CtS is on hold until Lady's Choice is complete?
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!


User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#54 Post by Harliqueen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:28 am

Agashi wrote:Yay! You did it! Sorry, I know this is a belated response to your nano game being out, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I played the demo.

I ADORED this. The writing is as lovely as I remember from Diving in Deep, and you did a fantastic job of capturing the nuance and style of regency-era speech. The art was fabulous as well. I want to own the MC's gown so bad, you don't even know.

Even though the premise is deceptively simple, (I say deceptive because I have a feeling Arabella's betrothal subplot is going come into play significantly) I'm tantalized at the possibilities for well-constructed romance down the line. All three of the eligible love interests are intriguing and sound like they have rich stories to tell, so I'm excited to see their content. Captain Blake is my favored love interest so far (those cheekbones!), but I find Lord Stanton's backstory the most interesting. The latter sounds almost like a Rhett Butler-type which I'm a sucker for.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. Sorry to hear about your arm! :( I'll be stalking this thread from here on out to check on progress, but I am curious, does this mean that CtS is on hold until Lady's Choice is complete?
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thank you so much for playing it! :D

I kept the common route pretty simple, just wanted to introduce the love interests and get everything set up. The individual routes will have a lot more to them :)

Blake seems to be the favourite, though I admit I didn't expect him to be!

Courting the Seasons will be on hold until mid-June. I'm going to work hard to finish Blake and Stanton's routes by then (which might be interrupted a bit if you release the demo for Queen's Crown, 'cause I'm seriously excited to play that :D ).

--

Just a note for everyone- I will be finishing Stanton and Blake's, but if I can't fit in Amesbury's route by mid-June he will have to go indefinite pause, until I can fit him in in my free time in the far future. Sorry all those looking forward to him, it's just I can't spend too much time on free games :/

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#55 Post by Harliqueen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Update!
Image

User avatar
Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 pm
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#56 Post by Green Glasses Girl » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Just finished the demo! I enjoyed it! I went into this without reading the character descriptions on the first page of this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled. The art is lovely and the music is great. I'm also most interested in Lord Stanton, so we'll see how it plays out! :D

I have to say,
I wanted to deck Lady Huntington. I can't stand the type of people who give backhanded compliments with an smirk as though they are superior! But that's good writing now that I see she's sort of the "Grand Dame" trope.
Can't wait for the full version!
Image

Honest Critique
Avatar art by akemicchi.

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#57 Post by Harliqueen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:31 am

Green Glasses Girl wrote:Just finished the demo! I enjoyed it! I went into this without reading the character descriptions on the first page of this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled. The art is lovely and the music is great. I'm also most interested in Lord Stanton, so we'll see how it plays out! :D

I have to say,
I wanted to deck Lady Huntington. I can't stand the type of people who give backhanded compliments with an smirk as though they are superior! But that's good writing now that I see she's sort of the "Grand Dame" trope.
Can't wait for the full version!
I'm really glad you liked it :) And it's nice you went into it without knowing anything, I think that's the best way to play a game sometimes as everything is unexpected!
That was kind of the exact reaction I was hoping people would have to Lady Huntington! She's definitely the biggest snob around and has a huge amount of self importance, so I'm glad she came across exactly that way.
:D

Thank you so much for playing it, and for commenting. It's really exciting to get people's thoughts!

User avatar
Harliqueen
Veteran
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#58 Post by Harliqueen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:23 am

Image
Yep, you read that right. Stanton's route is 99% written! Yay! :D I literally only have a few lines to write for one of the 'Love' endings.

I'll probably start writing Blake's route on Thursday.

(Are you guys liking the format for the reports now? Or would you prefer going back to text based reports?)

User avatar
Nana7
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 pm
Projects: Unichan (NanoReno), Keylocker
Tumblr: umiloo
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#59 Post by Nana7 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:35 am

- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Absolutely! I loved the theme, all the characters seem a lot interesting.

- Which love interest is your favourite?
Definitely Stanton, although I never like the first guy in the list, this one is my favorite. He with his hair loosen up like that <3

- Do you like the art style?
Three times YES! This is so unique! I loved their expressions, so subtle and amazingly done!

I'll play the demo and come back here later to give more critique, if I have some xD (when I have time apart from the dev hell ;-;)
Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] DEMO OUT!

#60 Post by Zelan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:49 am

I like the reports being in the image - it makes it easy to see quickly what's been finished. Plus, it's pretty unique - I've never seen anything like it before. ^_^

Congrats on all of your progress! owo It's good to see that you've got a good pace going for your work.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users