The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Released!!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: The Lady's Choice- NaNo2016 [Romance][Regency][GxB]

#16 Post by Harliqueen »

MimirollCookie wrote:GOOD LUCK WITH NaNo!
Thank you so much! :D

--

Update

Man, I'm so much slower than everyone else, looks like everyone's making amazing progress already. Congrats to those already having tons done! :D

So, anyways- my first progress report!

So, got the GUI done, well everything except the main menu screen as I'm not sure what I want do for that yet. But still, with the majority of it done, that's big thing done!

I've done a complete detailed outline for Stanton's route, and started on Blake's. I have an outline for al the love interest's routes, but I like to do a second outline with more detail, 'cause when I start writing I tend to just go on a roll!

My plan is to concentrate fully on the art assets, get those finished, and then start the writing and coding. I find this the easiest way round for me to do things, especially seeing as I'm going solo :D

So, I started the sprites yesterday- secondary character ones so I can get into the swing of the style before working on the main ones. I promise I will have MC character picture up soon though!

King George may rule England, but Lady Thomasina rules Bath. No one does anything without her say so, and society comes through her first.
Having recently lost her husband, she is on the look out for a suitable wife for her son, who has taken on his father's title as Duke.
She could be a great ally... or a formidable enemy.

(Lady Thomasina will be around in the common route and others, but will play the biggest part in Captain Blake's route.
In warning, I titled her son, 'Duke Creep von Creepster', throughout the outlining process :D )

What is there not to like about Colonel Foxley? He's pleasant in both manner and appearance, and it's not long before Arabella has an eye on him.
As Guy Blake's close friend, he's the one who got him promoted to the rank of Captain.

(As with Lady Thomasina, the Colonel will be in the common route, but will be most important in Captain Blake's route.)
--

Hm, considering I'm working on Stanton's route first, I did a lot of the sprites for Blake's route :D
Well, I want to get all the sprites done by next week, which I think will be do-able (hopefully!).

I was hoping to get another sprite done today, but my wrist has been playing up big time, so figure it's probably best to rest it rather than overdo it.

So, that's how my first week of NaNo went! Hope it went smoothly for everyone else :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#17 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I KEEP SEEING THIS THREAD WHEN I WAS ON PHONE AND IT WAS A HASSLE TO TYPE, BUT FINALLY I AM ON LAPTOP.

- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
A thousand time yes
I just love the idea and it seems like all the assets will be put towards trying to make this elegant and boy is it succeeding.

- Which love interest is your favourite?
Blake! Second most interesting is Amesbury.

- Do you like the art style?
I love it. I just love how well it ties all the aesthetic together. It's really, really good.

- Is there anything you'd like to see, or hope for from this?
Just this being finished!
Though I do have to say, I hope the text style on the boxes will be darker.

All right, that aside,
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE TELL ME that I get to see more of Foxley. I absolutely ADORE him. He looks great and seems really great, too-- I would love to see how his relationship with Arabella develops. I am a woman in the who-knows-exactly-arent-there-multiple-Georges era I deserve to gossip with my friend about her love life.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#18 Post by Harliqueen »

Ghost of Crux wrote:I KEEP SEEING THIS THREAD WHEN I WAS ON PHONE AND IT WAS A HASSLE TO TYPE, BUT FINALLY I AM ON LAPTOP.

A thousand time yes
I just love the idea and it seems like all the assets will be put towards trying to make this elegant and boy is it succeeding.

Blake! Second most interesting is Amesbury.

I love it. I just love how well it ties all the aesthetic together. It's really, really good.

Just this being finished!
Though I do have to say, I hope the text style on the boxes will be darker.

All right, that aside,
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE TELL ME that I get to see more of Foxley. I absolutely ADORE him. He looks great and seems really great, too-- I would love to see how his relationship with Arabella develops. I am a woman in the who-knows-exactly-arent-there-multiple-Georges era I deserve to gossip with my friend about her love life.
If you want to see more of Foxley, it's a good thing you're interested in Blake the most :D Foxley features in his route the most, don't think he's really in the others.
But yeah, you will get to see what happens between her and Foxley (and have a gossip about it) ;) Foxley is the second son of a prestigious family, so he's had a pretty good life, which has made him laid back and easy-going. Arabella on the other hand has a zest for life that can be quite overwhelming for some, so writing them together is gonna be great fun!

Thank you so much for the feedback! Is this better colouring? (Ignore the colour of the name, I won't be having it that bright mint green! ):

I was trying to keep everything gentle and pastel coloured, but I need it to be clear to read still :D Maybe possibly changing the font would be better? I'll give that a go next week as well.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Ah, well, I'm always weak to close friendships between other characters in stories, but VNs especially ;)
The fact that Blake is also great is the ganache in the very beautiful cake.

That sounds really interesting, though! I'd seriously love to see their relationship develop alongside the main character. I'd also love to see Blake and Foxley's friendship. I am always weak to those.

Mmm I'm not sure how it'd look exactly but perhaps without the outline? Because I think the white outline blends into the background and makes the darker text thinner. It's loads better, but I'm going to guess that a game like this will have a considerable amount of text.
Image Image

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#20 Post by fantasygeeki »

I played your NaNo2015 game and it left a really good impression so I'm looking forward to this. Aside from that, romantic VNs are what got me interested in the medium in the first place. I'm excited to see what you'll do with this classic, romantic time period.

I love a bit of angst so I'm drawn to the taboo-ish Issac Stanton. Not that he doesn't have his acceptable qualities but the mystery around him is exciting. But honestly all the men are cute so I'll be playing this game thoroughly.

I think the art style matches the lighthearted nature of the story.

I'm glad that the VN isn't going to stress historical accuracy too heavily. I think I'd like to see a story that defines the Regency period from a modern perspective.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#21 Post by Harliqueen »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Ah, well, I'm always weak to close friendships between other characters in stories, but VNs especially ;)
The fact that Blake is also great is the ganache in the very beautiful cake.

That sounds really interesting, though! I'd seriously love to see their relationship develop alongside the main character. I'd also love to see Blake and Foxley's friendship. I am always weak to those.

Mmm I'm not sure how it'd look exactly but perhaps without the outline? Because I think the white outline blends into the background and makes the darker text thinner. It's loads better, but I'm going to guess that a game like this will have a considerable amount of text.
I'm really keen on friendships in VNs (well, in anything really) as well, so, there will be a good amount of it in this- though not too much as I have to keep reigning it in as it is! :D

Gonna try it without the outline, and will have to see how it looks on an actual background as well, I forgot it's not just going to be on the checkered screen :D Will post screenshot when I have some art for that, hopefully it will be better!
fantasygeeki wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
I played your NaNo2015 game and it left a really good impression so I'm looking forward to this. Aside from that, romantic VNs are what got me interested in the medium in the first place. I'm excited to see what you'll do with this classic, romantic time period.

I love a bit of angst so I'm drawn to the taboo-ish Issac Stanton. Not that he doesn't have his acceptable qualities but the mystery around him is exciting. But honestly all the men are cute so I'll be playing this game thoroughly.

I think the art style matches the lighthearted nature of the story.

I'm glad that the VN isn't going to stress historical accuracy too heavily. I think I'd like to see a story that defines the Regency period from a modern perspective.
A bit of angst is always good to make a romance stronger, right? ;)

All the routes will have there ups and down, but nothing will ever get too heavy. I want it to be really enjoyable and romantic!

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this :)

--

Small update-

I've had a bit of a think about the endings and changed my mind a bit :D The way I did it was bugging me, and I wasn't going to be happy until I did what I really wanted. So yeah, change for that.

It will sort of be the same- though bad endings will now be included seeing as they were more popular than I thought.

There will be:

Bad Ending
Love Ending 1
Love Ending 2
True Love

The 2 different love endings will be a variation on one ending, not a huge amount of difference, but it will be determined by how you've made an impression in society. You'll get one if you impressed society, and the other if you shunned or didn't impress society.

Phew, now I feel much better! :D

I will be working on art assets this week, and hope to get a HUGE amount done. Will post up some previews soon :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#22 Post by Zelan »

This seems really cool! The premise reminds me of Choice of Romance - that's one of those text-based games, if anyone here plays those. But I'm intrigued by Isaac Stanton. This surprises me, since I don't usually go for those "perfectly eligible" types, but that last bit sort of has me hooked. Good luck with this! :D I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#23 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote:This seems really cool! The premise reminds me of Choice of Romance - that's one of those text-based games, if anyone here plays those. But I'm intrigued by Isaac Stanton. This surprises me, since I don't usually go for those "perfectly eligible" types, but that last bit sort of has me hooked. Good luck with this! :D I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Yea I thought about that too! That was fun to play.

And I found it! I'm pumped for this, I love regency romance type things :D I'm most excited for Lord Laurence Amesbury's route, so I'm sad it'll be done last xD But I'm sure the other routes will be fantastic too! Good luck with this :D
ImageImage

furiousfixation

#24 Post by furiousfixation »

What a gorgeous art style! Seriously the visual appeal of this game is something else, I knew I wanted the play it the minute I saw your concept art.

Absolutely.

Stanton for sure, I dig the Darcy vibe he has going on, and find the hint of a scandal exciting.

Yes, the art is lovely and an immediate draw for the game.

My favorite part of Regency novels is always the intrigue, gossip, and scandal, so I would love to see how you're able to bring that experience to life in your story!

Overall this looks incredibly promising! Good luck on your project, I look forward to playing your game!

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#25 Post by Weenily »

Omg I love Lady Huntington so much I was almost interested in her son until I read "Duke Creep von Creepster" xD. Colonel Foxley is so foxy I can see why Arabella wants him!! I'm so tempted to go for Blake's route first because they have big parts in it.
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#26 Post by Harliqueen »

Zelan wrote:This seems really cool! The premise reminds me of Choice of Romance - that's one of those text-based games, if anyone here plays those. But I'm intrigued by Isaac Stanton. This surprises me, since I don't usually go for those "perfectly eligible" types, but that last bit sort of has me hooked. Good luck with this! :D I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Thank you so much! I've not played those text-based ones, but it does sound like what I'm going for!

Stanton is very much an eligible guy, but you'll quickly learn that just having those traits don't mean that he's a good catch ;)
minyan wrote: Yea I thought about that too! That was fun to play.

And I found it! I'm pumped for this, I love regency romance type things :D I'm most excited for Lord Laurence Amesbury's route, so I'm sad it'll be done last xD But I'm sure the other routes will be fantastic too! Good luck with this :D
I'm glad you found it :D I didn't want to advertise my NaNo in your thread, so I'm glad you got here. Plus, knowing you're interested is a major thing, I absolutely love your stuff!

Hopefully once the art assets are all completed, writing and coding the routes won't take so long. I've got pretty detailed plans, and I'm pretty sure Amesbury will be worth waiting for! (There's one bit in his route... man, I can't spoil it, but even I'm excited to play through it and I'm the one writing it! :D ).
furiousfixation wrote:What a gorgeous art style! Seriously the visual appeal of this game is something else, I knew I wanted the play it the minute I saw your concept art.

Absolutely.

Stanton for sure, I dig the Darcy vibe he has going on, and find the hint of a scandal exciting.

Yes, the art is lovely and an immediate draw for the game.

My favorite part of Regency novels is always the intrigue, gossip, and scandal, so I would love to see how you're able to bring that experience to life in your story!

Overall this looks incredibly promising! Good luck on your project, I look forward to playing your game!
I'm so glad you like the art! I really wanted to go for something gentle and more simplistic, to kind of give the feel of the period :)

I hope I manage to get the scandal in as you like! I do enjoy writing it, as it adds quite a bit of interest to a romantic historical story I find.
Weenily wrote:Omg I love Lady Huntington so much I was almost interested in her son until I read "Duke Creep von Creepster" xD. Colonel Foxley is so foxy I can see why Arabella wants him!! I'm so tempted to go for Blake's route first because they have big parts in it.
Yeah, Duke Huntington... he's a creep, no other way of getting around it :D But, then I imagine most rich, entitled guys were pretty much like that in those times.

I will have some sprites from other routes to show soon as well, not sure why I focused on Blake's route first. I need to get more organised!

--

Thank you so much for all the comments! It's so motivating and exciting to know that people want to play this :)

I'll have a mid week report tomorrow, where I will finally get to reveal Arabella and Stanton's sprites. (I seriously will have the MC sprite done at some point, seem to have a bit of a mental block on that!)

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#27 Post by Weenily »

LOL most rich, entitled guys in these times are total Duke Creep von Creepsters too. I'm excited to see Arabella and Stanton's sprites!! I hope you can get inspiration for the MC!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#28 Post by Harliqueen »

Weenily wrote:LOL most rich, entitled guys in these times are total Duke Creep von Creepsters too. I'm excited to see Arabella and Stanton's sprites!! I hope you can get inspiration for the MC!
That's very true :D Guess time can't change everything!

--

So, I've got quite a few sprites done. Not as many as I'd hoped, but still making progress :)

Some quite important ones done:

And the first love interest sprite!

My word, he has fabulous hair!
-

I did finish another sprite that I am really proud of, but I can't show them because of spoilers...

Should have the other love interest sprites to show on my next report!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Have I gushed about the art enough yet? Because I HAVEN'T. It's so gorgeous! I'm a HUGE fan of how Stanton's look-- it's so neat and dignified and yet the rightmost one manages to convey the message without losing that elegant feel. I love it.

AND THEN. Arabella! She's already one of my favourites based on description alone, and she looks absolutely lovely! I really can't wait to see everything done. This is such a good thing. = v =

I still check your thread now and then because I get really excited ahaha
Image Image

Harliqueen
Veteran

#30 Post by Harliqueen »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Have I gushed about the art enough yet? Because I HAVEN'T. It's so gorgeous! I'm a HUGE fan of how Stanton's look-- it's so neat and dignified and yet the rightmost one manages to convey the message without losing that elegant feel. I love it.

AND THEN. Arabella! She's already one of my favourites based on description alone, and she looks absolutely lovely! I really can't wait to see everything done. This is such a good thing. = v =

I still check your thread now and then because I get really excited ahaha
Ahh, thank you so much!! :D I'm really glad you like it, I so wanted it to suit the style of the VN and be appealing!

I am loving Arabella more and more the further into her character I get, so I hope everyone else will like her as much too :D