🌿Silverbark Willow🌿 [Fantasy][Friendship/Romance][Nano'16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
bretuile
Projects: Silverbark Willow

🌿Silverbark Willow🌿 [Fantasy][Friendship/Romance][Nano'16]

#1 Post by bretuile »

⤛❈⤜
Meren is a young woman that has lived her entire life in the sleepy valley of Silverbark. She spends her days helping her uncle run their inn, and daydreaming of an exciting life elsewhere.
Then one day, two men come to Silverbark Valley and she gets the chance she's been waiting for all along - the chance to escape her hometown and go on an adventure to faraway lands.
But what will she choose?
The thrill of the unknown or the familiar comforts of the only home she has ever known?

This story will have Romance, Platonic Friendship, and Independent Single Lady endings. There are no 'bad' endings

⤛❈⤜

⤛❈⤜

Meren [Name Changeable]
Main Character
⤛❈⤜

⤛❈⤜

⤛❈⤜
Main
Planning - 50%
Writing - 5%
GUI/Coding - 0%
Character Art - 0%
Background - 0%
Music - 20%
⤛❈⤜
Stellan's Route - 2 Endings
Sprites - 0%
CGs - 0%
Script - 0%
Soren's Route - 2 Endings
Sprites - 0%
CGs - 0%
Script - 0%

⤛❈⤜
So this is my first VN, and I am incredibly nervous and already starting to feel a little overwhelmed about the amount of work I seemed to have taken on. I have been playing VNs/otome games for the past few years now and always wanted to create one for myself. In truth, this story is a lead-in to a novel that I started writing back in high school. I've recently gone back to it, and I've been toying with the idea of converting it to a visual novel. Depending on how this project goes, I might

I wanted to create something a little different than the usual otome game, and offer something softer(??wtf am i saying) for when you want a more relaxing game. No horror, no tragic background stories, and no violence. I want to create a game that feels like a warm blanket, a hot cup of tea, and a good book on a cold day. It'll (hopefully) make you laugh, sigh, and feel good regardless of the ending you get (kind of like a guilty pleasure...mmmmchocolate).

⤛❈⤜
Since this is my first Nanoreno, and my first game, I would love to get some feedback! Please feel free to answer one or all of the questions- all of of your feedback and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!! :wink:
  1. What do you think of the game's premise?
  2. Which route would you play first? (If I could only finish one by the end of the month, which one would you rather play?)
  3. What type of ending (romance, platonic friendship, single) are you most interested in?
  4. What are you thoughts on 'watercolor' style art for the VN?
  5. What kind of CGs do you like in games?
  6. What is your favorite healthy snack?! I need ideas for when I stress eat through this entire month :wink: :P
Last edited by bretuile on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:38 am, edited 8 times in total.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: 🌿SILVERBARK WILLOW🌿 [Fantasy][GxB] [Nano'16]

#2 Post by MimirollCookie »

Yey! A game with no bad endings!!
Wish you good luck with nano!!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#3 Post by KittyKatStar »

What do you think of the game's premise?
I really like it - I love the idea of adventure and finally being able to leave your hometown.

Which route would you play first? (If I could only finish one by the end of the month, which one would you rather play?)
Stellan... I really like the quiet/kind types.

What type of ending (romance, platonic friendship, single) are you most interested in?
Platonic friendship.

What are you thoughts on 'watercolor' style art for the VN?
It was the first thing that stood out when I read your post! I thought it was very dream-like and comforting.

What kind of CGs do you like in games?
Hard to say... whatever you feel would be the most powerful in a CG? i.e. character-plot point, or showing a tender side (i.e. two characters joying a picnic together).

What is your favorite healthy snack?!
Fruit parfait! I do the lazy kind i.e. just buy vanilla yogurt and throw in berries with some honey. XD Also easy to eat while working. Veggies + hummus, peach-mango smoothies, and a stash of dark chocolate when you just need something slightly sweet (and a sugar boost) but not too much that you eat too much of it.

Best of luck with your nano. I really love comforting VNs <3

Eevee.avg

#4 Post by Eevee.avg »

It sounds very simple so far, but thats not bad at all! Im certainly interested

Which route would you play first? (If I could only finish one by the end of the month, which one would you rather play?)
Maybe Soren? reading the word "loyal" made me like him

What type of ending (romance, platonic friendship, single) are you most interested in?
Romance!

Its a little refreshing, i like it!

Im not really sure of how to answer this... i guess i like CGs that make immediately think "how cute!" or something like that... as in... heartwarming stuff...! I dont really know how to explain this, sorry

Just plain fruit, i guess

bretuile

#5 Post by bretuile »

KittyKatStar wrote:What do you think of the game's premise?
I really like it - I love the idea of adventure and finally being able to leave your hometown.

Stellan... I really like the quiet/kind types.

Platonic friendship.

It was the first thing that stood out when I read your post! I thought it was very dream-like and comforting.

Hard to say... whatever you feel would be the most powerful in a CG? i.e. character-plot point, or showing a tender side (i.e. two characters joying a picnic together).

Fruit parfait! I do the lazy kind i.e. just buy vanilla yogurt and throw in berries with some honey. XD Also easy to eat while working. Veggies + hummus, peach-mango smoothies, and a stash of dark chocolate when you just need something slightly sweet (and a sugar boost) but not too much that you eat too much of it.

Best of luck with your nano. I really love comforting VNs <3
KittyKatStar, Thank you for your kind words and feedback! It's super helpful and means a lot coming from you (since I love your games so much :oops: ) A fruit parfait sounds heavenly... I'll have to go the store after work today to stock up on groceries xD
Eevee.avg wrote:What do you think of the game's premise?
It sounds very simple so far, but thats not bad at all! Im certainly interested

Maybe Soren? reading the word "loyal" made me like him

Romance!

Its a little refreshing, i like it!

Im not really sure of how to answer this... i guess i like CGs that make immediately think "how cute!" or something like that... as in... heartwarming stuff...! I dont really know how to explain this, sorry

Just plain fruit, i guess
Eevee, Thank you! I didn't know what to put for the game story/summary since I've only just started writing the story. I expect it to change a few time, and I might even change around the character descriptions as I get further into the story. I'll hopefully have some concept drawings for the male characters by the end of this week, or this weekend at the latest!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#6 Post by Harliqueen »

It's sounds really interesting, can't wait to play it!

Stellan, he sounds like my type of guy :D

Romance, though I know that isn't importat for many people.

I love it! It really stands out.

Hm, not sure. Guess it depends on the story and feel of it? (Not much help there, sorry!)

Granola! Love it :D

Good luck with this, it sounds amazing!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

bretuile

#7 Post by bretuile »

Harliqueen wrote:What do you think of the game's premise?
It's sounds really interesting, can't wait to play it!

Stellan, he sounds like my type of guy :D

Romance, though I know that isn't importat for many people.

I love it! It really stands out.

Hm, not sure. Guess it depends on the story and feel of it? (Not much help there, sorry!)

Granola! Love it :D

Good luck with this, it sounds amazing!
Harliqueen, Thank you, thank you! I'm hoping to have a more fleshed out description sometime before the end of the week... will depend on how much time I can devote to writing at night :?. I LOVE granola... I would make my own mix when I was in high school and eat way too much of it :lol: :| :lol:

bretuile

#8 Post by bretuile »

MimirollCookie wrote:Yey! A game with no bad endings!!
Ahhh I'm sorry, I somehow overlooked your post. Thank you!!! :P :D :D
🌿Silverbark Willow🌿

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#9 Post by MimirollCookie »

bretuile wrote:
MimirollCookie wrote:Yey! A game with no bad endings!!
Ahhh I'm sorry, I somehow overlooked your post. Thank you!!! :P :D :D
It's okay! :) :P

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#10 Post by Ghost of Crux »

A GAME WHERE THERE'S NO BAD ENDING, IS DESIGNED TO BE A WARM BLANKET AND A CUP OF COCOA, AND ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE A PLATONIC ENDING???
Yes please have all my money.

I admit I am very biased towards the name Soren because I have an OC named that, but Stellan is definitely my kinda guy |D

I love them all equally... They all bring things to the table. But if I have to choose, then it's the latter two.

YES. YES. YES. As someone who fell in love with watercolours, I just really love this style. It's just so gorgeous.

I really like tone-setting CGs... which means "a cg for ever single scene" so I really shouldn't say anything :'p

Coffee.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

bretuile

#11 Post by bretuile »

Ghost of Crux wrote:What do you think of the game's premise?
A GAME WHERE THERE'S NO BAD ENDING, IS DESIGNED TO BE A WARM BLANKET AND A CUP OF COCOA, AND ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE A PLATONIC ENDING???
Yes please have all my money.

I admit I am very biased towards the name Soren because I have an OC named that, but Stellan is definitely my kinda guy |D

I love them all equally... They all bring things to the table. But if I have to choose, then it's the latter two.

YES. YES. YES. As someone who fell in love with watercolours, I just really love this style. It's just so gorgeous.

I really like tone-setting CGs... which means "a cg for ever single scene" so I really shouldn't say anything :'p

Coffee.
Ahhhhh, thank youuu! :o All of your answers are super helpful!

Coffee is my lifeblood. I probably drink enough caffeine to kill a small horse in a day. Hahaha :?
🌿Silverbark Willow🌿

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: 🌿Silverbark Willow🌿 [Fantasy][Friendship/Romance][Nano'1

#12 Post by Zelan »

What do you think of the game's premise?: Meren's dilemma reminds me a lot of myself, actually - I'd like to be more independent but man it's really nice when people do everything for you. So basically I love it. cx
Which route would you play first? This question is hard for me to answer. When I play visual novels, I don't aim for a specific route on my first playthrough; I make choices based on how I would make them in real life (although this usually means I end up with neutral or bad endings rip). I only aim for a specific route after getting a feel for the characters.
What type of ending (romance, platonic friendship, single) are you most interested in? Romance because I'm a sap. XD
What are you thoughts on 'watercolor' style art for the VN? I like it! I've seen it for backgrounds but never for sprites, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
What kind of CGs do you like in games? Despite my love for romantic endings, some of my favorite CGs of all time are ones that show friendships between characters; Katawa Shoujo and Taarradhin are the first two that come to mind for some of my favorite CGs. I'll come back and post the two that I'm thinking of if I remember. Also, side note, everyone should play both of those games because they're really freaking good.
What is your favorite healthy snack?! One can never go wrong with cinnamon applesauce ^_^

EDIT: Here are links to the two CGs I mentioned above ^_^ They're pretty different but the theme in both is friendship. They're also large so LINKS!

Katawa Shoujo
Taarradhin

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: 🌿Silverbark Willow🌿 [Fantasy][Friendship/Romance][Nano'1

#13 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Sounds fine to me.

I don't know yet.

It probably depends on my mood at the time and how hot the guy looks :)

It's fine.

For special events.

What is your favorite healthy snack?! I need ideas for when I stress eat through this entire month :wink: :P
Who eats healthy when they're stressed? Chocolate and more chocolate.