Banality Man [VN][Comedy][Hero][Animated][NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Candy☆Giants
Regular
Projects: Five Star Freeloaders
Deviantart: idrawbases

Re: Banality Man [VN][Comedy][Hero][Animated][NaNo16]

#31 Post by Candy☆Giants »

Looking forward to those GUI mockups! :) Those are hard, but I'm sure you'll do finely. :D

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#32 Post by YossarianIII »

Candy☆Giants wrote:Looking forward to those GUI mockups! Those are hard, but I'm sure you'll do finely.

Thanks, Candy☆Giants! I'm making good progress and should have something to post before the end of the week.

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta

#33 Post by YossarianIII »

New screenshots ready now! There is still a little time for tweaking if anyone notices problems with them. I wanted to show a wide range of possibilities from the story, so most players will probably only see one or two of these during a single play through. More to come soon.

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

#34 Post by YossarianIII »

Updated the main post: I've more or less finished all the sprites and backgrounds, and programmed them into the game with transitions. Once I finish with designing menu screens, this game will basically be playable, although it'll be missing key elements like sound effects, music, and CGs, which I'm saving for the final couple weeks of the month.

So I think it's safe to say that, barring any major issues, there will definitely be a version of Banality Man to play on April 1st, and hopefully a totally finished, reasonably polished version. :)

Also, I mentioned this on Twitter, but here's a tutorial about creating the backgrounds in this game that might be helpful for people who want to do creative stuff with photo filters.

Image Image

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#35 Post by Kumiho »

Oh my goshhhh returning to say how excited I am for this project ;u;
All the characters look amazing, and your writing/choices are... well, they're above comment 8')))
Also your backgrounds *u* Especially the second one with Guyser Broze is just. x'DDD
AKSJD;FA THANKS FOR ALL YOUR PROGRESS. GOOD LUCK. AND THANKS FOR ALL THE TUTORIALS TOO.

Candy☆Giants
Regular

#36 Post by Candy☆Giants »

GUYSER BROZE lmao are you kidding me that's the best name ever

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#37 Post by MimirollCookie »

BANALITY MAN IS BETTER THAN SUPERMAN!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

YossarianIII
Veteran

#38 Post by YossarianIII »

Kumiho wrote:Oh my goshhhh returning to say how excited I am for this project ;u;
All the characters look amazing, and your writing/choices are... well, they're above comment 8')))
Also your backgrounds *u* Especially the second one with Guyser Broze is just. x'DDD
AKSJD;FA THANKS FOR ALL YOUR PROGRESS. GOOD LUCK. AND THANKS FOR ALL THE TUTORIALS TOO.

Thanks Kumiho! Glad to hear you liked the backgrounds and everything else.

Candy☆Giants wrote:GUYSER BROZE lmao are you kidding me that's the best name ever
I used to have a hard time naming characters back when I wanted to give them realistic names, but at some point I decided to stop making sense and just try to come up with the most awesome names I could think of. It's a lot more fun that way!

MimirollCookie wrote:BANALITY MAN IS BETTER THAN SUPERMAN!
Batman V. Superman V. Banality Man -- coming 2019 to a theater near you!

Image Image

Candy☆Giants
Regular

#39 Post by Candy☆Giants »

I'd totally watch Batman V. Superman V. Banality Man. Legit.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#40 Post by YossarianIII »

Candy☆Giants wrote:I'd totally watch Batman V. Superman V. Banality Man. Legit.
BRB, off putting together a pitch for DC execs to retcon Banality Man into the Multiverse :lol:

Also, another progress update: no more default UI in my VNs! Admittedly, this time I didn't change anything radical, but baby steps, I guess.
Want to see even more basic-but-technically-not-default menus like these? You'll have to download the game on April 1st!

There's still enough time that I can make changes if anyone has comments or notices any potential issues. (Assuming I can figure out how to implement the fixes :) .)

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

#41 Post by YossarianIII »

Just wanted to post another progress update.

I'm slowly moving out of the "adding-new-stuff" phase and getting into the "make-sure-nothing's-broken" phase.

The big news is that every ending will now have a couple simple CGs to go with them (nothing fancy, just stuff in a similar art style to the rest of the game).

I've locked down the soundtrack and will probably post a list of songs being used in the near future (under the spoiler tag, in case anyone wants to play the game and be surprised).

Finally, after a couple requests in the Beretta Mondatta thread, I'm going to try to put together an ending counter for this game, and maybe even a gallery or something to help players keep track of what they've unlocked.

Image Image

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#42 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

You weren't kidding about the weirdness this season. :)
This looks cool, and the art style though simple is fun and distinctive. It reminds me a little of Home Movies.

"Ker-plow!" I'd go with that, because why not?

Good luck YossarianIII!
ImageImageImageImage

YossarianIII
Veteran

#43 Post by YossarianIII »

LeonDaydreamer wrote: You weren't kidding about the weirdness this season. :)
This looks cool, and the art style though simple is fun and distinctive. It reminds me a little of Home Movies.

"Ker-plow!" I'd go with that, because why not?

Good luck YossarianIII!
Thanks LeonDaydreamer!

I haven't seen Home Movies, although the general Adult Swim style is one influence. I might have to check it out...

I think you got your onomatopoeia in just in time -- it'll be the final inclusion!

As for general updates, after trying a few different options, I've finally decided on a title screen:
Yes, this franchise has gone from campy 1960s to grimdark 2010s reboot before the first VN is even released. My only regret is that I didn't choose a larger screen resolution to make space for more lens flares.

Image Image

Doom
Tumblr: death-tan

#44 Post by Doom »

This is beautiful. I am legit in love with everything about this: the art style, the humor, the soundtrack, Banality Man himself. This is great.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#45 Post by YossarianIII »

Doom wrote:This is beautiful. I am legit in love with everything about this: the art style, the humor, the soundtrack, Banality Man himself. This is great.
Thanks, Doom. Glad to hear you like what's here so far.

Getting ready for the release... can't believe it's less than a week away!

Image Image