Hark! This Is Golden Millennial Choir [NaNo16 | Music | GxG]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

Hark! This Is Golden Millennial Choir [NaNo16 | Music | GxG]

#1 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

PaperDoor Studios' contribution to NaNoRenO 2016.
Story
Yumi Moyaguchi's band in the school's Rock and Roll Club has been forcibly split up by the new principal, who has a strong dislike for rock music. Determined to continue her dream of being a professional musician, Yumi begins to seek out fellow students who share her passion to do something new ... An unfamiliar form of music, not quite rock, not quite classical, not quite jazz, and not quite something in between. One by one, Yumi's new band gains members as the school festival approaches. Will they be able to put their talents together and perform something completely different from anything the school has heard before?

The name of this band is ...
'Tis Golden Millennial Choir.

Main Characters
Yumi Moyaguchi
Yumi is an energetic girl with a passion for music of all kinds, and is a talented guitarist despite having only a little formal training. She decides to name her new band 'Tis Golden Millennial Choir because it is surprising. Unfortunately, she has no ideas for songs.

Miyoko Kuriyama
Yumi's best friend, and the first member of the Choir to actually write some original music. She acts as an anchor to keep Yumi from getting too carried away. Despite it only being a hobby, she takes her bass playing very seriously. Why does she keep blushing when Yumi talks to her, though?

Meifuji Takami
Meifuji is preppy and proper, but she has a rebellious side to her as well. Her refined guitar skills balance out Yumi's untrained style, bringing some much needed finesse to 'Tis Golden Millennial Choir.

Rena Kawashita
A recent transfer student who almost never speaks. When she does, it is usually in allusion to her supposedly apocalyptic hometown and former school. She is an accomplished graphic and sound artist, and handles the new band's image and stage presence with her elaborate slideshows and sound effects.

Hisako Hitobuki
An estranged childhood friend of Yumi who swore off playing guitar, believing she could never reach Yumi's level. She has since picked up the violin, and reluctantly agrees to join Yumi's band to prove her skill with the instrument.

Nori Jungo
The only third-year in the band, Nori is a popular class representative and skilled cellist. He is initially worried about the band causing trouble, but joins them to expand his horizons as a musician. He comes to greatly enjoy the company of his new bandmates.

Kuri Jungo
Nori's younger brother, Kuri is initially reluctant to join 'Tis Golden Millennial Choir, but changes his mind after developing a crush on HIsako. He is learning drums.

Music
Because I wanted to create a "post visual novel" it was decided the soundtrack should necessarily be comprised of post rock music. The music played in-story by 'Tis Golden Millennial Choir is being performed by Greyberry, PaperDoor's in-house band. Every song, save for the one performed by Yumi's former band, Sparkle☆, is intended as a reference to a different post rock band, such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Rós, and Stereolab.

Security
The only song played by Sparkle☆ in the story. In it, the singer expresses her desire for a personal security guard.

Stereophonic Subway
An instrumental improv piece during 'Tis Golden Millennial Choir's first practice session.

Sight of Shoe
Another improv piece from the Choir, with vocals from Miyoko.

Meat Stars
An experimental noise track by Rena Kawashita's old band, Pitch.

Hark!
A track which will play during the band's performance at the end of the story.

PaperDoor Staff
Scenario, Programming - Shoji Amasawa
Programming, Editing - Reika Aoyama
Music - Greyberry
Art - TBA

We are currently looking for someone to draw one sprite for each character. Varying expressions are only necessary if you want to draw them. Unfortunately, our usual artist is very busy. We had a very moe style in mind, as our goal is to promote this game as "cute girls doing cute things", only to shatter these expectations when it turns out to actually be "cute girls playing post rock". We are doing this project for fun, so this would probably not be a paying job.

Anyway, check this thread for updates! We have already begun work on two of the songs. The music will actually be the easy part!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Hark! This Is Golden Millennial Choir [NaNo16 | Music |

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

Oh my god, yes -- I am so, so onboard for a Godspeed You! Black Emperor-inspired visual novel!

I'm really excited to see all the genre diversification in NaNo this year, and people putting new spins on old formulas. Pretty much any game that heavily features music is on my to-check-out list, so I'll definitely be following the progress of this one.

Best of luck!

Image Image

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#3 Post by Seigetsu »

A GxG game with lots of original music sounds like a wonderful idea. Is this going to be more or less a kinetic novel? Or would there be multiple routes and multiple characters to pursue?

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#4 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

At the moment I am writing a linear story. Not sure if it is going to stay that way, but I intend to figure that out before I get too deep. As the main focus of the story is the music, putting too much focus on the pursuit of a heroine might be distracting.

The song "Security" is coming along nicely. We are talking to a certain talented singer to provide vocals for this one!

Something that was decided was that there would need to be one voice artist. Throughout the game there are segments of an interview with Yumi, the main character. If you are interested, please PM!

And last but not least, here is the first piece of promo art! It's very moe-anime style, so everyone here will probably like it!
Attachments
Supermoe_promo.png

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#5 Post by runeraccoon »

LOL at that supermoepromo

Anyway I'm really excited for this like whoa! It reminds me of Hibike! Euphonium, etc, and after that anime, I think we all need this GxG fix hahahaha. Really looking forward to it!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#6 Post by MimirollCookie »

Aah~
A vn where two of my favorites are combined!! Good luck!

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran

#7 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

Thought I should give a little update. For starters, most of the music has been recorded! We have some very special guest performers as well.

Anairis Quinones - Vocals on "Sight of Shoe" and "Hark!"
Sayuri Maebara - Vocals on "Security"

We are super excited to share these songs with you, so the accompanying game is being worked on with enthusiasm and dedication.