⋘ Reflections on the River ⋙ • [Fantasy][NaNo16][COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)
Projects: Through the Panels
Organization: STARDUST★SODA
itch: stardust-soda

⋘ Reflections on the River ⋙ • [Fantasy][NaNo16][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by PeroxidePrince »

The game has been released! Thread over here.

Once upon a time, in the far away kingdom of Nantu, a desperate King and Queen sought the help of a Witch. Although the Witch claimed no reward at the time, good fortune comes at a hefty price.
As the kingdom grew prosperous, so did the Witch’s greed. Thrice did the Witch demand unreasonable recompense, but thrice was the Witch rejected. The visits stopped and for a short while, the kingdom knew peace.
Until one day the Witch returned, demanding the kingdom’s most prized jewel, lest tragedy befalls the land.
Who will get their happily ever after in this fairytale?

Reflections on the River is a visual novel about fairytale promises, friendship, and filial piety.
      • The game will have 2 routes, and 7 endings in total.
        Players will take on the role of Zheng, the Witch, and navigate their way through this fairytale, where seemingly everyone has a secret.

• This will be STARDUST★SODA's first time participating in NaNoRenO!
        We will also be joined by an additional artist for this project, darlingdraws.

PeroxidePrince • Art, Writing, Programming • TwitterTumblr
        SweetStrawberry • Writing • Twitter
        DarlingDraws • Backgrounds • TwitterTumblr

Please feel to follow our individual social media accounts for updates, or the STARDUST★SODA twitter or tumblr!
      • Concept/Story • Everything's planned out!
        Script • Finished!
        Sprite Art • Finished!
        Backgrounds • Finished!
        CGs • Finished!
        UI • Finished!
        Programming • Finished!

Everything's done! We're now into beta testing!!
Last edited by PeroxidePrince on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

Re: ⋘ Reflections on the River ⋙ • [Fantasy][Friendship][NaN

#2 Post by potouto »

Oh this seems like a really interesting one here, the premise is intriguing :0 I love the art style, it stands out on its own way. Honestly the protagonist's personality gets me the most, Zheng appears to be more on negative sides than others, wah, wish you guys best luck with the project!

yeah well | commission | website

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#3 Post by Weenily »

I love the story wow! I honestly love all the characters and cannot pick a favorite, the part where everyone seemingly has a secret makes it even more interesting. I need to know the dirt on these characters. I also really like how the King and Queen treat Prince Shun as their own child! The art has amazing lineart and I love the way the faces and hair are drawn!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)

#4 Post by PeroxidePrince »

potouto wrote:Oh this seems like a really interesting one here, the premise is intriguing :0 I love the art style, it stands out on its own way. Honestly the protagonist's personality gets me the most, Zheng appears to be more on negative sides than others, wah, wish you guys best luck with the project!
Thanks a lot!
Haha, I suppose since Zheng doesn't really make great first impressions, it makes sense that maybe players wouldn't be too keen on them from the get go. We're really hoping that Zheng will be the sort of character that grows on the player as the story develops though!
Weenily wrote:I love the story wow! I honestly love all the characters and cannot pick a favorite, the part where everyone seemingly has a secret makes it even more interesting. I need to know the dirt on these characters. I also really like how the King and Queen treat Prince Shun as their own child! The art has amazing lineart and I love the way the faces and hair are drawn!
Thank you very much!
Not to worry, you'll definitely be able to get in on everyone's dirt in the game haha.

Tediusman
Completed: Akumangel
Projects: Akumangel; The Madhouse Swing
Tumblr: Tediusman
Deviantart: Tediusman

#5 Post by Tediusman »

Quite the interesting setting here! The thing I like the most about this is how the protagonist looks entirely unlikable, but at the same time you feel there has to be something behind her greediness. I'm so curious to find out more!
Also, super neat art.

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#6 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Worked on sprites today! They've all been sketched out now, and I'm making a start on inking.

Tediusman wrote:Quite the interesting setting here! The thing I like the most about this is how the protagonist looks entirely unlikable, but at the same time you feel there has to be something behind her greediness. I'm so curious to find out more!
Also, super neat art.
Thank you!
I'm very glad you're interested in Zheng! Hopefully the story will slowly put them in a more flattering light.
I'm really hoping that people will be able to grow to like Zheng as they play through the VN even though they aren't exactly the nicest or most moral of protagonists!

darlingdraws
Tumblr: darlingdraws

#7 Post by darlingdraws »

Hi there, ho there! Background artist here!
I'm fresh as a daisy on these forums but I'm real excited for this project, we've got some really great things up our sleeves.

Anyway, I got a nice juicy comp sketch of the king and queen's throne room for you all!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

Oooh I love the design of the characters and backgrounds.

Good luck with your nano. I like the premise as well. >w<

Weenily
Regular

#9 Post by Weenily »

Gosh those sprites have such crisp lineart and that detail! Zheng's smile is really cute in a borderline sinister way haha.

@darlingdraws
Welcome to the forums! The background looks lovely so far, I really like the detail and that rug!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#10 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Oh. Wow. That was amazing premise, amazing cast, AND amazing art. I don't care how long this will take, I want it done. It's just. Too good to be kept from the world.

Keeping my eyes on this one!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

Good luck with NaNo! :D

Lumenue
Projects: Dere Dere Dere!
Tumblr: honeybeeauty
Deviantart: slutspectre

#12 Post by Lumenue »

I'm really excited for this, everything looks awesome! I really like the "everyone has a secret" bit - it makes the story all the more enticing to me, and the art is absolutely stellar. Prince Shun looks like such a cutie, I can't wait to see more of him!
More than 1's and 0's
I will edit your work and give REAL critique!

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#13 Post by PeroxidePrince »

@KittyKatStar: Thanks a lot!
@Weenily: Thanks so much! I suppose the slight sinister feeling in Zheng's appearance is part of their unique charm, haha.
@Ghost of Crux: Ahh, thank you very much! We'll definitely be working hard to try and complete the game in a month, but even if it goes over that, we're all pretty determined to see this project through regardless!
@MimirollCookie: Thanks a bunch!
@Lumenue: I'm glad you like Prince Shun! He's one of my favourites to draw, haha. Thanks very much!

Did a bit of work on the UI today! Here's some screenshots as well as a bit of a preview of Princess Yanyu.

Weenily
Regular

#14 Post by Weenily »

That GUI is really pretty and neat!! The paper texture is nice and the font sare easy to read and look good with the decorations.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#15 Post by Elze »

OMFGOSH I've been waiting for someone to release a Chinese VN and HERE IT IS!! * D *
I'm really excited to see this, and I love how Princess Yanyu has the authentic Chang-Er kinda hair xD SO much love!
Plus that GUI is really, really gorgeous. I can't wait to play your game and experience what it's like to "take on the role of Zheng, the Witch"~