⋘ Reflections on the River ⋙ • [Fantasy][NaNo16][COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)
Projects: Through the Panels
Organization: STARDUST★SODA
itch: stardust-soda

Re: ⋘ Reflections on the River ⋙ • [Fantasy][Friendship][NaN

#16 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Weenily wrote:That GUI is really pretty and neat!! The paper texture is nice and the font sare easy to read and look good with the decorations.
Thank you!
Choosing fonts was a bit of a struggle, but in the end I thought a simple serif font would do since the UI has some intricate details. I'm really glad to hear your feedback!
Elze wrote:OMFGOSH I've been waiting for someone to release a Chinese VN and HERE IT IS!! * D *
I'm really excited to see this, and I love how Princess Yanyu has the authentic Chang-Er kinda hair xD SO much love!
Plus that GUI is really, really gorgeous. I can't wait to play your game and experience what it's like to "take on the role of Zheng, the Witch"~
Thanks so much! I'm happy that you're interested in our game!
I used to think Chang Er's hairstyle was really cute when I was little, since it looked like bunny ears... I couldn't really pass up the chance to draw it, so I put it into some of the concept sketches. Luckily, the hairstyle was also sweetstrawberry's favourite, so that's the one we went with!

PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)

#17 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Update time!
We didn't post updates over the weekend, since Sweetstrawberry and I mostly spent it writing. I'd estimate we're a bit past the halfway mark at the moment!
As for art, all the sprites have been inked. I'm starting on colouring & drawing in expressions now.
Depending on how long that takes, as well as CGs, I might be able to squeeze in some sprites for villagers or guards.
For now, here's a preview of Princess Yanyu and Prince Shun's sprites!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#18 Post by Lesleigh63 »

What a pretty GUI.

Can't wait to see the characters coloured and a coloured background.

Good luck with Nano.

Pick_One
Regular

#19 Post by Pick_One »

The thing about this game that caught my attention was the historical Chinese setting. But what made me definitely interested in trying the game is that we get to play the Witch, who currently appears to not be so nice.
(although who knows, one needs to know the whole story before calling judgement)
I'm sort of curious about this jewel, I did spontaneously thought of an idea of what it might be, although it might be really off. I'm definitely very curious about the Witch, Zheng. I have some questions for Princess Yanyu as well and wonder about her relationships with other characters. I like the sprites, it's very nicely drawn and has a distinct style. Also the lineart is great. The background sketch looks good, I can't wait to see the finish backgrounds.

I'm having some spontaneous theories about the story and characters, so I can't wait to play the game. Anyways, good luck with the project! It's looking solid! :)

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#20 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Lesleigh63 wrote:What a pretty GUI.

Can't wait to see the characters coloured and a coloured background.

Good luck with Nano.
Thank you very much! I'm nearly done with the sprites, so hopefully I will be able to post some previews soon.
Pick_One wrote:The thing about this game that caught my attention was the historical Chinese setting. But what made me definitely interested in trying the game is that we get to play the Witch, who currently appears to not be so nice.
(although who knows, one needs to know the whole story before calling judgement)
I'm sort of curious about this jewel, I did spontaneously thought of an idea of what it might be, although it might be really off. I'm definitely very curious about the Witch, Zheng. I have some questions for Princess Yanyu as well and wonder about her relationships with other characters. I like the sprites, it's very nicely drawn and has a distinct style. Also the lineart is great. The background sketch looks good, I can't wait to see the finish backgrounds.

I'm having some spontaneous theories about the story and characters, so I can't wait to play the game. Anyways, good luck with the project! It's looking solid! :)
Thanks so much!
I definitely don't think Zheng's particularly nice, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily bad or evil. I'm very glad that you are interested in playing as a protagonist who isn't always the good guy in the scenario.
Haha, I'm really happy that you've been able to think up theories for the story & characters since our introduction in the first post is a bit vague. I'm surprised that you'd find Princess Yanyu questionable, but super interested in why you'd think that.
You might just be right in being suspicious of her... But that goes for the majority of the cast, I guess!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#21 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Seriously-- how do you stylize something in a style I'd never thought it would work in, and make it SO GOOD?
Because that's the only thing I can think of when seeing your sprites.

The GUI is absolutely great as well-- basically, I love all the art assets. It's just all so good. I really, really can't wait for this.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#22 Post by Zelan »

"Bananas in pajamas are coming down the stairs, Bananas in pajamas are chasing teddy bears."

I know that's probably filler text but I'm going to hold out hope that Zheng actually says this somewhere along the line.

Candy☆Giants
Regular
Projects: Five Star Freeloaders
Deviantart: idrawbases

#23 Post by Candy☆Giants »

Casually freaking out over your beautiful linework, here. Very interested to see where this goes! ♥

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#24 Post by infel »

This looks amazing =D. I really like the idea. What I also love is the character art. It's a very unique style and it matches the story perfectly. Also the backgrounds are beautiful =D. I wish you the best of luck with this. We need more fantasy games XD.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#25 Post by PeroxidePrince »

All the main character sprites are finished! Here's an awkward family photo of the royal family as a preview for now. (I'll post Zheng later!)
I've put them in all smiling because when I showed sweetstrawberry & darlingdraws the finished sprites as a family photo with random expressions they were like "I like how they're all super not interested in being in this photo". But now it just seems like the family's enjoying an inside joke you're not in on. Tragic.
So far, I've also been able to squeeze in some extra sprites for the palace guards. I'm hoping I'll have time to get to one last sprite this weekend, since that character has a small role in both routes.

@Ghost of Crux: Thanks so much! I'm really glad you're looking forward to the game haha. We've been having fun working on it so far, so we're excited to see how the project will turn out!
@Zelan: I wish. Sadly, we'll probably not be able to include that. I'm already having trouble writing serious scenes because I just want to make silly jokes and puns... I have to control myself.
@Candy☆Giants: Ahh, thanks a bunch! ★
@infel: Thank you very much! I've been in the mood to work on a fantasy setting for a while, so NaNoRenO feels like a good time to have a go. Hopefully it all turns out alright haha.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#26 Post by Zelan »

Oh, those sprites do look really nice together! Outstanding work on all of them. ^_^

And I am totally okay with silly jokes and puns. Don't fight it... join the dark side.

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#27 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Zelan wrote:Oh, those sprites do look really nice together! Outstanding work on all of them. ^_^

And I am totally okay with silly jokes and puns. Don't fight it... join the dark side.
Thank you!
Haha, I've already had to tone it down... I look at all the dramatic bits Sweetstrawberry's written so far, and then I'm there, ruining everything with bad jokes.
I've had to really pick and choose which ones I wanted to leave in. A true struggle.

PeroxidePrince
Regular

#28 Post by PeroxidePrince »

I managed to get round to the last "if I have time" sprite in the end. I'm pretty chuffed about this, because this minor side character kind of grew on me. So now I'm trying to fit him into more scenes haha...
As far as writing goes, one route is complete, and the other has one and a half more chapters to go. Sweetstrawberry even managed to write an extra ending in, so now we're up to 7 different endings!

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#29 Post by potouto »

Oh the minor character is actually pretty good-looking :0 Nice the see the progress is coming along well though
I'm excited to see the final product of this game !

yeah well | commission | website

Pick_One
Regular

#30 Post by Pick_One »

Sprites looking super nice and pretty :D Yay for more extra sprites! Hooray for more endings! \(^_^)/