The Phantom of the Hospital [GxG/B][Comedy, Romance] [2016]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

The Phantom of the Hospital [GxG/B][Comedy, Romance] [2016]

#1 Post by Didules »

Image Genres:
Our title is too long for LSF...
-[GxG/B]
-Comedy
-Friendship
-Romance

Image Synopsis:

Helena has always justified her irresponsible life of partying with a smile and more beer. She wanted to live life to the fullest and not waste a single day on things she saw as “boring”. One day, though, one glass too much gets her into the hospital where she enjoys the company of her overly caring best friend Mel and handsome but kind of mysterious young man Alex. She finds herself in an unexciting environment where, although she likes the company she’s in, she still feels trapped and empty.
But, her boring nights become exciting when she hears a story of a phantom that roams the hospital in late hours and so, she sets her mind to investigate the story…

Image Characters:

Helena
Mel
Alex

Image To be expected:

- Around 40 minutes of gameplay? Maybe more?
- Cuteness?
- 2 CGs (planned)
- 2 endings, one with each character

Image Progress report:

-Art: 3/3 sprites, 2/2 BG, 0/2 CGs
- GUI: done
-Writing: Rewriting
-Programming: GUI coded, waiting for the complete script to code

-03-05: added some more pictures about the sprites, and a screenshot of the main menu

Image Authors notes:

"This is a story about friendship, romance, life and, uhh... well... phantoms! It's made in a humorous way, tackling every topic lightheartedly which should make you smile at the end (depending on which route you'll take ;) ).
It's the second production of our team which has made their debut in the early 2016 and is here to give you more fun and more interesting games to play!
As it is our first NaNoReno, the game isn't very ambitious or pretentious, it's just meant to give you a good time! :)"

Beware: may contain some mature jokes said in immature ways. Our characters are around 20~ after all....

Since we're new to all this, every feedback is very much appreciated!:D

Image Credits:
Main Artist: Didules
Main Writer: RockAn9el
Second writer/proofreader: Minilys

Here we go!
Last edited by Didules on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: The Phantom of the Hospital (GxG/B Comedy,Romance,..) [2

#2 Post by Alcor »

Oooh, I'm enjoying the premise of this story! The characters are also looking good (my favorite is Helena), and I really love the logo.

I enjoyed Midnight's Cafe, and I'm looking forward to what your team can do this month. Good luck!

Didules
Veteran

#3 Post by Didules »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Oooh, I'm enjoying the premise of this story! The characters are also looking good (my favorite is Helena), and I really love the logo.
Thanks a lot! Logos aren't my forte so hearing this makes me more than happy ='D Also thanks for liking Helena, we were worried her personality would be a no-go for most people :lol:
ALCOR_etc wrote:I enjoyed Midnight's Cafe, and I'm looking forward to what your team can do this month. Good luck!
Omygosh, thanks a lot for playing Midnight's café!! We really hope you will enjoy this game as well!! We'll do our best to finish the game on time (though we'll finish it whatever may happen of course) Thanks a lot for your support!!! :D

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by try10 »

It really seems nice and the art is cute. I'll be playing this game when it's released. Good luck! ;)

Didules
Veteran

#5 Post by Didules »

try10 wrote:It really seems nice and the art is cute. I'll be playing this game when it's released. Good luck! ;)
Thanks a lot!! Since the story is a light-hearted comedy, the art was made to match it, thanks for confirming it works! :D Thanks a lot for your support :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#6 Post by MimirollCookie »

OMG. Look at your artstyle! It looks cute and cool at the same time!
And the concept is interesting! I'd be interested on playing this!
Good luck!!

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#7 Post by Seigetsu »

Thanks for the GxG option! There aren't enough GxG games out there, so I always get excited when I see one in-the-making.

The premise is interesting, and I really like "mature jokes said in immature ways". I wish there can be a doctor character route seeing as the setting is a hospital, but considering it's a nanoreno project, two routes are already quite challenging. Best of luck on everything! Looking forward to playing this game when it's released.

Didules
Veteran

#8 Post by Didules »

MimirollCookie wrote:OMG. Look at your artstyle! It looks cute and cool at the same time!
And the concept is interesting! I'd be interested on playing this!
Good luck!!
Thanks a lot!!! It makes me really really happy to see you like my artstyle!! (❁´▽`❁)*✲゚* ♥
We will do our best to bring this game to you on time then :D

Seigetsu wrote:Thanks for the GxG option! There aren't enough GxG games out there, so I always get excited when I see one in-the-making.
I completely agree with you, we lack some GxG option (meaning we lack some diversity in our games...), that's why we were so set on making one (and because Mel is too cute). If I may say so, the fluffy romance is with Mel in our game, Alex has a more of a friendship route ;)
Seigetsu wrote:The premise is interesting, and I really like "mature jokes said in immature ways". I wish there can be a doctor character route seeing as the setting is a hospital, but considering it's a nanoreno project, two routes are already quite challenging. Best of luck on everything! Looking forward to playing this game when it's released.
Haha, about the mature jokes, at first they weren't meant to be, but since the characters are grown-ups (or at least they're 20 or so, Alex being 23-24) and since Helena is somehow strong-willed and a bit shameless, they came naturally when the writer was plotting a scene :lol:
As always with our game, I'd say we're not excluding the idea of making the game longer/adding some routes/adding some choices (and so on and so on), but for now we will focus on these 2 characters and these 2 routes :3
Oh and I know the clothing changes from a country to another but Alex is wearing interns' clothing ("intern" or "junior doctor" depending on your country) :)
Thank you very much for the support!! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Hi.In.Ni
Regular

Re: The Phantom of the Hospital [GxG/B][Comedy, Romance] [20

#9 Post by Hi.In.Ni »

If I read properly there's going to be childish penis jokes and I'm craving that. Also, cute and friendly characters, nice. I'm totally into this project, can't wait to see more of it.

Side Comment: I just finished my degree in videogame developement, and I'm really good at finding loopholes in story, character and design, and also providing solutions. I'm like a beta tester but for design instead of mechanics, haha.
If you need any review or feedback with the script, lore or whatever, be sure to message me because I'd love to help you with this project.
Please, check my NaNoRenO entry!
That was easy!! [NSFW] [BxG/B] [NaNoRenO2016]
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37491

Didules
Veteran

#10 Post by Didules »

Hi.In.Ni wrote:...
haha, "childish penis jokes", that's a quite accurate way to say it somehow :lol: It's not really vulgar though! Thanks a lot for your support :D
Oh, wow, thanks! For now we're making/gathering the resources, so we're not in need of help, but I'll keep your propostion in mind since a gamejam is a constant rush, we may be in need of some advices about the overal graphic coherence, etc :) Thanks a lot!

And here is our very first update!
Big pictures ahead ;)
So the expressions of the sprites are mainly done, apart from Helena's sprite, they are to be exported soon (trying to find a way to export them without a too low quality)
dididi.jpg
dadada.jpg
(real pictures are big so click on it to see more details) Because the real file for the sprites is really really big so I did go very deep into details, and wish you could enjoy it as well :lol:

Here's the full sprites, I realized I didn't even show it to you, with their relative heights! (Yeah, the feet don't have any color since they're not to be seen :lol: )

I've also been working quite a lot on the GUI (ok quite a lot may be overselling it, I've actually just finished the Textbox but it's not coded yet and doing the main menu :lol: )
I have yet to code it (with idle and hover and stuffs).
I'll be working on the BG tomorrow, this should enable us to show some screenshots for the textbox(es) :)
I know the main menu looks really simple, but I'm bad with the UI, and I'd rather spend more time on CG and less on the UI, sorry :P
Though if you have anything to say about it, I'm all ears! Everything is subject to changes at this point of the dev! :lol:

(There are more posts on tumblr since there are almsot daily updates)

See you tomorrow for the next update!
Last edited by Didules on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

The GUI looks cute!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Hi.In.Ni
Regular

#12 Post by Hi.In.Ni »

Really nice so far, good job!!

Tip for the interactuables in the GUI: outline them in white, so you can tell them apart easily from the back ground!
Please, check my NaNoRenO entry!
That was easy!! [NSFW] [BxG/B] [NaNoRenO2016]
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37491

Didules
Veteran

#13 Post by Didules »

MimirollCookie wrote:The GUI looks cute!
Thanks a lot! :)
Hi.In.Ni wrote:Really nice so far, good job!!
Tip for the interactuables in the GUI: outline them in white, so you can tell them apart easily from the back ground!
Ooh, that's smart, you're right! I'll change it as soon as I can!! :D Thanks a lot for the advice!!

Didules
Veteran

#14 Post by Didules »

Here comes a BIG update!

There are only 2 BG for this game (maybe a 3rd if we have the time), and they'll be quite simple, but here is the draft of the first one: the bedroom! Okay they probably don't look like hopsital rooms, but honestly I've tried my best (and I hate hospitals, truly), so let's say it looks like a hospital, 'kay? :(
The second one has its line done, so we can't see much because of how thin the lines are :'D

Also the texbox has been coded!
I may increase the size of the text though, because it seems a bit hard to read, even in 1280x720! (The picture above is 800x450) (unless you think it's okay?)
It slightly changes for narrative parts:
When Helena will talk, her sprite will appear at the left of the text box, right on the (+) (or so I wish)

My aim will now be to make changes to the choice menu, and it's something I've never done before so the best time to try my ahnds at it is totaaaaaaaally a gamejam, right? Right? Right? Guys? :lol:

Also the writer sent me a draft of a few scenes, it'll probably be longer than what we aimed for, but I can assure you it'll be funny! Unless you're a tombstone (and then you're a very wierd tombstone, interested in otome games? I have nothing against tombstone of course!), you'll have to at least smile once or twice! :)

See you soon lovely people! :D

PS: probably a few big updates this week, because next week RL will be painfully busy
Last edited by Didules on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#15 Post by Zelan »

That logo is lovely; very eye-catching. I like the concept as well! I'm always a fan of comedy anything so count me in.

I think the hospital room looks fine (although admittedly I haven't been inside a hospital in like 7 years so who knows). The textbox looks cool as well - simple but fits the theme. (I like the second font size as well.)