Chasing Your Tail [BxB] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Shadow Wolfwind
Regular
Projects: Comeuppance
Tumblr: chiizusando

Chasing Your Tail [BxB] [NaNo16]

#1 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

Chasing Your Tail
Warning: Game will contain graphic violence and death.

Story
Greystroke is a wild rat who lives on prairie with a community of other rats. He feels threatened by a new rat, Schrich, in his village who can steal from the local human household better than he can. Eager to prove that he is a better thief, he takes a big risk by attempting to steal a ring Schrich is desperate to get.

Features
20-30,000 words
Three Routes
Nine Endings
Original Music
Some CGs

Characters
Greystroke
"I'm going to beat him. No matter what."
A broken hooded blue rat. Greystroke learned the art of stealing by his father and is the only rat from his village who dares to steal from the humans that is...until Schrich came along. He is determined to prove to Schrich and the village that he is the best thief.

Fennel
"May the earth embrace you."
A Essex Beige rat. He is loyal to Greystroke who is best friend and has been his playmate since they were small. He knows little about humans and spends most of his time foraging for food on the prairie.

Schrich
"Oh, just give him some neck scratches. Cat's love neck scratches."
A dumbo Irish black rat. Arrives in Greystroke's village out of the blue and using cleverness and wit, he has charmed everyone in the village except for Greystroke. His past and reason for leaving his previous home is unknown.

Blaze
"You are a foreigner, so you are unfamiliar with our society."
A Siamese odd eyed rat.
Captain of the guard at a colony of rats who live in the human house's crawlspace. He can appear emotionless and takes his duty very seriously.
Team
Shadow Wolfwind - Writer & BG Artist
YuukiCrossPudding - Artist
Kumiho and Miyuu - Proofreader
Lukedoc321 - Composer
gavneco1 - Programmer
Camy- GUI

Progress
Writing: 65%
Sprites: 100%
CGs: 0%
BGs: 1%
GUI: 50%
Music: 5%
Programming: 10%

Recruitment
If there are any artist out there interested in joining a project, I could use a colorist (and maybe even a line artist) to help color the backgrounds. And voice actors. Voice actors would be awesome~ If we don't find any during NaNo, I'll go hunting for some afterward.

Questions
1. What are your general thoughts, feelings, impression of the premise?
2. Which character are you interested in the most and why?
3. How do you feel about having few choices? How do you feel about bad ends that involve death of a character?
4. How do you feel about rats in general? Do you think this game will change your opinion of them?
5. Any further thoughts, comments or questions?
Last edited by Shadow Wolfwind on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

Re: Chasing Your Tail [BxB] [NaNo16]

#2 Post by Kumiho »

OH MY GOSH IT'S UP I'VE BEEN WAITINGGGG! Super excited for this VN okay /// although I also get to read it early omg *u*

I think it's super unique! I love the fact that the story revolves around rats being rats -- gay rats. 8'D

I'm most interested in Schrich, mostly because I love the rivals -> lovers trope in general ;u; And his personality sounds super awesome, too. Also his sketch is attractive af

3. How do you feel about having few choices? How do you feel about bad ends that involve death of a character?
I'm completely fine with only having a few choices! :) Saya no Uta is one of my favorite VNs, despite all its flaws, and it only has like 2-3 choices throughout the entire VN. I'm not as fond of bad ends in pure, story-oriented VNs (as opposed to games with fighting elements), but as long as they're executed in a way that doesn't seem, well, cheap, as though I've just wasted my time playing the VN, I'm completely fine with them! :)

4. How do you feel about rats in general? Do you think this game will change your opinion of them?
Hamsters > Guinea pigs > Rats. It's possible that after I've read the VN, Rats > Hamsters > Guinea pigs.

Nope! Good luck with the VN, and I seriously am in love with the sketches *u*

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular

#3 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

Haha. Did you get the link to the script? Half of its up like I promised. I'm going to attempt to finish Schrich's bad route tonight. Let me know what you think when you're finished reading through it.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#4 Post by runeraccoon »

SCHRICH THO? I can't. What's with those soulful eyes. I mean, I can't. //crai
Good luck! Rats concept lmfao IDK whether to be horrified or squeal due to cuteness.

> Having a few choices is okay if the game is short, I guess? Death in a bad end sounds okay, it is a bad end afterall. Just don't make a character die no matter what I choose (and considering the choices are few, this is heavily emphasized). I think, however, a dying bad end etc feels fit more of interactive/adventure/RPG games than VN... idk. D: I'm conflicted about this.

SCHRICH THOUGH HAMG I wonder if I will get over him?

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#5 Post by Ertal77 »

Ooooh, it looks good! The characters are really cute, and I'm curious about how these anthropomorphic guys will interact.

Hmmm, all of them?

I like having my heart broken when I read/watch, so character death is okay for me (and I don't think I'm alone in this, a good story should provide feels!). I'm torn about having few choices, it depends on the writing. Sometimes I get so engrossed in the story that I don't feel as making choices and they put me off the story, but sometimes they are an intrinsic part of the game.

Well, one of my first crushes with a story was "Nimh", an animated movie about rats, so...

Not at the moment.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#6 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Sounds fine to me.

Schrich - like the drawing of him and I like his personality.

A few important choices is all I need. Bad ends with death don't worry me.

Usually I don't like rats but there have been a few stories over time involving them (I'm old enough to remember 'Ben'.)

Good luck with Nano.

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular

#7 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

fuicchi wrote: SCHRICH THOUGH HAMG I wonder if I will get over him?
Wait until you see his winking expression. Yuuki has finished inking his sprite. I'll post it up sometime tomorrow.
Ertal77 wrote:Well, one of my first crushes with a story was "Nimh", an animated movie about rats, so...
Secret of Nymh is one of my favorite kids movies! It was difficult trying to avoid borrowing anything from that and Watership Down which I finished reading last month.
Lesleigh63 wrote:Usually I don't like rats but there have been a few stories over time involving them (I'm old enough to remember 'Ben'.)
I had too google it. XD;; I recognize the song, but I've never seen the movie. It sounds odd and fascinating.

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular

#8 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

Yuuki finished inking the sprites for Greystroke and Schrich.

The other characters are sketched as well.

I'm going to try to finish Schrich and the secret character's routes and then work on some of the backgrounds.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#9 Post by runeraccoon »

HI DERE SHRICH /////////////

Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

#10 Post by Nekobako »

OHHHHH HERE IT IS! THE RAT BL!!!!

I don't have a lot to say for the questions but I'll do my best ^ o^

It sounds like your pretty standard fable. Warning up top's got me a little scared though ;;;;;;

Schrich is a cutie. I wanna know about his mysterious past.

I mean, I play kinetic novels so.... really it depends more on what works for your novel and what you're trying to achieve than a specific "correct amount". Character death bad ends are fine. They're not really uncommon. And it makes sense, given the premise <:3

Pet rats are fine, wild rats can gtfo. But I mean....no? Unless it's a realistic (and realistic is key) approach to the hard life of rats that also counters their negative stereotypes, I don't think anybody's going to seriously walk away with a different opinion of rats. It's fiction, not a nature documentary.

Just good luck! The art looks nice and I'm looking forward to the finish product :3

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#11 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Schrich is still my favourite.

He even looks a bit rattish, with his fingers curled like that.

Nice work.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

It's interesting enough to keep me reading, but as of right now I'm not overly excited. It's definitely unique, though.

The secret character - I'm very curious as to why he's a secret. :3

I like having choices in visual novels - in fact, I don't really play kinetic novels - but I don't like too many choices, especially when they don't affect the outcome and are just there for the sake of there being more choices. Concerning death, I don't mind it at all as long as it contributes to the story and, again, isn't there for the sake of being there.

I like rats. c: Obviously it wouldn't be smart to try and touch a wild one, but they don't freak me out. And I love pet rats - I would get one or two if I didn't have three cats. cx And my opinion probably won't be changed unless you're planning to try and turn me against them.

So... are they like shapeshifter rats or something? Or are they real rats being portrayed as anthropomorphic? The reason I'm asking is because I see that humans and cats figure into the plot, and I can't quite understand how that would work with humanoid rats. cx

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#13 Post by infel »

I like the idea. When reading it being about a rat I was surprised, but also very interested. When I saw this thread in recruitment I actually though they'd be drawn as animals, but wondered if not then how would the artist make them look ratline. I'll say they did a good job with that =D. The guys look good. But anyway yeah, the story is good and something I think will interest me greatly =D.

Schrich because I want to know more about his past, and he has a calm look despite being the sneaky type. The other characters are nice to =D. Excited to see who the secret character is XD.

For few choices I don't really mind. I read visual novels for the story and characters and not so much for the choices. For this game it seems to make sense you'd only go with a few. As for death of a character, I don't really mind, but I'm going to try to get the good endings. Seeing these characters die would be sad ;-;.

I don't like rats, I admit. I think Ratatouille did make me like them a small bit more, but not my much. Don't worry though, I still play your game =D.

Only that I wish you the best of luck =D. Oh and thank you for making this BxB. We need more of those XD.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#14 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Lesleigh63 wrote:Schrich is still my favourite.
He even looks a bit rattish, with his fingers curled like that.
Nice work.
Aww thanks! I'm glad someone noticed <3 I did that intentionally, but not sure if it's good or not.
and I noticed a lot of people prefer Schrich (he's my favorite too lol)

Here's a bit of preview for the sprites c:
Image Image

Smexy

#15 Post by Smexy »