Who Killed My Father Academy! [Otome] [Comedy] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
walyeli

Who Killed My Father Academy! [Otome] [Comedy] [NaNo16]

#1 Post by walyeli »

Who Killed My Father Academy!

...is a comedy otome game about a girl entering a prestigious academy for one purpose and one purpose only: to find and exact revenge upon her father's killer.

Once she is introduced to the school's elite student council--five gorgeous boys who are all very interested in her, she starts to wonder...could any of them have had something to do with my father's murder?

The thought's unspeakable, but it could be true, and if it is, winning a date at the academy's annual Valentine's day auction is the one way to find out.

The Cast

Crispin - The President

Charming, polite, and refined, Crispin is the essence of a well-put-together young man. If you had to pick someone out of a crowd to be the president of something, it would probably be him, and he would accept without any protest whatsoever.

Dux - The Vice President

An archetypical bad boy in many ways, Dux honestly seems to engage in a lot more debauchery and sweet talking than he does actual council work, but at the end of the day he knows how to get it done. Often called a disgusting little man.

Victor - The Secretary

If the boy next door did not actually live next door and instead lived far away from you in a much nicer house, this would be Victor--sweet, protective, and nonthreatening. He's got some connection to our protagonist, but she's sure not going to tell us beyond any vague hints.

Lucas - The Treasurer

He wears glasses, a buttoned up polo shirt, and knows how to deal with numbers on paper: this guy is a nerd. Below his aloof exterior is most likely a just as aloof interior..or, that is, unless you get him alone.

Ellis - Special Assignments

No one but Ellis himself is quite sure what exactly 'special assignments' means, but if you ask him you're just going to get a very vague answer surrounded by a lot of "um"'s. He's not particularly good at expressing himself, but damn does his hair look good.

Gia - Your Best Friend

Gia isn't on the student council, but she deserves to be here anyway because she's just that sweet. Your roomie and new bestie, Gia will probably follow you to the ends of the earth and support you in all future endeavors while also bringing along snacks.

Some Features
  • est. 1-5 hours of gameplay
    6 different route endings
    a very cool true end
    est. 20k words
    multiple sprites for all characters
    interactive dialogue choices
Progress
  • Script - main plot - 99%
    Script - character routes - 15%
    Sprites - 1%
    Programming - 0%
Addendums

This is my first time participating in nanoreno and also my first time making a visual novel! I'm just doing everything by myself for now. I'll be trying my best to keep it short and sweet so I can have something to show off at the end! I'm a writer by trade so my focus will be mostly on story and characters. All the character portraits I have here are just concept and might change! I'm hoping to go for like a pixel art-ish style with the sprites. Please let me know what you think!

Dev blog link might go here soon!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Who Killed My Father Academy! [Otome] [Comedy] [NaNo16]

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

Welcome to NaNoRenO! (This is only my second year doing it too.)

I like the premise of this game -- a comedy whodunnit is an interesting twist on the dating game formula and could be a fun way to subvert some of the clichés in them.

I also like how the concept art uses simple lines and bold colors, particularly for Gia and Dux.

While sound and visuals are important, I think it's great that you're focusing on story and characters, particularly for a first VN. Good writing is always the most important factor for me in choosing which VNs I play, and there are certainly other players who'd agree.

Best of luck!

Image Image

walyeli

#3 Post by walyeli »

Wow this is a late response because I've been busy but thank you for the encouragement! I hope I can deliver on the interesting premise.

Updates: this week it was a little hard to get a lot done, but I finished one route and about half of another. I also started in on a sprite, which took way longer than expected, but it's still exciting! Needs work though.

Sprite:

this is a rough draft of Gia! You can also obviously see a rougher draft in my current icon. I've gotten more or less the lineart and flat colors down but there's still some anatomy stuff I need to get down as well. This was pretty time consuming so I might just cheat and crop this (and all future sprites) below her shoulders so no one has to know I can't draw torsos? I'm concerned though then that the sprites would be a little too small. Feedback would be appreciated!

Script excerpts:

Some screenshots! The format might be a little confusing but I promise it's funny stuff.

This is from the main story when our protagonist first meets the council! Dux is gross.

From Gia's route, which is finished! She has a thing for jelly beans.

From Ellis' route, which is currently in progress but is shaping up to be very wild.

Percentages update:

Script - main plot - 99%
Script - character routes - 25%
Sprites - 10%
Programming - 0%

I'm tentatively hopeful about being sort of finished by the end of the month! Spring break is coming up for me so that should give me more time to work on everything.

Also my dev blog is now here though there is nothing yet on it! That will be rectified soon.

walyeli

#4 Post by walyeli »

I don't totally know the policy on double posts on here, so I apologize if this isn't allowed! Anyway, some updates:

Base Ellis sprite with flats is done! I really love how this came out; his hair was an endeavor. Next up is Victor's, which I've already started.

I haven't made any big leaps and bounds on the script lately so I'm still on Ellis' route, but here are some fun excerpts from the protagonist's narration.

These are all even funnier in context, I swear.

I've realized that at my current pace I definitely won't be getting anywhere close to finished by the end of the month, but I still hope to have a playable demo with a route or two finished to show off for Nanoreno.

Percentages update:

Script - main plot - 99%
Script - character routes - 30%
Sprites - 25%
Programming - 0%

I am not very good at logging updates here so I'll probably try to put more stuff on my dev blog to see if that pace works better for me. Either way I'm really excited to get to a point where I can show off something playable!