12 Steps [Dark][Drama][NaNo '16] - Screenshots + Vid!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
JustSkyLarkin

12 Steps [Dark][Drama][NaNo '16] - Screenshots + Vid!

#1 Post by JustSkyLarkin »

Hi all. My name is Sky and this is my first attempt at creating a video game that isn't some silly pong ripoff. This is a solo project as I left it way too late to even think about forming a team. Whoops.
I enjoy programming, but I don't have an artistic bone in my body so this game is going to look a little "different" as I'll be using other skills I have in my palette (basic Photoshop skills haha) to complete it.
I hope to get this finished by the end of March, but I'm not going to go nuts if it doesn't happen.
Um.. hi.

About:

12 Steps is a game about addiction and the struggles that take place in breaking free from it.

Synopsis:

You play as Abby, a 28-year-old alcoholic taking the first step in battling her addiction. She has burned many bridges, but has the chance to start rebuilding them again.

Can she do it?

Does she even want to?

That’s up to you.

Features:

Multiple game endings
81 relationship outcome combinations (3^4) - This is not as complex as it sounds! I'll explain later :)
5 people to converse with
6 locations
Fully voiced

Characters (brief):

Abigail "Abby" Haines. 28. Alcoholic.
Jack Haines. 35. Abby’s sibling. Father-of-two.
Kathryn "Kathy" Jefferson. 27. Female. Abby’s ex-fiancée.
Clara Dixon. 28. Female. Abby’s childhood best-friend.
Norman Rhodes. 55. Male. Abby’s neighbour.
Robert Walker. 32. Male. Abby’s sponsor.

Team:

Programming/UI Design/Writing/Photo manips/Everything else except voice acting = Sky

Progress:

Concept/Story 100%
Script 5%
UI 95% (I worked by butt off on this, almost complete)
Backgrounds 80% (free & paid for stock photographs edited in PS)
Character Art 5% (paid for stock photographs edited in PS)
Music/SFX 50% (CC – Thank you already to Robert Currie for his work)
Voices 0% (waiting script completion)

Screenshots:

Here's just of a few screenshots of in-game!

(credit to http://faestock.deviantart.com/ for the temporary use of her stock image)

Video (March 9th)

Here's a quick video of what I've done so far :)

Updates

1. Game has been divided in 5-6 chapters. Chapter 1 is almost complete script-wise.
2. More voice actors have signed on to help with this game (yay!). Still looking for a few more (2 women, 1 male aged 60+).

3. Currently working on the interaction portion of the game. This is what gamers will be able to click on to choose which person they want to visit:

Feel free to give me feedback and ask questions. I'm a complete n00b though, so please do bear that in mind!
Last edited by JustSkyLarkin on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ysid

Re: 12 Steps [Dark][Drama][NaNo '16] - In Game Screenshots!

#2 Post by ysid »

That's quite a project, especially in a month! I hope you can finish it on time, looks like an interesting concept.

JustSkyLarkin

#3 Post by JustSkyLarkin »

ysid wrote:That's quite a project, especially in a month! I hope you can finish it on time, looks like an interesting concept.
I hope so too! I'm not too concerned about the coding aspect, but the writing is certainly a daunting task! D:

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#4 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Good luck with your first project.

JustSkyLarkin

#5 Post by JustSkyLarkin »

Lesleigh63 wrote:Good luck with your first project.
Thank you Lesleigh! :)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

You know, for something that's supposedly your first VN-- it looks really, really. GOOD. It looks g r e a t, and I am definitely interested on the subject. I really hope you release it, even if it's after NaNo!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#7 Post by MimirollCookie »

It looks like you're nervous while making your post.
Hi all. My name is Sky and this is my first attempt at creating a video game that isn't some silly pong ripoff. This is a solo project as I left it way too late to even think about forming a team. Whoops.
I enjoy programming, but I don't have an artistic bone in my body so this game is going to look a little "different" as I'll be using other skills I have in my palette (basic Photoshop skills haha) to complete it.
I hope to get this finished by the end of March, but I'm not going to go nuts if it doesn't happen.
Um.. hi.
Um.. hi.
Don't worry! Your project is interesting! Just a little of this and that then yay! Improved it!
Just don't get nervous! When you finish this game, I'll make sure to play it btw! For a first vn this IS interesting :)
Hope you get surprises and joy while making your project. :)
(I'm not being rude btw i'm giving you motivation :wink:)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

JustSkyLarkin

#8 Post by JustSkyLarkin »

Ghost of Crux wrote:You know, for something that's supposedly your first VN-- it looks really, really. GOOD. It looks g r e a t, and I am definitely interested on the subject. I really hope you release it, even if it's after NaNo!
Aw, you're too kind! :) If I don't hit the NaNo deadline I'll still be finishing this up and realising it. I'm mostly using NaNo as an excuse to get my arse in gear really!

I've just edited the main post with a short video showing the game in it's current state! :)

HusbandoGoddess
Tumblr: Goddess-of-Husbandos

Re: 12 Steps [Dark][Drama][NaNo '16] - Screenshots + Vid!

#9 Post by HusbandoGoddess »

I've been anticipating your post announcing your NaNo project, Sky! :D It's unfortunate that you couldn't gather a team in time but you seem to be handling fine on your own!

I'll be keeping an eye out on this one. Good luck, pal! <3

Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

#10 Post by Nekobako »

Gurlll that UI is g o r g e o u s. This whole thing looks so good. VNs with filtered photo bgs usually put me off (I'm sorry everybody!), but you've just put this together so nicely that even though honestly the premise isn't my usual type of thing, I'm gonna try it anyway.

Good luck!

Pick_One
Regular

#11 Post by Pick_One »

Hey, I have to say that I feel pretty impressed by how much you have shown here and how it's presented nicely. I'm interested in the drama and the different relationships that Abby will be involve in and could possibly rebuild. The neighbor is the one that sort of stand out for me, probably because I have never been really close to my neighbors, so I'm wondering what their relationship was like before and how it is now, as well as how important it is. Of course I'm also interested in the other relationships as well, and wonder how much it got affected by Abby's addiction. Also, I want to know how these relationships will affect Abby herself, and her struggling battle.

I think 81 relationship outcome combinations is alot, and I just want to say that it doesn't need to be that many if you start to feel burn out because of that amount. I really think "quality over quantity" applies here. Take your time with writing out the character interactions since it seems like that's the core of the game. But of course, if you can make that many without burning out, it would be very cool to see that many outcomes in the game!

I think the UI looks nice and clean. I like that you added the back button, I can't remember too many visual novels with that option. I know some creators that manipulated stock images for their own games, and it turned out looking very good and well done. Personally, I'm fine with what you have done with stock images posted here. They don't look out of place or odd to me. I saw the video and I think the music sets the serious tone of the story very well. The voice acting sounds good to me, Robert sounds natural. This is good, sometimes I seen people get turn off by the voice acting in visual novels.

Anyways, got to go now, but good luck on your first Ren'Py visual novel! :)

JustSkyLarkin

#12 Post by JustSkyLarkin »

HusbandoGoddess wrote:I've been anticipating your post announcing your NaNo project, Sky! :D It's unfortunate that you couldn't gather a team in time but you seem to be handling fine on your own!

I'll be keeping an eye out on this one. Good luck, pal! <3
Aw, thank you so much :D And yeah, kinda sucks working solo, but I enjoy doing this a lot so I'm not too bothered!

----

As a general update, I am currently working on the interaction portion of the game. This is what gamers will interact with when choosing who they would like to go and see:

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#13 Post by YossarianIII »

This looks cool! As everyone's said, the UI is very nice, and I like that it's tackling more serious subject matter.

I'm excited to see how the 81 relationship combinations will work out. It sounds like it'll give the player a lot of options.

One thing I'd recommend (which you may already know) is to be careful about photos with people's faces in them, since even if a photo is in the public domain, you might not have the rights to use a person's image. I'm guessing you'll be fine with paid stock photos, but it might not hurt to double-check the license.

Best of luck!

Image Image

PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)
Projects: Through the Panels
Organization: STARDUST★SODA
itch: stardust-soda

#14 Post by PeroxidePrince »

I'll definitely be looking forward to see your completed game!
The subject matter is quite different, and I'm so interested in how all the relationship outcome combinations will turn out.
I'm also liking the filtered photo look. It's done well, and goes nicely with your UI.
Best of luck with NaNoRenO, and for your first VN!

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#15 Post by Weenily »

I really love games that focus on relationships and gosh 81 combos sounds really fun. Those screenshots look so good and omg Jack nooo. The filtered photos and the GUI look amazing, everything just works! Good luck with your project!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.