Rules They Abide By [Romance][GxB][NaNo16] - COMPLETE

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

Rules They Abide By [Romance][GxB][NaNo16] - COMPLETE

#1 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

UPDATE: I've finally finished it!! Better late than never right?! I've got a simple page in place and a button to download it straight from my website.
http://www.cerastudios.com/rules-they-abide-by/
Thanks everyone so much for your comments and interest! I hope I was able to deliver on an interesting story at the very least.

Straight-laced Misao Suzuhara is new to her teaching career. Fresh from a University in Tokyo, she lands a home room role for a class of third-year high school students in rural Gunma prefecture. But Misao's bland and carefully-planned life takes a turn for the unexpected when she piques the interest of a mysterious and underachieving student bent on teaching her some real life experiences of his own.

Misao Suzuhara:
“I’m so hopeless. I’m a bad teacher and a bad person…”
A young teacher straight out of university in Tokyo. Kind hearted and straight-laced, Misao struggles with her new role realising that she lacks the real world experience needed to help her students through their last year of schooling.

Shoichi Arai:
“You’re so gullible and naive, these seniors here are going to eat you alive.”
An underachieving student who spends most of his classes asleep. Despite his quiet classroom manner, Shoichi boldly begins to pursue Misao when away from the prying eyes of his classmates.

Risa Inoue:
“Yeah? Well, what would you know… You’re just a kid yourself!”
A boisterous, trouble-making student of Misao’s. She harbours an instant dislike of her new teacher seeing her as acting ‘snobby’ and ‘morally superior.’

- Branching story.
- Three possible endings.
- CGs.
- Original Theme Song.

Concept: 100%
Story Script: 100%
Sprite Artwork: 100%
CG Artwork: 100%
GUI: 100%
Coding: 100%

Cera L. Hendry
Concept, story, character art, design, coding, pretty much everything except backgrounds and music. ;)

Additional Credits:
Uncle Mugen - Background Resources.
Means Of Release - Theme Song.
PyTom - Renpy Engine

WIPs & Artworks:

Image Image

Image Image Image

Not as risqué as it sounds, *raises eyebrows* or then again, maybe it is?? I’ve gone for something so different from my usual work. XD I’m out of my comfort zone, but still keeping it classy.

Rules They Abide By is a mature coming-of-age style story set amongst a modern Japanese school setting. I’m going to have a sex scene or two in it but it’s nothing I’d consider NSFW. I will be giving it an ‘older teen’ rating though, just for the sexual content, some swears and adult themes. To be honest I was a bit hesitant about exploring a teacher x student dynamic at the beginning but it's not an uncommon theme in anime/manga pop culture and I ran my concept past quite a few people who approved of it.

It’s been an interesting little story to write, short stories are my Achilles heel. ^^; Not to mention this is my first time writing anything remotely sexual-based and with real defining multiple paths / endings.

You can follow more updates and my other projects on:
FacebookTwitterTumblrDeviantARTOfficial Website
Last edited by Cera L. Hendry on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

Hi.In.Ni
Regular

Re: Rules They Abide By [Drama/Romance][GxB][NaNo16]

#2 Post by Hi.In.Ni »

Woah, teacher x student! That's wrong! Wrong!! Wrooon.....Yes, please, Thank you.
It is a risky choice, but then again the age difference is not that big, so as long as consensual and beautiful it will be okay I guess. There could be a bad ending if you try to be forcefull too. BAD END: PRISON!! Hahaha.

On a side note, I have seen this "Coming of age" this a lot lately but I really don't understand what it means (maybe because i'm not a native english speaker I guess) what's the whole thing about?
Please, check my NaNoRenO entry!
That was easy!! [NSFW] [BxG/B] [NaNoRenO2016]
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37491

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#3 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Ahaha indeed. :D I made sure the age gap wasn't too big but there will be options, and the endings will be dependant on how you decide to approach the situation (being a morally grey area) as well as how you deal with certain people. You can be naughty or take the moral high ground here. ;)

Um I guess you could say 'coming of age' is a loose term to describe the moment someone enters adulthood, or becomes mature. In this situation I've actually used it more for my female character as she's lived a very sheltered existence until now. ^^

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#4 Post by Sayumi101 »

A NaNoReNo project from the creator of Ex Astris? I'm so following stalking this!
I never actually got round to leaving feedback on Ex Astris, but I've most definitely been hooked, by the story, by the world and most definitely Ash.... -internal fangirl scream-

That being said, this project seems to be a (welcome) deviation from that genre. Honestly speaking, the title reeled me right in here, since who doesn't love a conflicting sort of romance? X'D More so is a straight-laced naive is being picked on by a younger guy, lol. I like the look of Arai already .-.

Anyways, Really looking forward to your approach to this story line/theme!
Good Luck on NaNoReNo!! <3
ImageImageImage

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#5 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Thanks for the feedback Sayumi! :D It's always so interesting to meet who's out there, my new resolution is to be more active in the VN community. ^^; Nano seemed a good way to do that.

You're right, this is SUCH a welcome change from writing Ex Astris! XD I'm writing in first person too (which I prefer) so this little Nano is totally a breath of fresh air lol. I'm also testing the waters on the romance side of things for Ex Astris, I will be getting to those moments eventually and I'm not sure how far I want to take the scenes etc... You know, without being too corny? Ehehe.

I'll need to check out your nano too! I've been so buried in my own I haven't had the chance to check out much else yet. :3 Best of luck!!

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#6 Post by Fox Lee »

I actually wish Misao was a little older, given the propensity of anime stuff to feature significantly older men going after way younger girls :p But it sounds like Shoichi is the more active participant, so I'll have to save my fantasies of older-woman-seduces-younger-man for another time ;p

For once, I'm actively glad that the younger characters are "of age" in all but the most conservative cultures - if something actually illegal was going on, it would be a lot harder to bring ethics and emotional maturity into it. Like, if statutory rape (by the standards of your most likely audience, setting actual age restrictions in various countries) is involved in a nominally serious/sensible story, that would kind of override any discussion of personal ethics you wanted to have :p So, definitely a better choice.

Anyway, the romance doesn't sound like it's for me (I'm really only interested in worldly girl > naive guy, when it comes to het stuff) but that's a matter of personal preference. It looks like a very interesting story! And a more mature treatment of the subject matter, without veering into "deconstruction" territory. Sounds like it will be really sweet and thoughtful. Good luck with the jam! :)

Grammar nitpick: she would "pique" his interest, not "pike".
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Cera L. Hendry wrote: Straight-laced Misao Suzuhara is new to her teaching career. Fresh from a University in Tokyo, she lands a home room role for a class of third-year high school students in rural Gunma prefecture. But Misao's bland and carefully-planned life takes a turn for the unexpected when she pikes the interest of a mysterious and underachieving student bent on teaching her some real life experiences of his own.
Is she dealing with a quarter life crisis? I'm curious as to how she relates to other people in their twenties. (I have had times when I felt out of place in my age group...)
Fox Lee wrote: I actually wish Misao was a little older, given the propensity of anime stuff to feature significantly older men going after way younger girls...
I looked through the Categories section of MangaUpdates.com ("Baka Updates"). Three potentially interesting things that I found:

Student-Teacher Relationship -- usage: 1408
Older Male Younger Female -- usage: 1004
Older Female Younger Male -- usage: 1206

I think that on Baka-Updates, the word "usage" is equated with "series which contain instances of __" However, I could be wrong.

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#8 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Pique! Aahh no I've been making an idiot out of myself! T_T Been using the wrong word forever...

Yeah I was careful to keep everyone of adult consenting age, so the dilemma comes more from the whole 'professionalism' side of things. It falls into the 'grey' area where it's not ethically correct, but if the student didn't happen to go to senior (not compulsory in Japan), that would mean she wouldn't be his teacher and then it would be perfectly fine.

And hey I'm cool with your preference for the older overbearing lady. Maybe next time I explore that dynamic. ;) (Or at least a Yuri version? Mwhaha)

---
Is she dealing with a quarter life crisis? I'm curious as to how she relates to other people in their twenties. (I have had times when I felt out of place in my age group...)
Culture Shock I think. XD I remember my early 20s being a pretty confusing time, even more so than being a teenager... I could only try to get my head into my character who's at that age and has just left uni and the big city for a rural town and a rowdy bunch of seniors. (Gunma prefecture is really beautiful though. I'd happily live there over Tokyo XD)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#9 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Sounds interesting.

Looking forward to it.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

For some reason, this reminds me of something I learned from my history teacher this week: in my school district, a teacher is allowed to call one of his or her students, but not to text the students. However, it is perfectly okay for a teacher to text a student in any other school, even in the same district. Weird, but ehh. cx

Anyway, I was a little uncertain about the premise, but seeing as you're being careful with it I'm willing to give it a shot. ^_^ Looking forward to it!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

I like Risa! She's so pretty! The plot is interesting!
Good luck. :D
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#12 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Art update!
-----------
I've completed the sprites and updated them on the profiles above. :D I have one more outfit each to do for Misao and Shoichi and I'll probably pop them up on my DA page or Twitter when they're done. ;) Then it's on to the UI, and then coding. I'll most likely save the CGs for last and see what time frame I have with them and how many I can get away with.

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#13 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

NUUUuuuu. I'm not gonna make it by the deadline!! T_T

I've started piecing it together in Renpy now and I'll admit, I am quite fond of how it's coming together. So I really don't want to rush this and come out with something half-arsed that I won't be proud of. I'm settling on having it completed behind schedule in April.

I've posted new artwork WIPs and sprites up on the main post, and updated my progress percentages.

This month has been pretty rough one on my personal life (and health) to be honest. I'm actually pretty amazed I've accomplished what I have considering all things that have happened. Thanks everyone for the support / comments / new follows. I'll keep doing my best. :D

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#14 Post by MimirollCookie »

You can do it.. Just post a demo! :wink:
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#15 Post by Ran08 »

From the creator of Ex Astris... *gasp*

To be honest, I'm not too fond of teacher-student relationships in stories, but count me in on your audience list! I'm definitely looking forward to this!

And as for the delay... aww, that's okay! Don't worry, we'll wait. :D I know I sure will. Hahaha. Good luck!