The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, COMPLETE)

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, COMPLETE)

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Summary: Carolyn has forgotten her doll outside in the backyard and is now deep asleep. With the upcoming witch's hour, her doll worries that she might not be able to find a way to return inside the house to protect Carolyn. To her luck, the brother's pet tarantula appears after a hunt. With some persuasion, the tarantula reluctantly agrees to carry her back to Carolyn, hopefully before it is the witch's hour.
Characters
(That is one ugly doll I made.)

Doll

Carolyn's precious doll, passed down from her mother, who received it from her grandmother. Just like she has done for those two, she protects Carolyn every single night from deadly creatures when the witch's hour approaches. Is her only toy, so she's the only line of defense.
(Less fuzzy, and now has eyes.)

Spider

The brother's pet tarantula. Enjoys escaping his tank from time to time whenever the boy forgets to fully close the top. Has a habit of hunting for frogs and mice. Doesn't believe in monsters, ghosts, and so on. Used to talking toys though, but not moving ones. Biggest fear is scorpions.
Progress
Writing: 100%
Sprites: 100% (I REFUSE TO DO ANY MORE WORK ON THEM!)
BGs: 100%
CGs: 100%
Music: 100% (I think)
GUI: 100%
Coding: 100%
Big Note: Before uploading this, I'm going to have a couple beta readers go through it first to find any errors I might have possibly missed. Anyway, please excuse me while I do my celebration dance.

Notes: Running behind due to real life issues, house hunting really sucks up a lot of time. Anyway, because of said issues, I've decided to only do a short kinetic novel this year. (Decided to make a thread only after the story was complete with SOME kind of logo.) This way to hopefully ensure that I finish on time. Expect no cute art whatsoever. I'm going to do something different drawing wise, hopefully it'll turn out decent. I'll be slowly updating this, since I'm going solo once again. (Now please excuse me while I bang my head while trying to draw a decent spider both spritewise and cgwise.)

Edit: Such ugly sprites.
Edit2: And now time to *coughslazilycoughs* make bgs.
Edit3: I have succeeded in making the most lazy bgs possible.
Edit4: To save myself some time, there will be times the background will turn entirely black for a few seconds. So please keep that in mind. Almost done!
Edit5: ALL DONE!
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Chancellorchile
Projects: Monster Kid Go! (NaNo '16)(Unfinished)
Tumblr: Chancellorchile
Deviantart: Chancellorchile

Re: The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

#2 Post by Chancellorchile »

I support this so hard! I can't wait to see more of it! I really like horror genres and that seems like a really great concept that can go a lot of places!
Check out my NaNo'16 WiP!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Don't expect too much from me, there's really only two characters. And the original draft had them only talking back and forth, so had to spend two days rewriting to make it more interesting.

Anyway, update wise, got the basic design down for the spider, hoping the style above won't hurt any eyes once placed with a bg. Might change it later if I have to. (He's so FUZZY.) Fun fact: I forgot to add his eyes.
ImageImageImageImage

SugarScares
Projects: Alice's Reverie, Monster Kid Go!
Organization: Autumn Sun

#4 Post by SugarScares »

Dolls, horror, AND adorable pet tarantulas? I'm already on board!

As someone who's had a lot of experience with tarantulas, lack of eyes aside, I'd say your drawing looks pretty accurate! (Also I just love fuzzy tarantulas so I don't see that as a downside)

Good luck on this project, it's always impressive to see what a person can do solo!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Hope I can live up to your standards when I make his other sprites and the cgs. (With eyes!)

I have learned something today. The Corel Painter Essentials program is the worst to attempt making sprites. It's a good thing this kn is pretty much an art experiment type, hahahahaha. Otherwise I'd be crying blood from the utter failure that is the Doll sprite.
ImageImageImageImage

Candy☆Giants
Regular
Projects: Five Star Freeloaders
Deviantart: idrawbases

#6 Post by Candy☆Giants »

I legit had to scroll real quick past the spider. xD

That said, unique concept! Lookin' forward to this... even if I might have to look away at times. :D

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#7 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I apologize Candy, but there's always going to be a spider on screen the moment he appears. He's always theeeere.

Anyway, today was spent making 3 more sprites, and cleaning some up. (Unfortunately it's hard to spot those white pixels, so going have to resume cleaning the spider's again later.) Still need to make 2 more at the very least.

Also did a little bit of coding. By that, I mean copying and pasting the entire story into the editor and making tiny edits so the game would load up properly. Much more work left to do, blargh.

Here's the first lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 325 dialogue blocks, containing 5,810 words and 30,964
characters, for an average of 17.9 words and 95 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 0 images, and 12 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Lodratio
Regular
Projects: S P H I N X

#8 Post by Lodratio »

If you want to speed up your srpite creation process you should consider developing a workflow that makes it easier. For example you can have your drawing on a seperate layer. Make sure not to eyedrop the background color and use that to paint away things you don't want, but always use the eraser for it. Then you can quickly color in the inside of your sprites (you can even use a select tool to make it more clean) on a third layer, turn your first one into a transparent alpha layer and bam, there you go.

I'm learning this the hard way as well... it's just so difficult to force yourself to slow down and do clean work from the beginning.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Oh I know how to do it. (Not my first time making sprites, and this is my second nano.) It's just that the program I use, Corel, it's a PAINTING type. The problem seems to be when I use the "Dissolve" brush to make that fuzzy effect. I've managed to figure out how to find the white pixels and already got rid of them now. I just don't want to end up "spamming" my own thread each time I've finished a single sprite and such. (Might as well edit original post again to show hahaha.)

With this being a horror kn and a nano, I'm experimenting with my art programs that I got along with my Bamboo a few years back. Sketching, outlining, and paint bucketing in Sai (My sketches are pretty messy so a quick outline is required), paint it up in Corel, then moving it to Photoshop to clean up the white pixels.

After the upcoming 2 sprites are done, I'll be working on the bgs, which will be easier for me. I'll probably need 9 of those at least. After bgs, I'll need possibly...maybe 11-12 cgs. (If I have the time hopefully, otherwise readers will probably be staring at a black screen.)

So much work to do, but the result will be oh so satisfying~
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Update: As of yesterday (the 13th) sprites are officially completed. (And no one can tell me otherwise because I wasted enough time with them.)

Started progress on bgs, 2 1/2ish down, a whole bunch more to go. Which leaves me with 7 more. Hooray.

Also did a bit of work making the textbox and quick menu. Have a lil sneak peek. Might be changing text color later, since it even hurts MY eyes.

And of course, the next Lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 326 dialogue blocks, containing 5,809 words and 30,958
characters, for an average of 17.8 words and 95 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 11 images, and 12 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Update: All bgs are complete. Only because most of them were very simple due to me using "shortcuts" considering how small our protagonists are. The real challenge, will be my many, many cgs. I can only hope my hand and sanity will survive.

Here, have a preview of the laziest bg ever, a pink blanket.

From how things are going so far, you guys won't actually be seeing the sprites that much. So I might end up using them as part of my menus instead so they don't go to waste, hahaha.

Anyway, here's the next Lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 329 dialogue blocks, containing 5,804 words and 30,928
characters, for an average of 17.6 words and 94 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 18 images, and 12 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#12 Post by MimirollCookie »

The doll and the spider are so creepy! The doll made me shiver! Good job on making me terrified. :lol:
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#13 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Haha, you're welcome. It seems though I do not currently have the ability to bring out the full creepiness/scariness/etcness that I wish to show. So once again in this nano, everyone will have to suffer terrible art. (Feel free to mock the art all you wish as you're reading the kn in the future, I won't mind at all hahaha.)

I WILL try though to the best of my ability to at least make you want to click away as soon as possible. But for now, it seems I might turn some cgs into edited bgs. And the very first cg I ended up using photo paint. Repeatedly. To hide how terrible it looked. I'm very serious about the photo painting usage.

I didn't bother to edit my original post since I only really "made" one cg and an edited bg. I COULD add it to the gallery maybe. Then you can point and laugh at it all you want. =D

No lint for today. But I will post a safe teeny tiny sneak preview.

ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#14 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Update: Got sick the night of the 18th so fell behind. So wasn't able to finish all of my cgs yet. Instead I spent some time searching for music aaaaand sound effects. That's right, sound effects. So I suggest in the future to have no headphones on, or if you do, put the volume down. Some specific sounds might hurt your ears. (And possibly make your stomach queasy too, like they did to mine.) My art may not give you the chills, but the audio just might~

Sneak preview of my lazeh cg.

My word count, it keeps changing with each edit I make.

Statistics:

The game contains 337 dialogue blocks, containing 5,840 words and 31,122
characters, for an average of 17.3 words and 92 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 23 images, and 12 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

Re: The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, COMPLETE)

#15 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Update: All done! Will probably upload it tomorrow!

Final Lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 337 dialogue blocks, containing 5,838 words and 31,126
characters, for an average of 17.3 words and 92 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 46 images, and 14 screens.
ImageImageImageImage