Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [NaNoRenO 2016] [COMPLETE!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Republic of Stories
Organization: Freelance

Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [NaNoRenO 2016] [COMPLETE!]

#1 Post by Electromancer »

RELEASE UPDATE

It is with immense pride and happiness that we announce we have finished version 1.0 of Fare Thee Well! The free, short, kinetic novel is now available for download on our itch.io at:

We would like to personally extend heartfelt thanks to every single reader of the Lemmasoft Forum who checked this project out while it was in development, showed interest in it, and looked forward to its release.

Thank you very kindly, and we hope you enjoy the game!
Fare Thee Well — The story of a lonely man.
A wanderer, a wayfarer, a stranger,
And the sleepy town he found in the snow
One winter night.
Watercress is proud to present our work-in-progress title for NaNoRenO 2016.

Overview

A short, kinetic visual novel set on the Canadian border during the years 1967, 1987, and 2002. Heavily inspired by traditional folk music, each act of the plot is named after and dedicated to a beloved folk song. The character-heavy story will focus on the theme of the beauty and tragedy of the passage of time.

This will be our team's second entry into the NaNoRenO celebration after last year's Palinurus: The Ocean of Stars (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=31434), and we hope we can pull off a solid story two years in a row. Wish us luck, everyone. This project is much larger and more ambitious in scope than our previous ones have been, and considering we are starting with only 11 days left in the official duration of NaNo...

...it's going to be an adventure.

Synopsis

In the winter of 1967, a young man enters out of the snowy night into a bar in the sleepy town of Cedar on the northern frontier of Maine. He takes off his gloves and rubs his hands together. He slips out a golden pocket watch from inside his coat, checks the time, and gently places it back. Closing his tired eyes, he stops to think.

He is a wanderer cursed with eternal youth, sent out by fate forever to roam the world, never to find a home.

The bartender approaches him when he takes a seat and he pays for a drink so he can stay. The liquid in the glass shines slick like oil under the dim lights of the bar. Warmth fills the wanderer as he downs it in one gulp. After that he sits awhile to rest but knows he can't stay. Just as he gets up to leave, he notices something happening in the corner of the room.

A girl in a green dress is about to sing.

Concept Art

Image Image
Contact Us

Watercress is a non-profit studio of over thirty volunteers located all around the world consisting of writers, artists, musicians, and programmers that have all united in our soulful desire to create art through the form of the visual novel. Since our formation in the summer of 2014, we have worked tirelessly day and night to make the stories we dream come true.

For our NaNoRenO 2016 project, our team consists mainly of five writers, three artists, and four musicians from within the studio who will all be working together to create the best game we can muster.

To learn more about us and our work, please feel free to contact us at our website (http://watercressstudios.com/), our Twitter (https://twitter.com/TeamWatercress), or my own Twitter listed in my profile to the side.

Thank you all, and wish this very, very, very late entry good luck!
Last edited by Electromancer on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

Candy☆Giants
Regular
Projects: Five Star Freeloaders
Deviantart: idrawbases

Re: Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [NaNoRenO 2016]

#2 Post by Candy☆Giants »

The art is absolutely lovely. Best of luck you guys!

OptionalSauce
Completed: Palinurus, Fare Thee Well
Projects: Avitus, Our Home.
Organization: Watercress

Re: Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [NaNoRenO 2016]

#3 Post by OptionalSauce »

Candy☆Giants wrote:The art is absolutely lovely. Best of luck you guys!
Thank you very much! We'll be hard at work making this the best it can be! I'll be doing a massive amount of writing this week. :D

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

Re: Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [Drama, Historical] [NaNoRenO 2

#4 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

I totally love the plot and those characters, also interesting choice for the time setting (1967? I bet it'll have a nice atmosphere)
Also the arts are really great, looking forward to see the finished sprites <3

Even there's only limited time to work on the VN, I believe you guys can do it!
or if it's not finished in time, I'll still look forward to play the game c:

Nephalos
Completed: Palinurus, Fare Thee Well - Watercress Studios
Projects: Avitus, Numerous League of Legends Fanfiction Stories
Organization: Watercress Studios

#5 Post by Nephalos »

YuukiCrossPudding wrote:I totally love the plot and those characters, also interesting choice for the time setting (1967? I bet it'll have a nice atmosphere)
Also the arts are really great, looking forward to see the finished sprites <3

Even there's only limited time to work on the VN, I believe you guys can do it!
or if it's not finished in time, I'll still look forward to play the game c:
It'll be the first time (for me, at least) working on a VN that involves so much time progression. It'll be a rewarding challenge to help write.
Image Image

OptionalSauce

#6 Post by OptionalSauce »

Update for everyone!

The first sprite set has been completed, so here's a look at Emmeline!

We should have more sprite sets completed soon, and the writing and music are progressing well.

We'd love to hear what you think of the sprite, please let us know!

OptionalSauce

#7 Post by OptionalSauce »

Here is a look at our working title screen.

Imagine the Ren'Py menu buttons below the text. :D

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#8 Post by Fox Lee »

GGGSHSFHK those first character concepts are so effortlessly beautiful! I mean I'm sure plenty of effort went into them, but they're so simple and gorgeous, you (or your artist?) make it look easy >3>; Those faces are so perfect, I honestly spent a while just staring at them. Enchanting.

If it's on the Canadian border, any chance one of song the references might be something along the lines of "One Warm Line"?

Anyway, I really hope you succeed with the NaNo goal - you're brave to jump in this late! <XD But as a team it seems attainable, and it seems like nobody is super uptight about the deadline :p Good luck! :D
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]

#9 Post by Electromancer »

Hey Fox! Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement. Sadly, that song will not be in the game, but here's a list of traditional folk songs that will be mentioned, referenced or even sung in the story:

The Wayfaring Stranger
I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow
Dink's Song
Loch Lomond
An Irish Rose
The Parting Glass
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

Electromancer
Regular

#10 Post by Electromancer »

Just a small update to anyone who's following the development of the game: it doesn't look like we'll be able to meet the official NaNo end date of April 1st, but we will still try our absolute hardest to submit the novel before the submission period on itch.io ends at midnight on the 8th. We've hit a lot of unexpected roadblocks during development but we're still trying our absolute hardest.

Wish us luck!

Electromancer
Regular

Re: Fare Thee Well [Kinetic] [NaNoRenO 2016] [COMPLETE!]

#11 Post by Electromancer »

RELEASE UPDATE

It is with immense pride and happiness that we announce we have finished version 1.0 of Fare Thee Well! The free, short, kinetic novel is now available for download on our itch.io at:

We would like to personally extend heartfelt thanks to every single reader of the Lemmasoft Forum who checked this project out while it was in development, showed interest in it, and looked forward to its release.

Thank you very kindly, and we have you enjoy the game!