The Doomed Diner [Horror][NanoReno2016]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: The Doomed Diner [Horror][NanoReno2016]

#16 Post by MimirollCookie »

Wow. Dario Fulci must've suffered. :shock:
A music box?! I cringe when horror has music boxes. (Ex. The Conjuring.) Anyway the 2 BGs are perfect. :)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#17 Post by Fuseblower »

Thanks, the name "Dario Fulci" is actually a reference to two Italian horror directors : Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci.

Working on my "talking heads" now. For dialog I though it was a nice idea to have the heads of the characters in a ring on the screen instead of the usual "sprite in front of the background". It also saves time drawing :lol:

For establishing shots and action scenes, etc. I'll use full body sprites on the background. As soon as the characters start to talk, these little heads pop up. So far I got about half of Mary Vittima done. She has the most heads because she has two outfits. I'll also go for speech balloons. Don't worry : I'll write more accurate for those in the game :lol:

I'm so not gonna make the end date...

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#18 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

With this being one of the few horror nanos, my heart is broken to know it will not be complete by the 31st/1st. (But I will wait so I can read and laugh maniacally as they suffer...please ignore that last bit.)

On time or not, good luck!
ImageImageImageImage

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#19 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I like the art style and your backgrounds.

PeroxidePrince
Regular
Completed: Cooked with Love, so obscure;, LAST CALL, Reflections on the River, PANGS (you are hungry.)
Projects: Through the Panels
Organization: STARDUST★SODA
itch: stardust-soda

#20 Post by PeroxidePrince »

Oh wow, the art for this is so unique and great! The illustrations capture that retro comic book aesthetic well.
I really dig the look of the talking heads and the speech bubbles instead of the standard VN layout, too.
I love a good horror story, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how it all comes together! Cheering you on!

Fuseblower
Regular

#21 Post by Fuseblower »

How art thou fallen from Heaven, Lucifer morning star... May this thread be a monument to Hubris and be a warning for future generations :?

Anyway...

Thank you people for your kind words. I will finish the Doomed Diner (I guess the thread should be moved to another forum).

Speaking of making the characters suffer... Here are the "talking heads" of Mary Vittima ("Vittima" is Italian for "victim", by the way).

These heads are only used for dialog parts. There will be half or full body sprites for action stuff.

Most of Mary is done in the 1940s waitress outfit that was found in the cellar. She will wear it throughout the story.

The uniforms of that time really looked like that. I got my cues from the book "Car Hops and Curb Service" by Jim Heimann showing some nice pics of waitresses of drive-in restaurants throughout the years. Of course, I made the outfit somewhat more skimpy... :roll:

Contrary to popular belief, waitresses on roller skates were rare but they did exist. In those days the wheels were made from wood (indoor use) or steel. It was only in the 1970s that polyurethane began to be used and that's when the whole roller skate craze began. See? I did research 8)

I'm pretty sure Mary is set up for .... the Doomed Diner :twisted:

I'll start working on the other girls and then on to the bigger sprites (also a couple of BGs still need to be made).

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#22 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Well at least you got something started.

Hope to see it finished (it's quite different to other VNs with the comic book style you're using).

Fuseblower
Regular

#23 Post by Fuseblower »

I will finish it. I'm having too much fun with Manga Studio to stop now (got it a month ago). Maddening features : eraseable ink lines, image flipping, applying watercolor over oil paint! Madness I say! :lol:

Anyway, working on the big sprites now. They open/establish scenes in the story. Here's one that doesn't give away anything : Mary donning the 1940s waitress outfit for the first time and Lucy finding it quite amusing. I see Yuri in their future, and I don't mean Gagarin :wink:

I guess I should leave this thread alone now. NaNoReNo is over.

But not without showing at least a little bit of horror :wink: