The Doomed Diner [Horror][NanoReno2016]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

The Doomed Diner [Horror][NanoReno2016]

#1 Post by Fuseblower »

The Doomed Diner

Hello, people! I'm a bit late to the game but have finally started the graphics for this year's NanoReno project.

The story is about three B-movie actresses who realise their "highschool-girl-in-peril days" will soon be over. In order to secure their future, they decide to pool their resources to buy an old, abandoned diner. This diner was the scene of a gruesome massacre 75 years ago.

Then the girls find a hidden cellar...

Yep! Highly original (patent pending). I'll throw in as many horror tropes as I can think of.

The graphics style is inspired by the old sensationalist horror comics of the 50s. That's where the ugly colors come from :lol:

While I've been procrastinating for the last 2 weeks, QFuss has made the haunting theme

I hope I can get the novel in some kind of working order before the end date...

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Re: The Doomed Diner [Horror][NanoReno2016]

#2 Post by Kinmoku »

Haha, this looks awesome! The 50s comic book art style really works. I hope to see lots of cool GUI throughout ^_^

Good luck!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

Kudos for thinking outside the box!
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

Really liked Tonteiteki Tokyo's art style. ESPECIALLY THIS! :D
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#5 Post by YossarianIII »

I like the style of art! Everything from the characters to the color to the text looks spot-on for that era. And that theme music is pretty cool too.

Best of luck with finishing!

Image Image

Candy☆Giants
Regular
Projects: Five Star Freeloaders
Deviantart: idrawbases

#6 Post by Candy☆Giants »

Awesome style, very fitting to the theme! Looking forward to the final product. :D

Fuseblower
Regular

#7 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you people! I'm not too sure about thinking outside of the box though, I just crawled into an older one :wink:

Here's the doomed diner itself

Yeah, I know. The colors insult my senses too. I would do it in grey tones but I only have one grey :lol:

At least hatching is fair play (but only with black).

Can't wait to draw the night/dark scenes. The color scheme works better for those and I can hatch the Hell out of them 8)

Speaking of the color scheme. Here are the 50s CMYK colors in their full garish glory

That and black (the "K" in CMYK, it stands for "Key", by the way).

Each primary (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) comes in 3 intensities : 25%, 50% and 100% (and 0%, of course). This gives 64 colors. And, of course, there's black.

Back in those days they used dotted screens (halftones) to optically mix the colors but I decided against the used of dots because I doubt such high frequency stuff would survive the JPEG compression scheme (which relies on taking out high frequencies).

And here are the three unfortunate girls who buy the doomed diner (oh, the harsh lines!)

From left to right : Mary Vittima, Helen Hemsk and Lucy Ferro. The three scream queens who decide on a change of career.

The visual novel is from a third person perspective. The player/reader doesn't play a single character but decides on actions for any of them. This way the story can hop from character to character to add suspense.

For example :

Helen peered into the dark hole. Even with the flashlight she couldn't see the bottom of the well. But there was a sound somewhere down there and slowly it grew louder.

Suddenly the music box started playing and its sinister tune filled the cold cellar.

Meanwhile, Mary and Lucy were outside cleaning the parking lot together.

Well, back to drawing :D

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by MimirollCookie »

So cute COOL!
The color scheme looks fabulously creepy! (Especially those broken windows are a cool feature!)
I really like Mary Vittima! She's so pretty. *u*
(Anyway, your drawing is so cool, like I mean is rare. Your talent is so unexpected. Then again, your drawing style is rare.:D)
Nice GUI BTW. :)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#9 Post by Katta »

This looks really awesome) And I like Lucy's skirt)))

Fuseblower
Regular

#10 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you people!

Here's the diner in 1941 when the massacre happened. The game opens with this one and then dissolves to the 2016 version (I'm sure Renpy can handle that).

Now, to the untutored eyes the perspective might be off but it's actually

German Expressionism indeed, as Youjyo Haraguro from Tenkeiteki Tokyo just confidently stated.

"German Expressionism". Remember that one for when your art teacher scolds you :wink:

I'm sure we'll see a lot of German Expressionism in scenes to come 8)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

Fuseblower wrote:Thank you people!

Here's the diner in 1941 when the massacre happened. The game opens with this one and then dissolves to the 2016 version (I'm sure Renpy can handle that).

Now, to the untutored eyes the perspective might be off but it's actually

German Expressionism indeed, as Youjyo Haraguro from Tenkeiteki Tokyo just confidently stated.

"German Expressionism". Remember that one for when your art teacher scolds you :wink:

I'm sure we'll see a lot of German Expressionism in scenes to come 8)
Ma-Massacre!!!?? Creepy.....................
(German Expressionism. :( )
Well, looking good Fuseblower. :D

QFuss
Projects: Tenkeiteki Tokyo, The Doomed Diner, Cat n Cavy

#12 Post by QFuss »

You just gotta love the skeleton hand trying to grab the burger in the title screen ;-)
(and the rest of course ;-)

Gr.:
QFuss

Fuseblower
Regular

#13 Post by Fuseblower »

Got two backgrounds ready (about 6 more to go)

(flips images)

Yep, more German Expressionism. One of these days I *will* start using that perspective ruler :lol:

Got to step it up. Eight more days left. Although I did read something about "first week of April"...

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by MimirollCookie »

Nice BGs you got there. :)
I like the color of the interior of the cafe. It's really adding a spooky atmosphere. Anyway, what kind of massacre is that? If it's a surprise, I get it. :wink:
Anyway, the van is so purplish. Not my favorite color, but I like it. :)
Have my best luck for NaNo. :D

Fuseblower
Regular

#15 Post by Fuseblower »

MimirollCookie wrote:Nice BGs you got there. :)
I like the color of the interior of the cafe. It's really adding a spooky atmosphere. Anyway, what kind of massacre is that? If it's a surprise, I get it. :wink:
Anyway, the van is so purplish. Not my favorite color, but I like it. :)
Have my best luck for NaNo. :D
Thank you.

The massacre happened in the "doomed diner" 75 years ago. The owner back then, Dario Fulci, went crazy one night and killed all of his customers and personnel with an axe. It is rumored he acted upon voices from beyond the darkness... Not all of the bodies have been accounted for...

People believe the diner is haunted and that's why it's never been sold.

Until the 3 protaganists come along, that is. The three girls don't believe in ghosts and think that the tainted history of the diner will add to the atmosphere.

But they soon find that the evil that caused that massacre is still present, even after all those years.... (makes spooky noises).

As for the van, I initially wanted it to be red. But for this project I've restricted myself to the 64 colors that were used in the old horror comics of the 1950s and I couldn't get a nice combination that worked with the background. I bet this is where the strange color choices of those old comics come from :lol:

The purple which the van is now has the advantage that it makes it "pop" from its yellow background. I always strife to get a strong color and a weak contrasting color to get a visual "pop" where I need it (for example : a saturated orange-ish yellow with a weak purple/blue).

Here are two new backgrounds I made today.

The diner's counter (note that everything in the diner is still empty because the three girls are in the process of cleaning up and reconstructing the diner).

And here is the cellar. The girls find the door to the cellar behind a cabinet. This is where the evil lurks (all the way in the back there's a small unholy room) but the girls don't know that. They're just happy to find an unexpected cellar filled with vintage bar stools, crockery, an old ice cream machine and even an old waitress uniform of the 1940s (the one Mary is wearing in the title screen).

I keep the game simple to get it finished soon but expand it afterwards to get the "true ending" in which the mystery of the diner is solved.

What that mystery is? Even I don't know yet. I only know it involves a music box :lol: