Wishful Thinking [GxB] [Supernatur] [Rom] [NaNo 2017] [DEMO]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Shades of Night
Regular
Tumblr: serilyn
Deviantart: shadesofnight

Wishful Thinking [GxB] [Supernatur] [Rom] [NaNo 2017] [DEMO]

#1 Post by Shades of Night »

Summary:
"So, I've been marooned on an island somewhere with a couple of... well, things that resemble people. And a small pink chest that apparently thinks it's a dog. Great."
Bubblegum has been stuck on an island with some rather... unusual company. What's a girl to do with all these handsome faces around? Ogle them or look for some way out of here?

Characters:
Main Character
(MC appearance isn't specified to give players the freedom to imagine her however they want.)
Bursting with personality. Whether that's good or bad... I'll leave that up to you to decide.
(Default name: Bubblegum, changing it is encouraged :P )

Gianost
Lacks originality.
"All I could really see of the second man was his hair, which looked like something straight out of an anime, long and the colour of a hotel room lit up with a black light."

Mhendes
Has his head in the sand.
"The man had hair that shone like an oil slick, skin the colour of burnt toast and eyes that reminded me unpleasantly of something the plumber once pulled out of our drain."

Dijaness
Is a bit transparent.
"He had hair like black mold that floated through the air in tendrils, skin pale as the belly of a fish, and the one eye I could see was burning with a putrid green glow I'd once seen in algae-infested water."

Art
Sprites: All coloured! Only expressions left.
Backgrounds: Sketch-versions done (since I won't be able to finish them properly in time).
UI: Main page, Textbox, Save/Load, and Preferences pages functioning, but with a couple of bugs I need to figure out how to solve...
Logo: Done!
CGs: Sketch-versions done.

Writing
Prologue: Done!
Arc 1 Part 1: Done.
Arc 2 Part 1: Done.
Arc 3 Part 1: Done.

Coding
Prologue: Done!
Arcs 1 to 3: Done.
UI: The abovementioned pages done except for those bugs.

Hello! I'll be doing this project on my lonesome, so if progress seems slow... that's why :P I'll pop in some quick character sketches and text snippets soon. Most of the names are currently temporary until I think of actual names.
Edit: Quick character sketches and text snippets added!

I wanted to try and do something simple for Nanoreno, and so gave myself this prompt to work with: 'One female Main Character stuck on an island with three very, very pretty men.'

I suspect that, as my creations tend to do, this may grow a bit bigger than I intended it to be. If that turns out to be the case I'll try to make a demo version instead of the whole thing for Nanoreno so I can hopefully still get it finished. Then I'll finish off the whole thing properly afterwards.

Edit: Just in case anyone was wondering where the concept sketches went, you can still find those on my Tumblr, here.
------------------------
The Nanoreno alpha Demo version of this is done! You can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ttrokl5ac80w ... l.zip?dl=0

Keep in mind that it's rough in some areas with a few bugs, check my post on page 2 for more information.

Last edited by Shades of Night on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: Wishful Thinking [GxB] [Supernatural] [Romance] [NaNo 20

#2 Post by Alcor »

Those sketches look terrific, and from the text descriptions, I'm definitely enjoying Bubblegum's personality. (Terrific name choice, by the way. I usually use custom names when playing VNs, but I'd be tempted to keep this one.)

I think solo projects are simultaneously stressful and relaxing (from my experience, at least OTL), and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Shades of Night
Regular

#3 Post by Shades of Night »

Thank you! And yes, Bubblegum certainly has a rather unique way of describing things :D Her default name is literally the first thing that came into my head XD

The relaxing part doesn't sound too bad at least, hopefully I can get it done!

Annd todays update: Mr F now has a very rough body, flat colours, and an outfit! I'm still fighting with his face :P

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#4 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh, this sounds like it's gonna be fun :) I'm loving your art, and that Mr F sketch has certainly switched my focus to him!

Good luck with it all! (Also, Bubblegum really is an awesome MC name :D )
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#5 Post by Mama J »

a small pink chest that apparently thinks it's a dog
Oh, sweet baby Jesus, you had me at hello.

I also love how you described each of the characters, it had be laughing :lol:
I suspect that, as my creations tend to do, this may grow a bit bigger than I intended it to be.
This speaks to me so much, you have no idea. With my team's projects, we always end up underestimating the size of the project because it just. keeps. growing!!

The art is phenomenal and the story sounds like something I could get into. Best of luck to you!

Shades of Night
Regular

#6 Post by Shades of Night »

Thank you both! Ohoho, well I just happen to have another freshly done sketch right here :D
Yes, Mr C wears a suit. On an island.

I blame Bubblegum for the descriptions. As soon as I started writing she insisted on showing her personality. That pink chest is another of those ideas that just popped up out of nowhere took off by itself :P

And yes, alas when you get bitten by the creativity bug these things grow like weeds. All you can do is hang on and frantically try to keep everything organized as you go XD

Shades of Night
Regular

#7 Post by Shades of Night »

Latest update: Mr M now has his rough base sketch too :D

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#8 Post by Agashi »

Wow, I don't know what Bubs is talking about! All three of these men look insanely yummy already... Though gods know I'm a sucker for any and all games with semi-realisitc sprites in them. :mrgreen: I'll definitely be looking forward to this one.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did you used to hang out in the BG fan community? The old Petals and Thorns forums in particular? I swear I remember seeing your avatar floating around out there... If so, I'm super pleased to see an old-school BG fan here! (And if not, please ignore me :oops: )
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

Shades of Night
Regular

#9 Post by Shades of Night »

She seems to have a bit of a knack for unflattering descriptions of people :D And I'm glad you like the look of them! They've been surprisingly cooperative... Well, most of them.

Ohh, yes I did hang out at PnT and in the BG community! And yep, I've stuck with the same avatar or slight variations of it for years now. It's so good to find another from PnT. Actually BG is one of the reasons I like the idea of VNs, I love old BG conversations and all the choices and branches that things can go on. It's just learning the sort of coding required to make a BG mod always seemed terribly daunting. Renpy coding is much less scary XD

Update! I've started poking about at inking and colouring with Mr C:

buxton1990

#10 Post by buxton1990 »

those spites look amazing. Can't wait to play Good Luck

Shades of Night
Regular

#11 Post by Shades of Night »

Thanks! :)

I've got a preview of how the inking and colouring is coming along for Mr M now too:

Still currently wrestling with the writing and coding, though most of the plot is worked out. Also fighting with designing the UI.

Shades of Night
Regular

#12 Post by Shades of Night »

I am making progress! Slowly!

We now have a logo:

I've also been working on writing, a little coding, and some of the UI design has finally decided to cooperate.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#13 Post by Harliqueen »

Ah, that logo is so cool :D

Loving the look of the sprites... Man, I am so pumped for this game!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#14 Post by Godline »

I'm so excited for this! :)
I cannot tell a lie. Hehe.

Keep up the good work!

Shades of Night
Regular

#15 Post by Shades of Night »

Thank you both! :D ... I just hope those sprites don't try to revolt on me when it comes time to do their expressions XD

Okay, here's some of the fun I've been up to with trying to get Mr F to cooperate...
https://68.media.tumblr.com/39c0741e839 ... 1_1280.png
https://68.media.tumblr.com/86bb71f8bb5 ... 2_1280.png
He's been so difficult that I even tried colouring his very rough concept sketch. Twice! I quite liked the first attempt, but there was still something off, it refused to ink right, and didn't fit with the others...

I'm finally mostly satisfied with him here (though still need to colour his gold...) :
https://68.media.tumblr.com/f10e5fdc220 ... o3_500.png

I got a fair amount of writing done on Arc 2 Part 1 as well (mostly during breaks at work...). The bad news is in the past week our phone/internet went out (it's finally back now) and one of my precious cats has had an injury, surgery, and I'm now constantly running around after him to make sure he doesn't pull his stitches out by reaching past the cone on his head.

I had wanted to try and make the demo longer, but I am strongly suspecting that now (what with full-time cat-watching) it will most likely end up on the shorter side. I still want to try and get it done, and after Nano I'll be sinking my teeth into getting the whole thing done.

Edit: I put the pictures in links because I'm getting a 504 Gateway timeout error every time I try to put pictures in this post.