What's Your Name? [COMPLETE, Nano2017]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

What's Your Name? [COMPLETE, Nano2017]

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Summary
Important announcement! The Mythical Creature Integration Program, also known as MCIP, are now accepting applications. The last batch of humans have all been paired off, and new mythical creatures have joined the program looking for humans to be their life partners. Send in an application as soon as possible as there are a limited number of slots available.

And now for a reminder from the MCIP to all human beings.

Never give a mythical creature your name.
Characters
Nameable Main Character
(Sorry no sprite for mc.)

Bachelor 1

Bachelors 2 & 3

Bachelor 4

Team
Sunlit-Dreamer: Writer, Coder, BG Artist
Amiralo: Sprite Artist, CG Artist

Itchio

Planned Sturf~
3 paths
15 endings, 3 of which are Happy Ever Afters
Around 21k word count. (Keeping it short so I don't overload us artwise.)

Progress
Writing: 100% (DONE)
Sprites: 100% (DONE)
BGs: 100% (DONE)
CGs: 100% (DONE)
Music: 100% (GOT THEM)
GUI: 100% (Minus the gallery...just isn't working for me.)
Coding: 100% (DONE)
Beta-testing: 100% (DONE)

Notes (AKA the section that'll be edited a lot)
Joined the last two years, so joining this year as well. Unsure if I'll finish this year or not (have to babysit my nephew, who's currently 3 months old, so yeah.), but will do my best.

Having an artist join me this year, the wonderful Amiralo! And tis for her that this year I'm writing an otome. (I feel like I'm genre hopping. Don't care~)

Might not update this very often in the beginning since focusing on writing first. (Can't make art without having a set story first after all, don't want to waste my time on bgs that possibly won't be used.)

Anyway, good luck to everyone participating! (And thank you for taking the time to read this bare bone currently looking thread.)

Edit 1: Things are slowly progressing. But the itchio finally has lovely artwork for you readers to oogle~ (It's too big to upload on here.)
Edit 2: Hehehe. I'm looking forward to coding certain parts soooo much. I plan to be more...playful this year with the nano.
Edit 3: Seems word count is gonna be over 18k. And finally kicked myself enough to quickly make a logo. (And possibly use it for buttons for the main menu hahahahahaha.)
Edit 4: On the last path. Once that's done, will be able to start on the bgs and gui.
Edit 5: Been a while since I last edited this. Anyway, Amiralo's done with her part! So it's all left to meh. *blargh* As mentioned in the progress, I've made headway on the bgs. However don't take the bg count literally. Some of them have variations. On another note, Amiralo made character cards for you all to enjoy!
Edit 6: We're just about done! Other than the gallery...I spent HOURS yesterday trying to get the code to work. Refused to. So we're going to do something else instead.
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: What's Your Name? [GxB, Romance, Horror, 2017]

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh, this sounds really good! Very interesting premise that has me really intrigued :D

If it's ok to ask- not spoilery or anything- what is it about the game that will be horror?

Good luck with the project, looking forward to future updates :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

I usually don't play horror (I scare pretty easily oops), but I've heard lots of good things about your VNs and I love Amiralo's art, plus your premise is just dang cool, so I may have to make an exception for this one. Good luck on NaNo, you guys! ^_^

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#4 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Harliqueen wrote:Oh, this sounds really good! Very interesting premise that has me really intrigued :D

If it's ok to ask- not spoilery or anything- what is it about the game that will be horror?

Good luck with the project, looking forward to future updates :)
Zelan wrote:I usually don't play horror (I scare pretty easily oops), but I've heard lots of good things about your VNs and I love Amiralo's art, plus your premise is just dang cool, so I may have to make an exception for this one. Good luck on NaNo, you guys! ^_^
So glad that the summary pulled the two of you in! Hope my writing can live up to your expectations!
As for why there's horror, there's a reason why you absolutely cannot give your name. There will be certain...consequences. :P
Don't worry though, it's not gonna be nonstop "Oh my god I can't look" kind of horror. Amiralo can assure you that. (And yes she has lovely art~)
Progress wise, Amiralo's started on the poses on one of the bachelors. (Loving him so far.)
Didn't get much writing or coding done. (*discreetly eyes my nephew*)
Have a Lint though.
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187 lint report, generated at: Wed Mar 01 22:41:06 2017

Statistics:

The game contains 126 dialogue blocks, containing 2,425 words and 13,185
characters, for an average of 19.2 words and 105 characters per block.

The game contains 7 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#5 Post by Amiralo »

Hi this is Amiralo! Sprite and CG artist of the project!
Have a sneak peak at one of the bachelors! He's a cutie
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#6 Post by Mama J »

Wait, does this mean I can ask to be paired up with a vampire to be my life partner?

I want an Edward Cullen 2.0

Haha, no, but the summary is great! I also am in love with everything and anything horror, so your project already has a special place in my heart ;) Good luck with NaNo!

P.S. The sneak peek of the first bachelor looks gorgeouzz

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.

#7 Post by Amiralo »

the second bachelor sketches
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Mama J wrote:Wait, does this mean I can ask to be paired up with a vampire to be my life partner?

I want an Edward Cullen 2.0

Haha, no, but the summary is great! I also am in love with everything and anything horror, so your project already has a special place in my heart ;) Good luck with NaNo!

P.S. The sneak peek of the first bachelor looks gorgeouzz
Pffffft. :lol:
Unfooortunately, we will only have 3 types of creatures available. (Mainly because I want to make things easy for zee awesome Amiralo.) I think you'll be pleased with one of them. :P

I'm still debating in my head whether to leave it as horror, or to change it to dark fantasy. All really depends on how I write everything. I'll probably leave that final decision to Amiralo.

Sadly I didn't get zilch done on the 2nd, so tried to write about 1k before I went off to dreamland. (You guys know how reality is.) Will probably make far more progress this upcoming Sunday and Monday. Until then enjoy admiring Amiralo's art.

Have another Lint too, to show I am writing. XD
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187 lint report, generated at: Fri Mar 03 03:50:28 2017

Statistics:

The game contains 187 dialogue blocks, containing 3,465 words and 19,029
characters, for an average of 18.5 words and 102 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Amiralo
Regular

#9 Post by Amiralo »

Final bachelors sketches

My current project

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Our four bachelors have now been revealed. Bachelor 1's path is coming along nicely, just got to write the last couple of endings then I can move onto the next bachelors!

The game's itchio has been updated with a temporary cover that'll be the vn's title screen. (Done by the lovely Amiralo, who might polish it at a later date. I suggest giving it a looksy. =3)

Lint is all I can give to you. D8
Statistics:

The game contains 319 dialogue blocks, containing 5,472 words and 29,813
characters, for an average of 17.2 words and 93 characters per block.

The game contains 10 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

buxton1990

#11 Post by buxton1990 »

This sounds really interesting. The guys look great.

Good Luck :)

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#12 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

buxton1990 wrote:This sounds really interesting. The guys look great.

Good Luck :)
Wait til you see their completed sprites~ That won't be for a while though since I'm waiting until all four of them are done. Once they are, I'll upload them on the main post.

Bachelor 1's path is 100% complete. (Finally, why do I keep getting distracted.)

I have started on the twins. So far...they don't want to obey my plans for them. Blargh.

Have another unpretty Lint. Tis my only way of showing proof to you all without spoilers.
Statistics:

The game contains 516 dialogue blocks, containing 7,986 words and 43,496
characters, for an average of 15.5 words and 84 characters per block.

The game contains 10 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

Re: What's Your Name? [GxB, Romance, Horror, Dark Fantasy, 2

#13 Post by Desichan »

Sounds like things are going well for your guys's project so far! I wish you the best of luck!

I love the concept, it really makes you wonder what exactly to expect out of the game, and I like the lack of much real info on the game. Going into a game blind, is always great! There's not much info about the bachelors right off the bat, but they all look lovely, and I'm most excited for the twins, personally. ^^

But yeah, anyway, good luck you guys, and I hope your game goes really well!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#14 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Desichan wrote:Sounds like things are going well for your guys's project so far! I wish you the best of luck!

I love the concept, it really makes you wonder what exactly to expect out of the game, and I like the lack of much real info on the game. Going into a game blind, is always great! There's not much info about the bachelors right off the bat, but they all look lovely, and I'm most excited for the twins, personally. ^^

But yeah, anyway, good luck you guys, and I hope your game goes really well!
They were in the beginning. (And still are on Amiralo's end.)

As for myself though, real life keeps barging into my writing schedule. (Was hoping to have everything written by now, but NOPE! Baby nephew eating up soooo much time. Still love him though.) And the writing I did get done...lots of cutting. Ended up writing one path far longer than another. And that just wouldn't be fair to the readers now would it? So had to go through the longer path to decide what to remove.

(Seriously need to start on those bgs, it's almost the 15th. Q_Q)

Concept's not that special, hahaha. (I have been looking around at the nanos even though haven't posted in all of them since I'm more of a lurker. A couple made me laugh a bit since they slightly reminded me of ours.)

Will be adding a teensy bit more info in main post eventually. (And yes, can be quite fun to read/play blindly at times~)

As for the twins...=3 May you get/enjoy their path first time around~

Progress wise...well, already ranted at my personal lack of writing progress. Two paths are complete and fully edited, finally started on the third path.*sobs* Made a logo a couple days ago though, so yay~

And I believe only Bachelor 4 needs sprites now.

*posts Lint to show my shame, why can't I type faster whyyyy*
Statistics:

The game contains 1,160 dialogue blocks, containing 15,591 words and 85,229
characters, for an average of 13.4 words and 73 characters per block.

The game contains 16 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#15 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I feel so ashamed of my slowness. But eh I've whined enough the last couple of posts. (And even mentioned in OP that might not finish this year so blah.)

Only double posting cuz wanted to celebrate.
I'm done writing. Everything's already edited, so huzzah~ Now I can finally start on those bgs and so on.
Have another Lint while I go sleep.
Statistics:

The game contains 1,601 dialogue blocks, containing 21,596 words and 118,698
characters, for an average of 13.5 words and 74 characters per block.

The game contains 20 menus, 0 images, and 23 screens.
ImageImageImageImage