The Crossroads [Romance GxB, Supernatural][NaNo17][COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

The Crossroads [Romance GxB, Supernatural][NaNo17][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by Harliqueen »

When Tiana finds herself house-sitting a mansion, she thinks her life is taking a turn for the better.
Little does she know the house is not what it seems… and neither are the two occupants who both wish to lay claim to her heart.

Contested ownership barely covers what’s happening at The Crossroads.

Download now at itch.io- https://seraphinite.itch.io/the-crossroads

--About--

The Crossroads is a light, romance-focused, supernatural visual novel. I’m hoping to make it a bit lighter and fluffier than I normally do :D

It will be quite a linear visual novel, with really only the romance scenes and endings differing throughout- hopefully it will mean I can actually finish the project in the month!

--Features--
[1280x720][Modern][Romance][Supernatural][GxB]
Warnings: Suggestive adult content (but it's hardly anything!)

> Two love interests
> Personality choices all the way through
> Three possible endings for each love interest
(Love Ending, True Love Ending, and Bad Ending- Bad ending will vary only slightly for each)
> Just general fun and romantic lightness
> Unique Sprites, BGs, CGs, GUI

--Characters--

Main Character

Tiana- Name Changeable
After losing her job, her apartment, and pretty much everything else, Tiana finds herself at a crossroads in life and has to decide where to go next.
Luckily, a job offer to house-sit a mansion in the middle of nowhere sounds like the perfect opportunity to take some time for herself.
(A very simple character customisation will be available- hair colour, skin colour, and eye colour)

Love Interests

Lucan
The steward of The Crossroads. The man seems to bypass flirting and go straight into… well, full on suggestions! Quite the man to figure out…

---

Tristan
Works as the handyman of the house. Sweet and caring, he suits the gentle gardens he spends most of his time in.

--Progress--

PlanCompleted!
Script- Chapter 10/11 Complete

Endings-
Tristan- 1/3
Lucan- 1/3

Music - Undecided

GUI- Completed!
Sprite- MC- Completed!
Sprite- TristanCompleted!
Sprite- Lucan- Completed!

BGs- 6/6

CGs- Lucan 3/3
Tristan 2/3

--Notes--

So, I really wanted to do NaNo again this year, though definitely wanted something I can actually finish within the month :) I will be soloing this as usual, so progress will be steady, if a bit slower.

I'll probably be starting on GUI and backgrounds as they are my least favourite things, but I might slip into the sprites sooner because, well, that's the fun stuff! :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and any questions you might have :)
--Sample Art--
Last edited by Harliqueen on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: The Crossroads [Modern, Romance GxB, Supernatural][NaNo1

#2 Post by Alcor »

This looks and sounds terrific! The Lady's Choice is one of my favorite romance visual novels, and I'm really looking forward to this project as well. It's awesome to hear that you're allowing personality choices again; I enjoyed those immensely :D

The concepts are looking terrific, and both love interests sound intriguing. I'm also really loving the logo design.

Good luck with this project, and I'll be following your progress this month~

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#3 Post by Harliqueen »

ALCOR_etc wrote:This looks and sounds terrific! The Lady's Choice is one of my favorite romance visual novels, and I'm really looking forward to this project as well. It's awesome to hear that you're allowing personality choices again; I enjoyed those immensely :D

The concepts are looking terrific, and both love interests sound intriguing. I'm also really loving the logo design.

Good luck with this project, and I'll be following your progress this month~
Ah, thank you so much! This certainly won't be as long or in depth as The Lady's Choice, but hopefully it will still be a fun, fluffy romance story.

Yeah, the personality choices are definitely staying- they are always fun to write... especially the snarky ones!
(Also, if I ever say I want to do an intricate logo again, I shall remind myself of this one and how long and painful it was to do :D I'm really glad it was worth the effort though and you like it!)

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#4 Post by ludeshka »

Your artwork is so delicious. I always find your characters really attractive. :D
I enjoyed Lady's Choice a whole lot and I'm always interested in supernatural romance, so I will totally be checking this out! :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Ha, the supernatural tag plus the MC's name being Tiana made me think of The Princess and the Frog. cx I loooove that movie.

That aside, I love your art and your writing, so this is definitely on my to-watch list.

yoshibb
Veteran

#6 Post by yoshibb »

I'm always excited to see what you come up with every year! Soloing is hard too. Both guys are attractive, I can't wait to find out more about them ;)

Harliqueen
Veteran

#7 Post by Harliqueen »

ludeshka wrote:Your artwork is so delicious. I always find your characters really attractive. :D
I enjoyed Lady's Choice a whole lot and I'm always interested in supernatural romance, so I will totally be checking this out! :D
Thank you so much! Being attractive is a good start for a love interest ;)

Good luck on your project!
Zelan wrote:Ha, the supernatural tag plus the MC's name being Tiana made me think of The Princess and the Frog. cx I loooove that movie.

That aside, I love your art and your writing, so this is definitely on my to-watch list.
I absolutely adore the name Tiana, and The Princess and the Frog was actually the first place I'd ever heard it :D I just had to use it at some point!

Thank you for the kind comment! I hope the project keeps you coming back for more :)
yoshibb wrote:I'm always excited to see what you come up with every year! Soloing is hard too. Both guys are attractive, I can't wait to find out more about them ;)
I hope this year's entry keeps you interested too! :)

Soloing is hard (as you are well aware with your own projects!), but hopefully it's worth it in the end.

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#8 Post by Mama J »

Oh oh oh oh oh, the MC is a blessed-looking character, isn't she? I can't get over her hair, specifically. Anywho, I'm physically attracted to Tristan's sprite, but if we're talking personality-wise, then I'd have to go with Lucan. I don't know why, but a character that's "sweet and caring" is usually the one I ignore, oops. But that's just me :D Good luck with your project! The story speaks volumes, and I love me a good mystery/supernatural.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

Mama J wrote:Oh oh oh oh oh, the MC is a blessed-looking character, isn't she? I can't get over her hair, specifically. Anywho, I'm physically attracted to Tristan's sprite, but if we're talking personality-wise, then I'd have to go with Lucan. I don't know why, but a character that's "sweet and caring" is usually the one I ignore, oops. But that's just me :D Good luck with your project! The story speaks volumes, and I love me a good mystery/supernatural.
Oh yeah! The MC got the good genes :D I knew from the start that's the hairstyle I wanted her to have, which is odd, usually it takes me forever to decide on the look for the MC.

Thanks for the encouraging comment! Hopefully the proper sprites will be up soon, and then maybe Lucan will take all of your fancy ;)

--
Update: Day 1-3

So, been working hard on backgrounds and the GUI. Nearly there with the GUI, not so much with the backgrounds- they take sooo long!

I did go through my plan though and managed to cut out one background, so that's at least a little less workload.

For the GUI, I just decided on something very simply and elegant, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Hope everyone is getting on well with their projects :)

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#10 Post by Agashi »

Eeeee! You posted it! I'm super excited about this, and even more so now that a few of the background are done! They look absolutely fabulous so far, and seeing that living room with the roaring fire just makes me want to curl up with a book and go to sleep. :mrgreen:

The GUI is also very sleek and elegant-looking. I think this is your strongest design yet, though I'm still fond of Diving In Deep's main menu/gallery look. I know you mentioned in your first post that you were hoping to maybe include some character customization, but I just wanted to ask if these decisions will also be reflected in the CGs if you DO decide to go that route?

Literally everything about this project looks lovely so far! I can't wait to see what you come up with. ♥
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

Harliqueen
Veteran

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

Agashi wrote:Eeeee! You posted it! I'm super excited about this, and even more so now that a few of the background are done! They look absolutely fabulous so far, and seeing that living room with the roaring fire just makes me want to curl up with a book and go to sleep. :mrgreen:

The GUI is also very sleek and elegant-looking. I think this is your strongest design yet, though I'm still fond of Diving In Deep's main menu/gallery look. I know you mentioned in your first post that you were hoping to maybe include some character customization, but I just wanted to ask if these decisions will also be reflected in the CGs if you DO decide to go that route?

Literally everything about this project looks lovely so far! I can't wait to see what you come up with. ♥
Ah, thank you! You probably know much more about it than most, seeing as you were a major sounding-board for me whilst coming up with it! Thank you for that again :D

I'm really glad to hear you like the backgrounds so far (they aren't my strong point!). I really like cozy living room feel for the night, so it's great it gave you that exact feeling :)

The CGs will reflect the character customisation, it's just the simple stuff that will be able to be customised though- so skin colour, hair colour, eye colour will show for the MC in the CGs (the CG gallery will feature the default MC). It's quite a bit of work, but I'm really having fun with the character customisation now I've kinda worked out how to do it!

Thank you so much for your kind comment (and for your support whilst I worked all of this out :) ). I'm really excited for your project, can't wait to see how it's going!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#12 Post by Alcor »

Oooh, the GUI looks great (and it works really well with the logo)! It's very clean and looks quite user-friendly. Also I'm amazed by the speed at which you can make fantastic-looking backgrounds; I always dread making backgrounds.

Keep up the good work :D

nickynoton
Regular
Completed: Equilibrium
Projects: Equilibrium [nano16], Phantasm [nano17]
Tumblr: nickynoton
itch: nickynoton

#13 Post by nickynoton »

This sounds interesting! Your characters are lovely as always and the backgrounds are looking good too!
Good Luck! I look forward to see how it turns out. :D

Harliqueen
Veteran

#14 Post by Harliqueen »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Oooh, the GUI looks great (and it works really well with the logo)! It's very clean and looks quite user-friendly. Also I'm amazed by the speed at which you can make fantastic-looking backgrounds; I always dread making backgrounds.

Keep up the good work :D
I'm kinda relieved to hear you think they look good :D (I dread backgrounds as well, so I'm trying to push through them to get them out of the way!).

nickynoton wrote:This sounds interesting! Your characters are lovely as always and the backgrounds are looking good too!
Good Luck! I look forward to see how it turns out. :D
Thank you so much! I'm glad you're liking the art :) Trying to get as many of the art assets done so as I can get to writing.

Good luck with your own project, I'm really excited to see how it turns out!

---

Quick Update: Managed to get another background done. Still putting off some off some of the GUI- seem to have got a mental block on that :D Hopefully will get the backgronds pushed out soon enough though.

buxton1990

#15 Post by buxton1990 »

This looks really cool. The sprites look really attractive, I love games with supernatural ideas in.

Good Luck!!