a(t)rium [NaNo'17] - DEMO RELEASED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: a(t)rium [GxB] [NaNo'17]

#46 Post by Alcor »

wingcinna wrote:Eeee! Let me just say this game is v cute looking *squeals*!! okay, now that that's out of my system..

Does the synopsis sound promising to you? (I can't reveal what the secret is, sorry! please feel free to tell me your guesses, though!)
Yes! I love a little mystery and the fact that there's friendship or relationship possibilities is even more intriguing.

Given the minimal information provided, which character sounds the most interesting to you? Who would you befriend/date first?
Kennith is my type of guy, looks and personality wise so... hehe!

How do you feel about the plant theme? Do you like plants? (or do you believe that 'plants are food, not friends!'?)
Dude..I LOVE PLANTS (all my plants have names and personalities, which is how they get their names). The GUI and the logo are so freakin' cute, I can't even describe my love for them!
Aaaaah, thank you so much! <3

One more vote for Kennith! It's great to see that all three guys are getting some love. (Grumps/tsunderes are my type too <3)

I'm really glad you're enjoying the GUI and logo! And naming plants... that sounds awesome! I used to name mine, but apparently anything I name "Steve" dies (actually, most of my plants just die anyway... OTL) so now I just ask my housemate to take care of my air plants.

wingcinna
Tumblr: wingcinna

#47 Post by wingcinna »

ALCOR_etc wrote:
wingcinna wrote:Eeee! Let me just say this game is v cute looking *squeals*!! okay, now that that's out of my system..

Does the synopsis sound promising to you? (I can't reveal what the secret is, sorry! please feel free to tell me your guesses, though!)
Yes! I love a little mystery and the fact that there's friendship or relationship possibilities is even more intriguing.

Given the minimal information provided, which character sounds the most interesting to you? Who would you befriend/date first?
Kennith is my type of guy, looks and personality wise so... hehe!

How do you feel about the plant theme? Do you like plants? (or do you believe that 'plants are food, not friends!'?)
Dude..I LOVE PLANTS (all my plants have names and personalities, which is how they get their names). The GUI and the logo are so freakin' cute, I can't even describe my love for them!
Aaaaah, thank you so much! <3

One more vote for Kennith! It's great to see that all three guys are getting some love. (Grumps/tsunderes are my type too <3)

I'm really glad you're enjoying the GUI and logo! And naming plants... that sounds awesome! I used to name mine, but apparently anything I name "Steve" dies (actually, most of my plants just die anyway... OTL) so now I just ask my housemate to take care of my air plants.
The grumpy guys need love too! lol
I was a serial plant killer R.I.P. JJ, Lucky, and Ricky until I bought one of those moisture level readers. Now my plants are okay, expect Drew. Drew is extra dramatic and likes to play dead often. I can't wait for the game to be out, good luck!
Working on: sci-fi sprites and another project with Owl

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#48 Post by Katy133 »

The premise for this sounds intriguing! I'll keep an eye on this VN. :D

I love the masking used in the art style (the white lines between the colours and the black outlines). I also have a strong interest in horticulture, so the plants theme is something I really, really like.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Alcor
Veteran

#49 Post by Alcor »

wingcinna wrote: The grumpy guys need love too! lol
I was a serial plant killer R.I.P. JJ, Lucky, and Ricky until I bought one of those moisture level readers. Now my plants are okay, expect Drew. Drew is extra dramatic and likes to play dead often. I can't wait for the game to be out, good luck!
Oh man, good luck with Drew! (Sounds like he has quite the personality, haha.) I find it a bit difficult to tell if my air plants are doing well, so my plants are just... hanging on, I guess. Not sure if moisture level readers would help with that, but sounds like a good thing to have the next time I try to take care of orchids... OTL

Thank you so much!
Katy133 wrote:The premise for this sounds intriguing! I'll keep an eye on this VN. :D

I love the masking used in the art style (the white lines between the colours and the black outlines). I also have a strong interest in horticulture, so the plants theme is something I really, really like.
Hey Katy! Thank you so much. And I'm glad you're enjoying the masking; I put it on a lot of my sprites, and sometimes I'm not sure if they actually look nice or if it's just habit for me at this point ^_^;

I hope I do justice to the theme! :D

Alcor
Veteran

#50 Post by Alcor »

Finally finished most of a background! Today I learned that I probably shouldn't manually draw bricks, but now I feel like I've committed. Maybe I'll find some easier way next project...

I've been (kind of) keeping a more detailed development blog at the Studio Dipper tumblr, and the latest post can be found at http://studio-dipper.tumblr.com/post/15 ... -are-a-lot. Just leaving this in case anyone's curious :D

Thanks for your support! I'm really tired and need to catch up on homework tomorrow... I better go sleep. OTL

EDIT: instead of sleeping, I added a bit more to the synopsis and two new questions. I'm going to actually sleep now

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: a(t)rium [GxB] [genre undisclosed] [NaNo'17]

#51 Post by Windchimes »

I keep forgetting to comment on this I'm sorry fish

Yes it does! Though I think you already revealed the secret to me??? If it's what I think it is, then YES I'M VERY EXCITED FOR IT.

I like Ross most I think because I like the intellectual types :D

Plants are food. I mean, I don't personally really have any plants because I'd never remember to water them and they'd all die, but I think a plant theme is pretty unique and cool! :D

Do you think 1920x1080px resolution is too ridiculous for a non-commercial VN? (It'll take a while to download...)
Nah, I love bigger resolutions. I just never use them because CC BGs are woefully small. I think having a bigger resolution would be awesome because I get to see your awesome art in bigger size!

Would you be really disappointed if this ended up being a short (maybe 5-10 minutes) demo or something? ;_;
Pls, you're an amazing madwoman for doing two NaNoRenO projects at the same time. I definitely wouldn't mind if it's just a short demo.

Additional comment: WHOA THAT LATEST UPDATE FISH WHEN DID YOU GET SO GOOD AT BACKGROUNDS That seriously looks amazing o:

Good luck!! I'll be cheering you on <3

Alcor
Veteran

#52 Post by Alcor »

Windchimes wrote:I keep forgetting to comment on this I'm sorry fish
MOMMMMM *glomps* Super honored that you took out of your crazy schedule to comment ;o; what is this strange mom-fish relationship tbh
Windchimes wrote:Does the synopsis sound promising to you? (I can't reveal what the secret is, sorry! please feel free to tell me your guesses, though!)
Yes it does! Though I think you already revealed the secret to me??? If it's what I think it is, then YES I'M VERY EXCITED FOR IT.
yeahhhh you already know the secret, THANKS FOR STILL BEING EXCITED<3
Windchimes wrote:Given the minimal information provided, which character sounds the most interesting to you? Who would you befriend/date first?
I like Ross most I think because I like the intellectual types :D
Haha, I expected you'd like Ross the most! He's also the sweetest, so another plus!
Windchimes wrote:How do you feel about the plant theme? Do you like plants? (or do you believe that 'plants are food, not friends!'?)
Plants are food. I mean, I don't personally really have any plants because I'd never remember to water them and they'd all die, but I think a plant theme is pretty unique and cool! :D
SAME. I mean, I like how plants taste look, but I really don't know a whole lot about them. I'm probably not qualified to write this VN.
I hope you at least take care of your fish... *gets thrown out window*
Windchimes wrote:Do you think 1920x1080px resolution is too ridiculous for a non-commercial VN? (It'll take a while to download...)
Nah, I love bigger resolutions. I just never use them because CC BGs are woefully small. I think having a bigger resolution would be awesome because I get to see your awesome art in bigger size!
Awww, thanks! Though, the file size is probably going to be crazy even for a tiny demo (definitely not as crazy as LiD though... still not sure how THAT happened). I might also make a smaller resolution version if I have the time to (unless it involves manually resizing every single image... nope.jpg)
Windchimes wrote:Would you be really disappointed if this ended up being a short (maybe 5-10 minutes) demo or something? ;_;
Pls, you're an amazing madwoman for doing two NaNoRenO projects at the same time. I definitely wouldn't mind if it's just a short demo.
still not as crazy as the entire novels you and Lily are writing in a month
pls don't die
I'll try to make something playable :'D
Windchimes wrote:Additional comment: WHOA THAT LATEST UPDATE FISH WHEN DID YOU GET SO GOOD AT BACKGROUNDS That seriously looks amazing o:

Good luck!! I'll be cheering you on <3
Thanks, glad you like the background! Drawing backgrounds take me forever, and in the future (after this project and BL4NK) I'll probably bribe/hire someone to help with that. OTL

pinqo
Regular
Projects: secret Σ(ノ°▽°)ノ
Tumblr: pinqo
Deviantart: pinqo

#53 Post by pinqo »

Ahhhh! The art is just absolutely adorable,, and the GUI is so cuuute! I love the overall feel you have going for this > w <

AND THE BACKGROUNDS--GUHH YOUR SKILLS are so amazing > ~ <;; wish i could draw backgrounds! so much talent.

not to mention slice of life type games are so pleasant to play~~ can't wait for the finish!

[Edit]
Just realized you're doing this solo! OMG SO IMPRESSIVE// THAT IS JUST.. WOW!! please teach me how to be so multi-talented like you. T u T ehehe

Alcor
Veteran

#54 Post by Alcor »

pinqo wrote:Ahhhh! The art is just absolutely adorable,, and the GUI is so cuuute! I love the overall feel you have going for this > w <

AND THE BACKGROUNDS--GUHH YOUR SKILLS are so amazing > ~ <;; wish i could draw backgrounds! so much talent.

not to mention slice of life type games are so pleasant to play~~ can't wait for the finish!

[Edit]
Just realized you're doing this solo! OMG SO IMPRESSIVE// THAT IS JUST.. WOW!! please teach me how to be so multi-talented like you. T u T ehehe
Aaaah, thank you so much pinqo! I try, haha, but I really just dabble bit in each aspect of VN-making... I'm a pretty terrible programmer, and writing and backgrounds are hard (and just realllllly tedious) for me. ;w;

And I'm looking forward to Summer Paradise Redux! Your character art for the game is just gorgeous. <3

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#55 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh my word! This just jumps in quality every time I check back on progress (and it already started at near off the charts!).

Those backgrounds... it may have been a pain to draw the bricks manually, but wow, they look incredible!

Even a short demo is something I am so excited about :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Alcor
Veteran

#56 Post by Alcor »

Harliqueen wrote:Oh my word! This just jumps in quality every time I check back on progress (and it already started at near off the charts!).

Those backgrounds... it may have been a pain to draw the bricks manually, but wow, they look incredible!

Even a short demo is something I am so excited about :)
Thank you so much! I'm really glad that people (who have commented, anyway) aren't as disappointed by the (lack of) length as I was afraid of, ahaha. The support means a lot to me.

We're (almost) in the final week, so we're in the final stretch! We can do it :D

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#57 Post by Glitterbark »

(have i posted on this yet or have i just stalked it)

I LOVE the screenshots you've been showing!! I'm super pumped to play even a demo - and I doubt anyone minds that it will be a short demo, because jeez, look at what you've got on your plate. Really, though, all the assets look really polished, stylistically consistent, and, most of all, compliment each other really well... and the premise is so cute! I definitely have had/will continue to have my eye on this one.

(From peeping your BL4NK X RE4DER project, i'm kinda hoping the secret is some kind of meta twist. that is so my jam it's unreal. [though I won't be disappointed if it's not! i like twists in general.)
WIP: Image

Alcor
Veteran

#58 Post by Alcor »

FoxTrotMuffin wrote:(have i posted on this yet or have i just stalked it)

I LOVE the screenshots you've been showing!! I'm super pumped to play even a demo - and I doubt anyone minds that it will be a short demo, because jeez, look at what you've got on your plate. Really, though, all the assets look really polished, stylistically consistent, and, most of all, compliment each other really well... and the premise is so cute! I definitely have had/will continue to have my eye on this one.
Aaaaaah thank you!

I'm... re-outlining the demo, and if I manage to get as far on the writing as I'd like to, it might (optimistically) be a 15-20 minute demo. I think it'd take at least that much to introduce all the characters (if Ross is going to show up in the demo at all). Though, I seem to have writer's block 80% of the time, and the remaining 20% I'm just really self-conscious with writing, so not sure how that's going to work out... Really hoping I deliver *something*, in any case!
FoxTrotMuffin wrote:(From peeping your BL4NK X RE4DER project, i'm kinda hoping the secret is some kind of meta twist. that is so my jam it's unreal. [though I won't be disappointed if it's not! i like twists in general.)
ohhhhhh boy :'D

I think BL4NK has gotten a biiiit out of hand with the meta twists. As much fun as I have with making strange, meta experiences, I'm currently making a conscious effort to keep a(t)rium more... contained? (not sure what the antonym to "meta" is, whoops...) So ahaha, sorry, this one is not meta! It's more of a genre-defining thing :'D

Alcor
Veteran

#59 Post by Alcor »

I finally finished the main menu CG. With that, the GUI for the demo should be done (except for a potential credits page, maybe)!

Expression previews for all the characters are on tumblr, and after a ton of procrastination, I'm finally starting to write.

Here’s a summary of the demo:

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#60 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Congratulations on finishing the main menu CG! *throwsconfetti*
I'm really looking forward for the demo and the finished version as well ;;

Also here's a little fanart of Hisashi since he's so cutee! <3