B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017] [COMPLETE!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017]

#16 Post by Sonomi »

Bats scare me, but I swear Jesse is so precious! I really want to play with him. On that note, I'm curious if this will have pet sim elements, based on your description. Like Tamagotchi?

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#17 Post by Avior »

ALCOR_etc wrote:oh my gosh those sprites
they're so
so
CUUUUUTE

JEAN'S HAPPY FACE THOUGH. SO HAPPY.

I'd totally go for Dinky first, though because more rage + smaller body = more concentrated rage and that is always fun
BáiYù wrote:I hope half of Dinky's dialogue is him shrieking at you
Let's be real here what's more fun than tiny concentrated rage? :wink:
Hazel wrote:I am so here for a game about cute bats.
Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy the final product!
Sonomi wrote:Bats scare me, but I swear Jesse is so precious! I really want to play with him. On that note, I'm curious if this will have pet sim elements, based on your description. Like Tamagotchi?
Ah, I hope it won't prevent you from playing the game! (If you do want to play, that is!) To answer your question--yes, the game will have some stat management/pet sim features. You'll have to keep an eye on the bats' hunger, thirst, etc.! This is key to making sure the bats are happy with you and that you don't get a bad end!
Image Image

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#18 Post by Glitterbark »

I'm so happy that the idea of this game exists, and I am (not so) patiently awaiting for it to actually exist. Seriously, good luck, this sounds like a real treat. I love how unique it is! (And it's the kind of thing where, if you're interested, you could incorporate the same elements into a wide host of different animal-themed games.)

(which i'd play.)

(literally all of them.)
WIP: Image

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#19 Post by Arowana »

Ahh, this is too cute! I love bats and those designs are absolutely adorable. Best of luck with NaNo! :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#20 Post by Amy_oai »

This is way too adorable and I'm really interested in seeing how you'll handle the story ^^
Your art is cute and the story premise is great! Can't wait to see more of this and play it :D
Image Image Image Image

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe

#21 Post by Avior »

FoxTrotMuffin wrote:I'm so happy that the idea of this game exists, and I am (not so) patiently awaiting for it to actually exist. Seriously, good luck, this sounds like a real treat. I love how unique it is! (And it's the kind of thing where, if you're interested, you could incorporate the same elements into a wide host of different animal-themed games.)

(which i'd play.)

(literally all of them.)
Thank you, I'm glad you're looking forward to it! Not sure if I'll ever do any more animal sims (though other care-type sims would definitely be fun!), but I'm leaving copious notes in my code so maybe people will be able to repurpose it? Or at least use it as a starting point, since I'm sure others could come up with a more efficient method as well, haha.
Arowana wrote:Ahh, this is too cute! I love bats and those designs are absolutely adorable. Best of luck with NaNo! :D
Thanks! :D
Amy_oai wrote:This is way too adorable and I'm really interested in seeing how you'll handle the story ^^
Your art is cute and the story premise is great! Can't wait to see more of this and play it :D
Thank you so much! The general plot is down, but I'm kind of adding and editing the details as I write, so I'm interested in how it'll end up too, lol. But I hope the story will surprise you!

Weekly Update!
Overview:
GUI - 85%
BGs - 75%
Bat Sprites - 100%
Human Sprites - 75%
Script - 25%

I spent the week primarily adding in some of the more customized menus for the care system, but I also made most of the BGs and worked on the script a bit. There's one or two more menus that need to be made and programmed before the base system will be complete, and about two more BGs to complete the set. Degu's been hard at work on the human sprites too, and she says they should be finished soon!

Degu: "We're working hard on the game, please look forward to it. ❤ You certainly won't be disappointed~"

This coming week is my last week of school before spring break, so unfortunately that means midterms (/dies), but it also means that I'll have the week after that to focus on the script, so hopefully I'll get a lot done then! After that, it's back to school and into the final stretch!
Image Image

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular
Projects: mirroreD≒dREAMS ~Alternate~, NOTES
Tumblr: magicalstarrycarnival
Deviantart: silky-starry-heart
itch: MonochromeCherry

#22 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

This looks BEYOND adorable and looking at all the cute bats makes me want to hug all of them! I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens in the game~!
Image Image

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#23 Post by Katy133 »

I like bats. I think the character sprite art style is great (Jean looks adorable!), and I can't wait to see the finished VN. :D
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Avior
Regular

#24 Post by Avior »

Monochrome.Cherry wrote:This looks BEYOND adorable and looking at all the cute bats makes me want to hug all of them! I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens in the game~!
Katy133 wrote:I like bats. I think the character sprite art style is great (Jean looks adorable!), and I can't wait to see the finished VN. :D
Thank you both! I hope you'll enjoy the game once it's finished!

Weekly Update:
Frankly, I haven't worked on the game at all this week, so I don't really have anything to report this time. But I did submit my last midterm yesterday, so I'm clear to get to work this coming week during my break! I'll be focusing on the script mostly, since that's the largest remaining hurdle.

Hopefully we'll have more interesting news for you next update!
Image Image

emihaumut
Regular
Projects: Rynspyr.
Tumblr: emihaumut
Github: yeewai

#25 Post by emihaumut »

The bats are so cute! Inspired by Hatoful Boyfriend, should I prepare myself for some psychological horror? Haha. I can't wait to play this game. :)

Avior
Regular

#26 Post by Avior »

emihaumut wrote:The bats are so cute! Inspired by Hatoful Boyfriend, should I prepare myself for some psychological horror? Haha. I can't wait to play this game. :)
I can't give away our secrets just like that! You'll just have to wait and find out. ;3< But thank you, I hope you'll enjoy the game!

Weekly Update!
Overview:
GUI - 100%
BGs - 75%
Bat Sprites - 100%
Human Sprites - 100%
Music - 0%
SFX - 10%
Script - 50%

We're at less than a week left! Who else is panicking!? Haha.

Anyway, this week I finished the last couple of menus and worked on the script a ton. Degu finished the human sprites, (I won't be adding them to the main post to keep up the suspense, but if you're dying to see them, take a look at Degu's twitter!) and she's working on an illustration for the main menu!

But as you can probably tell from the overview, there's still a lot of work I've got to do before the end of the week. I'm not giving up though! I'm back in school starting tomorrow but I will be spending all my free time to (hopefully) get this game done by Friday night. At worst, we'll probably release a "demo" then and patch in the rest of the script in a week or two. The point is, the game will be finished soon regardless of the outcome of this week, so please don't worry about the project getting dropped or anything!

Here's a special sketch of (human) Jean from Degu to tide you over! I'll probably do a midweek update post in a few days to let you know where we're at with the deadline. We hope everyone who's participating is doing well as we enter the final crunch stretch, and we look forward to playing everyone's games!
Last edited by Avior on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Avior
Regular

Re: B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017] [COMPLETE

#27 Post by Avior »

Hey everyone! I'm happy to announce that the game is released as of yesterday! You can download it on itch.io!

This game was a really big challenge right till the very end (so many playtesting errors @_@), and we ended up going over the deadline by a day, but we pulled through! We really hope that you guys enjoy the final product and have fun playing the game! :D
Image Image