BookSLEEPer [Otome] [Stat-Raiser] [GxB,GxG] ~DEMO RELEASED~

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

BookSLEEPer [Otome] [Stat-Raiser] [GxB,GxG] ~DEMO RELEASED~

#1 Post by Allegra Hughes »

DOWNLOAD HERE

[[ SYNOPSIS ]]

bookSLEEPer is the story of an undeclared college student who isn’t doing so well in school. With finals coming up, she decides to spend her reading week studying. When she accidentally falls asleep on a textbook, she discovers that she can enter the world of a book when she sleeps on it.

Will our protagonist forge friendships, or even romances, as she explores these books? Will she pass her exams, or will she drop out of college and become a cat lady? The choice is yours!

[[ GAMEPLAY ]]

bookSLEEPer is a partially stat-raising otome game. The game takes place over the course of nine days (reading week), and during this time, the player can make various decisions for the Protagonist (3 daytime decisions and 1 nighttime decision per day).

The daytime decisions may include: studying a subject, reading a novel, surfing the internet, researching on the internet, writing an essay, etc.

The nighttime decision determines which book the Protagonist falls asleep on (and thus which love interest she spends time with).

The player’s goal is (hopefully) to succeed in all her subjects (by studying those subjects or spending time inside the textbook for that subject), and possibly to successfully romance one of her love interests as well!

[[ CHARACTERS ]]
MC (Namable)
A college student with a wide variety of interests. She’s intelligent and curious, but isn’t doing as well in school as she can be. Though she’s introverted and sometimes wary of people, she is a kind-hearted girl who is dedicated when she needs to be.

Vibrissa
MC’s roommate. She loves both her cat and her boyfriend, but unfortunately, the boyfriend is allergic to cats…

Cat -This kitty loves meow wix. Appears to be a lucky cat.

English ( GxG )
Bianca Minola
The younger daughter of Baptista Minola, and a very eligible bachelorette. Getting married in a few days. Doesn’t get along with her sister.

Katherine Minola
The older daughter of Baptista Minola, and not a very sought-after bachelorette. Getting married in a few days. Doesn’t get along with her sister.

Lucentio - Loverboy. Falls in love with Bianca at first sight.

Baptista Minola - Single father of Kate and Bianca. Tries his hardest but is tired of their catfights.

Microbiology ( G/G/B )

Louis Pasteur
A chemist and microbiologist who pioneered the germ theory of disease and developed several early vaccines.

Marie Pasteur
Louis’s wife, as well as an assistant to his experiments.

Teresa - Teresa is a 23-year-old graduate student who works at a bacteriology lab on-campus. She’s the elder sister of the MC’s roommate.

Oliver - Oliver is Teresa’s fellow student and boyfriend of two years. They live and study together, but fortunately work at separate labs. His area of interest is immunology. Oliver is Teresa’s fellow student and boyfriend of two years. They live and study together, but fortunately work at separate labs. His area of interest is immunology.

Photography ( GxB )

Luca
Luca is a 24 year old hardworking man who recently graduated college and is pursuing photography. He’s skills are phenomenal, and he’s won many competitions since he was a teenager.

Liam - Liam is a kind, sweet and charming senior in MC’s college and a photography major.

Philosophy ( GxB )
Emil Sinclair
Sinclair is a 22 year old university student from a well-off family. He fought during the first World War. If there was one talent that he’s proud of, it would be his storytelling skills.

Max Demian
Demian is a 24 year old boy who carries an air of mystery around him at all times. He lives alone with his mother and Sinclair seems to be his only friend.

Miles - Miles is a 23 year old Philosophy student and painter. Rumor has it that he’s a difficult person to be with because of his moodiness. He is normally found at the school’s rooftop sketching.

[[ PROGRESS ]]
Story: 100%
Writing: 80%
Sprites: 90%
CGs: 0%
BGs: 100%
GUI: 100%
Music: 100%
Programming:100%

[[ QUESTIONS ]]
1. What do you think of the concept?
2. Which of the four books would you read first?
3. Which character sounds the most interesting to you?

[[ TEAM ]]
Alcor
Producer, Writer for Common Route, Programmer, Artist, GUI

Zelan
Writer for English Route, Assistant Producer

Allegra C. Hughes
Writer for Photography Route, Assistant Producer

Hazel
Writer for Microbiology

Miya
Writer for Philosophy Route

yoshibb
Art for English and Microbiology Route

Choi
Artist for Photography Route

Kaoru
Artist for Philosophy Route

Laurence Long
Composer for Common Route
Last edited by Allegra Hughes on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Re: BookSLEEPer [Otome] [Stat-Raiser] [GxB,GxG]

#2 Post by Mama J »

The premise of the game is really different that anything I've ever played before. I mean, I know I've always wanted to dive into a book and live like I was a part of the adventure :D I also really like the word play on the title, good one ((;

All of the characters are so unique in their own way! However, Emil (or is it Sinclair? Idk haha) caught my interest the most. Something about his "ability to create stories." Good luck on your game, I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Thanks for the well-wishes, Mama J! ^_^ I can't answer anything about Miya's route, so she'll need to answer the question about his name.

armea948
Tumblr: kyaaaaa-desu
Deviantart: armea948

#4 Post by armea948 »

Mama J wrote: However, Emil (or is it Sinclair? Idk haha) caught my interest the most.

His full name is Emil Sinclair. He's mostly referred as Sinclair in the book. :D

Sorry if it's a bit confusing. OwO''

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#5 Post by Alcor »

Mama J wrote:The premise of the game is really different that anything I've ever played before. I mean, I know I've always wanted to dive into a book and live like I was a part of the adventure :D I also really like the word play on the title, good one ((;

All of the characters are so unique in their own way! However, Emil (or is it Sinclair? Idk haha) caught my interest the most. Something about his "ability to create stories." Good luck on your game, I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Thank you so much! I'm glad you're liking my terrible pun haha

I'm really excited to be working on this, and I look forward to seeing what the different routes look like. I'm working on the main/common route, so here's a sketch of the MC. The MC will have a different sprite (drawn in the route artist's style) for each route!

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#6 Post by parttimestorier »

This sounds like a really cool and unique idea! I'm especially curious about the characters from the English book. It says "Getting married in a few days. Doesn’t get along with her sister." for both Bianca and Katherine, so are they both planning upcoming weddings simultaneously? Is Lucentio a third guy other than their fiancés? I also like the sound of their father - his description reminds me a bit of the father in Pride and Prejudice, who's a great character.

Also, do you plan for there to be any benefits of sleeping on different books on different nights? I find it to be a bit of problem with some stat-raising-type-VNs that while you're given the "choice" of hanging out with different characters every day, you really just need to pick the same one every time if you want to get a good ending. Although I also understand that you're really limited for time (and taking on what sounds like a pretty ambitious project in that time!), and I'm sure it will still be cool either way.
ImageImageImage

Alcor
Veteran

#7 Post by Alcor »

parttimestorier wrote:This sounds like a really cool and unique idea! I'm especially curious about the characters from the English book. It says "Getting married in a few days. Doesn’t get along with her sister." for both Bianca and Katherine, so are they both planning upcoming weddings simultaneously? Is Lucentio a third guy other than their fiancés? I also like the sound of their father - his description reminds me a bit of the father in Pride and Prejudice, who's a great character.

Also, do you plan for there to be any benefits of sleeping on different books on different nights? I find it to be a bit of problem with some stat-raising-type-VNs that while you're given the "choice" of hanging out with different characters every day, you really just need to pick the same one every time if you want to get a good ending. Although I also understand that you're really limited for time (and taking on what sounds like a pretty ambitious project in that time!), and I'm sure it will still be cool either way.
Thank you for your kind comment! Zelan will have to answer the questions about the English book, but as for your other questions:

Sleeping on a textbook gives you a stat boost in the corresponding subject (as far as studying is concerned). Also, we're including a limit of 5 nights (4 nights of getting to know the characters + 1 night for the ending) per book, so given the total of 9 nights, it's possible to finish 4 nights each for two different subjects (and choose which book to see the ending for on the last night). What type of ending (friendship, romance, or otherwise) you unlock for the book depends on choices you make while within the book. And while the MC is trying to succeed in all her classes, passing everything is not essential for getting a "good" ending; it just leads to slightly different endings outside of the book worlds. I hope that makes sense!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

parttimestorier wrote:This sounds like a really cool and unique idea! I'm especially curious about the characters from the English book. It says "Getting married in a few days. Doesn’t get along with her sister." for both Bianca and Katherine, so are they both planning upcoming weddings simultaneously? Is Lucentio a third guy other than their fiancés? I also like the sound of their father - his description reminds me a bit of the father in Pride and Prejudice, who's a great character.
Hello, parttimestorier! Thank you for the comment! ^_^ I don't want to give too much away, but it's all based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. So it's less that they've planned weddings and more that they're having weddings, if that makes sense. And Lucentio is a suitor to Bianca, who eventually married her in the play. I'm actually still on the fence over whether he'll have any dialogue, though.

I'm afraid I've never actually read Pride and Prejudice ! I can't say for sure how similar Baptista will be to the father you're thinking of.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: BookSLEEPer [Otome] [Stat-Raiser] [GxB,GxG] ~NaNoRenO'17

#9 Post by Zelan »

First update! Here is MC's sprite. c:

(I can't stop freaking out about Alcor's style, it's so cute.)

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#10 Post by Mama J »

Zelan wrote:First update! Here is MC's sprite. c:

(I can't stop freaking out about Alcor's style, it's so cute.)
OHMY, SHE'S 50 SHADES OF CUTENESS, I COULD JUST EAT HER UP <3333 I'm obsessed with Alcor's art, hot diggity dog!!

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#11 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Our logo, made by Alcor :D

spiral
Regular

#12 Post by spiral »

This looks super cute and endearingly nerdy.

Can you say which characters are romance options? It looks like a lot of them have canon partners (thanks to their original books), are you going to have to break up the existing relationship to date them or is there ever a poly option? And can you "succeed" at a path by just being friends, or is romance the only success option?

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#13 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh my word! This sounds so cool :D I don't usually play stat-raisers (I don't ever seem to get the hang of them!), but this sounds like it's all going to blend into the game really well.

The MC sprite is stunning- I adore her hair. So excited for this :) Can't wait to see more.

Good luck with it guys!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Alcor
Veteran

#14 Post by Alcor »

Mama J wrote:OHMY, SHE'S 50 SHADES OF CUTENESS, I COULD JUST EAT HER UP <3333 I'm obsessed with Alcor's art, hot diggity dog!!
AAHHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH ;w;

sqbr wrote:This looks super cute and endearingly nerdy.

Can you say which characters are romance options? It looks like a lot of them have canon partners (thanks to their original books), are you going to have to break up the existing relationship to date them or is there ever a poly option? And can you "succeed" at a path by just being friends, or is romance the only success option?
Ah, whoops! Sorry that was unclear. We'll fix that up (whenever Allegra has time to).

Though, yes, there is a poly option! though I'm not the writer for the route, so I can't really say much further than that right now

Each path has at least one friendship and one romantic ending, and I think both are successes! We *might* have bad ends for one (or more?) of the routes, but that really depends on whether the writers have time for them. For the most part, if you spend enough time with the love interests, you'll get their ending!
Harliqueen wrote:Oh my word! This sounds so cool :D I don't usually play stat-raisers (I don't ever seem to get the hang of them!), but this sounds like it's all going to blend into the game really well.

The MC sprite is stunning- I adore her hair. So excited for this :) Can't wait to see more.

Good luck with it guys!
Thank you so much :'D

I'm personally pretty terrible at stat-raising games, so I hope this ends up okay! The variables and numbers will probably take a bit of work, but I hope it doesn't detract from the experience! (Technically, the stat-raising "studying" part doesn't actually affect the main ending (much), so I hope the set-up works well for players who aren't particularly fond of stat-raising!)

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#15 Post by Hazel »

sqbr wrote:This looks super cute and endearingly nerdy.

The other writers can speak better to their own routes, I think the English route has a female romance and the photography route has a male romance. As for my route, yes, Teresa and Oliver are meant to be a poly romance option. It will come up in the game. I don't know exactly how, ye, but it will definitely be addressed.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)