SPRING-HEELED JACK [NaNo17] [Mystery/Horror/Supernatural]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
smilehirasaka
Projects: NaNoReNo 2017: SPRING-HEELED JACK
Tumblr: sugarwafer

SPRING-HEELED JACK [NaNo17] [Mystery/Horror/Supernatural]

#1 Post by smilehirasaka »

STORY

Noose, Knife, Spats, and Spades,
With a city clamoring unknowingly just outside the gates,
A heartwrenching tragedy befalls the manor of the Weiss family.
The bygone Mother and father, deemed merely suicidal.
And at the age of only 11, their dearest Edelmira is left with a heavy new world on her shoulders.

-----

Only three years since the day, in a world that hasnt felt quite right to me since, worrisome events are stirring our bleak days.

The local rumor is werewolves did it.
And that creatures of the night are finally here to take humanity.
My servants say otherwise, but, the papers are filled with reports of murders and kidnappings. so visceral- my mind can't help but raise questions.

The town is in great unrest, and for no merciful god would allow this to happen to us-
A peculiar idea starts stewing among the populace.
"For our god is found unfit, we can succeed him and take destiny into our own hands."
A curious line of torches reflected in a blazing river, a mob marching out of town.

Myself, a young mistress of the manor, left with a great fortune and many questions.

A coup d'etat for godhood and a gamble with the devil.
Two loyal maids,
A man proclaiming to be a hunter of "other" sorts,
A con man,
And a mysterious force we feel suffocating us all.
-----
CHARACTERS

(art coming soon!)

Edelmira Weiss
Our protagonist. 14 years old and the only daughter of the Weiss family.
Three years ago she became the sole heir to her parents manor and fortune after a peculiar "accident".
Mythos states theres even more this family has hidden...
Blinded by scarlet fever when she was around 7 years old.
Agatha
One of Edels maids.
Quite fond of the young mistress, but still a dreamer looking for something more.
Sharp edged and confident. Full of suspicion with quick wits to back it up.
Indira
Loyal to the end, Indira is edel's other maid and her right-hand servant.
She stands proudly at her side, with an unspoken vow to protect her. Her mere gaze is a proclamation of true love.
Levon
Serious and silent, this man claims to be more than the average huntsman, but one tracking down the evils of the night. A penchant for the truth who swears to not back down from his mission.
Alfeo
A snake oil salesman and con, with little regard for the lives he affects as long as he reaps the bounty. Foolishness is the peoples fault, after all.
DETAILS & PROGRESS
all assets are done by me! proofreading & editing is pending
writing: 15%
sprites: 0/6
backgrounds: 0/?
cgs: 0/9?
music:
coding: 0%
This is my first time taking on a project and writing anything major like this! I'm mostly doing this by the seat of my pants, with little experience and some knowledge of what I want to with this, so i'm excited to see how this evolves through the month! All critique/feedback/questions are very welcome!
Good luck with NaNo 2017 everyone!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: SPRING-HEELED JACK [NaNo17] [Mystery/Horror/Supernatural

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

Ohhh, this sounds super mysterious and interesting! The characters sound very individual and will be fun to meet in game.

How are you planning to handle the MC's blindness?

Really looking forward to uncovering the mystery behind the story. Good luck with it :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

smilehirasaka
Projects: NaNoReNo 2017: SPRING-HEELED JACK
Tumblr: sugarwafer

#3 Post by smilehirasaka »

Harliqueen wrote:Ohhh, this sounds super mysterious and interesting! The characters sound very individual and will be fun to meet in game.

How are you planning to handle the MC's blindness?

Really looking forward to uncovering the mystery behind the story. Good luck with it :)
Thank you! I'm really glad to hear that, its definitely something I was a little worried about LOL, as said above i'm pantsing this so i'm only getting to know these characters as I go.

Edel still has enough residual vision to percieve light/dark & blurred colors, very few blind people have that "total darkness" level of vision we usually assume blindness is! I'm sure ill hit a few snags later, but so far i've been writing in only sensory language/colors/light & found I can still paint a complete picture of her surroundings using that. If anything its opened up a lot of possibilities! Because of its nature as a VN if theres things I find as necessary visual information (i.e cgs & sprites) I can show the reader that while keeping it out of her POV & the text. While some visual scenes, possibly most of them (still debating this), will be shown from her level of vision. (Which still works, because none of the monsters I have planned rely on being seen hehehe)

I hope to establish her as a strong & independent character and try to dispel a lot of misconceptions and "poor you" mentalities we have towards blind/disabled people. with all horror coming from a genuine place and not just "being disabled is the scary part lol" like i've seen in other horrors!

Anyway, thank you so much for your interest! *^^* this will definitely be a ride lololol

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

This is a cool idea! I'm especially interested in the snake oil salesman, he sounds like he'll be quite the character.

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#5 Post by pinto minto »

Wow, I'm really liking the story so far! When I read the descriptions for the maids, I thought that was super cute. Can't wait to see you progress!!