Match Made in Heaven [GxG, B?xB][Comedy/Teen Angst][Nano17]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
femslashfatale
Regular
Projects: Match Made in Heaven, Worlds Without You, Fight or Flirt!

Match Made in Heaven [GxG, B?xB][Comedy/Teen Angst][Nano17]

#1 Post by femslashfatale »

I tried Nanoreno last year as my first attempt at finishing a visual novel & it didn't quite work out. This year, with more knowledge, I'm going to remake & finish it! My goal is to make it much shorter (and thus more doable). Logo subject to change.

S Y N O P S I S

You're an anxious, nonbinary junior high school student, and you've transferred to a new school at a really weird time. The school year's only got one week left! (There's a reason, but it's complicated.) To make things even weirder, you'll be transferring AGAIN to your mom's home country after school ends. (Again, complicated.)

You settle into a group of friends, but realize too late that there is a SHIT ton of baggage among them. All you wanted was some shallow acquaintances, but they just can't keep themselves from leaking all their feelings to you because you're the uninvolved outsider. Everyone's got issues.

Depending on how you handle this, you could tie up all their feelings with a neat lit bow or burn every bridge they've built between them for the last three years.

C H A R A C T E R S

Match Made in Heaven is blessed with a wonderful, extensive cast of absolute messes.

You: Like, the complete opposite of a social butterfly. Kinda bitter at the people who perform miracles and actually manage to form meaningful relationships. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

Alyssa: The student council president who is totally & shamelessly in it for college credit. She always talks like she's speaking through a megaphone.

Julie: A genuinely nice, sweet girl; the kind that'd play the princess in a fairytale. Her stutter just adds to her charm.

Tsui Li: There's always a big crowd around him, and he's got a good sense of humor! Sometimes. Kind of. Actually, he can be kind of a dick, but, well, he could be worse...

JT: The shining star of the drama club. The Watson to Tsui Li's Sherlock, except they don't solve mysteries, so more like the Luigi to Tsui Li's Mario?
P R O G R E S S
Plot Outline: 100%
Writing: 10%
Sprites: 50%
CGs: 20%
BGs: 0%
GUI/Programming: 20%
Last edited by femslashfatale on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:43 am, edited 15 times in total.

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Re: Match Made in Heaven REBOOT [GxG, B?xB][Parody][Nano17]

#2 Post by Mama J »

1. What do you think of the synopsis? I hope you'll all be able to have fun wreaking some havoc on these kids' relationships.
Being able to frick stuff up? Heck to the yes! I feel bad for the MC's situation with the moving and stuff, but at least they'll be able to go out with a bang!

2. Which character catches your eye the most?
It's a toss-up between Tsui Li and JT. Tsui Li because of his sense of humor and how he can be a dick (I don't know why that attracts me, I promise). And JT because drama club <333 Ah, my first love.

3. What are some of your favorite super cheesy romcom tropes?
Definitely "The Reformed Bad Boy." I mean, who doesn't want to be the one to change a guy who acts like a fricktard at first?

4. What do you think is one of the most absurd aspects of high school/being a high schooler?
Learning. Stress. Learning. Anxiety. Stress. :D

femslashfatale
Regular

#3 Post by femslashfatale »

Thanks for the feedback, Mama J! Greatly appreciated.

3/2 Update:
1. I've finished outlining the main game & endings. Go me!

2. Drew up the main character's sprite. Meet... you! Their name is customizable, but they are their own person and will always be referred to with they/them pronouns.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#4 Post by Alcor »

Oooh, this looks interesting! Very cute concept sketches, and I love MC's design. They remind me of an owl, tbh (I think it's a good thing).

1. What do you think of the synopsis? I hope you'll all be able to have fun wreaking some havoc on these kids' relationships.
Wreaking havoc sounds like fun. I love when games allow you to just wreak havoc and see the consequences. that makes me sound like a terrible person OTL MC's situation sounds tough, but hey, glad they'll be able to make the best of it by ruining everyone's lives. potentially.

2. Which character catches your eye the most?
(Optional): I'm curious about the dynamic between Tsui Li and JT. It sounds like an interesting partnership.

3. What are some of your favorite super cheesy romcom tropes?
oh no this question is too hard / there are too many answers

4. What do you think is one of the most absurd aspects of high school/being a high schooler?
The ridiculous drama, I think. (And after high school, you look back and question why it was such a big deal to begin with...)

Good luck :D

femslashfatale
Regular

Re: Match Made in Heaven [GxG, B?xB][Comedy/Teen Angst][Nano

#5 Post by femslashfatale »

Thanks for the response, ALCOR_etc!! I totally feel you. This game is 100% self-indulgence because I love writing really messy relationship drama.

3/4 Update:
1. Started first draft. Also, cutting down the timespan from one month to one week. There'll probably be a lot of cutting stuff as I go through making this, because I really wanna make sure I can finish it.

2. Sketched more characters! Here's Tsui Li & JT.
ImageImage
Drawing Tsui Li's design was physically painful because I know for a fact that it is the exact outfit that 2/3 of the boys at my school wear. At least JT's cute.

3. Started drawing Alyssa's sprite. I'm still trying to figure out what sort of look I wanna go for. What do you think?

Bto3
Regular
Completed: Naomi, VC: Simple Answers, Out of Sync
Projects: Vibrant Color, Out of Sync
Organization: Paper Star Studios
IRC Nick: B3_/Bto3
Tumblr: paperstarstudios
itch: Bto3

#6 Post by Bto3 »

Ohhh! I'm super looking forward to seeing this completed!

I don't have a lot of feedback, but it looks like a lot of fun and the premise is going to be fun to play with when it's all done. Also, your character designs are awesome.

Good luck getting this done! Dev like the wind!

femslashfatale
Regular

#7 Post by femslashfatale »

Thanks for the encouragement, Tabby!!

3/11 Update
1. First draft is at 1.5k words

2. Here's a crop of a CG!

femslashfatale
Regular

#8 Post by femslashfatale »

3/12 Update

1. New logo:

2. Julie & Alyssa's sprites are done!
ImageImage

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

#9 Post by BáiYù »

rubs my gay hands all over this

Everything looks great! o/ I love the choice of colors on each of the sprites, I'm still in awe how much your style has improved since last year. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help (in reasonable capacity)!
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

femslashfatale
Regular

#10 Post by femslashfatale »

@BaiYu
Thank you!! I'l definitely hit you up if I need advice or anything. o/

3/13 Update

1. Here's what I've been working on with the GUI, still a work in progress:

Hopefully, I can get imagemaps to work, but if it doesn't work out I've got the individual assets so I could still try imagebuttons afterward.........

femslashfatale
Regular

#11 Post by femslashfatale »

3/18 Update

1. Script is at 3k words.
2. Finished main menu screen (probably):

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#12 Post by Alcor »

aaaaah the GUI looks so nice! It works really nicely with the sprites (your style is adorable, by the way. THIS WHOLE PROJECT IS SO CUTE.) and it looks very user-friendly as well. Great job with that!