5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Nano17

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Message
Author
User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Nano17

#1 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 am

Image
(Title in progress)


SUMMARY:
The date is 12-12-12 and everyone seems to be talking about one topic only - the end of the world. To tell
you the truth I couldn't care less. My world has ended few weeks ago, when I got kicked out of university.
I’m not mad or sad about it. After all, it was my own fault. However everything I've been doing, my daily routine,
my friends, my (non)learning... all that is a distant past now. To make things worse, my current job hunting period
fills me with nothing but uncertainty. I wasn't able to find a single interview today that I could go to, and so I
have another empty, lazy and boring day ahead of me.

At least that’s what I have thought. At exactly 12:12 a stranger visited me, introduced himself as the creator
of this world, invaded my apartment and demands I help him set up a celebration of the world’s end.



CHARACTERS:


Destiny
(Supporting Character)
Image
Who else deserve more to be part of farewell party with the world than Destiny?
Manager of everything and everyone.


BACKGROUND SAMPLES:
Image

Image
(Room of MC will probably be the hardest BG to make and therefore needs feedback and iterations. What do you think? What will you recommend to make it better picture?)



PROGRESS:

Art: 10%
(2 characters and 2 backgroudns :))

Story: 5%
(Random scenes are piling up and first scenes are complete)

Programming: 1.5%
(say_window is hopefully done.)

Music: 0%
(Not even clue what I will be looking for.)

English translation:0%
(There is sitll big posibility that everything I have needs revision so I can't sent it yet)

CREDITS:
Moti (that's me): art, story, programming
Zalost (friend of mine): english translate

STATE OF THINGS:
On 28th of February we started our Greenlight campaign on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =794670662
Taking care of it currently takes all of my free time, so for this project I have 2-3 weekends at most. If you can, please support us.
It’s not VN, but It’s text based and most importantly, the better the Greenlight campaign goes, the more time I should gain for NaNoRenO.
So, now that I know exactly how much time I have. The only thing left is to figure out what exactly I can do with it. :D
Last edited by M0ti on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am, edited 10 times in total.
Image Image Image

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party [Nano17]

#2 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 am

(Hopefully future updates)
Image Image Image

User avatar
LokemTotem
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:25 am
itch: LokemTotem
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#3 Post by LokemTotem » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 am

Interesting premise of people connecting over the end of the world. Realistically the premise of the end of the world would make any worry about school and jobs almost non existent. Maybe that's meant to give background to the protagonist, though it would be more relevant for this to be told when they're at the party. A story about people bonding over an inevitable demise gives room to a lot of heart felt emotions (connection, disconnection, and how they may breakdown and react in the circumstances). ^^; Its a really thought provoking story! A tough one. Best of luck!

User avatar
Mama J
Regular
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 pm
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games
Location: Texas, United States
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#4 Post by Mama J » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am

Apocalyptic story involving an MC who's pretty much lost it all? Don't mind if I do!

The summary captured my attention from start to finish, and I'm already wanting more. I really am excited to see this project come to life. Good luck!

User avatar
parttimestorier
Regular
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:29 pm
Completed: No Other Medicine
Tumblr: parttimestorier
itch: janetitor
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#5 Post by parttimestorier » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:37 am

I also think the summary sounds pretty cool! If your friend is translating this into English, I'm curious to know what language you're writing it in originally. Also, does the [B&W] in your title mean that the art will be in black and white, or does it stand for something else?
ImageImage

User avatar
ALCOR_etc
Veteran
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:14 pm
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love!
Projects: BL4NK x RE4DER, a(t)rium (NaNo '17), bookSLEEPer (NaNo '17)
Tumblr: studio-dipper
itch: studio-dipper
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#6 Post by ALCOR_etc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

The premise sounds really interesting, and I can't wait to see how it will play out! Also I'm not sure if the logo is finished or not, but I'm really liking how simple and clean it is right not. I'm definitely curious about how the rest of the assets will look :D

Good luck~

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#7 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm

LokemTotem wrote:Interesting premise of people connecting over the end of the world. Realistically the premise of the end of the world would make any worry about school and jobs almost non existent. Maybe that's meant to give background to the protagonist, though it would be more relevant for this to be told when they're at the party. A story about people bonding over an inevitable demise gives room to a lot of heart felt emotions (connection, disconnection, and how they may breakdown and react in the circumstances). ^^; Its a really thought provoking story! A tough one. Best of luck!
Thank you! To tell you the truth even I'm curious in what will come out of this. Right now I have the main setting, starting exposition and trigger, but that's it. Now I collect random scenes and ideas in search of what will work and in which direction I would like to go.
Still, I'm pretty sure the mood will be lighter than you probably expect. I'm going for more bizarre feel. Characters will be intentionally more phlegmatic and accepting so with the impeding world's end they don't break down or panic. Broken people need time tofocus on themselves instead of exploring surrounding events, which is something I am looking for in the gameplay.
Image Image Image

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#8 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Mama J wrote:Apocalyptic story involving an MC who's pretty much lost it all? Don't mind if I do!

The summary captured my attention from start to finish, and I'm already wanting more. I really am excited to see this project come to life. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your excitement. This project means a lot to me and I’m sure your support will give me strength to do my best. :)
Image Image Image

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#9 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:29 pm

parttimestorier wrote:I also think the summary sounds pretty cool! If your friend is translating this into English, I'm curious to know what language you're writing it in originally. Also, does the [B&W] in your title mean that the art will be in black and white, or does it stand for something else?
Thank you. It makes me happy to see that the basic concept appeals to you. I’m from Czech Republic so the visual novel will be in Czech. :)
B&W really stands for black and white. It’s mostly for practical reasons. In creative process I typically do game design, writing and sometimes directing. I’m not graphic designer. Thinking about color palette, what color suits the character, express the character and match rest of the scene is hard for me and that’s why I decided for black and white style.
Image Image Image

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#10 Post by M0ti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

ALCOR_etc wrote:The premise sounds really interesting, and I can't wait to see how it will play out! Also I'm not sure if the logo is finished or not, but I'm really liking how simple and clean it is right not. I'm definitely curious about how the rest of the assets will look :D

Good luck~
Thank you. Praise from role model means a lot to me. :D
The logo might change if I change the title but for now I’m satisfied with it. Cleanness is mostly result of doing vector graphics. I’m bad with rast … and using my hands… so I will make gui, backgrounds and characters in vector graphics.
On the other hand simplicity is intentional. I will seek simple almost minimalist black and white style. At least for backgrounds. But right now it's just a theory. On weekend I need to test if it's achievable and also pleasant for eyes.
Image Image Image

User avatar
ALCOR_etc
Veteran
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:14 pm
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love!
Projects: BL4NK x RE4DER, a(t)rium (NaNo '17), bookSLEEPer (NaNo '17)
Tumblr: studio-dipper
itch: studio-dipper
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#11 Post by ALCOR_etc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm

M0ti wrote:Thank you. Praise from role model means a lot to me. :D
The logo might change if I change the title but for now I’m satisfied with it. Cleanness is mostly result of doing vector graphics. I’m bad with rast … and using my hands… so I will make gui, backgrounds and characters in vector graphics.
On the other hand simplicity is intentional. I will seek simple almost minimalist black and white style. At least for backgrounds. But right now it's just a theory. On weekend I need to test if it's achievable and also pleasant for eyes.
Awww shucks, I'm not a very good role model ^_^'

It definitely looks like vector is working out well for you! I'm curious what the backgrounds and characters will look like in a black and white style. I think it's actually harder to make graphics that are both clear and aesthetically pleasing without colors, so props to you if you can pull it off! When you say B&W, does that mean you won't be using shades of grey?

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#12 Post by M0ti » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:20 am

ALCOR_etc wrote: Awww shucks, I'm not a very good role model ^_^'

It definitely looks like vector is working out well for you! I'm curious what the backgrounds and characters will look like in a black and white style. I think it's actually harder to make graphics that are both clear and aesthetically pleasing without colors, so props to you if you can pull it off! When you say B&W, does that mean you won't be using shades of grey?
Strict black and white will be probably suicide for me so I will help myself with 1 - 3 shades of gray if I need to. Today I would like to try make two test backgrounds so I should find soon enough, if it's possible and if not, change my mind. :D
Image Image Image

User avatar
M0ti
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#13 Post by M0ti » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 am

Image
Here is my first BG test. Well, I call it test but it's actually scene from the game and it's almost done. If I have enough time when it's translated I will revisit it for minor tweaks like making the tiles in front of the shrine asymmetric with grass growing through or putting tree branches in front of the moon. Simply making hints about the surrounding which is drowned in black. :)

What do you think? Does it look good? Can you recognize what you are looking at? :D
Is it enough for you? Because with some backgrounds I would probably strive for even simplest solution.
Image Image Image

User avatar
ALCOR_etc
Veteran
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:14 pm
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love!
Projects: BL4NK x RE4DER, a(t)rium (NaNo '17), bookSLEEPer (NaNo '17)
Tumblr: studio-dipper
itch: studio-dipper
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#14 Post by ALCOR_etc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:54 pm

M0ti wrote:Here is my first BG test. Well, I call it test but it's actually scene from the game and it's almost done. If I have enough time when it's translated I will revisit it for minor tweaks like making the tiles in front of the shrine asymmetric with grass growing through or putting tree branches in front of the moon. Simply making hints about the surrounding which is drowned in black. :)

What do you think? Does it look good? Can you recognize what you are looking at? :D
Is it enough for you? Because with some backgrounds I would probably strive for even simplest solution.
Oooh, that looks nice! It's a temple (I think? I can tell that it's a house with a pointy, triangular roof, which I associate with temples).

I didn't quite notice the dark grey in the image until I looked at the image really closely, though. I'd suggest maybe trying a slightly lighter shade of grey, because the image doesn't read as well without the grey parts. Regardless, it'd be really cool to see an entire game in this style!

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: 5x12 Unlimited World’s End Party[B&W][comedy][fantasy]Na

#15 Post by Zelan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 pm

I agree with Alcor - it looks awesome, but the grey could go a little lighter so that it's easier to see. The first time I saw this, I was on my phone (tiny screen) and I didn't see the grey at all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users