Pairs [NaNo17][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance] [COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Pairs [NaNo17][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance] [COMPLETE]

#1 Post by pyopyon »

Writer/Programmer: owl.
Writer: Tintenseher
BG Artist: andrewus
Sprite Artist: Shida
Chibi Artist: Butterfly Wisps
Composer: Noyemi K
GUI Designer: Atomic-Invasion
Logo Designer: Mama J
STORY.

An alien with sketchy morals wants her boyfriend to love her.
A human boy schemes to get his parents back from death.
A mutant tries to figure out where her heart lies with her childhood friend.
An illusionist struggles with his motivations behind becoming a hero.

Four stories. Four people. A chance to understand them all.

GAMEPLAY.

There's no central plot that connects the four of them together-- rather, this is a peering into the worlds of two couples. Players choose one of four characters, each with their own unique route and perspective of their relationships with their significant other. With their choices, they can choose to build a relationship or utterly destroy it with all the implied consequences.

Set in a world where humans with superhuman abilities are called Naturals and their constant battle for the Earth against the invading alien species, the Naians.

CAST.
ImageImage

Kitten Pink: outfit 1 | outfit 2

Kitten Pink. The daughter of King Khaos, an alien dictator set on conquering the earth, Kitten doesn't quite endorse her father's war mongering, but... as the product of Naian society, she doesn't find a problem with it either. In the eyes of her people, if Earth successfully defeats them, then it is clear they deserve to keep their lands. Otherwise....

Despite being prone to violence and having no qualms about destroying human livelihoods, she enjoys her time on the earth because of its natural beauty and fauna. Favorite color: Pink. As the successor of the Naian Empire, she acts with impunity and deliberately ignores human conventions to get her way.

“Everything you do is cute. Especially the way you say I can’t threaten your boss or your friends or your customers. I guess I find it kind of charming in your little human way.”
James Zhang. Victim of 'wrong place, wrong time' syndrome, James catches the eye of Kitten during a battle and by some mystery ends up agreeing to date her-- after a relentless pursuit on her end for an undisclosed amount of time. He's a rather normal guy who works in a pastry shop, supporting his younger sister Mei after their parents passed away in an unfortunate accident. Seems nice if a little emotionally exhausted but he's suspiciously casual about his dating partner. May have his own agenda.

“So, I’m really your boyfriend, huh… Well, I guess that’s fine. Can you at least stop bringing those weird guns when you visit me at work? It scares the regulars.”

Carmelita/Dragon: outfit 1 | outfit 2
Carmelita Brown. Translocator Natural in training. Code name: Dragon. She can create portals when she concentrates as a form of teleportation, but it seems to only manifest in extreme stress. Her powers right now are most useful for pocket space (the ability to displace objects in pocket dimensions so that only the user can retrieve them), as well as teleporting objects.

It's rumored that because her best friend is an illusionist her appearance is some kind of disguise and that actually, very few people know what she really looks like and why she’s called "Dragon." While the rumor is another matter altogether, one thing is certain; she does have a close relationship with Ricardo-- which may or may not be a problem. She likes him, but every since she started to date him, things have changed... and she doesn't quite know how to handle it. At least, she can concentrate on hero work... if Ricardo isn't around, anyway.

“A real hero is strong, brave, kind and cool. Everyday, I think I’m closer to becoming one.”

Glamour: outfit1 | outfit 2
Ricardo Fernandez. Illusionist Natural in training. Code name: Glamour. He (and Dragon) are actually not training for conventional hero-work. Their missions are more along the lines of intrigue-- in other words, super-spies. He dislikes hero work, the World Protection Program, and the way heroes are treated and has no interest in protecting people or other high ideals.

In spite of that, he takes his illusions and honing his skills very seriously, mostly for Carmelita's benefit. Though he is serious with her, he does have a tendency for subtle, even playful flair and being overly cynical. He grew up with Carmelita and knows her better than anyone. His powers manifested after hers.

“Glamour? Ha. Tags are nothing but a bunch of fancy nicknames meant to make a person seem like more than they are."

Writing Progress:

Introduction
Noiya/Kitten Pink:
  • Ch1 | Ch2 | Ch3 | Ch4 | End1 | End2 [COMPLETE]
James:
Carmelita/Dragon:
Ricardo/Glamour:
Older Art Updates:

Kitten Pink Hair Concepts
Kitten Pink Outfit Concepts
James Zhang Outfit Concepts
Dragon Outfit Concepts
Glamour Outfit Concepts
Ricardo Glamour Outfit Concepts 2
Pastry Shop BG Layout
Park BG First Draft
Second Park BG Draft. Daytime
Third Park BG Draft. Night
Kitten Pink Selection Menu Chibi Draft
Kitten Pink Selection Menu Completed Chibi
Kitten Pink- Human Outfit
Kitten Pink - Naian Royalty Outfit
Carmelita/Dragon Hair Concepts
Carmelita/Dragon - Uniform
Carmelita/Dragon - Casual Outfit
Ricardo/Glamour Hair & Face Concepts
Ricardo/Glamour - Uniform
Ricardo/Glamour - Casual Outfit
James Zhang Hair & Face Concepts
James Zhang - Undercut Hair Concept
James Zhang Expressions
Pairs Logo

Final Comments:

1. What do you think of the concept?
2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)?
3. Does it bother you that you won't get as much backstory of the large scale world they live in?
4. Any questions or commentary?
Last edited by pyopyon on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Pairs [Working Title][NaNo17][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance

#2 Post by Zelan »

1. What do you think of the concept?: I saw it in the NaNo recruitment thread and I loved it. I love it even more now with this extra information.
2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)?: Kitten! For both. She's awesome. ^_^
3. Does it bother you that you won't get as much backstory of the large scale world they live in?: I wouldn't say it bothers me, but it might be nice as some extra information, either on this thread or in the game.
4. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd*: cx Sorry man, I'm not an artist.
5. Any questions?: what happened to Catching the Fox?

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#3 Post by Amiralo »

First of all, can I say that the art is gorgeous? It's truly beautiful.
1. I really like it! It's really unique, and it promisese diverse, non-cookie cutter relationships
2.The foreign alien princess appeals to me the most. I love how out of the loop and determined she is.
3. Not really, i mean, this is nano reno. I am not expecting an epic saga detailing earthlings and alien's life and death struggle.
4. I'm sorry, but i am already collaborating with another nano reno project, as well as trying to start my own nano reno lmao.
5. Will the ending be predetermined? Also what is the tone of the story?

All in all, this looks very interesting, and I am eagerly awaiting this game! *jumps up and down in seat like a little kid"
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#4 Post by Mama J »

WOAH woah woah!! The logo is so amazing!!!! 10/10 holy smokes

I love the story so much. It has great promise and I think you're onto something great :D

Appearance- and personality-wise, I like Ricardo the most. He has cool hair (-'; Also, he's a super-spy with a kind of cold/serious demeanor. All I need, tbh.

3. Does it bother you that you won't get as much backstory of the large scale world they live in?
No, actually. I don't mind that there won't be a lot of explanation about how their world works. I'm much more interested in the individual journeys, instead of a backstory into how things came to be.

4. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd*
I can't GUI, sorry, but if I could, I so would Dx

5. Any questions?
How did you make that hecka gorgeous logo??

pyopyon
Veteran

#5 Post by pyopyon »

@Zelan -- Whoo! Following since recruitment! That's good to know, because I've had my doubts since recruitment. I thought to myself, "Wow, I have no idea how to decribe this without it sounding really abstract or like... a total mess. Hm." So if it came across as a good idea back then, I'm in luck. XD Kitten is also my personal favorite. Due to the extensive cast of this world, there were a lot of Pairs to choose from-- but early on, we felt like no matter what, Kitten had to be in the game. As to her design, I thought to myself, where are the curly haired aliens? I don't think I've ever seen one in any form of media, so here's Kitten in all her curly glory! Ah, the GUI question! You didn't have to answer that seriously, XD. But thank you! Ahh, CtF. I knew somebody would ask me LOL CtF is actually still in development, surprisingly. We just got new graphics for the game's mechanics and resized it to 1280x760 so the backgrounds are being redone. Writing is paused while I do NaNo but it should come out this summer if I stay on schedule!

@Amiralo -- Thank you! I certainly agree. Shida is a very talented artist and I'm glad to be working with her! Thank you! I think (hope) so, too. There were a lot of "pairs" to play with in their universe, so it was a hard pick. Two relationships I really wanted to do got scrapped because... you know. NaNo. (^: So I hope the ones I've chosen will be enjoyable. // HA. "Out of the loop" and "determined" truly apply to Kitten Pink. She's.... hm. Hard to describe, because her emotions are a bit everywhere. I hope people enjoy her perspective because its been fun writing it. LOL Hope your NaNo is successful!! There are two endings for each perspective. Either you ruin their relationship or you build it up! So 4 bad, 4 good. The tone is pretty light-hearted. It's got drama but there's a little bit of comedy because it doesn't take itself seriously. Thanksss!! See ya April 1st!

@Mama J -- I laugh every time I read this comment without FAIL! LOLLLLL. Thank you! I hope we can delivery! LOL Ricardo's cool hair could have its own route tbh. I'd fall in love with it-- *brick'd* Unfortunately, you don't get to see the cold/serious side TOO too often since his concentrates on Dragon so much, so he becomes a bit softer around her-- but it does come through and have enough of its own swoon-worthy moments. Fun fact: I thought about calling them super-super-spies (since they have abilities but not combative "mainstream" ones) but I thought it sounded too funny to include it though, like a parody or something. Good! Since that's most of what you'll get. LOL, thanks anyway! Your heart is what counts. (^; Well, with enough imagination, you can make anything~! //channels Glamour
UPDATES
[1 March 2017] Beginning sketches and designs were completed for Kitten Pink & James. Introduction complete. KItten Pink Chibi pose sketched.
[2 March 2017] Chapter 1| Kitten Pink's perspective completed. Designs for Dragon & Glamour completed.
Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

pyopyon wrote:@Zelan -- Whoo! Following since recruitment! That's good to know, because I've had my doubts since recruitment. I thought to myself, "Wow, I have no idea how to decribe this without it sounding really abstract or like... a total mess. Hm." So if it came across as a good idea back then, I'm in luck. XD Kitten is also my personal favorite. Due to the extensive cast of this world, there were a lot of Pairs to choose from-- but early on, we felt like no matter what, Kitten had to be in the game. As to her design, I thought to myself, where are the curly haired aliens? I don't think I've ever seen one in any form of media, so here's Kitten in all her curly glory! Ah, the GUI question! You didn't have to answer that seriously, XD. But thank you! Ahh, CtF. I knew somebody would ask me LOL CtF is actually still in development, surprisingly. We just got new graphics for the game's mechanics and resized it to 1280x760 so the backgrounds are being redone. Writing is paused while I do NaNo but it should come out this summer if I stay on schedule!
Yeah, I though a series of "one-shots" set in one world was an awesome idea! I've never seen a VN like that before, but one of my favorite books, The Martian Chronicles, has a similar premise.

I think you made a great choice with Kitten! She seems like such a fun character.

Ha, I kind of felt bad for bringing it up, especially when you're focusing on this NaNo project, but it was one of my favorite ideas from last year so I had to ask! ^_^ I'm so glad it's still being worked on! I look forward to it.

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#7 Post by Desichan »

Back when I was looking through NaNoRenO concepts, this one really stood out to me. It seems really interesting! I like how there's multiple stories, so it feels like there'll be something for everyone!

Kitten Pink, and James Zhang, for both appearance and personality. >wOb They both look adorable, and James seems like a character I'd love learning more about. Kitten, on the other hand, her whole story really appeals to me, and I'm excited that she really likes pink!

I'm fine with that. We can piece together what's important, but this is a NaNo project, and it sounds centered around the couples. So I'm excited with that.

3.5. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd*

Aha, I have no clue how to GUI @-@ I'd die, and it'd look bad, lolz. I really hope you find a GUI artist!

4. Any questions?

None really, but I wish you the best of luck, and I'm super excited to play this, once it's done! Do your best!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#8 Post by Alcor »

Sounds awesome! I'm loving the set-up and premise. also I'm always down for a chance to ruin relationships yes yes

James! James looks great in the concept, and I'm enjoying his (suspicious) nonchalant manner regarding Kitten. Each of the characters has quite a personality, actually. Great choices!

It'd be awesome to get backstory, but hey, it's a NaNo project, so don't fret too much! :D

To be honest, yes. But it's just not possible at the moment ;_; I HOPE YOU FIND A COOL UI PERSON THOUGH

Best of luck :D

pyopyon
Veteran

#9 Post by pyopyon »

@Zelan -- Now that I think on it, me either. I hope it's received well. We'll see, hehehe~ Kitten's got some tricks up her sleeves so I think it'll be interesting for all parties involved. It's fine! Aw, thanks! I'm sorry. Admittedly, it was mostly my fault. I got real life busy and got distracted. But it's def back on track!

@Desichan -- Wow! Another one! I'm glad you liked the concept. I mentioned earlier that I was very uncertain as to how it'd be received so I'm glad! Whoooooo~ I'm glad, haha. James is a cool dude. You get a brief glimpse in the story as to why she goes by that name. I won't spoil here, but her love for the color pink is definitely one of those things that has to do with it. Haha. I hope you enjoy them! As far as the backstory thing, it's my hope that enough can be understood to get a vague image. I really do want it to be about the people themselves, though! LOL, thank you! We certainly will!

ALCOR_etc -- Oooh~ it's Alcor. I'm looking forward to your projects, too, actually! LOL YOU'RE THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY THAT ABOUT THE BREAK UPS. I'M GLAD TBH bc personally, I'm not one for bad endings, but I thought this would seem incomplete without some good ole fashion meltdown style break ups. Thank you soo much! I admittedly invented James for NaNo because Kitten was initially paired with someone else-- another Naian who is apart of the human resistance. (Why and how Naians would join resistances is answered in the game so //zips lips) ouo;; Maybe one day her intended will make an appearance in another game in another pair? You never know~ Thanks a lot!! I worried that having too "cool/serious/chill" characters would be bothersome when there's such a variety of personality amongst the cast, but overall, I'm satisfied with who we chose. Yay! If I figure out a way to reveal more, I will but I don't think it'd be possible without involving more characters so... NaNo style it'll stay. LOLLLL IN ANOTHER WORLD, MAYBE. Your GUI work for a(t)rium is gorgeous (AND I LOVE THE STYLIZED TITLE WAY MUCH.) I hope so too! Thanks & Same to you!

UPDATES

[3 March 2017] First background mock-up drafted. Chapter 2| KP Completed.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#10 Post by pyopyon »

UPDATES
[4 March 2017]

Chapter 3| KP Completed.
Chapter 1| Dragon Completed.

We also made some decisions about more... concept stuff. This time, it was about clothes! ^^

Kitten Clothing Concepts -- Three very different styles. Style one is inspired from The Jetsons. I thought the triangular flared dress/skirts of the Jetsons reminded me of modern day peplums, so it's a bit in that direction. Version two is inspired by Willow Smith my child fashion icon, specifically one of her outfits from 2013. Very alien, very fashionable. Lots of geometric shapes and interesting patterns. Of course, with KP being royal, I thought that it would be good to have her with some kind of decoration as well. Her headdress is not a tiara-- cats are strictly human/Earth business-- but you can imagine she had it crafted for her to wear. A TRU cat lover. Style three is more blend-in-with-the-humans style and is another way to express her love for cats and pink.

James Clothing Concepts -- As a guy who rarely has time for much else, he mostly wears easy mix-and-match monochrome clothing for optimal living: the minimal amount of effort + minimal amount of whining of Mei's part for him to dress better. Win-win! Each features different kind of aprons.

Carmelita/Dragon Clothing Concepts -- Dragon is VERY sheltered, so she dresses a bit old-fashioned/modestly. She likes simple styles. Since she is in training, she wears a uniform, hence the middle outfit!

Ricardo/Glamour Clothing Concepts -- Ricardo was hard to dress. On one hand, he can wear whatever he wants via illusion, so why bother to wear any clothes at all? On the other hand... if he IS wearing an illusion, what kind of clothes would he put himself in? We decided on a more relaxed, but still slightly neat style. In the second picture, the center is his uniform.

Honestly, two outfits seems like a lot of work to me, so who knows what will appear in the game! ^^

Last but not least, I realized I forgot to post any W.I.P. BGs so, without further ado--

A render of the layout of the pastry shop!

Whoo~ so much progress.

For the record, we're doing the routes and editing as we go, so when they're complete, by the time all the writing is done, it should be edit-less. Phew.
Last edited by pyopyon on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#11 Post by pyopyon »

[Captain's Log: 5 March 2017]

The sun has risen on day six of NaNoRenO and life is good.

Kitten Pin's 4th chapter is complete, so logically tomorrow, the full route will be complete.

Body types for the cast have been chosen. There is much excitement, most of it emanating from me like some form of background radiation...

No GUI artist yet. I contacted someone who was open to trade but no word on if they're willing to. Hoping for success but not too much since even if they did GUI it up, I couldn't buckle down and write their request until NaNo finished (or at least until the writing side does.)

We'll see.

//owl out.
Image ImageImage

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#12 Post by Glitterbark »

SO COOL. I love the idea of getting to see both points of view in the relationship, and I'm really interested in the differences between how characters perceive things. And the character concepts are neat! Not only are you not really relying on archetypes, but you're also presenting characters that are waaay different than anything I've seen before. I'm looking forward to this!

Dragon! I love her hair and I've always had a fondness for heroic characters.

It doesn't bother me, just as long as there isn't some distracting, immersion breaking question that isn't explained. As long as what we do see of the world has an internal consistency to it, everything should be fine. (Though this does sound like a world I'd like to know more about!)

if only.

4. Any questions?

I'm curious what your inspirations for the story were, if there were any. There's something it reminds me of (in a good way!) that I can't quite put my finger on...
WIP: Image

Antizaba

#13 Post by Antizaba »

I love it! It sounds really interesting :)
It's hard to say, they all have something interesting in them. I think my choice for now is Kitten, i love her outfits :)
Not at all... actually i like it when i'm not given all the info, so i'm forced to think about it myself.
I can't make GUI, sorry :(
4. Any questions?
No. But good luck with the game, so far it looks awesome :)

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#14 Post by Evy »

I totally want Dragon to wear the yellow dress with the OTKs as her usual/casual outfit but that's my own bias speaking =w=

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#15 Post by Didules »

Hello! Quite an interesting game you are developing here! Now onto questions...

I'm loving it. As simple as that. It seems to be set in a very interesting world, the characters are also very interesting, I love the fact they each have their own story. I guess we will have the opportunity to explore their past and relationship thro their route and their choices. I'm very enthusiastic as science-fantasy is one of my very fav' genre, and here it seems to be quite a serious story. Seriously I'm very much in love with the concept and the plots we can guess.

I feel more interested in Carmelita and Ricardo as a pair because the potential as a couple is obvious, while James and Kitten could be very interesting on their own. In the end, they all seem VERY interesting, and I want them all :P
You had great ideas with them, I hope you can pull it through.

Not that much actually. Having the backstory of the characters seem to be enough (at least to understand the whole plot), so it should be okay with just a few hints, so we won't be lost while playing. Too much backstory would make the game longer and harder to develop while not being absolutely needed, so it's fine!
I love backstory, but only when necessary ;)

Haha, wish I had the time... plus I suck at doing the GUI. Sorry... I hope you'll find someone soon!

4. Any questions?

Actually yes: do you have an expected length for this game? Do you think you'll manage to finish the whole game for the NaNo or just a demo? Did someone already tell you how beautiful those designs are?
You seem to have quite a team on this game, I really hope you can all manage to finish this game and be happy with it!

I wish you all the best, good luck!! I'll be following this topic closely ;)