Pairs [NaNo17][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance] [COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: Pairs [Working Title][NaNo17][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance

#46 Post by Alcor »

pyopyon wrote:@ALCOR_etc -- o: THANKS FOR YOUR FANART! IT'S THE FIRST FANART THAT I HAVE EVER RECEIVED IN MY LIFE!! THANK YOU ; o ; so MUCH!! O-of course! I'm also looking forward to your projects too, so thank you for taking the time out to make this for us!

Updates

//still on cloud 9

//mutters to self

fan art, guys, fan art
Really glad you like it! And, w-wow, a first! I'M HONORED TO BE THE FIRST TBH, I'M PRETTY SURE LOTS OF PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO DRAW KITTEN BECAUSE SHE LOOKS JUST THAT AMAZING

also hot damn is Ricardo handsome (I don't think this is a real sentence)
You can finish his chapter! I believe in you!

Dragon is also gorgeous tbh. All the characters are gorgeous. I can't wait to see James; I'd prolly want to steal him from Kitten...
(that chibi is adorbs and I can't wait to see it in full color)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#47 Post by Zelan »

pyopyon wrote:And here's some fine progress shots of Ricardo lookin' handsome.

dAYUM son. I approve of this update

Good luck figuring out your characters! I swear it's like they don't want to be written about, the stubborn asses.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#48 Post by pyopyon »

@ALCOR_etc -- Ahhh, that would be so cool! >w< I can't even imagine it so I don't dare hope, but I'm looking forward to it too! ; u ; LOOOLLL technically it is! I'll keep it... Syntax definitely expresses a certain... je ne sais quoi quality~ Haha. I FINISHED I THOUGH LOL. Now I'm one chapter behind again instead of two! Thanks!! > u < I totally agree, haha. I don't think James can even steal himself from Kitten so... //claps u on the back// Good fight... good fight. Agreed though! Dragon is cute in every form haha.

@Zelan -- LOLLLL now that's the reaction I'm lookin' for! Haha. (^': Thanks! Ricardo's first chapter is done at last and he is as gloriously ornery as I hoped he would be. He talks less than Dragon so there's a lot of inner dialogues on his part. But he's cooperated! It's the best I can ask for knowing his personality is already like this. XD

Updates

I got Ricardo's chapter done! Now to chug through at least half of one more before I sleep.

Another BG was completed (but I won't be posting any more BG updates! ^^ We don't have that many backgrounds, so I'd like to have some mystery!)

IDK what else is done because I had work all day but there it is! A light update for today. (^:
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#49 Post by Harliqueen »

Ah, Ricardio, that gaze... I approve very much of it :D

I'm looking forward to his route, seems like he will be really different than the others if he has more inner dialogues! It'll be interesting to see how he thinks, rather than him expressing it all outwardly (if that makes any sense? :D ).
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#50 Post by Ghost of Crux »

FIRST THINGS FIRST. AMAZING ART. HILARIOUS LITTLE COMMENTS. INCREDIBLY INTERESTING CHARACTERS. REALLY GREAT CONCEPT.

Sorry-- I've been eyeing this project for days but idk how to really say it in longer than a series of incredibly short sentences. But know that I really love what I'm seeing so far and hope to get to play this sooner than later!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

pyopyon
Veteran

#51 Post by pyopyon »

@Harliqueen -- Ricardo is a pretty handsome! He's got that pretty boy stare, haha. I think he's possibly the only introvert of the bunch, so you're right about that! He thinks more than he says, and he's not really a silent guy. Half the time, he doesn't want to express it and the other half, he chooses not to. That said, he's kind of easy for Carmelita to read. She doesn't really know what he's thikning, but she can always tell when he's thinking something.

@Ghost of Crux -- Thanks!! Hahaha, these little blurbs sound like the summary of the game. I honestly couldn't think of anything so I basically did the same thing. ^^ I'm glad you like what you see! You definitely will get to play this sooner than later. Our progress has been pretty steady so I think we're gonna make it! >w<

Updates

//drags hands down face

Ricardo is a troublesome fellow, let me just start there, haha. I feel like he's so hard to write because we think so different from each other DX It's been coming but it's definitely not an easy squeeze, getting to pick his brain. James was a little difficult but after I got the first chapter out he flowed. I feel like I'm going to be battling uphill for every single one of his chapters XD

Anyway! Dragon's chibi is done and colored! I'll reveal it here, but I haven't decided if it'll be the last public update of the chibis or not.

(Probably will, though. I like to have some mystery since the game isn't terribly long, you know?)

So here she is~!

//shiny heart eyes

//whispers I love her

We also have Dragon's theme song! It really vibes with her well.

Ricardo's line art/base sprite is also done!

First, his uniform. As a lil reminder, the color corresponds with his power set. Mental abilities are dandelion yellow, so there it is! ^^

Second, his casual outfit. Ricardo likes to dress neatly but casually and he's not afraid of color. That said, he does wear illusions sometimes. It's only really embarrassing when Carmelita sees through them.
Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Zelan »

Lots of yellow in this art update! I like it, it suits both of them. c:

You should punish Ricardo for being so hard to write by putting him in as many embarrassing situations as possible

EscapistHowl
Projects: MamoteMi: Moonlight / Failed quest
Tumblr: EscapistHowl
Deviantart: EscapistHowl

#53 Post by EscapistHowl »

Yay!!! am I too late for joining the bandwagon of comments? For what I can see, this game has some seriously talented artists and character design, omg! I'm sure that writer too, of course, since the story sounds so original. I'm def going to play it ^^
About the questions:

1. What do you think of the concept?
I like it, feels like I'll feel inmersed in that world.

2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)?
Kitten pink def catches your eye, her desing is reeaaaally pretty, but James--- instant crush, for both looks and personality, I'm really curious of how his story would develope :P

3. Does it bother you that you won't get as much backstory of the large scale world they live in?
Nah, I'm pretty imaginative myself, just a basic set up is enough to make me think the rest of it xD

4. Any questions or commentary?
It has the potential to get very emotional... and I am kinda masochistic about that, so I'm sure I'd love it. Good luck to you and all the team!

pyopyon
Veteran

#54 Post by pyopyon »

@Zelan -- You know, I thought the same thing! Agreed, haha. Ohh, if only that worked -__- Ricardo would probably pack and leave me...

//watches him leave to become someone else's OC

@EscapistHowl -- Hey, Howl!! It's never too late, haha. Thank you on both counts! ^^ I hope you like it when you play! I'm glad you like the concept and Kitten's design! LOL, instant crush, huh? Funny that you say that... he was quite the heart throb back in high school, you know. I hope you like his story! ^^ Ah, good! I hope that it's a universe that can be quickly understood and that it'll pull you in! Very emotional, huh? No comment. :lol: I hope that you do love it! Thanks a lot!

UPDATES

So final crunch time is approaching! I have immensely busy as you guys can imagine.

Dragon's route is complete, courtesy of my co-writer, Tintenseher, which means the last perspective, Ricardo is due to be completed, hopefully tomorrow! By far, I think Ricardo's perspective was the most difficult to get into but now that chapter two is finished, chapter 3 is surprisingly flowing much better.

I decided on a different kind of update-- instead of posting James's full body, I'm just going to post some of his expressions! ^^

What a cute amirite :B

The soundtrack is done, and Ricardo's dorm room is complete. Kitten's bedroom is almost done.

I'm sorry say that there won't be any in-game screenshots! ^^ The GUI is due around the 29th so there... probably won't be any. :lol:

Ah! As a side note-- the first post is updated so all the sprites are there! I also added a link to the James-with-an-undercut concept art if anyone's interested.

...That's today's update! That'll be all from me!
Last edited by pyopyon on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#55 Post by Alcor »

JAMES JAMES JAMES
YOU'RE SOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUTE PLS BE MINE OKAY

I'M SUPER EXCITED AND I'M GLAD EVERYTHING IS COMING TOGETHER

YOU GUYS WILL MAKE IT <3

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Zelan »

Aww, he is pretty cute. cx Good luck on the final stretch!

pyopyon
Veteran

#57 Post by pyopyon »

@ALCOR_etc-- //joins the chant tbh. His sprite is cute with and without glasses (though he doesn't appear without them in-game. Hahaha, if he were in a normal otome game, he'd be difficult to romance because his sister is his real number one. It's cute in concept but he'd be frustrating after a while... I'm glad too! I THINK WE WILL! TODAY IS THE DAY SPRITES START GOIN' IN SO!! THANKS! ^^

Zelan -- Heehee, thank you on both counts!

UPDATES

So I have been writing and re-writing (long story) and I'm working on Ricardo's final chapter while putting in sprites. * A * //fast writing coding powers activate

As a warning.... Ricardo came out COMPLETELY differently than I conceptualized him. :shock: I wanted to write him one way but he came out toooootally different so... uhm.... anyone who wanted him to be a cool, suave spy, I'm sorry. Be prepared for that, haha. I updated his blurb and quote on the first page to reflect that. Altered Dragon's a bit, too.

By the way, we do have a GUI, created by the ever awesome Atomic-Invasion! ^^

Another side note-- we hit 60k in words! I think the completed game should be a little under 65k! So not bad, IMO. (^:

That's all I have time for today! No picture updates.
Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Zelan »

It's always interesting when characters go a different way than what you first intended. I'm excited to see how he ended up! c: Good luck getting the coding and endings done! You're truly in the final stretch here!

(Do you know when the logo will be done/revealed? I would love to see it asap but at the same time I think it would be kind of cool if you kept it secret until release day.)

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#59 Post by Noyemi K »

I took a crack at making the logo since I had some spare time:
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

#60 Post by BáiYù »

I don't even work here but I helped put in most of the
Edit: screenshot taken down by request
I should dev more, I'm getting rusty.
Last edited by BáiYù on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes