deadbeat [friendship / slice of life] [nano 17]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
abbeykurae
Tumblr: abbeykurae
itch: abbeykurae

deadbeat [friendship / slice of life] [nano 17]

#1 Post by abbeykurae »

deadbeat logo concept 2.png
Hi there! This is my attempt at a NaNoRenO entry, working title 'deadbeat' until I can come up with something better (names are hard!). I don't have much to show with it being so early into the month and having been busy with work the past two days, but I figure leaving it later than March 3rd to start a thread is probably a bit too long... orz

deadbeat is a short VN about four housemates who are reaching the end of their flat's lease, and subsequently the end of their time living together. With no rent money due at the end of the month, they have a fair amount of money lying around to throw a party to commemorate the event, and the game takes place on the night of this party.

The story covers themes of alcohol usage, depersonalisation, feeling without purpose, the ending of friendships, and the feeling of impending doom that comes with knowing there's an exact date you and your friends move out and go your separate ways... that is if I can write it good at all. Writing isn't really a skill I've practised too much so we'll see if I can actually write a thing that's good!!

Oh and also, it probably won't end up being as depressing as that synopsis makes it sound - in part because the art style is not serious at all and it features very cartoony looking characters. I think I'll properly introduce them when I have nicer art to showcase later in the month, but for now here are some very rough first sketches (designs are subject to change as the month goes on):

Image Image Image Image

And that's it for now! Sorry it's so sparse, but I hope I'll have more to show soon. Thanks for checking out my NaNoRenO project!! :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: deadbeat [friendship / slice of life] [nano 17]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I like the idea so far! Goodbyes are hard, but they almost always have a hopeful undertone, so I'm interested in seeing how you convert that.

Is there one point-of-view character or are there multiple?

(Off-topic, but there are a lot of friendship-themed VNs as oppose to romance ones this NaNo. I'm interested to see what comes of this new trend. ^_^)

M0ti
Regular

#3 Post by M0ti »

Your game is also about party? What a coincidence!
Once I also had to leave our flat with everyone else but it was so sudden and hectic. Everyone was out in 24 hours, running like rats before earthquake so there was no space for proper saying goodbye. Your story sounds like good end so I' looking forward to playing it. :)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#4 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

This took my interest! I love that the story will revolve around friendship, will be looking out for updates from you. Good luck for the project!

abbeykurae
Tumblr: abbeykurae
itch: abbeykurae

#5 Post by abbeykurae »

Hey there all, sorry about basically just disappearing on this project! Unfortunately some personal stuff happened to me this month making focusing on this project really hard, and in tandem with that - turns out making a VN is actually just quite hard generally, who would have guessed! Rewriting your story plan three or four times somehow doesn't really seem to help with actually getting the story itself written...

So yeah I'm really far behind, but I'm going to try and psyche myself up to try and get this finished anyway!! Even if I'm not entirely happy with the iteration of the story plan I have now, in the spirit of NaNo and actually getting things done, I'm not allowing myself to change it anymore and I'm actually going to go ahead with writing. Also, I'm going to get back to working on sprites and the like today so I'll actually have some tangible progress I can show here, because that's probably something people would like to see, rather than just me rambling on like I am now.

Also, a long overdue reply to the comments here (sorry about that...): Thank you YuukiCrossPudding, M0ti, and Zelan for your encouragement! The story is from the one point of view of the main character Renée, and with any luck I'll finish her sprite today and be able to talk a bit about her character in my next post here. :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

abbeykurae wrote:Hey there all, sorry about basically just disappearing on this project! Unfortunately some personal stuff happened to me this month making focusing on this project really hard, and in tandem with that - turns out making a VN is actually just quite hard generally, who would have guessed! Rewriting your story plan three or four times somehow doesn't really seem to help with actually getting the story itself written...

So yeah I'm really far behind, but I'm going to try and psyche myself up to try and get this finished anyway!! Even if I'm not entirely happy with the iteration of the story plan I have now, in the spirit of NaNo and actually getting things done, I'm not allowing myself to change it anymore and I'm actually going to go ahead with writing. Also, I'm going to get back to working on sprites and the like today so I'll actually have some tangible progress I can show here, because that's probably something people would like to see, rather than just me rambling on like I am now.

Also, a long overdue reply to the comments here (sorry about that...): Thank you YuukiCrossPudding, M0ti, and Zelan for your encouragement! The story is from the one point of view of the main character Renée, and with any luck I'll finish her sprite today and be able to talk a bit about her character in my next post here. :D
Aww, I'm sorry to hear about real life bogging you down. :c I'm glad you're still working on it, though! Good luck!