Straight Up : Sister-zoned [GxB][Romance][Nano'17][COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Straight Up : Sister-zoned [GxB][Romance][Nano'17][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by Sayumi101 »

Genre- Romance, Failed comedy, Drama, Slice of Life.

Shuna is the privileged heiress of a ridiculously rich family. What she lacked in attention, her parents made up with money. LOADS of it.
The only person who didn't always treat her like some soon-to-melt snowflake was Atsuya, the "nii-san" who lives acrossthe street...
At first, she followed him everywhere out of admiration... which as they grew up, turned into a one-sided adoration.

There's this one LITTLE problem though: He sees her as a little sister... nothing more, nothing less...
Oh, but she'd wait this out! He'd soon realize her worth as a potential love interest. If not today, maybe in a decade or two?

However, when she gets wind that her parents are announcing her engagement on her 18th birthday, she decides to actively pursue this fake older brother of hers.
Will she steal his heart away? Or will she stay the 'little sister' character and concede to fate?
You decide!~
Characters:
GUIagain, might be changed. >.<
jhbhbhbjb.png

Screenhots:

A/N: This time's NaNo project is a light-hearted sort of shoujo-ish thing. Teaming up with wingzofdarkness this year, who plays colorist and has fearlessly taken over the CG making!

Progress:
Sprites: 2/2 done
Silhouettes: 3/3 done
CGs: 2/2 done
GUI: Complete
Script: 80-ish % Getting there. ^^(Coding remains)
Logo: Done.

Questionnaire
1. How weird is the title on a scale of chimpanzees making art to flying pigs? (Basically, is it too ridiculous?) Alternate suggestions welcomed with open arms and free-falling tears.
2. What would you expect/like to see and what especially would make you roll your eyes when it comes to a run of the mill, childhood romance since it's been done like SO MANY times before.
3. Would you still play said game despite the slice of life setting and cliche concept?
4. Tentative title screen. Yaaay or Naaay?
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: Straight Up: Sisterzoned[GxB][Romance][SliceofLife][Nano

#2 Post by Alcor »

Oh hey! It's great to see that you're doing NaNo again this year~

The premise sounds wonderful, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with it! Also I really enjoy both you and wingz's art, so I'm sure this will look great! (The main menu is adorable, by the way :D)

Good luck!

Sayumi101
Veteran

#3 Post by Sayumi101 »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Oh hey! It's great to see that you're doing NaNo again this year~

The premise sounds wonderful, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with it! Also I really enjoy both you and wingz's art, so I'm sure this will look great! (The main menu is adorable, by the way :D)

Good luck!
Heylo! Hopefully this year works out better. XD
This pairing is actually one of the routes of a multi-branched otogame I had an idea for. But for simplicity's sake, settled to making this a stand alone. That might explain why things seem vague. No? Welp. Cant help it now.
Haha, you always give me faith - being one of the few, if not the only one who comments on the GUI bits. ^^;
Will definitely be giving it our all! -insert determined pose here-
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#4 Post by Sayumi101 »

Update: Character Profiles and Questionnaire UP!!!
ImageImageImage

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#5 Post by Agashi »

Hello! Just wanted to pop in and offer some support! I've seen your project threads floating around for a couple years now and they always look adorable! Not sure why I haven't commented before now, but I beg the excuse that I don't typically go looking for slice of life genre VNs... They tend to just fall into my lap, haha. :lol:

1. How weird is the title on a scale of chimpanzees making art to flying pigs? (Basically, is it too ridiculous?) Alternate suggestions welcomed with open arms and free-falling tears.
Haha. It sounds maybe a touch too... western-sounding for a premise revolving around notice-me-senpai (and sister complex?) tropes? My suggestion would be to drop the "Straight Up" and just call it "Sisterzoned." And if the latter lacks the emphasis that you're going for, you could always add a ? or even a ?! to the end. Still fun; still could be cute with the right logo. :mrgreen: Definitely just a suggestion though! Go with what feels right!

2. What would you expect/like to see and what especially would make you roll your eyes when it comes to a run of the mill, childhood romance since it's been done like SO MANY times before.
I'm really torn about the idea of MC possibly having to compete with other women for Atsuya's attention. On the one hand, it's a refreshing idea and I'd like to see how it plays off the MC's vanity and spoiled manner of always getting what she wants, but one the other hand... well, she's supposed to be "me" right? I don't like competition. :lol: I guess it'll come down to execution?... TBH, if it's funny, I'll probably go for it either way! The only run-of-the-mill stuff that I wouldn't want to see revolve around Atsuya being a different kind of character, so I think you're already in the clear...

3. Would you still play said game despite the slice of life setting and cliche concept?
You know what? Yes. I'm liking this story the more I speculate on it... I'm very curious what direction you'll take it in. :mrgreen:

Yay! Love it! It's ridiculously adorable and I think it fits the girly, naive, and sheltered protagonist perfectly!

Good luck on this! Looking forward to it!
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

Sayumi101
Veteran

#6 Post by Sayumi101 »

Agashi wrote:...
Haha, the dreaded curse of the Slice of Life genre! <--- jk, I can understand where you're coming from. ^^

To be honest, that was what I was originally going with and then it was like, maybe it's too simple. It's already a generic concept so would just one word actually pull people in... >.< I think I'll leave the decision for when the logo is finalized, as you said. Because depending on design it could be unnecessarily too cramped.
I see, I see. Competition might seem like a downer at first glance, huh? Never thought of it that way. She's so self confident, it felt like she needed a counter balance of some kind. The rival will be a faceless silhouette, though, so you know she poses no real threat... or does she? Kidding aside, will definitely try and not make things too overbearing.
Awww, you make my noob graphic artist self gush.
Much thanks for dropping by and presenting your input!!~

-----------------
Update: MC sprite coloured version: UP
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#7 Post by Sayumi101 »

Update: GUI up and sprites having undergone a little bit of a revamp.

Progress:
Sprites: 2/2 done
Silhouettes: 3/3 done
CGs: 1/2
GUI: Complete
Script and Coding: 20-ish % Getting there. ^^
Logo: In the works.
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

Re: Straight Up : Sister-zoned [GxB][Romance][Drama][Nano'1

#8 Post by Sayumi101 »

Double Posting, Triple posting. Story of this thread, lol.
Anywho, logo, customized textbox and... screenshots (?) : UP

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

The screenshots are looking great! Nice job so far. ^_^

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

1. How weird is the title on a scale of chimpanzees making art to flying pigs? (Basically, is it too ridiculous?)
In all honestly, this ridiculous title caught my eye! I'm not too good with titles either and they end up pretty cheesy, but I try to use that to my advantage and I feel you certainly have! I did have a slight worry it'd be incest admittedly... but I loved your work with Pastel Rain and was pleased upon reading this description it wasn't~

Personally, I LOVE childhood romances despite it being done a lot, because I feel that type of relationship is one of the most organic. But yeah, there could be certain things within the scenario that would make me eye roll or even dislike it, but from your description and awesome character descriptions, I think not. One thing I like best is how you're essentially making a "little sister" character, without there being any blood or adoption involved since that always weirds me out, haha. I can only see good things come from this! Plus it almost seems like this story is a bit of a satire to the genre. I'm sure there will be moments it takes itself seriously, but I also feel it will run with cliches and tropes for the sheer FUN of it (and I eat that combination up!)

I wouldn't be replying otherwise~

Title screens mean nothing to me. The visual novel in action does <3
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#11 Post by wingzofdarkness »

I'm so excited for this game as I know you put a lot of work into this! And all by yourself! :"D

Questions:
To be honest, I really like it. It gives off a goofy feel so I'd assume there will be a lot of comedy going on.

I think anything childhood related can be a little cliche? But that's just my opinion. I do it for the interaction so if the conversations are good then the cliche should not be a problem.

Yes! xD

It is interesting. I am wondering if it has a significance?

Here is a CG teaser, btw. You'd have to play the actual game to see the full unblurred version >_<
(I hope this is okay to put up)

Sayumi101
Veteran

Re: Straight Up : Sister-zoned [GxB][Romance][NaNo17][COMPLE

#12 Post by Sayumi101 »

After the very last push. This project is complete and has officially been released!!!

You can download it here
https://sayumi101.itch.io/straight-up-sister-zoned

The lemmasoft complete thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43351

Still in shock that the deadline was met!
Thank you for all the support, everyone! (Esp, my awesomely awesome helpers wingzofdarkness and Godline) You people are the real MVPs!
ImageImageImage