Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17][Complete]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
PB&Jelly
Projects: Corona Borealis, Never Forget Me (Writer)

Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17][Complete]

#1 Post by PB&Jelly »

> Download <

Synopsis

When four high school students go missing after exploring a local haunt spot, Mythology teacher Thalia senses that supernatural forces are the real cause of the disappearance. Too busy (or perhaps lazy) to investigate herself, she bribes her apathetic TA to examine the scene for clues. Lucas approaches the task with his usual sluggish indifference, but even he is astounded by what he uncovers.

Characters

Features

> Kinetic gameplay <
> 1280x720 resolution <
> Full English voice acting <
> Complete playthrough in ~15 minutes <

Credits

I'm using free assets for this game, released under the CC BY-NC 3.0 license.

GUI - potouto
Sprites - Shida
Music - Kevin MacLeod
Writing - PB&Jelly
Programming - PB&Jelly
Male Voices - James Cheek
Female Voices - Jill Harris

Screenshots

Image Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by PB&Jelly on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

Re: Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17]

#2 Post by Avior »

This looks cool! I love mythology, and that protagonist seems super relatable, haha. I'm interested to see where this goes!
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Ha, I adore your characters! This seems cool even with the limited information. Good luck! ^_^

Kagiprojects
Completed: Genjitsukai
Projects: Secrets, Trembling Roses
Organization: KagiProjects
Tumblr: kagiprojects
itch: kagiprojects

#4 Post by Kagiprojects »

I'm very interested in seeing this project come to live. I have to mention that Thalia is gorgeous! Good luck : )

PB&Jelly

#5 Post by PB&Jelly »

Avior wrote:This looks cool! I love mythology, and that protagonist seems super relatable, haha.
Thanks! Lucas is me on a bad day x10. I'm glad (and also sorry) that you can relate.
Zelan wrote:Ha, I adore your characters!
Haha, thanks! Character creation is my favorite part of the writing process. =D
Kagiprojects wrote:I have to mention that Thalia is gorgeous!
I think so, too! Shida's sprites are the bomb.
---
As for the game's progress, I've completed the script, added the sprites/expressions, and plugged in the GUI and gotten that all working. I'm currently feeling the sting of "I want to add this feature, but I can't figure out how to get it to work". I've worked on the script and done simple coding for other visual novels, but this is my first time tackling the complex elements of VN design. '>_<

Below are a few screenshots (aka proof that I'm not totally incompetent). It was impossible to pick ones that were both interesting and without spoilers. Sorry.

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#6 Post by Avior »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with some of the features! Ren'py programming is something you get better at with time, but like all programming, it wants to fight no matter what. :lol: Hopefully there's some people on the forums who can help you out?

The screenshots are looking really good! Meanwhile, I'm super impressed you've already got the script done! :o It sounds like you're almost finished... or do you have a lot of stuff you still want to add?
Image Image

PB&Jelly

#7 Post by PB&Jelly »

Avior wrote:The screenshots are looking really good! Meanwhile, I'm super impressed you've already got the script done! :o It sounds like you're almost finished... or do you have a lot of stuff you still want to add?
Thanks! And the script is very short (around 2,500 words), so it's really not that big of an accomplishment. ^^' It's a very unambitious project.
---
Last week kicked my butt, so I wasn't able to work on IC as much as I would have liked, but I did add a credits screen, all of the SFX, and a flashlight effect to the opening scene. Watch a video of it here. (The "???" are a group of teens. It's confusing now, but I'm going to add voice acting so you can differentiate between them.)

Speaking of voice acting, my friend is going to provide all of the male voices while I tackle the female voices. Don't worry--I'll add a feature so you can turn them off if English VO irks you. If you want a preview of the protagonist's voice, listen to some of my friend's bloopers here.

After I record and add my lines, all that should be left is adding BG music and then play-testing stuffs. Yay.

PB&Jelly

#8 Post by PB&Jelly »

So... I think I'm done. However, I'm going to give myself these next few days to ruminate and add any last minute changes I can think of.

In the meantime, enjoy this video featuring the first few minutes of gameplay! If you have any constructive criticism or you notice spelling errors, please feel free to comment.

PB&Jelly

Re: Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17][Complete

#9 Post by PB&Jelly »

Is it too late to rewrite the entire script? Yes? Well, I guess I'll just have to release it as-is then.

> Insatiable Creatures itch.io page <

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Insatiable Creatures [Kinetic Thriller][NaNo17][Complete

#10 Post by Zelan »

Yay, congrats! I'm gonna be super busy for the rest of the month but I will hopefully be able to play it in April. ^_^