My Magical Divorce Bureau!! [Comedy|Fantasy|Romance]RELEASED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

My Magical Divorce Bureau!! [Comedy|Fantasy|Romance]RELEASED

#1 Post by Googaboga »

✰✰✰✰✰
Rating: Teen (for swearing)

In this magical, wonderful, and ridiculous world, all marriages are considered valid, including ones where one party was forced into it. For some reason.

Because of this quirk in the law, kidnapping important people and making them marry you is a common occurrence. So much so that a special bureau was created specifically to help couples formed under such circumstances get through the paperwork needed to officially divorce. You work there!

And you just can't seem to get your nose out of everyone's business. You've seen enough villains and victims come through this office to know that there is often more to the story than what's on the surface. You believe in your heart of hearts that some of these odd couples could definitely end on better terms if they simply communicated better. That is your daily quest, and today is no different. You've got three pairs scheduled to come in, and you intend to help them work through more than just an obnoxiously large amount of paperwork.

MMDB features three different villains and three different victims. The three villain/victim pairings that come into your office are randomly determined at the start of the game. Each of the nine possible pairings has it’s own unique story and dynamic.
From left to right...
JESKA // Jeksa is an elf who has dedicated her life to studying the art of witchcraft. She has crossed a great deal of lines in her pursuit of knowledge. That’s fine with her. Jeska likes to give the impression that she is smarter than most by using unnecessarily large words. It doesn’t usually work. Despite her inability to come across as a threat through words, her actual abilities are no joke. She seems to be a witch who’s got it all.

NERIUM // The young and dastardly dryad Nerium unabashedly considers himself a bad guy and feels no shame in all the wrongdoing he commits. He only desires the most amazing of things. According to himself, at least. If someone as fantastic as him has deemed it worthy to have, it must be fantastic by default. Nerium has a massive amount of natural power and that is what’s gotten him this far. It’s definitely not any talent for thinking things through.

LEXIS // Lexis is not exactly the usual suspect. She is a stone guardian that was created by a now defunct secret society. With everyone she once protected dead or scattered across the land, Lexis was left behind to just do whatever, they guess. Apparently kidnapping people is what she decided on? Lexis is oblivious when it comes to most social interactions and doesn’t seem to realize how serious the situation is.
From left to right...
PO // Po is a deeply emotional creature with a “delicate constitution” (as in, it tends to faint a lot). It only reacts to situations in extreme ways, whether or not such a strong response is really needed. Being the spawn of its tribe’s current chief and a very attractive individual, Po has a never ending amount of suitors. This overabundance of attention has turned Po off from the concept of relationships. It'd take something pretty special to impress it.

LILLUM // The demoness Lillum is one of the baddest bitches in town with an array of lesser demon minions. She’s hot-headed, impatient, and not terribly easy to cooperate with. She’s used to making all decisions herself. Lillum prefers to play by the rules, but still has the heart of a villain. As far as she’s concerned, kidnapping people? Not a problem. Choosing kidnap her and making her go through this hassle? That’s a problem.

BAIRD // Baird is a werewolf of many talents. He’s not only the alpha of his pack but a proud business owner as well. He credits all his success to the fact that he has two very distinct personalities. His levelheaded humanoid self and his brutal, aggressive wolf self. Yet another impressive quality is that Baird can swap between his forms at will. The only problem with that is the fact that it’s a bit of a challenge to convince the wolf side of him to switch back.

Script & Programming by Googaboga
Character Design & Sprites by SilverHyena
Chibis by Koete Hoshi
Backgrounds by DarkSin
Logo & GUI Design, Additional Programming by Jujube
Music by TyberAlyx
Blinking Effect by Sabrina Schewe

-What do you think of the concept?
-Which character sounds the best so far?
-Is there any pairing in particular you’re looking forward to?
The background in the screenshots is a stand-in for now.
And that's everything, for now. I'll update this post as more stuff comes along. We'll do our best to release a fun little game for all to enjoy. And good luck to everyone else doing Nano!
Last edited by Googaboga on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

Re: My Magical Divorce Bureau!! [Comedy|Fantasy|Romance] NaN

#2 Post by Avior »

What do you think of the concept?
This is a pretty unique concept; I'm definitely interested in the random pairing mechanic. There's potentially a lot of interesting dynamics and replay value there!

Which character sounds the best so far?
I think I'm most interested in Po and Nerium!

Is there any pairing in particular you’re looking forward to?
Nerium/Po. :'D
Lexis/Po and Jeska/Lillium would definitely be interesting combos, too.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with this!
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

It's fantastic. I saw it on the recruitment board and I thought it was just the greatest.

Po is just adorable, I love it. I also like Jeska - I can relate with trying to use big words to sound Smart™.

Nerium and Lillum! Their personalities seem like they would clash very much with one another. Plus their color schemes match! ^_^

Kagiprojects
Completed: Genjitsukai
Projects: Secrets, Trembling Roses
Organization: KagiProjects
Tumblr: kagiprojects
itch: kagiprojects

#4 Post by Kagiprojects »

Ohmy, this story seems so unique and fun! Especially the fact that it gets randomnised.
I'm honestly liking all the characters, but especially ... Jeska, Nerium and Lillum. Po is so cute by the way!

As for the pairings...
once again; all of them. However if I had to choose I'm very interested in Nerium/Lillum, Nerium/Po and Jeska/Lillum.

Good luck with this project! I'm definitely looking forward to the finished product.

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#5 Post by Glitterbark »

it's hilarious i love it

Um, isn't it obvious that Po is the top tier waifu? Like, why would you even ask this question when the answer is staring you in the face? Look at it. Look at Po.

i'm deeply invested in the concept of Lexis and Po and actually want them to find happiness and fulfillment in each other.

please i want to play this so bad.
WIP: Image

Plueschkatze
Regular
Tumblr: Plueschkatzeart
Deviantart: Plueschkatze
itch: Plueschkatze

#6 Post by Plueschkatze »

Sounds like a fun idea to me! I'll check this out once it's done and for now... I'll keep an eye on this thread.
And I really love Nerium's design. :)
Social Media:
Twitter | Itch.io | Patreon

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#7 Post by Alcor »

This sounds amazing!

Definitely sounds interesting! The randomized aspect will make replays a lot of fun as well. And a divorce bureau instead of a matchmaking one? Sign me up!

I just really love Po--design, personality and all.

Lexis/Po, to be honest. I'm curious what the relationship dynamic there would be (and if it works out, they could be a really cute couple--probably!)

Good luck! :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Googaboga »

Thank you guys for all the support :mrgreen:.

I must say, it's not unexpected to see that the charm of Po has won over most. It just cannot help but draw others to it. We all have a cross to bare. But seriously, SilverHyena did a stellar job designing all these quirky non-humans.

I'm not super great at making things adorable, but I'm really gonna try to make the best conclusion for the couples fun and nice so everyone can go 'yay!' for the couples like >v<.

And also, I've been doing the routes by villain and the one I chose to do first is Nerium. Since people also seem to like him, have a quote. It's first draft and not proofread, but whatever. This is Nanoreno, you gotta live dangerously.
Nerium “It was as though a there was a bud with tightly folded petals. Without warning it was struck with a brand new stimulation that caused the petals to swiftly spiral open and outward. And then, on top of that, the newly bloomed flower spewed an absolutely noxious, deadly plume of spores into the air. But as opposed to being in reality, it was in my heart. The feeling was something akin to that.”

That's how he describes love at first sight.
In-Progress:
Released:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

Googaboga wrote:I'm not super great at making things adorable, but I'm really gonna try to make the best conclusion for the couples fun and nice so everyone can go 'yay!' for the couples like >v<.
You lie. A Foretold Affair is adorable my dude.
“It was as though a there was a bud with tightly folded petals. Without warning it was struck with a brand new stimulation that caused the petals to swiftly spiral open and outward. And then, on top of that, the newly bloomed flower spewed an absolutely noxious, deadly plume of spores into the air. But as opposed to being in reality, it was in my heart. The feeling was something akin to that.”

That's how he describes love at first sight.
I changed my mind, I don't want to see him with Lillum. I want him for me instead. That metaphor is just on point.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#10 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Thoughts on concept?

I never realized how much I wanted this kind of vn until now. Please, please be one of the nanos that manage to finish.

Pretty please?

Best character?

By demand it appears to be Po. Who can deny Po? No one. So squishy.

Pairing I look forward to most?

Everyone/Po. Everyone, victims included. (Yes I know it won't happen, but it's PO.)
ImageImageImageImage

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Googaboga »

@Zelan
Aaw, thanks <3.

Haha, yeah. If he wasn't so dangerous some other villain might've snapped him up with how endearing he can be.

@Sunlit-Dreamer
We're gonna give it our all to get it done in the time frame. And most of us have agreed to finish our parts even if we have to continue working into April. So the game should get finished one way or another c:.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Today I'm gonna be wrapping up the first draft of the Nerium/Po route (it's about halfway done right now). Once I do, all the Nerium first drafts will be finished and I'll move on to doing the Lexis routes! And, of course, I couldn't work on something Po related and not share a quote from it.
Po “We met in a garden and you are a walking garden. I have never in my life met someone who was more of a 'garden variety' suitor.”
In-Progress:
Released:

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#12 Post by Allegra Hughes »

1. What do you think of the concept?
I really like this idea a lot! In fact, I wish I was part of this NaNoRen hahahaha ;-; I think you guys came up with a really cool unique concept. And it doesn't feel like any of the characters are horrible either! I love this random factor, you can totally replay the game a lot and it will still be interesting! Def subscribing :)

2. Which character sounds the best so far?
I'm really digging Lillum but I think that's because I a. love bitchy characters b. love hot headed characters and c. love her concept art <3333

3. Is there any pairing in particular you’re looking forward to?
OMG I NEED TO GET JESKA AND LILLUM they would be such a dynamic pair. Super excited!!!!!!

greenacedesu

#13 Post by greenacedesu »

Oh I really like the concept of the game and the character design too, looking forwards for more updates
Image Image Image

Xand
Regular

#14 Post by Xand »

Good luck with a project!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Googaboga »

Thank you! It's great to see that people are looking forward to the game :D.

The character sketches in the first post have been replaced with clean versions. And the first drafts for all the Nerium routes were finished yesterday.
In-Progress:
Released: