NOTES [GxB] [Suspense|Romance|Horror] [NaNo17] [DEMO UP]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Monochrome.Cherry
Regular
Projects: mirroreD≒dREAMS ~Alternate~, NOTES
Tumblr: magicalstarrycarnival
Deviantart: silky-starry-heart
itch: MonochromeCherry

NOTES [GxB] [Suspense|Romance|Horror] [NaNo17] [DEMO UP]

#1 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

-------
Genre: Suspense, Drama, Romance, Comedy (?), Horror

Synopsis:
-------
Being dragged to a place against your will sounds dangerous, doesn't it...?
But when it's a trip to the local mall and your parents forced you to come along? Of course, Heidi didn't think of it as 'dangerous', only *really* irritating.
That is, until she kept coming across cryptic notes that seemed to be talking to her. And just who is this guy that decided to poke his nose in her business?!

Little did Heidi know that this seemingly simple trip to the mall would turn into the worst experience of her life...

-ClIcK HeRE to PlAY

(Please be advised that the game hasn't been beta-tested! The only tests its gotten is me replaying it, so hopefully it works!

DEMO INFO:
The Demo features 3 Endings:
1 Bad
1 Good
1 Neutral

CREDITS:
Writing/Story/Art: Monochrome.Cherry
Music: Royalty Free (Kevin MacLeod https://incompetech.com/)

(Also this is my first attempt at making/releasing anything so I would really appreciate any feedback! Thank you so much in advance! :oops: )

Characters:
-------

Heidi:
A vain and somewhat narcissistic young woman, Heidi's main concern in life is looking beautiful and getting what she desires. Due to her childish and spoiled nature, she frequently treats people as if they were her servants and never (seems) to appreciate what they do for her. However, a kinder person lies deep down, even though she has trouble showing it.

Full body image: http://sta.sh/023ldnfxzrj5

Ace:
A good looking young man. Slightly stand off-ish and sarcastic, he's someone who says exactly what's on his mind. His no-nonsense attitude and somewhat crude way of speaking makes him clash with others, which sometimes hinders his talent in observation. He is often seen at many different places throughout the mall, though no one is sure why that is.

Full body image: http://sta.sh/07rxlvnpm0c

Progress:
-------
Story: 90%
Script: 0%
Art: 1%
GUI: 0%

Questions:
-------
1.) Despite the simple sounding story, is there anything that caught your attention?
2.) What are your thoughts on the characters' designs and/or personalities? Are they appealing/interesting to you?
3.) Any other feedback/comments?

-------
Creator's Notes (no pun intended :lol: ) :

Thank you so much for taking the time to check out my game! It's my very first time participating in NaNoReNo, so I'm looking forward to finally taking part in this and seeing everyone's wonderful projects!

I'm actually planning for this to be a super short game (mostly as a warm-up for my main series -mirroreD dREAMS-) but I'll try my best on it and hope I'll be done by the end of the month. More info will be added as I finish it.~ Good luck to everyone participating in NaNoReNo!

Sprite Previews!
CG and BG Previews!
Attachments
sprite copy.png
Last edited by Monochrome.Cherry on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

Re: NOTES [GxB] [Suspense|Romance|Horror] [NaNo17]

#2 Post by Allegra Hughes »

1.) Despite the simple sounding story, is there anything that caught your attention?
I liked the way the synopsis was phrased. It definitely caught my attention.

2.) What are your thoughts on the characters' designs and/or personalities? Are they appealing/interesting to you?
First of all, loving the character art! I actually find it interesting that the MC has a narcissistic personality considering her kind of cute appearance. Ace seems mysterious, as I'd assume, which is good!

Kind of just very intrigued and curious about the horror part of this game, considering there's not much info on it :)

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#3 Post by Desichan »

1. I find it interesting, leaves a lot to be imagined, as people won't quite know what to expect. I love twists, and going into stories blind, so I can't wait to check this out!
2. I love characters like Heidi, and Ash seems fun as well! I think they'll be neat to see in action! I also love Heidi's clothing, they're really cute!
3. I don't think there's enough here, for me to figure out much feedback, but that mystery definitely is a great appeal. I can't wait to play, do your best!

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#4 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Allegra Hughes wrote:1.) Despite the simple sounding story, is there anything that caught your attention?
I liked the way the synopsis was phrased. It definitely caught my attention.

First of all, loving the character art! I actually find it interesting that the MC has a narcissistic personality considering her kind of cute appearance. Ace seems mysterious, as I'd assume, which is good!

Kind of just very intrigued and curious about the horror part of this game, considering there's not much info on it :)
Thank you so much for your comment!
Haha! For the MC's appearance, I really did try to make it the opposite of her personality, so I tried to make her design resemble that of a heroine from a shoujo manga so the contrast could give her character a little kick! :lol:
Yep! The horror part will be showing itself throughout the game though like with Heidi's design, the whole style of the way the characters are drawn is kind of ( I don't know if I should say misleading?) in regards to the "horror" feel/plot of the game. I hope to update the opening post soon to give a better feel of this. Thank you so much again for taking an interest in my game!
Desichan wrote:1. I find it interesting, leaves a lot to be imagined, as people won't quite know what to expect. I love twists, and going into stories blind, so I can't wait to check this out!
2. I love characters like Heidi, and Ash seems fun as well! I think they'll be neat to see in action! I also love Heidi's clothing, they're really cute!
3. I don't think there's enough here, for me to figure out much feedback, but that mystery definitely is a great appeal. I can't wait to play, do your best!
Thank you very much for your comment!
Indeed! Since I purposely went for a different style than one would expect from a horror story, I do hope that the horror twist would be a good match for it! :lol:
It makes me glad to hear that about Heidi since I really thought that her personality would put people off, but it makes me super happy to know that isn't the case! And thank you so much! Designing Heidi's clothes was something I really enjoyed~!
And thank you so much, I'll certainly try my best to make this fun story!
Image Image

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#5 Post by Sonomi »

Yes. I am wondering how in the world you're going to weave horror into this thing. ^ ^; There's just the right touch of mystery shrouding the story to catch my interest. Looking forward to jump scares or whatever you wind up throwing at me. I'll just be sure to read it in a well-lit room for good measure?

The designs are nice. You really can't go wrong with bows; they tend to make everything adorable. I'm interested in the MC's personality in particular because she strikes me as someone who's going to be fairly assertive if I'm not mistaken.

You said this is your first time doing NaNoRenO. Keep up the good work!

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#6 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Sonomi wrote:1.) Despite the simple sounding story, is there anything that caught your attention?

Yes. I am wondering how in the world you're going to weave horror into this thing. ^ ^; There's just the right touch of mystery shrouding the story to catch my interest. Looking forward to jump scares or whatever you wind up throwing at me. I'll just be sure to read it in a well-lit room for good measure?

The designs are nice. You really can't go wrong with bows; they tend to make everything adorable. I'm interested in the MC's personality in particular because she strikes me as someone who's going to be fairly assertive if I'm not mistaken.

You said this is your first time doing NaNoRenO. Keep up the good work!
I'm so sorry for the late reply I didn't want to post until I had something to update :oops: ! Thank you so much for your comment!

Haha! Honestly, I'm actually thinking if I should've gone with a slightly "creepy" art style or something so it could resemble a horror story more, lol. Though, I really did want to give off a feeling of 'generic otome styled' characters getting involved in horrible things, of sorts! :lol:

And thank you so much! I really love bows and cute designs in general so I'm super happy Heidi's design is liked~! And indeed! Heidi is the type of girl who wants to get her way no matter what so she's pretty assertive, although somehow I think she's more manipulative than anything, haha!

Thank you again! It's my first NaNoRenO and first project I'll (hopefully) complete in general so I'm hoping everything goes well! :D
Image Image

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#7 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Progress Update:

I've been trying to work on a lot of this game's assets at the same time so the general progress on the script is still pretty slow, but I'd like to think everything else has been going well!

Story: 100%
Script: 3% (Chapters 2/9 Complete!)
Sprites: 70% (Coloring and expressions still need to be added)
CG's: 20% (CG's 7/9 Sketched!)
BG's: 30% (BG's 4/7 Sketched!)
GUI: 0% (Title Screen Sketched!)

Anyways, here's a preview of the (uncolored) sprites!
Attachments
sprite copy.png
Image Image

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#8 Post by Harliqueen »

Like Sonomi, I'm also curious how the horror aspect of it will work into the story :D You're idea of the otome-looking characters getting into creepy situations sounds really different!

I'm loving the look of them! I like the don't-mess-with-me look on Heidi's face.

You seem tobe making great progress, can't wait to see the finished VN :) Good luck with it all!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#9 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Harliqueen wrote:1.) Despite the simple sounding story, is there anything that caught your attention?
Like Sonomi, I'm also curious how the horror aspect of it will work into the story :D You're idea of the otome-looking characters getting into creepy situations sounds really different!

I'm loving the look of them! I like the don't-mess-with-me look on Heidi's face.

You seem tobe making great progress, can't wait to see the finished VN :) Good luck with it all!
Thank you so much for your comment! :D Haha! I'm super glad to hear that! Since I really like both otome games and horror, I just wanted to mix the two genres a bit and honestly it's been really fun ! :lol:

Thank you so much again! I hope to have more updates on the rest of the assets soon as well!
Image Image

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#10 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

I've finished making the sprites for the characters so here are a few samples!

There's still more characters I haven't revealed as they're going to be a surprise in game, however.~ :D

Image Image

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#11 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Well, now that only a few days are left, i don't know if I'll make it since I still have around 7 CG's and 5 BG's left to line and color but well, I'll try my best until the end! :cry:

Anyways, here are some previews of some BG's and CG!
Sorry if the BG's look terrible, this is literally my first time trying to draw some lol :oops:

Image Image

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#12 Post by Desichan »

You're doing super great! Good job working so hard!! But yeah, try your best!
Even if the game is a bit late, like I'm totally gonna play this, I bet it'll turn out amazingly!

(Also I think the bgs are lovely, as well as the rest of the art!)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#13 Post by Zelan »

That CG looks really, really nice! Your lines are so clean. ^_^

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular

#14 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Desichan wrote:You're doing super great! Good job working so hard!! But yeah, try your best!
Even if the game is a bit late, like I'm totally gonna play this, I bet it'll turn out amazingly!

(Also I think the bgs are lovely, as well as the rest of the art!)
Thank you so much! Your support really means a lot to me and it makes me very happy that you'd play this, so thank you again! I'll try my best to deliver a good game, even though it might indeed be a bit late! :oops:
Zelan wrote:That CG looks really, really nice! Your lines are so clean. ^_^
Thank you very much! It makes me super glad to hear that! :D

Well, since there's only one day left for this, I think it's safe to say that I wasn't able to make it in time. :cry:
Would it be too late to change this up into a demo so I could at least (try) to release something by the deadline?
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#15 Post by Zelan »

Demos are always fine to release. ^_^ People will still play it for sure!