NaNo 2017 Games by Genre

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

NaNo 2017 Games by Genre

#1 Post by Zelan »

I was thinking that I felt like there were a loooot more games with the GxB, GxG, and Friendship tags than compared to last NaNo, so originally I was just counting those tags. Then I ended up listing all of the tags for ALL of the games, just because I could. Then I got too tired of it to count up all of the NaNo 16 games, so instead of a comparison I ended up making a master list for 2017.

Most of these are listed under tags that have been pretty much directly stated by the developers; at the very least it's been heavily, heavily implied. However, there were some that I felt could also fall under other tags, so anything that is in italics is something that I've inferred, not the game's official tag. Take those listings with a grain of salt, as they may not be what you were expecting (or even totally incorrect)!

Developers, if I've either listed your game under the wrong tag or I've left off a tag, do give me a poke and a holler and I'll fix it right away. c: If you want to search for a particular tag or game, use Ctrl+F (PC) or Command+F (Mac).

Everything's in alphabetical order! And the numbers at the end of each are (# of games "officially" tagged, total number of games with tag), just for the math.

13+: Monster Seeking H U M A N; My Magical Divorce Bureau!!; The Crossroads (1,3)
16+: The Vampire Hostess (1)
17+: Genjitsukai; Infurubia; Mischievous Lamb (3)
18+: Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart (1)
Adventure: Best Wishes (1)
Angst: Bitter (1)
BxB: Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart; Match Made in Heaven; //TODO: today; To Weave a Thread (3,4)
BxG: Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart; MamoteMi; Pairs; Simulacrum Duorum Graduis ~ Dragonfire; //TODO: today (4,5)
Black & White: 5x12 Unlimited World's End Party (1)
Comedy: 5x12 Unlimited World's End Party; AIRIS; A Question of Normalcy; B.A.T.; Chook & Sosig: A Case of Murder; Lamest of Lame; Love is in Bloom; Match Made in Heaven; Monster Seeking H U M A N; My Magical Divorce Bureau!!; NOTES; Straight Up: Sisterzoned; The Guard and His Post (13)
Dark Fantasy: GIVE IT TIME; What's Your Name? (2)
Dark Humor: Mischievous Lamb (1)
Dating Sim: Monster Seeking H U M A N (1)
Drama: Amaranth; B.A.T.; Infurubia; LAST CALL; Match Made in Heaven; NOTES; ocean of misery; Our Home.; Pairs; sidérea; Summer Paradise Redux; This, My Soul (11,12)
Ecchi: Mischievous Lamb (1)
Eroge: Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart; MamoteMi (0,2)
Fairytale Fantasy: Encanto (1)
Family: False End; LAST CALL; To Weave a Thread (1,3)
Fantasy: 5x12 Unlimited World's End Party; Aetherea; AIRIS; Amaranth; A Night to Remember; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Best Wishes; Bodies of Water; bookSLEEPer; Encanto; False End; Feels Like Falling; Infurubia; Iustitia Ruba; Love Mythos: Origins; MamoteMi; My Magical Divorce Bureau!!; Pairs; Path of Dreamers; Road to Corrosia; Ruins of Ralumnea; sidérea; The Guard and His Post; The Heart of Tales; To Weave a Thread; Wight (23,26)
Friendship: An Encounter ~In The Rain~; a(t)rium; deadbeat; DoraKone! My Sweet Summer Adventure; False End; LAST CALL; Road to Corrosia; sidérea; Where the Sun Always Shines (6,9)
Gameplay: B.A.T.; bookSLEEPer; DADADA Grow; EXERGEON //TODO: today (2,5)
GxB: AIRIS; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; a(t)rium; Best Wishes; bookSLEEPer; Feels Like Falling; Genjitsukai; Hunt of the Unicorn; Monster Seeking H U M A N; NOTES; Pairs; Phantasm; Straight Up: Sisterzoned; Summer Paradise Redux; The Crossroads; The Heart of Tales; This, My Soul; //TODO: today; We Walk Amongst Graves; What's Your Name?; Wishful Thinking (19,21)
GxG: Aetherea; AIRIS; Amaranth; A Night To Remember; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart; bookSLEEPer; DoraKone! My Sweet Summer Adventure; Genjitsukai; Love is in Bloom; Match Made in Heaven; sidérea; The Vampire Hostess; //TODO: today; Transport Troubles (13,15)
GxN: AIRIS (1)
Horror: EXERGEON; NOTES; SPRING-HEELED JACK; The Vampire Hostess; What's Your Name? (4,5)
Interactive: EXERGEON (1)
IntRenAiMo: An Encounter ~In The Rain~; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Stalker&Yandere (2,3)
Kinetic: Insatiable Creatures; Iustitia Ruba; The Guard and His Post; The Vampire Hostess; Transport Troubles (4,5)
Linear: An Encounter ~In The Rain~ (1)
Magic: Wight (1)
Matchmaking: Match Made in Heaven; My Magical Divorce Bureau!! (2)
Modern: A Question of Normalcy; a(t)rium; The Crossroads (3)
Modern Fantasy: Bodies of Water (1)
Mystery: AIRIS; Bodies of Water; Chook and Sosig: A Case of Murder; Hunt of the Unicorn; Phantasm; [Project Alpha]; SPRING-HEELED JACK; We Walk Amongst Graves; Wight (9)
Mythic Fiction: Encanto (1)
NaNo 2016: Infurubia; Match Made in Heaven (2)
Non-binary/Genderless Protagonist: Adamant; Aetherea; Bodies of Water; Chook & Sosig: A Case of Murder; Match Made in Heaven; My Magical Divorce Bureau!!; ocean of misery; //TODO: today; Velvet Moon (7,9)
Otome: AIRIS; bookSLEEPer; Genjitsukai; We Walk Amongst Graves (4)
Parody: Lamest of Lame (1)
PxB: Velvet Moon (1)
Philippines: Summer Paradise Redux (1)
Pixel: DADADA Grow; Velvet Moon (0,2)
Psychological: Adamant; A Question of Normalcy (2)
Puzzle: EXERGEON (1)
Romance: Aetherea; A Night to Remember; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Aphrodisia: Passions of the Heart; A Question of Normalcy; a(t)rium; Best Wishes; DoraKone! My Sweet Summer Adventure; Feels Like Falling; Genjitsukai; Hunt of the Unicorn; Infurubia; Love is in Bloom; Love Mythos: Origins; Monster Seeking H U M A N; My Magical Divorce Bureau!!; NOTES; Our Home.; Pairs; Phantasm; Stalker&Yandere; Straight Up: Sisterzoned; The Crossroads; The Heart of Tales; The Vampire Hostess; This, My Soul; //TODO: today; What's Your Name?; Wishful Thinking (27,29)
Sci-Fi:: AIRIS; Blue Skies - Prologue; False End; ocean of misery; Pairs; sidérea; Simulacrum Duorum Graduis ~ Dragonfire; Theta; This, My Soul; Transport Troubles (9,10)
Shonen-y: DoraKone! My Sweet Summer Adventure (1)
Simulation: B.A.T. (1)
Slice of Life: Amaranth; A Question of Normalcy; a(t)rium; Bitter; deadbeat; DoraKone! My Sweet Summer Adventure; Feels Like Falling; Our Home.; Pairs; Straight Up: Sisterzoned; The Guard and His Post; //TODO: today; Where the Sun Always Shines (13)
Stat-raiser: bookSLEEPer (1)
Story-Driven: Ruins of Ralumnea (1)
Supernatural: Chook & Sosig: A Case of Murder; Insatiable Creatures; Monster Seeking H U M A N; Phantasm; SPRING-HEELED JACK; The Crossroads; The Vampire Hostess; Velvet Moon; Wishful Thinking (7,9)
Survival: Alone in the Dark (1)
Suspense: NOTES (1)
Tamagotchi Style: DADADA Grow (1)
Teen Angst: Match Made in Heaven (1)
Thriller: Adamant; Insatiable Creatures; [Project Alpha]; Theta; We Walk Amongst Graves (5)
Urban Fantasy: Amaranth (1)
Vampire: Genjitsukai; Iustitia Ruba; The Vampire Hostess (2,3)
Yandere: Stalker&Yandere (1)

Untagged: 48h Game; Love Mythos: Origins; Project Sol; Unity

Games(s) with the most tags: AIRIS, //TODO: today, Match Made in Heaven (8 tags)
Game with the least tags: (excluding untagged) Path of Dreamers (1 tag)
Most Popular Tag: Romance (26/28)
Least Popular Tag: Dark Humor (0/1)

Total Number of Games: 74

(I spent far too long on this)
Last edited by Zelan on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: NaNo 2017 Games by Genre

#2 Post by Alcor »

This is actually really handy to have (and it's just amazing that you put this together). Thanks, Zelan! :D

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#3 Post by pyopyon »

This is super awesome! (And it says volumes about your level of absolute maximum patience XD)

I appreciate it! ^^
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#4 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I actually did forget to put Dark Fantasy in the tags. (Was going to add it later, which slipped my mind again haha.)

So yes, that's correct. =P

Awesome work Zelan. =D
ImageImageImageImage

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#5 Post by pinto minto »

Wow this is really interesting! Thanks for doing this! I did notice that there were a lot more GxG and Friendship tags than last years as well, which I'm not complaining about at all! I'm actually super happy about that.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#6 Post by Mammon »

Wow, that must've taken some effort and patience. Great work!
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#7 Post by Amy_oai »

Good stuff Zelan! Maybe one of the mods can sticky this?
Image Image Image Image

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Stickied for the duration of the dev period. Something like this would be great for when it's over.

What's the count of projects. Either it's missing, or I'm too tired to find it, and it would be nice to have that so I can get a feel for what fraction of games have each tag.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#9 Post by Amy_oai »

Right now, there are 60 new threads, and 1 rebooted old thread from last year, so 61 total projects for this year.
Image Image Image Image

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Wow, that must have taken you awhile! This is a really handy list~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#11 Post by Hazel »

Wow! I gotta say, the number of non-gendered or nonbinary characters is really pretty encouraging.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Zelan »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:I actually did forget to put Dark Fantasy in the tags. (Was going to add it later, which slipped my mind again haha.)

So yes, that's correct. =P

Awesome work Zelan. =D
No problem! ^_^ I remembered you mentioning it in the thread, but since it was never officially changed, I didn't want to put it down definitively. Fixed now!
pinto minto wrote:Wow this is really interesting! Thanks for doing this! I did notice that there were a lot more GxG and Friendship tags than last years as well, which I'm not complaining about at all! I'm actually super happy about that.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool! Though I realized when I was done that I had overestimated how many "Friendship" games there were - I thought I remembered, like, fifteen. Still, a minimum of six is great!
PyTom wrote:Stickied for the duration of the dev period. Something like this would be great for when it's over.

What's the count of projects. Either it's missing, or I'm too tired to find it, and it would be nice to have that so I can get a feel for what fraction of games have each tag.
When you say "when it's over," do you mean only the finished projects? I could probably do that, although it might take me some time. Although, actually, I think Alte might have that covered with their thread? It's in alphabetical order instead of by genre, but you could still easily search a tag that you wanted.

Ah, sorry about that! I did mean to count the games up but it must have slipped my mind. The total's up there now, Amy_oai got it.
Amy_oai wrote:Right now, there are 60 new threads, and 1 rebooted old thread from last year, so 61 total projects for this year.
Thank you so much for counting!
Hazel wrote:Wow! I gotta say, the number of non-gendered or nonbinary characters is really pretty encouraging.
I thought so, too. c: Chook and Sosig: A Case of Murder also has a non-binary character, but since it isn't romance and I'm not sure if Sosig is the protagonist, it didn't fall under "AnythingxN" or "Non-binary/Genderless Protagonist" (although maybe I'll end up adding it in italics).

@Everyone else who wasn't quoted: Thank you all for the compliments! ^_^ It did take pretty much alllll of my patience, haha.

Kagiprojects
Completed: Genjitsukai
Projects: Secrets, Trembling Roses
Organization: KagiProjects
Tumblr: kagiprojects
itch: kagiprojects

#13 Post by Kagiprojects »

Oh, this is super cool! Thank you for going through the trouble of putting this together.
We haven't added it to our page yet, but Genjitsukai is probably going to fall under the 17+ tag, too (for mild nudity and sexual innuendo)
Current projects:

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Zelan »

Kagiprojects wrote:Oh, this is super cool! Thank you for going through the trouble of putting this together.
We haven't added it to our page yet, but Genjitsukai is probably going to fall under the 17+ tag, too (for mild nudity and sexual innuendo)
Thank you! c: Updated the first post for ya.

Plueschkatze
Regular
Tumblr: Plueschkatzeart
Deviantart: Plueschkatze
itch: Plueschkatze

#15 Post by Plueschkatze »

This is handy! Thank you for the work Zelan!
Social Media:
Twitter | Itch.io | Patreon