GIVE IT TIME [Dark Fantasy] [NaNo 2017] [Complete]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Norbez
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, HCF, Hummingbird Haunting, Literate, Where Is The Edge of Space, Colmercia, Cally & Lingo, Comfort Owl, Fantastic Backflip, The Mouse
Tumblr: NaomiNorbez
itch: norbez

GIVE IT TIME [Dark Fantasy] [NaNo 2017] [Complete]

#1 Post by Norbez »

Written, Programmed, & Drawn by Naomi Norbez
A man is on his death bed.
A son finds an escape.
A woman is locked away.
A daughter is growing impatient.
A mastermind plays his game.
And a creature lurks in the shadows. . .

GIVE IT TIME is a short experimental & layered VN that focuses on 6 individuals during one month in 1988, and the web that has brought them together. Click the title on the top to check it out or click right here! It's playable in your browser; fullscreen is highly recommended. Also, please note: Unlike other VNs, you'll be using your scrollbar this one, to read long passages of text.

The story takes ~20-30 minutes to play, and you may want to go through it more than once. This VN contains mature content, and explores abuse at length. It also discusses
cannibalism, in more ways than one
. You have been warned.

The game is complete, but may be updated during NaNoRenO's duration (additional art, story edits, etc.). The plot will not go through any major changes at this period, however; it's fixed at this point. If you spot any typos or bugs, please let me know, and I'll fix them asap! :D

Questions:
Before your playthrough . . .
  • 1. First impressions?
    2. Any predictions?
After your playthrough . . .
  • 1. Thoughts on the story and its characters? What are your impressions on each of them?
    2. Thoughts on the art and different styles, as well as the black screens?
    3. What were your choices, and why? What resulted from them, and did you think the outcome was fair/satisfying? If not, how do you feel it can be improved.
    5. Do you have a favorite character, moment, scene, etc? What about least favorite?
    6. If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
    7. Final thoughts & additional comments? What were you satisfied and dissatisfied with? Would you recommend this VN to someone?
Attachments
GIVE IT TIME_screenshot3.PNG
GIVE IT TIME_screenshot2.PNG
GIVE IT TIME_screenshot1.PNG
Last edited by Norbez on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi there! Hope you have an awesome day! Keep up the good work on your project. You can do it! :)

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Re: GIVE IT TIME [Dark Fantasy] [NaNo 2017] [Complete]

#2 Post by pyopyon »

I had no idea what I was getting into. The one-liner blurbs are very mysterious so I just thought, "Okay. I'll try it."

1. Thoughts on the story and its characters? What are your impressions on each of them?

The first time I played through, I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know whose voice was whose a lot of time. However, by the end of the play-through I had a much better understanding of the story. So, my second playthrough, I thought 'Ohhhh, that's who's talking!" And with every playthrough I understood the story more and more.

2. Thoughts on the art and different styles, as well as the black screens?

The art was unpolished but I felt that it got the point across so I wasn't all that bothered. I actually found the black screens a bit of a nuisance because it was a lot of scrolling for the play-throughs and no save function. If I wasn't so determined to get all of the endings, I don't think I could've made it through.

3. What were your choices, and why? What resulted from them, and did you think the outcome was fair/satisfying? If not, how do you feel it can be improved.
First time, I chose to keep the info to myself & listen to Black Water because those choices felt morally "right". The ending was dissatisfying but made sense because it was like I did the same things the characters were doing before, so ofc nothing would change. I didn't understand what favor Black Water performed for Richard, though.

Second time, I chose to keep the info to myself and not to listen to black water and killed Diana. I understood this ending too, because it felt like Diana was still loyal to Ian.

Third time, I chose to tell, to trust her, tell it the truth. Richard got a job under Ian. I was less satisfied with this ending, because I thought to myself that I didn't know what was going to happen with Ivy, especially since, in this storyline, Black Water still tells Ivy that she can come to town with her. Does she get captured? Does Richard become like Henry?

Fourth time, I chose to tell and not to trust her, but to tell it the truth. Same ending as the second time. This time, I thought to myself that I wish there was some kind of information as to whether Ian was still killed by Ivy or not.

Fifth (final) time, I chose to tell, to trust her, and to not tell it the truth. The least impactful ending because I felt there were too many questions about what would happen with Ivy, especially since now Ian was employing all stops to kill her.
5. Do you have a favorite character, moment, scene, etc? What about least favorite?
No favorite character since there wasn't a lot to know about them. Same with least favorite. To me, I spent more time piecing the story together than getting to know the characters. I guess... Black Water's perspective was interesting? And Ian was a douchebag? idk though.
6. If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
More insight into the transition of Diana and Ian's relationship from loving to... whatever weird emotional manipulation game. Ian said that he couldn't believe he used to love her so I'm curious about what made him stop loving her. Was the birth of Ivy just kind of an mid-life-I-married-a-monster-crisis?
7. Final thoughts & additional comments? What were you satisfied and dissatisfied with? Would you recommend this VN to someone?

The only thing I was frustrated about it that I couldn't save, so if I wanted to try another choice, I would have to start from the very beginning, over and over. Even though it wasn't long for one play-through, trying to get all of the choices made this into a two hour play-through for me.

All in all though, I enjoyed it. Interesting story! Great job on this!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Norbez
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, HCF, Hummingbird Haunting, Literate, Where Is The Edge of Space, Colmercia, Cally & Lingo, Comfort Owl, Fantastic Backflip, The Mouse

#3 Post by Norbez »

Thanks for playing, pyopyon! I'm glad you enjoyed GIVE IT TIME.

I do agree that lack of a save function is a pretty big problem; I'll see what I can do about that. It may not be possible to implement with this Twine format, but we'll see! I'm feeling optimistic. :)
Thank you for letting me know how you felt about each ending. I'll probably go back and add in some things, thanks to what you have said. The fact that you liked the game enough to play through it 5 times makes me happy.

I'm very likely to make a sequel to this in the future, and it may provide more information about how Ian and Diana's relationship was in the past. Until then, there will likely not be more information, at least not in this game.
Hi there! Hope you have an awesome day! Keep up the good work on your project. You can do it! :)

Norbez

#4 Post by Norbez »

GIVE IT TIME is now at Version 1.1!
  • -- Added some text to the game's endings.

-- A few new art CGs, mainly for Richard.

-- Still trying to find a way for the player to save their game, a feature pyopyon pointed out is lacking. Hoping to have that (and a few other surprises) in 1.2.
Enjoy!

Norbez

#5 Post by Norbez »

GIVE IT TIME 1.2 has been released! :)

- The text has been polished all around. That includes fixing all the typos & misspellings I could find. If there are any left over, please let me know & I'll take 'em out asap!

- The game now has a proper icon! It can also be found at the beginning and end of the game.

- Unfortunately, I could not find a way for the player to save their game (if I don't want my GUI to break apart, at least). So sorry, players (& pyopyon)!

- I'm considering writing some short epilogues for the characters, which can be unlocked at certain endings. Would you want to read that? If so, anything you'd really want to see?

Norbez

#6 Post by Norbez »

Edited the game a tad; fixed a bug in Richard's second narration (which a player thankfully pointed out to me.