Blue Skies - Prologue [scifi][Nano17] Alpha release

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

Blue Skies - Prologue [scifi][Nano17] Alpha release

#1 Post by korova »

I know it's late, I know I'm crazy...
But here is my NaNoRenO 2017 attempt!
Human beings has lived on the Station for... as long as anybody can remember. The Station floats in space, somewhere near the Asteroids Belt. No life can exist outside of the Station, Big planets are made of toxic gas with no ground, and asteroids have solid ground but no atmosphere.
There is no other choice but living in the Station, and everyone has to do his best in his field of expertise. Everyone has a task, and everyone relies on the others for the entire Colony to survive.

But what if there were other alternatives? Despite the saying of the Governors, a legend murmurs that a long time ago, human beings lived on a planet with a solid ground, a breathable atmosphere... and a blue sky.
Even if nobody knows now what "blue" looks like...
Meet Laura on her first day as full citizen of the Station. You'll meet her family, her colleagues, her "special friend" and the scientist she's supposed to work with on a special project.
As you follow Laura, you will also discover life on the Station, and get hints that strange events are in the air, events that may change the destiny of the Colony forever...

(All sprites are from Deji's collection of placeholders, thanks so much, they're marvellous...)

This NaNoRenO project is only the Prologue of what might become a scifi saga centered around Laura's destiny. The saga will uncover the Station's secrets, its past and the forgotten past of what's left of humanity and the real purpose of the Station.Laura will have to choose which secrets to uncover, which people to trust and ultimately whether her life will remain on the station or be led elsewhere, maybe on a real planet?
The Prologue is mostly an introduction to the main characters and the Universe.
Why NaNoRenO and why so late?
Well, at first, I had no intention to take part in NaNoRenO. I've already made 2 attempts, 1st one was a huge failure and second one was only a semi-victory. My only "talent" is writing, english is not even my first language, I can't draw so I rely on other people talents for background, sprites and music. So this year, I had convinced myself that participate would be a mistake.

But on the 15th of March, I all of a sudden had this idea about a story that would take place in a space station. Humans have lived here for so long they forgot that the Earth once existed and what's the real purpose of this station. And all elements of a saga were dancing in my head.
Of course, I couldn't put up a sage in fifteen days. But what about a prologue? I could use modified photos for backgrounds, Deji's placeholders for sprites, just to see what it might be.
And before realizing how crazy that was, I was looking for suitable pictures for background and writing and introduction...
I just HAD to do it, no matter how imperfect it would be.

So if you like space sagas and scifi, you might want to take interest in my little story. Just remember I put this up in a very short time, english in not my first language and I'm no artist (By the way, if you feel the urge to draw scifi backgrounds and characters, don't refrain yourself and let me know!...)

I hope I get to achieve something this year, even if a "polished" thing is absolutely out of question...

Enjoy and let me know if you're interesting in reading.

Download
A very alpha release (only one end, no real proofreading but hopefully no bug...) is available
https://korova.itch.io/blue-skies
Last edited by korova on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Blue Skies - Prologue [scifi][Nano17]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This looks very cool! That last sentence of the summary, "Even if nobody knows now what "blue" looks like..." really got my attention. And the characters seem cool as well. :D

korova
Veteran

#3 Post by korova »

Zelan wrote:This looks very cool! That last sentence of the summary, "Even if nobody knows now what "blue" looks like..." really got my attention. And the characters seem cool as well. :D
Thank you!
About that "blue" thing, you need to know that, after the main menu when you see the sky with clouds, blue is not to be seen anywhere in the VN. On the Station, there is green for the plants, and grey for metal, but no blue!

Here is a selection of screenshots to show how the VN looks like as for now.

It's mainly dialog in ADV mode, but there are also som bits in NVL mode.

I've implemented a message system, for when people talk from far away locations (And the sustem works OK, thanks to the help of the forum comminity!).

You can have a glimpse of all cast (Laura, Eliott, John and Fred + é secondary characters : the bald man is Laura and Eliott's Dad, and the woman with grey hair is Carla, Laura's boss)
You can also have a glimpse of some locations in the Station : corridors, the Gardens's door, the hyproponics part of the Gardens.

Time to go back to the writing!

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#4 Post by Sonomi »

"So if you like space sagas and scifi"...urgh...I need this to be a thing. I love scifi stories! Your premise makes sense and makes me interested in finding out what happens next. Cool idea

korova
Veteran

#5 Post by korova »

Sonomi wrote:"So if you like space sagas and scifi"...urgh...I need this to be a thing. I love scifi stories! Your premise makes sense and makes me interested in finding out what happens next. Cool idea
Whoah! all of a sudden I feel the pressure! ;-)

Good news(?), you can now have a taste of my project : I've released a very very alpha release just to show what I've achieved in NaNoRenO time. (Which was only 15 days for me as I began on March 15...). Don't expect too much of it!

The main route is written, and you'll get one of the 3 endings. I put musics and SFX on most parts.
I performed a quick proofread, and I hope I didn't leave too many typos, but I need to get my text to a native english speaker for a "real" proofread.
Hopefully, you won't get bugs...

The download is on itch.io : https://korova.itch.io/blue-skies

If this project carries on, I'll try to get an actual artist to collaborate, because art is currently placeholders and processed pictures.

See this work as a proof of concept work. I plan to write the two other endings and polish this work a little within the end of April.

Hope you'll enjoy the reading anyway.

korova
Veteran

Re: Blue Skies - Prologue [scifi][Nano17] Alpha release

#6 Post by korova »

I customized the aspect a little bit performed a quick proofread. I added background music everywhere (I think) and modified some backgrounds.
I uploaded that slightlynew version on itch.io

Still need to write the last two endings, I'll try to do that before the end of the week

Customization preview:
Customization preview
Customization preview