| Study with Me | VN+Productivity App [NaNo'17] [DEMO UP]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Banana
Tumblr: waitingformycoffin

| Study with Me | VN+Productivity App [NaNo'17] [DEMO UP]

#1 Post by Banana »

Visual novel-productivity app hybrid. Learn how to maximize your efficiency with the Pomodoro technique... and make friends while you're at it.

<Focus Mode>

A preset Pomodoro timer, together with a selection of ambient tracks that's designed to help you relax and focus. Currently with three different locations implemented.

<Story Mode>

Complete study sessions to improve your relationships with your study buddies and progress the story. Currently only Day 0 has been implemented.

This build is a proof-of-concept demo - please let me know if you have any feedback or have ideas for more features that'd help you be more productive!

Questions for Players
Which location's ambience is your favourite? What other locations would you like to see?
Last edited by Banana on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banana

Re: | Study with Me | VN+Productivity App [NaNo'17] [DEMO UP

#2 Post by Banana »

So I decided to do something a little bit more experimental for this year's NaNo... it's basically a pomodoro app+ambience generator, and you can definitely use it out of the box as such, but it's also supposed to have a story mode where you progress the story by completing more pomodoro sessions. Basically, spend more time studying with the other characters, and you'll automatically grow closer! It's kind of like grinding in an RPG, but actually PRODUCTIVE.

So far <Story Mode> is pretty barebones, with only one character and her opening scene, but it'll be fleshed out more in the future AT SOME POINT /handwaves.

Fun fact: I actually used this app as a pomodoro timer to keep myself on track while working on this app. So meta. XD

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#3 Post by Hazel »

Oh, wow. This is a really interesting idea. Never would have thought of it, but it might end up being very useful to me.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#4 Post by Ertal77 »

:D I used an application to study for my University entrance exam, where you had to answer lots of tests, but every ten tests you got a find-the-pair game: it was stupidly addictive, and I did well in the exam. This project reminds me a lot to that app.

Does it work similarly, you study for one hour and then you get to interact with the characters and move the story on?
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Banana

#5 Post by Banana »

Hazel wrote:Oh, wow. This is a really interesting idea. Never would have thought of it, but it might end up being very useful to me.
Glad to hear that! Let me know if there are any features that you'd find particularly useful.
Ertal77 wrote::D I used an application to study for my University entrance exam, where you had to answer lots of tests, but every ten tests you got a find-the-pair game: it was stupidly addictive, and I did well in the exam. This project reminds me a lot to that app.

Does it work similarly, you study for one hour and then you get to interact with the characters and move the story on?
It's something along those lines, yep! :D For this particular app the study schedule goes like this:

25 mins study - 5 mins break - 25 mins study - 5 mins break - 25 mins study - 5 mins break - 25 mins study - 20 mins break

And then you can repeat the cycle if you want to. For the breaks, some people might want to leave the computer or look away from the screen, so I haven't designed any character interactions for those moments. But if you play Story Mode, the number of sessions you've completed with a character is how you're going to unlock more scenes with them! And I might even make it so that you can interact with characters during Story Mode too.

Right now only Focus Mode is functional though, haha.