Dungeons and Don't Do It [GxG][NaNo18][Comedy][Complete Beta]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

Dungeons and Don't Do It [GxG][NaNo18][Comedy][Complete Beta]

#1 Post by 78909087 »

Dungeons and Don't Do It
An Exercise in Futility

Hey everyone. I decided last minute that I was gonna do this.
I'm pumped. Sleep deprived, but loaded on coffee- I think this is great practice for the last week of this month on this challenge.

I'm working on this alone (for now?) so I hope I can use CC for art and GUI stuff without disqualifying myself :lol:

Synopsis

The two main characters...
That's you two...
Embark on an epic journey to find the missing townsfolk of Kersdale.
A strange merchant was seen coming through town days before catastrophe struck, and now it's your quest to find out the truth.
Where are the villagers? Who is this merchant...?

Yes you can touch the dice, just shut up and let me introduce the story.
Oh whatever.
Just don't do anything stupid, okay?

Of course they're going to do something stupid.

Dungeons and Don't Do It is a DnD parody, or satire about DnD... Namely, how players always find a way to do something stupid and mess up the DM's world.
(For those of you not familiar, DnD is a role-playing game, where players take on the role of an adventurer on a quest, and have great flexibility in choices while the DM- "Dungeon Master" creates the story for them.)
While it is possible to play through this game seriously, it isn't the point! There will (hopefully) be plenty of silly options and random generated results to go along with the theme and lead your character through a wacky adventure to premature death/s. Beware rng, though! Some options are much more difficult to pass than others.

Main Characters -- Real
Credit goes to Mugかぶり for these CC sprites!!!
You. A Dynamic character that you name at the beginning of the game. This is your human, real life form, aged 20.
You're slightly sassy, very stubborn and like looking for trouble.
Give you a task? You're going to try to do it differently.
I wouldn't know what to call your humor, but probably not 'good'.
You control the game through this character's choices.

This is Grace. She is your girlfriend, aged 23.
She's a forgiving, patient and happy character, who will go along with your schemes because they're fun.
She wants to be a tough little bean, so don't mention her height, and always let her win a fight!
(Or don't, because watching her sook is fun, too)

Narrator... Named Emily - 5/March
The DM, and the "one without a sprite".
This character stays off screen. You could assume they are "behind" the camera, where the camera is your screen.
Their job is to set the scene and roll the dice for your stats and checks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Characters -- DnD

This is your game character!
You will also have to name this character...
You are an elven rogue, and your stats will be explained in game!

This is Grace's game character!
I'm still taking suggestions for her name - 6/March
She is a human mage, and her stats will also be explained in game!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game will include:

- Adult language
- Themes such as; murder, really bad murder, failed stat checks, infuriating characters, spam saving, semi-replay-ability, sexuality and last minute quality!
- Easter Eggs! (gotta find em all)
- Random number generator dice rolls for stat checks (where applicable)
- Multiple possibilities per choice as per rng
- Comedic fun as best written in a crazed rush
- Tears, free of charge.

Details
I will be collecting CC sprites for characters and not all art will match or align.
Please forgive me, as I am far from an artist and I do not have the resources to hire one.

DnD quest prompt supplied by Kazi Crawlies
Current sprite art sourced from Mugかぶり
Current backgrounds sourced from Uncle Mugen! (thank the lords and his handsomeness)

I am doing the writing and coding for this game.
Progress:

Hope I can suffer with all the other producers and teams this NaNoRenO!

Good luck to everyone.

Questions!
Do you hate having to choose names for your characters?
--Would you like an auto-generator option for names (that you can still choose y/n to)?
What should Grace's DnD Character name be?
What's your favourite snack to eat while playing games?
Do you have time to Beta this game?

Optionally;
What kind of whacky side-quest would you like to see your character get hopelessly distracted by in game?
Are you more opposed to an-animal-polymorphed-into-a-human violence or a human-polymorphed-into-an-animal violence?

I'll give a cheat code via PM to anyone who contributes :'D

Edits:
. . . . . Updated in Comments 5/March
. . . . . Updated Original Post 6/March
. . . . . Updated in Comments 7/March
. . . . . Updated in Comments 12/March
. . . . . Updated Original Post 16/March
. . . . . Updated in Comments 24/March
. . . . . Updated in Comments 29/March
. . . . . Updated right here 31/March! -- BETA UPLOADING...
. . . . . Updated in Comments 4/April with the actual damn links.
Last edited by 78909087 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 am, edited 13 times in total.
I am not friends with the sun.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Dungeons and Don't Do It [GxG][NaNo18][Comedy]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Ha, this looks really funny. Looking forward to seeing this project develop. I've never had the chance to play DnD but all the talk about it makes me really want to!

Authentic

#3 Post by Authentic »

Nice! I've been kicking around the idea for a DnD visual novel for a while now but never put anything to paper. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

femslashfatale
Regular
Projects: Match Made in Heaven, Worlds Without You, Fight or Flirt!

#4 Post by femslashfatale »

this is a really cute idea!! as a lesbian, dnd gays sounds like a gr8 time

Kuroi_Usagi
Regular
Projects: AuL, I am Succubus, 74901
Organization: Self
Soundcloud: ragingwhiterabbit
itch: kuroi-usagi.itch.io

#5 Post by Kuroi_Usagi »

As someone who has played DnD for quite some time and leads his own group as the DM, I am looking forward to the finished product. Best of luck!
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
ImageImageImage

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#6 Post by Avior »

This looks like it'll be really funny! And I think mismatching art styles might make it more fun, like a ragtag team of characters in a session or something. Good luck with Nano!
Image Image

Veteran

#7 Post by 78909087 »

Hello everyone who's viewed, or will view this post. I'm back on the forums since I've just finished spending a solid 8 hours on this game, and ripped part of my hair out. I'll take this time to respond to comments, and add updates after I've slept.
Zelan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am Ha, this looks really funny. Looking forward to seeing this project develop. I've never had the chance to play DnD but all the talk about it makes me really want to!
Dnd is a funny thing, in that, you can have a completely different experience with each DM, and sometimes even just adding one more person can so seriously affect the dynamic. I like a lot of Dnd that isn't taken seriously, and that people can make jokes at, but of course the DM taking things seriously makes the shit-stirring worth it. I hope my production won't scare you off of a serious game, if that's more the thing you're thinking of.
Authentic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 am Nice! I've been kicking around the idea for a DnD visual novel for a while now but never put anything to paper. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
I thought for sure someone else had made a VN about Dnd, somewhere, but I haven't really looked it up. The idea was very last minute, and very much based on true stories... But don't tell anyone that. I'm looking forward to what I can come up with, too. To be honest, I think this has a lot of potential, and I hope I can really dig in.
femslashfatale wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 am this is a really cute idea!! as a lesbian, dnd gays sounds like a gr8 time
This is such a great comment, my girlfriend laughed out loud to hear it. As a woman dating a woman, I say to you, yes. Yes dnd and gays IS a great time, and you should try it. I rolled a nat 20 to naruto run down a hallway once. Broke the sound barrier. Pantsless.
The gay isn't what makes the magic here, but I hope you can enjoy a taste of some reality-based gay loving.
Kuroi_Usagi wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:31 am As someone who has played DnD for quite some time and leads his own group as the DM, I am looking forward to the finished product. Best of luck!
Honestly, I don't feel qualified to represent the Dnd community, but hopefully I won't encounter any purists, and everyone can enjoy this spoof for the garbage it is and should be. In other news, I'm going to be DM'ing my first story soon. As soon as the group gets their ass in gear, and we all stop being such terrible alcoholics, that is.
Avior wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:59 pm This looks like it'll be really funny! And I think mismatching art styles might make it more fun, like a ragtag team of characters in a session or something. Good luck with Nano!
I really hope the art doesn't detract too much from the idea of the game. I've been going out of my way to adjust the contrasts the art has already, and I think it's probably a good thing. I want to tone everything down, and just having some nice, detailed main sprites will be enough for me.

In other news this challenge has me back in my depression sleeping patterns and experiencing mild caffeine poisoning. I'm back on water for a while, but I think my dog is enjoying having the bed to himself while I code all night. :lol:

Hope everyone else is keeping up and not being too harsh on themselves. If I have time nearer the end of the challenge, I'll probably be looking to help proofread.

Best wishes whatever time of day it is for you guys wherever you might be,
-Pace

M0ti
Regular

#8 Post by M0ti »

I almost collapsed when I saw how much amazing art you already produced in these few days. Luckily I found the mention about using open source materials before the mental breakdown :D

Luxa
Regular

#9 Post by Luxa »

The character art is stunning, I'm really looking forward to playing your game!

Veteran

#10 Post by 78909087 »

Okay so I may or may not have slept for over 12 hours...... At least I'm not poisoned anymore.

Anyway! Big update, only named such because I've doubled my game.

So I've been working on a little of everything... Just thought I'd ought to at least spread the work over the smaller issues so that I can feel like I've made tangible progress.

I probably won't be doing a major overhaul on GUI, simply because I don't have the graphics or time for that... But I'm already feeling like there's a bit of individualism going on here, and I'm liking it. It helps give me a sense of the game. (And I've always been a fan of bricks... Hello Runescape.) I'm thinking of adding much smaller details to each piece of the game in order to pull it together without pulling myself apart.

I haven't even got a main menu yet, but let's ignore that.

As for gameplay, I've started adding personality to the screen, and it's turning out well... IMO.
THANK UNCLE MUGEN FOR HIS AMAZING SUPPLY OF FREE BG GRAPHICS! *bows 100 degrees*

^ YES, I KNOW I HAVEN'T CHANGED GRACE'S DND CHARACTER NAME YET.

I'll be working more on progressing the general story and adjusting the Character name colours. Both the Original Character and DnD Character have adjustable names, but I feel like perhaps I should add a name-generator to help those who hate sitting through naming. Thoughts?

I'll be updating the main post after today's work, but I'll go add some questions for those who want to interact with the game design.
Feel free to comment again, even if you have before!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Zelan »

A name generator would be cool if you've got time to add it! And it would be really fun to see what kinds of names it has.

On the other hand, if you'd rather not devote the time to programming that, just a predefined name is fine. That's what I prefer instead of coming up with character names when I play. c:

(lmao don't feel bad, I slept for 12 hours too haha.)

Veteran

#12 Post by 78909087 »

Zelan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:09 pm A name generator would be cool if you've got time to add it! And it would be really fun to see what kinds of names it has.

On the other hand, if you'd rather not devote the time to programming that, just a predefined name is fine. That's what I prefer instead of coming up with character names when I play. c:

(lmao don't feel bad, I slept for 12 hours too haha.)
I would say my sleeping is normal, except I also fell asleep for another 5 hours in the lounge while I was supposed to be coding (whoops)...

The generator wouldn't be anything fancy, and I'd probably just steal a bunch of names off the internet. I'm definitely keeping the option to name yourself, because there are some names that apply bonuses for your gameplay :)

Veteran

#13 Post by 78909087 »

As an update:
I have a few friends I've recently recruited to help with sprite supplements for secondary characters, and I'm proud to present that I am the happy owner of a side quest based around an angry chicken.

Veteran

#14 Post by 78909087 »

Grace has been going by the grand title of "Grace, but DnD" as I'm apparently incapable of naming her character. Any help would be appreciated!

Added; a new side quest involving a demon and a lot of unnecessary violence... The best kind of violence.

Also, plot is beginning to stitch itself together, and I'm looking at that looming deadline sideways.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Zelan »

78909087 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:39 pm Grace has been going by the grand title of "Grace, but DnD" as I'm apparently incapable of naming her character. Any help would be appreciated!

Added; a new side quest involving a demon and a lot of unnecessary violence... The best kind of violence.

Also, plot is beginning to stitch itself together, and I'm looking at that looming deadline sideways.
Hmm, what kind of name are you looking for? How about Lia? Meghan? Yuli?

Just some random ideas, haha. Not sure if you're looking for fantasy-ish names or more modern-day ones.