Singles [NaNo18][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Singles [NaNo18][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance]

#1 Post by pyopyon »

imagine a cool logo here whoa it's so amazing
SINGLES
a PAIRS story

Writer/Project Head: owl.
BG Artist: jumper09
Sprite Artist: Shida
Chibi Artist: Butterfly Wisps
Programmer: Empish
STORY.

A warrior-poet who is lost in more ways than one.
A heroine, rejected by the very society she strives to protect.

Both of them seek a place to call their own, but if they thought they'd find solace on the Island, they were sorely mistaken...

GAMEPLAY.

Set in the same universe as Pairs, this is a companion sequel to last year's NaNoRenO project, Pairs! That means that you don't have to play the original to understand the plot, but some characters will be reoccurring. By the title, you can probably guess that the center of this game is not two people who are already dating.

This time, I've decided to concentrate on two people who are not dating, but thrown together by circumstance.

The game will be split into two sections: the before, which delves into their backstories and how they ended up on the island in the first place, and the after, which details their meeting and maybe more. And of course, it wouldn't be a Pairs game if players couldn't choose the perspective of who they play as. I know the story bit is vague, but I'm keeping it that way on purpose. All you really need to remember is that this VN is set on a desert island. I'll let the rest reveal itself through the month!

MEET THE PAIR.
Nhivas Concepts
Nhivas. A Naian warrior-poet who hates warfare. As a nyling, he wanted to help people. Naian society told him that the best way to do that is to become a warrior and join the cause of conquering the known, weak universe, but... lately, he's realizing more and more that this is not the life he wants to lead...

“There were times when I believed so strongly that there was nothing more compelling, more thrilling than the scent of blood--but one can take but so many baths before it begins to stain.”

Wildtamer Concepts
Karetha Jones/Wildtamer. An Artificial certified heroine. Codename: Wildtamer. She can communicate and temporarily ally herself with wild animals, specializing in large cats and bird predators. She joined the World Protection Program as a trainee for reasons that are absolutely her own, and has kept to herself ever since. A perfectionist who has been determined not to make any alliances since her trainee days, it's rumored that the reason that she's so distant from her team is because she has something to hide...

“Father once told me that the world is cruel, that faith in others is the fastest way to lose yourself. Father once told me, 'To trust is to betray.' And I... I believe him.”

Final Comments:

1. Which perspective are you most curious about?
2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)?
3. Did you play the first Pairs game? If so, who would you be excited to see as a cameo?
4. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd*
5. Any questions or commentary?
Last edited by pyopyon on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Singles [NaNo18][Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance]

#2 Post by Zelan »

YEET

1. Which perspective are you most curious about?: I can't choose!! On the one hand, I've been wanting an Artificial heroine since I finished Pairs, but on the other hand, a pacifist Naian sounds so cool! Way different from Kitten, for sure.
2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)?: Gonna have to go with Nhivas. Hot af, and poets are rad.
3. Did you play the first Pairs game? If so, who would you be excited to see as a cameo?: Carmelita and Ricardo please!! Or someone else. Anyone, honestly.
4. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd*: This question is familiar. :P
5. Any questions or commentary?: Looking forward to this! This looks so fantastic. ^_^

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#3 Post by Sayumi101 »

Omg! Something else set in the PAIRS universe! It's be an understatement to say that I'm super excited for this.
And wow, the concept art is so pretty. I mean, Nhivas's jawline could literally cut something if he wanted.
And wow again, those quotes are just.... they hit you even though they're so short.

1. Which perspective are you most curious about? Both, really. Because what I enjoy most is being able to play in either perspective. But realistically speaking, I'd probably say Karetha?
2. Which character appeals most to you (either in appearance or personality)? Nhivas... in both appearance AND personality... though that stubble is very distracting, js.
3. Did you play the first Pairs game? If so, who would you be excited to see as a cameo? Yes. I pick James just because I loved him to bits. But yeah, I'd love if they all like randomly popped in.
4. Do you want to be our GUI artist? *brick'd* You'll find an awesome GUI person sometime soon so hang in there! XD
5. Any questions or commentary? Uh none atm. Just good luck on the game and I look forward to playing this.
ImageImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#4 Post by pyopyon »

Zelan. I love that you're the first responder on the original Pairs thread as well as this one. It's déjà vu in the best way! Haha, actually, it's my hope that this game has refereshing characters. In all honesty, I was a bit nervous calling this a sequel when... the focus of Pairs is a couple, but I've decided to re-interpret it and focus on the dual-perspective story aspect over all. Haha, I hope you like the both of him. LOL, I wonder if you'll feel that way once you hear Naian poetry? Haha. Hm... I wonder who'll make it in~ LOL HOW DO I MANAGE TO NEVER HAVE A GUI ; v ;)/ maybe one day....... haha. Thanks a lot, Zelan! ^^

Sayumi101. Haha, yay! Welcome back to the world of Pairs! Thanks! There's more where that came from~! It's not ready for posting yet, though, so I'll let well enough alone. ^^ Haha, I feel like Nhivas and Karetha have some interesting personalities, especially when combined, so I look forward to writing their interactions. I hope you enjoy them, too! //scores one point for team Karetha. When you say that, do you mean that you don't like the stubble? o: I wonder if James will make a cameo. TBH it's hard to pretend that who will have a cameo can be much of a secret since I'll add it in the updates section, haha. Thanks for commenting. ^^ I hope your NaNo goes well, too!

UPDATES

[Pre-NaNo] Karetha & Nhivas concept art. Nhivas colors chosen.
[1 March 2017] Kitten Pink outfit concept complete. Mei design and outfit concept complete. Thread made. Introduction started.
Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

pyopyon wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:19 pm[1 March 2017] Kitten Pink outfit concept complete. Mei design and outfit concept complete. Thread made. Introduction started.
Mei!? That's awesome, we never got to see her in the flesh last game! And great to see Kitten making a return appearance, too. ^_^

pyopyon
Veteran

#6 Post by pyopyon »

Zelan. Yep, Mei. ^^ She's a bit older now, too! I feel bad but in reality there's no way to avoids spoilers. Haha.
UPDATES
[2 March 2017] Introduction - Nhivas, completed. Karetha Ch. 1 started.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#7 Post by pyopyon »

Man, that feel when you start writing and then end up restructuring practically everything--so I ended up taking the introduction and making them the beginning of Karetha and Nhivas' respective first chapters.

I think I'll be writing the introductions at the end since I want the introductions to take place on the island. I also reduced some of the writing workload so that the story will be less against the wire (and also maybe... so I can get to the romance bits earlier LOL.)

Quick shoutout to Spider-man 2's soundtrack for being v inspiring as I wrote. :V

UPDATES
[3 March 2017] Restructure of the game mechanics. Waterfall BG completed.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#8 Post by pyopyon »

Wow, so I'm 10000% trash and didn't update this at all //finger guns

But I did release a demo...

It's about 22k in words, so not complete, but about three chapters of each character's route.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE ON ITCH!

I'll be making a WIP thread soon since you didn't get to hear literally anything about this game, so here's a quick bullet point list about the demo:
  • it's set four years after Pairs
  • there are only two main characters; one Naian (Nhivas) & one Artificial (Karetha)
  • the game is more plot-oriented and explores a bit of the background of the pair before they meet
  • sprite assets are complete but no music/sfw/logo/side character phone sprites/menu select chibis
  • the game in general has romance, but this kind of establishes their characters before they meet so the demo is simply Not There Yet
  • you don't have to have played Pairs but it does make the world a lot richer
  • no proofreader so enter at ur own risk
Image ImageImage