Alliance [GxG, romance, drama, LGBT]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Luxa
Regular

Alliance [GxG, romance, drama, LGBT]

#1 Post by Luxa »

I didn't plan to participate in this year's NaNoRenO, but then I suddenly had an idea for a game that I really want to make, so I'll try to finish it in one month.

Synopsis:
Juniper, Ella, Caitlyn, Emily and Ariana are an online support group for queer girls, but when they realize that they will all attend the same school soon, they deside to make the support group a real life - thing, which oft course doesn't go unnoticed...

Planned features:
- 4 different romance options
- high interactivity (lots of choices)
- multiple endings
- at least 15k words

What do you think about the concept?
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Main characters:

Juniper:
The game's protagonist.

Ella:
ella_smile.png
A friendly and easygoing girl who loves everything sci-fi. She has a terrible sense of humor.

Caitlyn:
caitlyn_smile.png
A outgoing and social girl who loves sports, especially hiking and swimming. She originally created the online support group. For some reason she lives alone.

Emily:
emily_normal.png
An introverted and shy bookworm, she's very considerate and mature for her age.

Ariana:
ariana_happy.png
A hot-headed and lively girl. She's a member of the school's band.

What do you think about these characters? Who do you like most?

Side characters:

Elise:
elise_normal.png
Juniper's mother

Risa:
risa_concerned.png
Ella's sister

Simon:
simon_smile.png
Ariana's brother

Ben:
ben_grin.png
Emily's father

Miriam:
miriam_normal.png
Emily's mother

?:
caitlyn_father_annoyed.png
Nino:
nino_normal.png
A student

Felix:
felix_sad.png
A student

Sarah:
sarah_happy.png
A student

Jona:
jona_concerned.png
A student

Teacher:
teacher_smile.png
Juniper's homeroom teacher

Principal:
principal_concerned.png
The school's principal

Character art: SilverHyena

As you can see, the game will have many side characters, do you think they are too many?
The characters also all have the same shape and set of expressions, do they look distinctive enough?
Last edited by Luxa on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Alliance [GxG, romance, drama, LGBT]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I'm interested. This seems like it could be really cute but also really serious in parts.

I'd be surprised if you kept it under 15k words with four romance routes (I'd think it would be more like 20k, or 5k per route). If it ends up being much shorter, though, don't feel obligated to pad out your word count. Quality over quantity!

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Are you going to solodev this project or do you want to find some team members?

Luxa
Regular

#3 Post by Luxa »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure how long the game will be, I'm still planning the routes. And I'm probably gonna solodev it in case I'm too busy to finish it during NaNo

Luxa
Regular

#4 Post by Luxa »

I added character artwork to my initial post and also some questions, feedback would be appreciated.

DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

#5 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

Luxa wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm I added character artwork to my initial post and also some questions, feedback would be appreciated.
I love the general aesthetic and style you have going on for the game-- the colors are fantastic!

My only worry is with such a large cast of characters that some individuality gets lost?
To be specific (assuming what you've shown is generally the final art and/or final designs for the game): I don't mind that the main four in the cast all have the same pose-- but seeing how BIG the cast it becomes very...repetitive?
There's specifically a problem with the faces all seeming eerily similar-- which is something that's easy to run into when it comes to most simplified art styles!

I think varying up the posing ever so slightly (arms crossed, hands on hips, on hand on hip-- even simple poses help), using different eye shapes/styles for different characters, different nose shapes, and including more different accessories (for example: multiple characters have glasses; so maybe someone's glasses could be red-framed instead of black?) could help a LOT I think!

That's just my first thoughts-- and I'm VERY excited to see more games coming out that are GxG and talk about LGBT issues! Good luck with everything and I hope this helps! :D

Luxa
Regular

#6 Post by Luxa »

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's extremely helpful and I'll definitely consider making some adjustments. It's also nice to see that people are actually interested in the game, though I won't be able to finish it during NaNo 'cause I'm really busy right now, but I'm still working on it.