Urban Magic [NaNo 2018][GxG][Fantasy, Mystery]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Melonkid
Projects: Urban Magic
itch: melonkid

Urban Magic [NaNo 2018][GxG][Fantasy, Mystery]

#1 Post by Melonkid »

The concept
Urban Magic is a kinetic VN about a society where there is a chance for people to gain magical powers when they turn 16. The game begins when the main character, Darya, obtains her powers on her 16th birthday. However, she doesn’t have much time to celebrate, as one of her friends, Mary, goes missing within the same day. Join Darya and her friends, Maleeha, Dorothy, Emilia, and Izumi, as they look for their missing friend. Relationships will form and be broken throughout the game, and trust between characters will be challenged. There will be both romantic and platonic relationships explored in Urban Magic.
The Characters
Darya is one of the most popular girls at school, and this is mainly because she loves to talk to other people and comfort them when they are down. If someone insults her or her friends, she will insult them right back, often ending in the original offender apologizing, and both people getting imto trouble wirh teachers. She rarely ever cries in front of other people, because she wants others to think that she is a reliable shoulder to cry on. She is what some call a “rabid fan of anime” and has a collection of gundams at home.
Maleeha is a kind and caring person who would put her trust in almost anybody because she believes in the goodness of mankind. She is the natural leader of any group, and tries to steer anyone who she feels like is in a rut, out of said problem. She will try her best to do so, to the point where it might even wind up making more trouble than where they started with. However, everyone understands that she is working from the heart, and things get done even when they go wrong in the beginning. She likes to make fashionable outfits, and often uses the gemstones she can create with her powers to make jewelry.
Dorothy is a bubbly, kind girl who is somewhat unpredictable at times due to her actions. She regrets the more spontaneous actions afterwards, but her friends still like her just the same. When she needs time to recharge, she spends it managing her family’s greenhouse, and uses her magic in order to help the plants grow. When someone criticizes her or her friends, she will be one of the first to get upset about it, and will often cry, causing her to be made fun of by the aggressor. As obvious as it might sound, she enjoys botany, as well as hiking along dense forests and lush mountains.
Emilia is from a religious family, who hates the fact that she has magical powers. She ran away from her parents in order to live with her aunt and uncle, and her younger cousins, whom she takes care of. Because of this, she doesn’t have a lot of time outside of school in order to keep them in check. She is calm on the outside as a defense mechanism, because she feels like, if she is not calm, she will be a mess of emotions. She doesn’t really understand her own emotions, and will sometimes be sarcastic instead of genuine. Sometimes this will cause conflict between her and other members of the group, which will eventually be resolved, but not without slightly hurt feelings. Emilia enjoys relaxing pastimes such as knitting and reading.
Izumi is somewhat hot-headed, but this is a reflection of her older brother’s personality that she copied as a coping mechanism. When around animals, these somewhat violent tendencies fade away altogether, and she becomes a total crybaby who bawls at everything they do. When around those she trusts, she also is not as defensive compared to when she is around total strangers. Even though it might not seem like it, she enjoys giving hugs to people. She feels great joy in taking care of animals, and giving them handmade gifts. She enjoys the thrill of skateboarding, and also the calm of birdwatching.
Mary is the leader of Almaroth School’s Magical Youth Program, and thus is a studious young woman. Despite being gifted what society called a “useless power”, she was still able to use her intelligence in order to establish herself as a strong witch. She is still kind, and has a soft heart, but she doesn’t let other people stand in the way of her goals, especially if they don’t deserve to. She loves to work on projects in order to advance herself and others that she cares about, and is great at coming up with them. She enjoys programming phone applications in her free time, with one of her apps having won an award.
Goals
I hope to at least make a demo for Urban Magic, with handmade assets such as CGs, backgrounds and sprites. I am making the assets and writing the script by myself, and possibly having a friend help me with music. I want there to be a custom GUI, with some choices that won't change the overall story of Urban Magic, but that will affect how Darya interacts with other characters.
Questions
What are some magical powers that you would like to see characters have?
What characteristics would you like/dislike in a villain?
What do you think about the current released characters? Who is your favorite?
THANKS FOR READING!
Last edited by Melonkid on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:36 am, edited 10 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Urban Magic [NaNo 2018][GxG][Fantasy, Mystery]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This is an interesting concept. Izumi is the one I'm most interested in so far.

Melonkid

#3 Post by Melonkid »

Here is a possible bust design for Izumi, and I am wondering if you guys here would like the design, and like the art style that I have for the game.
All sprites will be around chest or ribs up, maybe even waist up. But I needed to draw what I had in mind for her face!
I am open to changing things about her, but please tell me why you want the changes you want!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zelan »

Oh, she's so cute!! I'm usually not a huge fan of beanies but she's really rocking it. ^_^ I can totally see the rough and gentle sides of her personality through this design.

Melonkid

#5 Post by Melonkid »

Update! Things are getting done on March the third!
I have written the intro (about 2k words), and will begin Chapter One when I am in the zone.
I have also created designs for the characters, and as you can see in the original post, some of the character have little chibis! I will update Darya and Mary ASAP, and add chibis of other minor characters when I am further into development.
Thanks for reading!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

Awww, Darya is a really cute protagonist, and I love Dorothy's hair. And 2k words is a lot! You're doing great. ^_^

Melonkid

#7 Post by Melonkid »

Update for today:
Wrote 800 more words, and started sprites. Here's a preview, since I changed the style:

Melonkid

#8 Post by Melonkid »

Update for March 5th! I fixed some bugs that I had with my code, and I finished all of my sprites for Izumi.
Now, who to make sprites for next...
---
Thanks for the feedback so far, by the way!

Melonkid

#9 Post by Melonkid »

Update for March 7th! Added some more words, maybe a new plot point (hehehe), to the script. I also drew all of Darya's sprites, and now am moving onto Emilia's
---
Please, tell me how you think I'm doing! It would be very much appreciated.
I might have to release a demo, with how things are going. Is this okay with you guys?

DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

#10 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

Very excited to see more GxG games getting made-- especially one with such a cute art style! I'm loving the character designs so far and the concept is fun!

What are some magical powers that you would like to see characters have?
I love invisibility as a way to show how a character is feeling-- especially because it cuts back on coding, haha!
I'm a fan of most general magical powers-- like fire, ice, etc-- but I also enjoy powers that are kind of useless and strange?
Like, "I can bedazzle any piece of clothing I want! With the snap of my fingers-- sparkles everywhere!"
That said I'm also interested in powers that are considered...valuable? And how that would affect someone's life?
Like, is healing common or uncommon? Does it make someone really rich if they are?
Is someone with the power to generate food someone who could get rich quick? Things like that!

What characteristics would you like/dislike in a villain?
As a kid (and now-a-days too) I generally don't like villains very much just because I uh, get so attached to the "good guy".
But generally I like villains who have a very STRONG and understandable reason for doing what they do. They were scorned in some way or had good intentions to start and they became twisted-- stuff like that. Or, just straight up super evil and loves it. Either of those are fun for me.
People that go from being "good" to being "bad" thru the course of a story are very interesting!

What do you think about the current released characters? Who is your favorite?
I like Maleeha and Dorothy so far! I really love plants and I also like the idea of creating gemstones-- so they are my favs based on personality AND powers combined!
(I wonder if Maleeha's outfit should have some of her gemstones on it? I think it could be a nice touch-- like a broach or something!)

Good luck with everything! Can't wait to see the final product!

poorlyformed
Regular
Projects: Shadowburg
Tumblr: poorlyformed
itch: poorlyformed

#11 Post by poorlyformed »

This looks cute! I'm not sure which character would be my favorite because they all seem interesting.

Melonkid

#12 Post by Melonkid »

Oh my gosh, thanks so much, guys! I'm so happy that you enjoy my concept, and that you left feedback on it. I'm glad you two like the characters I have created, and I hope you enjoy meeting them in the game.
---
As for what would be a "valuable" power, what is considered such is actually discussed in the game, so you hit it right on the money there! Good job reading my mind, haha!
I'm not going to say directly what kind of villain this game will have, but maybe you will like him? I hope I can write him well!
---
As for progress, I have written more of the script, but because of some after-school commitments yesterday, I had no time to draw. Good thing those are over for now!

Melonkid

#13 Post by Melonkid »

Let's see... what have I done so far...
---
I have written about 20 minutes of gameplay, and I have completed Emilia's sprites. I have made some backgrounds, and I also am in the works of commissioning Nitrosparxx for some funky tunes for Urban Magic!
I hope this update is good news for all reading the thread!
---
Thanks for reading! I appreciate all of your feedback.

femslashfatale
Regular
Projects: Match Made in Heaven, Worlds Without You, Fight or Flirt!

#14 Post by femslashfatale »

wow, i love your art its super cute!! and the synopsis sounds fun too

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Zelan »

All of the new sprites are adorable! I like Emilia's moon necklace. And Darya's smile is precious. <3