Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN](Done)

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN](Done)

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Summary

A pair of siblings, Jamison and Emilia, had been invited over for a double sleepover at their best friends' house. The parents go out on a date night, leaving Jamison and Victor in charge. It's only later that Emilia and Kirsten barge into the living room, crying that something tried to grab one of them. As proof, there was a large bruise wrapping around Emilia. Looking inside the bedroom, there was a distorted arm, slowly opening the window.

Characters

(They're on the completed thread, sorry.)

Our Team

Sunlit-Dreamer: Writer, Programmer
banannasquid: BG Artist
GhostCracker: Sprite Artist
D.ray: Composer

Progress

Writing: 100% (DONE)
Sprites: 100% (DONE)
BGs: 100% (DONE)
CGs: 100% (DONE)
Music: 100% (DONE)
GUI: 100% (DONE)
Coding: 100% (DONE)
Beta-testing: 100% (DONE)

Itchio

Notes

(Will edit here every time I update this post.)

The other members will post in the thread at their own discretion.

Edit 1: Did some minimal customization regarding GUI. Also tested out some codes, so far no issues.

Edit 2: Story is officially complete. Art is steadily progressing, music is nearly done.

Edit 3: Music is complete. Sound effects all found and created. Art slowly getting complete.

Edit 4: Forgot to edit this earlier. Anyway, almost all of our assets are complete. We'll either make it in time or just be a couple days past the deadline. Either way, we're going to finish this nano.

Edit 5: The timer's still going on itchio, so I guess we finished "on time" in that case. Haha...

(Good luck to everyone participating in the Nano, and thank you for taking the time to look at ours!)
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Painting Your Skin [Nano2018][Horror][KN]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This looks like a super cool idea! And I loved your last NaNo project. Although I don't know if I'll be able to play this one because I'm a wimp. >.< Good luck!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Zelan wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 pm This looks like a super cool idea! And I loved your last NaNo project. Although I don't know if I'll be able to play this one because I'm a wimp. >.< Good luck!
Hahaha it's all right. I remember that you're not very good with horror. And I will say that it is a teensy bit more graphic than The Doll and the Spider. Still no gore though.

(I did also consider asking you to proofread buuuut then I went "Oh right, not good with horror". XD)

Thanks for the luck!
ImageImageImageImage

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#4 Post by Avior »

This looks like it'll be a nice and creepy game! (I love the title too!) I'm looking forward to playing this, and also I'm super impressed you've already got that much done with the writing! Either the game is really short or you're doing some magic over there (maybe both?) haha. Good luck with your project!
Image Image

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Avior wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm This looks like it'll be a nice and creepy game! (I love the title too!) I'm looking forward to playing this, and also I'm super impressed you've already got that much done with the writing! Either the game is really short or you're doing some magic over there (maybe both?) haha. Good luck with your project!
Phew, Decent Title Achievement is now mine. (I always suffer thinking up titles.) As for the "magic", it's just a really short kn. =P Would probably only take 20ish minutes to read tops.

And thanks for the luck!
ImageImageImageImage

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#6 Post by Avior »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:49 pm
Avior wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm This looks like it'll be a nice and creepy game! (I love the title too!) I'm looking forward to playing this, and also I'm super impressed you've already got that much done with the writing! Either the game is really short or you're doing some magic over there (maybe both?) haha. Good luck with your project!
Phew, Decent Title Achievement is now mine. (I always suffer thinking up titles.) As for the "magic", it's just a really short kn. =P Would probably only take 20ish minutes to read tops.

And thanks for the luck!
Titles are always a pain! I usually end up picking a "good enough but not great" title and telling myself I'll change it later if I come up with something better... and then I never come up with something better haha. Naming my Nano game this year was terrible though, I couldn't even come up with a placeholder title, I was just drawing a blank for weeks! But yes, I think you chose a good title so enjoy your achievement!!

And I see, so only moderate magic then, haha. You're off to a good start it sounds like!
Image Image

Digital Bento
itch: digitalbento.itch.io

#7 Post by Digital Bento »

Cool! Sounds creepy as hell. Why does everything always go wrong during slumber parties? :p

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Avior wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 pm Titles are always a pain! I usually end up picking a "good enough but not great" title and telling myself I'll change it later if I come up with something better... and then I never come up with something better haha. Naming my Nano game this year was terrible though, I couldn't even come up with a placeholder title, I was just drawing a blank for weeks! But yes, I think you chose a good title so enjoy your achievement!!

And I see, so only moderate magic then, haha. You're off to a good start it sounds like!
(Hope I cleaned that up properly haha.)

Eeyup, got even better when a magical composer appeared before me, asking to join the party. =P
Digital Bento wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 pm Cool! Sounds creepy as hell. Why does everything always go wrong during slumber parties? :p
It must be a curse!

Progress wise, I have begun inserting the script into Editra. I'm going to be having some "fun" tabbing and fixing apostrophes. "Yay me".
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Day 7 is nearly over, so time for a quick progress report for the week.

Things are going at a steady pace, with everyone progressing bit by bit.

The GUI is considered "complete" and coded in, but will likely change in the future if it doesn't mesh well with the completed bgs and sprites.

The characters' designs have been sketched out, enticing me to want to write more. (On that note, writing is no longer 100% as I've decided to add a couple more scenes.)

One of the bgs is nearing completion, and even at its current state is amazing quality. (I'm biased, haha.)

As for music, two bgms are just about done. (And oh how I instinctively pulled my feet away from the edge of my bed.)

To go with the music, the search for needed sound effects has begun. I've found a few so far but will need to keep searching.

No art teaser in this post, since it is still in progress. For now, have this "lovely" Lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 488 dialogue blocks, containing 6,037 words and 33,592
characters, for an average of 12.4 words and 69 characters per block.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Day 14 is about done, so here's another (bare bone) weekly progress report.

Even with work and classes, we're all getting things done. =3 (We are determined to have this finished, but we're not going to work ourselves to exhaustion either.)

Writing is officially done. I am far more pleased with the story now than before.

Regarding sprites, Ghost has finished both of the girls (outline wise) and wants to polish Victor's. They'll be colored this weekend.

First bg is complete, next one is sketched out. (The later bgs will be done faster since they are simpler.)

Two more bgms are near completion, one in particular I want to find the PERFECT spot for. (Might even possibly use it for credits.)

Sound effects have all been collected. A few that I made were sent to Dray to be fixed up. (No hints to what I made though. =P)

Still no art teasers, I would prefer the artists choosing to give the teasers really. But once sprites are finished, I will place them in the original post.

I know, not much information. But I will have visuals later, most likely next week. So have this lovely Lint.

Statistics:

The game contains 595 dialogue blocks, containing 7,348 words and 40,846
characters, for an average of 12.3 words and 69 characters per block.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Another week, another report. Time sure is flying, isn't it?

Emilia's sprite is finished, and Ghost is almost done with Kirsten's as well. (Snow day gave him some time today from classes.)

Second bg is in progress, with the third already sketched out.

All of the bgms are complete! D.ray will be mastering them later. (He is now completely focused on another nano he's on a team with.)

GUI has been changed up a bit, and work on the cgs have begun.

I promised visuals. And so, visuals I shall provide. A mock-up of the current GUI, and a sketch teaser of one of the cgs.

As you can see, I did minimal changes to the GUI. Not gonna fight with it this year, nope.

The teaser is just a crop of Emilia's head. =P

10 days left now, let's all do our best!
ImageImageImageImage

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

#12 Post by D.ray »

For anyone interested, here's a quick taste of the musical tunes that will be found through out the game. Or save the spooky fun for your first game play. :D

*Please note, the final versions will be remastered, hopefully.(Probably)
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#13 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Time for the last weekly update post. I'll keep it short.

Kirsten's sprite is done, just Victor left.

2nd and 3rd bgs are done, sketches for the last 2 are also done.

Finished a couple cgs, sketched and outlined another. If things go well, I might be able to squeeze in another two.

I've been doing a lot of coding the last few days, trying to time the sound effects and bgms JUST right.

We'll be cutting it close, but we JUST might finish in time!

As for another visual teaser, here ya guys go!

Yes, it's Emilia's head again. =P
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#14 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

It may be the 1st now, but we finished.

We finished. =3
ImageImageImageImage