Belladonna [NaNo18][BxB/G][Dark Fantasy]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

Belladonna [NaNo18][BxB/G][Dark Fantasy]

#1 Post by runadial »

'Like a belladonna flower,
only poison will be left
once the beauty is gone.'

Background

There exists another world: a world that humans are blind to,
a world full of demons, whose origins go back in time, back before
humans existed... back when a poisonous love story played out.
Indeed, it was almost like a belladonna flower in full bloom.

Synopsis
Ezra is a boy who leads a normal life living alone. However, one day, he receives a text from a mysterious girl,
whose name is supposedly "Lune." After meeting her face-to-face, he finds himself entangled in a world where
demons exist. Tasked with the job of watching over these demons, can Ezra survive until the end (and maybe
find something more along the way), or will he fall under their dangerously alluring clutches?

Cast

Characters by jujube. Click on the image for a higher resolution. Designs are subject to change.
You can see some (not all) of the previous designs + Ezra here in the recruitment thread.

EZRA
The main protagonist.
Someone who likes to help others and is generally a chill dude.
However, even he has his insecurities.

IDRIS
A renowned idol known for his androgyny, though a bit two-faced.
He is kind in public, but he can mercilessly tease in private.
In the end though, is he telling truths or lies...?

KITT
A cheerful person and like a "social butterfly" whose smile is contagious.
Despite his cheery persona though, his past relating to Lune haunts him.
What lurks behind that bright smile of his?

LORELEI
A sharp-tongued girl with a rather short temper - her grudges are often ethereal.
She lives with Idris, but it's sometimes a wonder, seeing how much she dislikes him.
She also seems to hate people in general... why is that?

LUNE
A young girl and a "hunter" of demons. She speaks only when needed.
Mysterious and unemotional, just what is going on in her mind?
※ Lune is a major character, but isn't pursuable herself (sorry).

Team
We are looking for a BG Artist and UI Artist!

runa - story, concept, writer, coder.
jujube - sprites, CGs, logo, manager.
starshine001 - writer, proofreader, coder.
MrFerguson - musician.
Fogomespolo - coder.

Features
NaNo 2018
There are three pursuable characters (2 boys, 1 girl) and six ends: one good and one bad
end for each character. The word count is uncertain, but is predicted to be around 50K or
so. And yes, there will be comedy moments despite the dark moments in there as well! A
little note as well: if it helps to know, this game is rated 15+ or maybe even 16+.

EXPANSION
Also, I am planning an expansion to this game. It may or may not become a reality though.
However, if it does, there are plans to have more content in the routes in general, have a more
fleshed out and thorough script with more variations and unlockable scenes based off of the
player's choices. There will also be another pursuable character, Eden, who is also involved
in Lune's and Kitt's pasts... their route will delve in deeper into the "origin" of these demons.
You may have noticed I used they/them to refer to Eden. Yes, they are of non-binary gender.

Questions
These are optional, but encouraged!

Do you like dark fantasy? What do you think of the story in general?
Have any character theories so far / theoretical answers to the questions posed in the character descriptions?
What is your general opinion on BL (there will be 2 boy options in the game)?
This story has inspirations from Tokyo Ghoul and Servamp. Are you a fan of one / both fandoms?
Have any general suggestions or comments about the game (and/or NaNo) overall?
Last edited by runadial on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

Re: Belladonna [NaNo18][BxB/G][Dark Fantasy]

#2 Post by ParrotWatcher »

runadial wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am Do you like dark fantasy?
I guess it depends how dark, really. I'm generally fine with dark middles as long as the endings are somewhat happy.
runadial wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am What do you think of the story in general?
I don't know if there's enough in your initial post to say for sure, but I certainly found it interesting enough to comment. :)
runadial wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am Have any character theories so far / theoretical answers to the questions posed in the character descriptions?
Does "Kitt is cute" count as a theory? :D
runadial wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am What is your general opinion on BL (there will be 2 boy options in the game)?
Yes please. :D
runadial wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am Have any general suggestions or comments about the game (and/or NaNo) overall?
Nothing beyond: "Good luck with the game!" I'm afraid. :)
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

runadial
Regular

#3 Post by runadial »

ParrotWatcher wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 amDo you like dark fantasy?
I guess it depends how dark, really. I'm generally fine with dark middles as long as the endings are somewhat happy.

What do you think of the story in general?
I don't know if there's enough in your initial post to say for sure, but I certainly found it interesting enough to comment. :)

Have any character theories so far / theoretical answers to the questions posed in the character descriptions?
Does "Kitt is cute" count as a theory? :D

What is your general opinion on BL (there will be 2 boy options in the game)?
Yes please. :D

Have any general suggestions or comments about the game (and/or NaNo) overall?
Nothing beyond: "Good luck with the game!" I'm afraid. :)
Thanks for the feedback!
I was half-afraid that literally nobody would be interested, but at least my worries are relieved a little, haha.

As you said, there will be darker moments in the middle, but if you get the good end you can expect a happy ending. The bad ends though... that's a different story. I reckon this game's bad ends will uphold the meaning of "bad." And that's fine. I guess it is a little vague, but I don't want to delve into spoiler land too much, but I at least tried to hook people a little bit. I'm glad you like BL!

Kitt will definitely have his cute moments, though most of the times I try to portray him as being a bit boyish... unless that counts for being cute? I'm not sure. Sure, it can be a theory, though a little bit subjective, as I implied. I'm not sure what "cute" means for different people. If him being cute is what you're hoping for though, I hope I can achieve that in some respect. (':

Thanks for your good luck!
Even if that's all, it's still words that make me feel better / that I can make it through!

runadial
Regular

#4 Post by runadial »

We are still working on our visual novel, please don't worry!
Meanwhile, from the team, we would like to wish all of you a happy White Day! ♥
To celebrate, we have a little special art of Ezra, the protagonist, made by jujube. We hope you enjoy it!