Her List (NaNoRenO 2018)

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

Her List (NaNoRenO 2018)

#1 Post by Catlip Candy »

Title: Her List
Story Plot: "A boy wanted to end his life, but his views about life change when he met a mysterious girl one night at the park."

Wow, how exciting! (sarcasm included)
This is just what I've come up with for now ;-;

Features:
- Two characters without names
- Two Endings (one good and one bad)
- Three CGs
- An Extra Story/Author's Note (probably)

I haven't posted some sketches because I'm still working on the script for now. I'll edit this post later on.
In the meantime, I want to ask some people about their opinions. It's related to this NaNoRenO game I'm making. (It'll probably be better if I make another thread in another forum but I'll leave the questions here in case someone sees this post accidentally...)

Questions!
- Do you think a game with just two endings is boring? (I think so, too ;-;)
- What do you think of characters without names? (I just think that names are not important in this story, but what do you think?)
- Does it make you annoyed if you see repetitive scripts in the game? (For example, if you read the same script and you couldn't skip it because it's a new script in a new label. This often happens with too many labels with the same script.)
- What do you think of a sitting sprite character? (Most characters are posed and drawn but imagine the character sitting on a bench while it changes expressions. Do you think it would be weird?)
- Would you read/play a visual novel with too many negative thoughts in it?
- What do you think would this visual novel's genre be?
- What do you think about life (Bonus question)

Hope you guys could somehow give tips, opinions, advice, or good vibes! I'll update this thread as time goes by ;-;
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

ndistrict
Completed: Mischievous Lamb (NaNo '17), Slice of Life of Armpit-Chan
Projects: Hiking Kemonomimi, Nyan Hunt
Deviantart: namelessdistrict
Soundcloud: ndistrict
itch: namelessdistrict

Re: Her List (NaNoRenO 2018)

#2 Post by ndistrict »

Questions!
Not really. If the story is good, it'll be fine regardless of the number of branches and endings.
- What do you think of characters without names? (I just think that names are not important in this story, but what do you think?)
It's fine. That's because I'm doing that too! Somehow.
- Does it make you annoyed if you see repetitive scripts in the game? (For example, if you read the same script and you couldn't skip it because it's a new script in a new label. This often happens with too many labels with the same script.)
If it's a main concern, I supposed adding a flag rather than repeating labels would help or try changing the dialogue (probably slightly) to make it feel different.
There are other posts that may help you: This underlined link about disabling read options here or this link to multiple flags or this to looping labels. At the end it depends on how you implement them.
- What do you think of a sitting sprite character? (Most characters are posed and drawn but imagine the character sitting on a bench while it changes expressions. Do you think it would be weird?)
No, in fact, it's normal. Try developing a VN about a talking armpit :D
It doesn't matter as long as I can read it. Well, it's also depending on the plot. So, maybe it does matter, who knows. Balance is the key. You can have pessimistic character as long as there are character development. Maybe.
Heart wrenching story?
Like a broken roller coaster. Yet, still standing.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Oh, yay, you're doing NaNo again this year!! I loved Encanto. :D

- Do you think a game with just two endings is boring? (I think so, too ;-;): I don't think so! I love kinetic novels (no choices, one ending) so just two endings is fine, too. I've played quite a few games like that.

- What do you think of characters without names? (I just think that names are not important in this story, but what do you think?): I think it's fine if it suits your story. As long as I can tell who's speaking, there's no problem.

- Does it make you annoyed if you see repetitive scripts in the game? (For example, if you read the same script and you couldn't skip it because it's a new script in a new label. This often happens with too many labels with the same script.): Sometimes, but I usually only get annoyed with it if the game has lots of endings and I'm trying to find them all.

- What do you think of a sitting sprite character? (Most characters are posed and drawn but imagine the character sitting on a bench while it changes expressions. Do you think it would be weird?): I think that's cool! I love seeing VNs do different things with their character art. Long Nights and The Shadows that Run Alongside Our Car both did this with their sprites, although these characters were in a car and not on a bench. I'd like to see you do this as well. c:

- Would you read/play a visual novel with too many negative thoughts in it?: Absolutely. It makes you think.

- What do you think would this visual novel's genre be?: Hmm... Introspective?

- What do you think about life (Bonus question): lmao right now I'm a little tired of it but it's alright for the most part c:

By the way, I love the title, it's very mysterious. ^_^

Catlip Candy
Regular

#4 Post by Catlip Candy »

ndistrict wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:50 am
Questions!
Not really. If the story is good, it'll be fine regardless of the number of branches and endings.
It's fine. That's because I'm doing that too! Somehow.
If it's a main concern, I supposed adding a flag rather than repeating labels would help or try changing the dialogue (probably slightly) to make it feel different.
There are other posts that may help you: This underlined link about disabling read options here or this link to multiple flags or this to looping labels. At the end it depends on how you implement them.
No, in fact, it's normal. Try developing a VN about a talking armpit :D
It doesn't matter as long as I can read it. Well, it's also depending on the plot. So, maybe it does matter, who knows. Balance is the key. You can have pessimistic character as long as there are character development. Maybe.
Heart wrenching story?
Like a broken roller coaster. Yet, still standing.

Thank you for the tips/links about code for the labels though I did kind of change the script slightly so it doesn't feel like it was repeated. I just sux at coding ;-;

I don't think it's going to be a heart-wrenching story, though... My writing skills won't be able to get that kind of emotion from the readers >~> ahaha

I'll be also looking forward to your VN this NaNoRenO XD It's really unique *-*)7

Broken roller coaster.. I hope it can be fixed ;-; just enjoy the rideT^T it's also fun sometimes, that's why there's always a long line of people waiting for their turn to ride the roller coaster...
Last edited by Catlip Candy on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!

Catlip Candy
Regular

#5 Post by Catlip Candy »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:10 pm Oh, yay, you're doing NaNo again this year!! I loved Encanto. :D

- Do you think a game with just two endings is boring? (I think so, too ;-;): I don't think so! I love kinetic novels (no choices, one ending) so just two endings is fine, too. I've played quite a few games like that.

- What do you think of characters without names? (I just think that names are not important in this story, but what do you think?): I think it's fine if it suits your story. As long as I can tell who's speaking, there's no problem.

- Does it make you annoyed if you see repetitive scripts in the game? (For example, if you read the same script and you couldn't skip it because it's a new script in a new label. This often happens with too many labels with the same script.): Sometimes, but I usually only get annoyed with it if the game has lots of endings and I'm trying to find them all.

- What do you think of a sitting sprite character? (Most characters are posed and drawn but imagine the character sitting on a bench while it changes expressions. Do you think it would be weird?): I think that's cool! I love seeing VNs do different things with their character art. Long Nights and The Shadows that Run Alongside Our Car both did this with their sprites, although these characters were in a car and not on a bench. I'd like to see you do this as well. c:

- Would you read/play a visual novel with too many negative thoughts in it?: Absolutely. It makes you think.

- What do you think would this visual novel's genre be?: Hmm... Introspective?

- What do you think about life (Bonus question): lmao right now I'm a little tired of it but it's alright for the most part c:

By the way, I love the title, it's very mysterious. ^_^
Woah, hi there! Thank you for your neverending patience with my visual novels lol I think my NaNoRenO for this year would be much more rushed compared to the previous one so I don't think I'll do any better ;-; but I'll still try to make it! *-*)7

Thanks to your tips from before in my previous VN, I'll try to apply them all here!

Also, It made me think about your answer for the genre, I haven't actually seen an introspective genre type of game or story, but I guess, maybe it's kind of introspective...
I guess... '-' Thanks though for that suggestion! XD

And good luck with laifu ;-; it's really tiresome but never giving up *-*)9

Catlip Candy
Regular

#6 Post by Catlip Candy »

trash2.png
trash1.png
Did some drawings of the Sprites I'm about to use and my skills haven't improved yet ;-;

(Omgawd, I just noticed that I do the same poses for my sprites >.> meh can't go back now, or I guess I'll go back and work on it if I have time left at the end of this month)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

Woah, that's such a pretty sprite! I love the way you colored her hair. ^_^

I'm glad my feedback from last year is still helpful! (I really loved Encanto, honestly. I would love to play it again if I get the chance but there are so many new VNs to keep up with >.< and real life stuff to do, of course.)

Thank you for the luck c: I'm doing a little better now that some of my big assignments are complete. Still a ways to go, though.

Catlip Candy
Regular

#8 Post by Catlip Candy »

Zelan wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 pm Woah, that's such a pretty sprite! I love the way you colored her hair. ^_^

I'm glad my feedback from last year is still helpful! (I really loved Encanto, honestly. I would love to play it again if I get the chance but there are so many new VNs to keep up with >.< and real life stuff to do, of course.)

Thank you for the luck c: I'm doing a little better now that some of my big assignments are complete. Still a ways to go, though.

It's alright, Zelan! Thanks for the kind words! And I'm sure there are a lot of things going on in life, fight-oo!~ And you don't need to play my VNs if you're too busy, no worries :lol: I'm not really expecting people would play it XD maybe just a few, two or more XD

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ooh, the sprite looks so pretty~

Not really, it's quicker to finish and there shouldn't be extra endings if it does not fit in the story.

Makes it more mysterious, I think it's a neat concept~

Not really, it depends. I understand when only slight adjustments are made to a scene so you just copy and paste under a new label, it's easier.

I think it's fantastic~

I don't mind it, so long as the game is not promoting these negative thoughts as OK. It's good to explore the dark side of life if it is meant to find a solution to it or kindle a hope, but that cannot be done without understanding the negative thoughts and feelings first.

Not sure. In general, it's technically "slice of life", but I'd say maybe "dark" is possible, not quite sure really xD

I have many thoughts on it, but in general, I find life to be an obstacle course and all of us are running with a crutch of some sort. We run that course, despite our crutch, in fact the idea is to be an overcomer that no matter the crutch, we can still finish this obstacle course and shouldn't give up. Sometimes it seems impossible, sometimes we blame our crutch, but some people in worse condition have finished it flawlessly so why can't we? Of course we can, just never give up~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Catlip Candy
Regular

#10 Post by Catlip Candy »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:04 pm Ooh, the sprite looks so pretty~

Not really, it's quicker to finish and there shouldn't be extra endings if it does not fit in the story.

Makes it more mysterious, I think it's a neat concept~

Not really, it depends. I understand when only slight adjustments are made to a scene so you just copy and paste under a new label, it's easier.

I think it's fantastic~

I don't mind it, so long as the game is not promoting these negative thoughts as OK. It's good to explore the dark side of life if it is meant to find a solution to it or kindle a hope, but that cannot be done without understanding the negative thoughts and feelings first.

Not sure. In general, it's technically "slice of life", but I'd say maybe "dark" is possible, not quite sure really xD

I have many thoughts on it, but in general, I find life to be an obstacle course and all of us are running with a crutch of some sort. We run that course, despite our crutch, in fact the idea is to be an overcomer that no matter the crutch, we can still finish this obstacle course and shouldn't give up. Sometimes it seems impossible, sometimes we blame our crutch, but some people in worse condition have finished it flawlessly so why can't we? Of course we can, just never give up~
Thanks so much for thinking that my sprite looks pretty~~ :oops: I actually still have more things to learn about coloring and I'm working on it now!

I agree with what you say. If it doesn't suit the story, maybe I shouldn't make irrelevant extra endings. I kinda just asked this question because as a player/reader,
I wanted to have more endings as possible XD so I wanted to hear other's opinions as well.

It's hard to know what kind of genre, I was also thinking about slice of life or dark but I'm not sure if it really is. Maybe my post here seems something like that, but when the reader reads the script, maybe it's totally different >~> I guess I should ask the future proofreaders ' opinions (if there are any proofreaders XD)

I hope I could use some of your words in my VN, thoughts about life, those are nice ideas/inspiration *-*

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Catlip Candy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:26 am Thanks so much for thinking that my sprite looks pretty~~ :oops: I actually still have more things to learn about coloring and I'm working on it now!

I agree with what you say. If it doesn't suit the story, maybe I shouldn't make irrelevant extra endings. I kinda just asked this question because as a player/reader,
I wanted to have more endings as possible XD so I wanted to hear other's opinions as well.

It's hard to know what kind of genre, I was also thinking about slice of life or dark but I'm not sure if it really is. Maybe my post here seems something like that, but when the reader reads the script, maybe it's totally different >~> I guess I should ask the future proofreaders ' opinions (if there are any proofreaders XD)

I hope I could use some of your words in my VN, thoughts about life, those are nice ideas/inspiration *-*[/color]
No problem, and sure, feel free to use~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Catlip Candy
Regular

#12 Post by Catlip Candy »

BG Arcade.png
I made a BG Arcade, but there are too much BGs to do >~> I'm now desperate but if I use other people's BG, art won't be consistent. I'd rather have them all ugly instead of inconsistent art.

Other BGs to draw:

Bench
Park
Gate 1
Gate 2
Room
Beach

Wow....

Catlip Candy
Regular

#13 Post by Catlip Candy »

Some BGs, and it's Uncle Mugen's BG cos I've got no time and 0 talents nowadays *-*)7 I just colored them slightly to fit my script's description of the place~ dun forget to credit Uncle Mugen, me!

The non-school BG trash made by me, ofc that's obvious *-*)b

I'm gonna sleep :( cgs aren't made yet, I am doomed ahahaha~ no time to redo it again *-*)b Give up!!!

BG Bench nig.png
BG Park nig.png
Class moon.png
Gate 1 moon.png
Hallway moon.png

Catlip Candy
Regular

#14 Post by Catlip Candy »

Hello ;-; how's everyone doing with their VNs? ;-; I'm still here fixing sprites and without CGs yet ;-;

Will update maybe tomorrow for some screenshots... I haven't even done the Main Menu image kms..

Ahhh... I now learned to spend my precious time wisely... I shouldn't have played too much MMORPGs...