Love Me, Browser-kun! [NaNoRenO18] [GxB] [Romance] [Comedy] [Visual Novel]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Eek

Love Me, Browser-kun! [NaNoRenO18] [GxB] [Romance] [Comedy] [Visual Novel]

#1 Post by Eek »

Do you have a favorite web browser that you've fallen in love with?

What if that browser was a human being? how much would you love them then?

Find out in this short otome adventure, Love Me, Browser-kun! Meet Safari-kun, Edge-kun, and Chrome-kun! Three eligible bachelors waiting to be eaten up! Get to know them over the course of the week and meet the love of your life, the internet!

You moved back to your home city to take care of the house your parents left you and to begin your new job as a graphic designer for an advertising company.

Safari-kun is a hipster, edgy barista at your favorite coffee shop.
Edge-kun is the childhood friend you just moved next door to-again.
Chrome is your businesslike boss.

Capturebrowserkun.PNG

I'm a lurker by nature, but I decided to pop out of my shell to test my wings this March. Got the inking for the boys done tonight, but I wanted to share what I had. :) Will be polishing up the coloring and junk later. Ugh. I hate coloring.

I'm a week late to the party so I'll have a lot of catching up to do! I've planned out Edge's route, I've started Safari's route, and Chrome... needs some time. When does he not? I'm also not entirely satisfied by how he looks, so depending on if I have time I may change his sprite... No hands for me, not with the time crunch, so I took the lazy way out.

Will post more updates soon! :D
Last edited by Eek on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

Re: Love Me, Browser-kun! [NaNoReNo18] [GxB] [Romance] [Comedy] [Visual Novel]

#2 Post by arachni42 »

Ha, I'm interested to see what you come up with given this premise!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Eek

#3 Post by Eek »

Thank you, arachni42!

UPDATE #1

Was really unsatisfied with the sprites, so I scrapped everything but the color scheme and have this so far...
Tried coloring hair in a different way. Trying to decide whether I like it or not. it's certainly colorful. Thoughts?
Went for a super simple clothing style, and again, minimal hands.
Why must clothing wrinkle...

Now to work on Safari. Yummy.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

#4 Post by rito »

Edge being the childhood friend is the best thing to come out of NaNo2018, period. *drops mic*

I like the new sprites, but please be careful the clothes aren't so simple they clash with the detailed hair/feel like you forgot to shade them. Best of luck to you!
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

Eek

#5 Post by Eek »

Thank you, Rito! I took your suggestion to heart when continuing with the sprite creation. Adding textures to the clothing really made it more detailed without making it look too busy. Thanks again!

I'm really happy with how Safari turned out.

Update for today:
- All sprite bases are done: now for expressions!
- Logo done
- MC sprite done
- Tentative title screen done

I'm wondering how to go about doing backgrounds, I haven 't done any before as people are my specialty. Ah well. Tonight, going to start writing Edge's route.

Would anyone be interested in being a beta tester/proofreader? :) I'd be very thankful for the help!

Capture3.PNG

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

Re: Love Me, Browser-kun! [NaNoRenO18] [GxB] [Romance] [Comedy] [Visual Novel]

#6 Post by rito »

I'm glad to have helped; they look pretty good!
I'd love to help test/proofread, although I'm ESL so I might not pick up grammar stuff.
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#7 Post by Boniae »

I love the concept!!! I've seen people draw human versions of web browsers but I don't think anyone's done a VN with them. I'm super excited to see what these browsers will be like! Also love the art. Good luck and can't wait to see more progress! ^^

Eek

#8 Post by Eek »

@ Boniae thank you for the encouragement!

@ Rito: Fantastic, I'll let you know when it's ready to be tested! Since my deadline is before April 1st, I'll probably try to get it to you on March 30, to give you a couple days to try it. :)

It's been about a week since I posted, and while I wish I had made more progress, this last week wasn't for nothing! I have finished Day one of sex for script, and I have started on the backgrounds. Here is what I have so far.
Capture.PNG
Backgrounds are a pain, definitely a skill I need to level up, but for I'm okay with how this turned out, given I only had a few hours to do it. Really should have spent less time, though.
Capture2.PNG
Took me muuuch longer than it should have to put this as the main menu. But, it's here. Thank goodness.

Less than two weeks! Yikes! Better get my behind in gear. I still need to do music, special effects, rest of the script, and sprite expressions. Gonna be a close one. Wish me luck!