PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] - updated 4/22 [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
milkteebaby
Regular
Projects: PS: I Love You
Tumblr: milkteebaby
Deviantart: milkteebaby

PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] - updated 4/22 [Demo]

#1 Post by milkteebaby »

Don’t you get it?

I would do anything for you.

Without you, I wander alone through the darkness.

Without you, I am nothing.

But without me, you are…
College junior Kei Asakawa doesn’t believe in love. After a childhood spent watching her parents tear each other apart, she wants nothing to do with affairs of the heart. But one special day, she meets three men who could change her outlook on life—and love—forever.

PS: I Love You is a dating sim and visual novel in the otome “maiden” game genre, featuring over 100,000 words of original story, stunning illustrations, and three swoon-worthy men to choose from:

- Naoki Takayama, the happy-go-lucky baseball star who’s been best friends with Kei since childhood
- Haruhito Satou, the cold, efficient businessman hiding a heart of gold and an impoverished past
- Shinichi Kougure, Kei’s playboy cafe-owner boss with walls of ice around his heart and a boy band history he’ll be forced to revisit

Can Kei win over any of the men who’ve caught her eye, and if so, which one? The road to love won’t be easy, between career-ending injuries, long distance relationships, endless paparazzi, and secret meet-ups, but you’ll decide what path Kei takes.

------
I'm Fin and this is my first crack at REALLY working on a VN. About half a year ago, I fiddled around with Ren'Py, but a week ago, I bit the bullet and decided to seriously get into making my own VNs. I bought Tyrano and VNM, and I'm currently learning VNM right now, but the learning curve is kind of steep. I've switched to Tyranobuilder, after encountering way too many bugs on VNM. I've reverted back to Ren'Py because Tyrano and VNM are both garbaaaage.

I'm a writer by trade, usually UF or straight-up contemporary romance, and I've dabbled in light novels in the past.

Currently, I live in China, but I'm moving to Vietnam in June and then off to Taipei in December. Ah, the joys of being a digital nomad! (with 3 cats OTL)

Right.

Here's the incredibly cliched story I'm working on: A young woman must choose between 3 potential partners in her search for love.

Main character’s backstory: A young woman(Kei), in her last year of college, is trying to get a job in the literary world, but currently working part time at a coffee shop called Cafe Shanghai in Akiba.

As far as team goes, there's no oneI've found some great people to work with. I'm doing everything, story, art, sound, everything.

In the meantime, here are some questions for you:
1. Do you prefer a heroine whose name is customizable?
2. Which partner would you aim for?
3. Do you like the idea of a bad ending, or do you prefer a good end and perfect end?
4. Do you care if voiceovers are included/or not?
5. Would you like access to partial demos? These will be released every 3-4 days. With new content, of course!
6. What is your favorite otome game?

Progress
Script: 30%
Character Design: 100%
Sprites: 100%
UI Design: 50%
Sound/Music: 60% (I've commissioned a musician to compose the OP theme and I'll be singing it)
CG: 20%

Team
Writer: Eunsun Shin
Editor: Red L. Jameson
Artist: Eunsun Shin
Colorist: Toxicmilkk, Lizm
Beta Testers: Victoria/Nicola

I'll be posting up updates every couple of days, so please bear with me.

Here goes nothing! Good luck, everyone!
Last edited by milkteebaby on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am, edited 29 times in total.

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

Re: PS: I Love You [GxB] [Drama] [NaNo18]

#2 Post by Boniae »

Very happy to hear that you're jumping into VN development! I'm a big fan of slice of life/contemporary romance things, so I'll be excited to see the progress and the finished game. I don't know much about Haruhito but I'll probably go for him first, I have a thing for characters like that VNs HAHA.
Good luck with Nanoreno!! :D (And many kudos to you for doing everything yourself, that's definitely not an easy task!)

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [GxB] [Drama] [NaNo18]

#3 Post by milkteebaby »

Boniae wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm Very happy to hear that you're jumping into VN development! I'm a big fan of slice of life/contemporary romance things, so I'll be excited to see the progress and the finished game. I don't know much about Haruhito but I'll probably go for him first, I have a thing for characters like that VNs HAHA.
Good luck with Nanoreno!! :D (And many kudos to you for doing everything yourself, that's definitely not an easy task!)
Thank you for posting! :D I'd probably go for Haruhito too; I'm a sucker for the cold, megane-types, anyways.

Luckily for me, I'm home all the time, so I work on this when I'm not watching TV (as it turns out, I watch shocking amounts of TV).

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: PS: I Love You [GxB] [Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/13

#4 Post by Zelan »

1. Do you prefer a heroine whose name is customizable?: No, I suck at naming things, and I never name characters after myself. It's a nice option to include, but if you do it I prefer having a preset name.
2. Which partner would you aim for?: In terms of looks, Haruhito (I have a shameless glasses kink). Personality could go to either Naoki or Haruhito - I like both childhood friends and 'tsundere' characters, so it depends what impression they make on me in the game.
3. Do you like the idea of a bad ending, or do you prefer a good end and perfect end?: Bad endings are fine as long as they make sense. However, if you don't think your story *needs* a bad end, you don't have to add one. You don't have to have bad ends to make a VN. c:
4. Do you care if voiceovers are included/or not?: Not really. Most VNs I've played don't have them. Good voiceover is a bonus, but it's hard to find quality voicing for free. And I've never liked partial voices.
5. What is your favorite otome game?: Boy oh boy oh boy. You're really asking me this. Um. Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to pick just one. I'll try to narrow it down to just three.

The Knife of the Traitor was one of the really early VNs that I ever played. The unique story really stuck with me. I also loved the 8-bit soundtrack.
Taarradhin was another early one. I don't want to go into spoiler territory, but I really loved the way the game's story was structured. The art was really lovely and polished for this one. Plus, Cyanide Tea just made damn good games, there were my favorite developers for a while. (Not sure if you would count this one since one of the love interests is female, but I couldn't not mention it.)
Equilibrium is just a fantastic story. I liked the varied endings that you could get, and the CGs in this game were gorgeous.

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [GxB] [Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/13

#5 Post by milkteebaby »

I should've probably been working on the romanceable characters, but since Aiko shows up sooner than the three in the game, I thought I should work on her design/sprite first.

Here's her profile.

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [GxB] [Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/15

#6 Post by milkteebaby »

came to the conclusion that I actually really dislike Naoki's look so, I upgraded it. In the game, he's a sports guy so, I changed his hairstyle to (hopefully) reflect his active lifestyle.

...I do not look forward to the moment when I have to redraw his hair from a different angle.
----
EDIT: Also, finished the rough sketch for the 1st CG scene with Naoki.

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/16

#7 Post by milkteebaby »

Finally got the character design for the main protagonist!

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/17

#8 Post by milkteebaby »

Got the prologue all written up, to the point where the MC must pick the man of their choosing...and it's 10k. That seems a little long for just the prologue portion, arrrrrggghhh.

I'm also currently looking for a colorist to color the sprites I've drawn up. The artists who've applied are all amazing, and it makes me uneasy that I'll have to send out the dreaded "Sorry, but I've chosen someone else"' email on Monday.

But this project is definitely coming together! There's no way I'm going to be able to get this game finished in 7 days, but once April comes around, I'm going to migrate this thread over to the Works in Progress forum :D

I'm excited! I've worked out a timeline and I foresee a late May release. It's going to be free, so I hope I can get this game out to as many people as possible.

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/23

#9 Post by milkteebaby »

Hired a fabulous colorist and I'm finished with the character design, working on different expression for the sprites. CGs still need to be drawn. There's no way I'm going to finish this thing in a few days. Script is currently at 15k, but I still have at least another 60k more to go.

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

Re: PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] [NaNo18] - updated 3/29

#10 Post by NiKaWo »

I see you have a childhood friend character, that's enough to grab my attention LOL.

Anyway, the art is cute, I relate with the MC liking making money, eating cake, and sleeping. Excited to see how it turns out, good luck with it!

1. Do you prefer a heroine whose name is customizable? - Honestly I don't really care, I mean I guess it's a nice little bonus, but it isn't huge on my wishlist.
2. Which partner would you aim for? - Naoki. The childhood friend love interest is my favorite trope XD
3. Do you like the idea of a bad ending, or do you prefer a good end and perfect end? - I guess I prefer good/perfect end combo. I don't like being punished for my choices, unless it makes sense as to why each choice would contribute to a bad end 90%+ of the time (i.e. Being rude to the LI makes sense to lead to a bad end, but some random dialogue option or, god forbid, choosing 'left' or 'right' on a walk or choosing a non-preferred drink of the LI's on a date leading to losing points/getting a bad end annoys the crap out of me.)
4. Do you care if voice overs are included/or not? - I actually don't like voice overs, they distract me and I prefer to imagine the voices in my head. If you do include them then it'd be nice if you'd include an option in the menu to mute them without turning off the music/other sounds.
5. Would you like access to partial demos? These will be released every 3-4 days. With new content, of course! - I tend to wait until the full game is released before I play, with only a few exceptions, so I don't really care one way or another.
6. What is your favorite otome game? - Lads in Distress by Catfish Crew (as you may have guessed if you recognize my avatar). I absolutely fell in love with Nicholl/Charming in the nano version and have been annoying the heck out of Windchimes (the lead writer) ever since XD

Anyway, good luck with your game, I'll look forward to its release!

milkteebaby
Regular

#11 Post by milkteebaby »

NiKaWo wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:16 pm
Thank you so much for your comments! :D I also love the childhood love interest trope, but I think you'll find that Haruhito and Shinichi's stories are quite interesting! (T_T at least I hope so)

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#12 Post by runeraccoon »

Yay for more otome games!

Either way is fine!

Shinichi. I'm a sucker for the long-haired bishies. They just seem so laid back and has a back story.

3. Do you like the idea of a bad ending, or do you prefer a good end and perfect end?
Honestly, I'd prefer a worthwhile ending. I'm not a fan of bad endings with death and gore, but if the bad ending let us explore the love interest's circumstances, personality, I think that'll be nice.

No, I don't. I prefer Japanese VO or none at all. But I won't say no to drama CD/podcast for promotion which includes voiced scenes! I only won't care enough in the game itself.

5. Would you like access to partial demos? These will be released every 3-4 days. With new content, of course!
Time is limited ;;; I'm afraid I'll just wait for the complete demo(??) :3

Harvest Moon series, lmao. IDK if it can be called otoge. I actually haven't played a lot. For EVNs, RE:Alistair++ and Planet(s) are nice. I love Tokimemo Girl's Side dating sim too.

Success to you and your 1 gal company! <3

NemiGal

#13 Post by NemiGal »

In the meantime, here are some questions for you:

In games where the bishies call your name if you let the default name i dont change names.
But if the heroine name is no voiced by the bishies, i usually change the heroine name for something i like most (if i dont like her name of course)
In my second playthrough i usually name the heroine something troll, like "Mylove", "HeySexy", is not because i dont like the vn! its just for my own amussement when boys call you that xDDD.

Overall i dont care much about renaming, because i never play thinking the heroine is me, i like indie games because they give heroines personalities and i can relate better to them.

Naoki because , videogames, ramen and basketball, i bet you could write fun things with that XD (like in storm lover one of the guys tell you he is in your route and wants a fandisk of yourself XDD)

Le drama, yes i like it, i am sucker for bittersweet endings.

Not really, i dont really like how the english dub sounds, please dont get me wrong i dont hate the english language, but i find it, like kinda ugly sounding, S:
If is japanese or any other languague with more subtleties in the languague yeah, but it also depends a lot in the voice actors, i for example love garrus vakarian voice from mass effect. so yeah depends of the quality of voice acting in the end.

Nah with just one demo to know how the games goes is enough. Just to get a general idea how the game is going to be.
you know the hype.

D: gonna make choose one!! i cannot!
from commercial ones i like: Tokimeki girl side 3 (i usually hate stats rasing but this game is good.)
Ijiwaru my master, Kenka Banchō Otome: Girl Beats Boys, starry sky series,

From indie ones: Nusantara the legend of the winged ones, (P)lanets, Re alistair.

milkteebaby
Regular

#14 Post by milkteebaby »

Got some new SS to share. Just waiting for one more CG scene to be colored and I can finally release the demo. There will be only 1 demo before the game is released (with one full route, the other 3 will be released within one month of each other).

milkteebaby
Regular

Re: PS: I Love You [Otome][Drama] - updated 4/17

#15 Post by milkteebaby »

Finally got the demo up and running. You can download it here: https://milkteestudios.itch.io/ps-i-love-you

Meanwhile, I'm hard at work with the 1st route :D