The Lonely One

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

The Lonely One

#1 Post by Donmai »

title.jpg
Don't let your eyes deceive you. The girl lying on the blue slab isn't artificially tanning her skin. She's returning from a state of induced hibernation that lasted many years. Her faithful companion robot is watching her, very carefully. If you've read my NaNoRenO 2014 entry, The One in LOVE, then this will all seem quite familiar to you, as this story takes place in the same universe, and in a similar passage of time.
conversation.jpg
By the way, the robot's name is Lazlo, and people used to call the girl Angel. Well, now she's only called "master" by the machines, as the only human partner in her space mission, Dave, has been missing for a long time (he's presumably dead). You will find more details about that in the story, including what they were doing in space.
singing_head.jpg
In this "anti-Terminator" story, the machines are desperately trying to keep alive who may be the last living human in the universe. One way to achieve this is to keep her hibernating for long periods of time. Sometimes, however, it's necessary to wake her up in order to check her overall health. Some tasks are then offered to her in order to check her sanity. In the game, you can help the girl or the machines to choose the appropriate actions.
window01.jpg
For example, as a companion robot, you should find a way to prevent her from keep staring at her now eerie looking dead planet as that will surely make her feel depressed.
earthlight.jpg
Some tasks are: find a way to repair the other five crew robots that are out of operation, and figure out how to unlock the spacecraft's antennas in order to receive possible messages from outer space. If you've read The One In LOVE, and remember the final scene, you will surely know why this latter task is so important.
afterBrueghel.jpg
I had a great fun assembling the spaceship's interior. Most of the models were created by a sci-fi 3D modeling master named Stefan Morrel. Exploring the stage is part of the game (the old "go to room X" thing). Click the thumbnails above for a larger view.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

Re: The Lonely One

#2 Post by arachni42 »

Yes, since I read the 2014 one, the style is familiar. ;) I will read this one, too!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

#3 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

Holy Cow! I just played The one in LOVE and I cannot wait for this sequel!
The game is awesome. I love the atmosphere of the story and how emotionally and humanly the character behaved. The unique art style is great, too.

P/S: It a nice little surprise to see a Vietnamese character. Have you been to my country? ^^

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#4 Post by Donmai »

Thanks for your kind words, Black Cat. Unfortunately no, I've never been to Vietnam but I'm interested in studying other countries and its cultures since my childhood (I must say I'm an earthling in the first place, and a Brazilian in second).
I remember I made a post about my inspirations for The One In LOVE... Ah, found it:
Donmai wrote:That scene in 'The One in LOVE' when Rashad is having his Arabic breakfast and then his memories start flowing has something to do with Marcel Proust and "À la recherche du temps perdu", but Rashad's big face and expression were in fact inspired by a famous Jimi Hendrix drawing made by Jean "Moebius" Giraud over a not-so-famous 1967 Hendrix photograph.
hendrix.jpg
rashad.jpg
If you click on the "profile" button under my post, you will see that I am a person from another generation. I was 11 years old when Hendrix was photographed. I was 12 when the Russian tanks crushed the "Prague Spring", a new map of the Midwest was drawn, students occupied the streets of Paris and the asteroid Icarus passed dangerously near the Earth (gosh, it was a distance of only 4 million miles, the whole humanity was (or should be) nervous as I was on June 14, 1968). Finally, I was 13 when the Woodstock Festival rocked the world, the cast of the musical "Hair" was singing "This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius", but the Vietnam war wouldn't stop. Surprisingly enough, despite being very young then, I was paying attention to all those things and through the years I could never forget what I witnessed. Maybe that's why my stories may look so "different": they are born from my personal experiences. When I finished "The One in LOVE" I could see all those things there: the special man with a tragic life, a changing world, the "optimistic a**hole" waiting for an age of "peace and understanding", a "new map of the world being drawn", the neverending war... everything was there, even the asteroid!
I started The Lonely One knowing I wouldn't be able to finish it in less than a month because the game has adventure elements which require much more work than a linear novel. But yes, I will finish it.

Karl_C
Veteran

#5 Post by Karl_C »

Donmai wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 pm But yes, I will finish it.
This are great news as I enjoyed all your works (that were made available here).

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Donmai »

Thanks, Karl.