Mnemonic Devices [Sci-fi, Romance] [BxG/BxB/NBxB]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Mnemonic Devices [Sci-fi, Romance] [BxG/BxB/NBxB]

#1 Post by minyan »

Plot:

Your typical amnesia story.

Or is it?

The MC wakes up in the hospital. Their husband informs them of their name and history, but something doesn’t seem right. After a day going through their possessions and searching for a spark of meaning...The MC hears a voice in their head that breaks their already shattered world into pieces.

This will be a free project.

The game will be fairly short, taking place over the span of four days. There will be two love interests. At night, the player will be able to view memories to help them make a decision at the end. There will also be various choices throughout the game that will steer them towards an ending. Nearly 30,000 words, for 2 hours of gameplay and tons of replayability. The game takes place in a near future. The player will be able to choose the pronoun, skin tone, and hairstyle of the main character.

You might have noticed the genre changed! Well as I was writing, while there is a lot of drama, the focus kind of centered on the romance.

Sprites, writing, UI: Minyan
Proofreading/Testing: ClumsyRobot44, Averxy
Backgrounds: Reikun
CG artist: Kyan Josbel
Composer and sound designer: J-Ray
Editors: Zatomi, Wray92
Programmer: Sandalphon

Progress:

[OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO]

Outline
Concepts
Logo
GUI
Sprites
CGs
Music
Writing
Sounds
BGs
Programming

All done!

Testing in progress...

Here's our development tumblr: https://mnemonicdevicesnano2019.tumblr.com
Here's our itch page: https://minyan.itch.io/mnemonic-devices
Last edited by minyan on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01 am, edited 43 times in total.
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

Re: Untitled [Sci-fi, Drama] [BxG/BxB/NBxB]

#2 Post by minyan »

Added a few more people joined in! A big thanks to: ClumsyRobot44, Reikun, Kyan Josbel, Zatomi, and J-Ray for joining the team! We've pretty much got all we need! I'm pretty pumped for this project.

Today, I'll be working on fleshing out the characters and trying to get a concept sketch of the MC completed. NaNo is right around the corner, I really forgot how short February was xD
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Super excited to see another game from you, Minyan! I like the premise of this game, it's very mysterious. Good luck on this!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:32 pm Super excited to see another game from you, Minyan! I like the premise of this game, it's very mysterious. Good luck on this!
Thanks so much! It's already been so much fun planning stuff out xD Are you doing nano this year??
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by minyan »

Woohoo, let's go!

Got some concepts for the MC all sketched up. I'm going to focus on just three hairstyles to start and so far 1, 2, and 5 seem to be winners.

We've also decided on the first outfit on the left! Unfortunately, capes don't seem to be very popular...even though I love them Dx

I'm working on some concepts for both of the love interests, but neither of them have outfits yet. ;u;b
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

*whispers* I like the capes....

Totally agree with you on the hairstyle choices! I like them a lot, 2 especially is super cute. I wish that my hair had curled like that when I had it long!

And to answer your earlier question, I'm not participating in NaNo in any official capacity this year. :( I was planning on trying to proofread for someone, but when I realized it was the 28th and I still hadn't even posted about it, I figured it might be for the better to step back this year since I'm so busy. But if I do manage to snatch any free time I'll probably be working on reviving an old project of mine just for the sake of the NaNo spirit! ^_^

yoshibb
Veteran

#7 Post by yoshibb »

I love the premise, it sounds exciting. Kinda reminds me of the movie Total Recall XD I can't wait to see where you go with it. I always enjoy your games!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 am *whispers* I like the capes....

Totally agree with you on the hairstyle choices! I like them a lot, 2 especially is super cute. I wish that my hair had curled like that when I had it long!

And to answer your earlier question, I'm not participating in NaNo in any official capacity this year. :( I was planning on trying to proofread for someone, but when I realized it was the 28th and I still hadn't even posted about it, I figured it might be for the better to step back this year since I'm so busy. But if I do manage to snatch any free time I'll probably be working on reviving an old project of mine just for the sake of the NaNo spirit! ^_^
I wish my hair could look as nice as a VN character's period Dx

I get that, I've been super busy lately too. I wasn't going to do NaNo then I was like no I skipped last year dangit! But yay NaNo spirit! I hope you get that free time :3
yoshibb wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:01 pm I love the premise, it sounds exciting. Kinda reminds me of the movie Total Recall XD I can't wait to see where you go with it. I always enjoy your games!
Thanks so much! I hope you like this one as well ^^

Omg total recall! I forgot how much I enjoyed that movie xD Definitely some similar themes, sci-fi setting, focus on memories, a pinch of mystery...

All right, another sprite update! Concepts for the love interests are just about done! I'm not gonna give their names away just yet (that's totally not because they don't have names haha what)

The team has been instrumental in helping with these designs! I'm not sure if I'll post the final concepts or just wait until the sprites are done...depends on how long it takes.

ImageImage

justcolorado
Regular
Completed: Experiment Gone Rogue, Caravan Of Saints, HeartBaked, Hipster Axe
Projects: Iragon
Organization: Repulse.com
Github: coloradostark

#9 Post by justcolorado »

minyan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 am Woohoo, let's go!

Got some concepts for the MC all sketched up. I'm going to focus on just three hairstyles to start and so far 1, 2, and 5 seem to be winners.

We've also decided on the first outfit on the left! Unfortunately, capes don't seem to be very popular...even though I love them Dx

I'm working on some concepts for both of the love interests, but neither of them have outfits yet. ;u;b
Min, I am sure this is going to be good

I love the way you did your first draft concept art, and I am going to use this as an example the next time I ask an artist for one. (Not your actual work but just the example of the way you did it). Because most artists want to go on for 2 weeks give me a portfolio piece concept art. And no matter how much I tell them just a quick sketch they won't do what you did. I am going to make the artists at my company do it like this.

Good luck with the game. I will play it when it comes out.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by minyan »

justcolorado wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:46 pm
Min, I am sure this is going to be good

I love the way you did your first draft concept art, and I am going to use this as an example the next time I ask an artist for one. (Not your actual work but just the example of the way you did it). Because most artists want to go on for 2 weeks give me a portfolio piece concept art. And no matter how much I tell them just a quick sketch they won't do what you did. I am going to make the artists at my company do it like this.

Good luck with the game. I will play it when it comes out.
Thanks so much Colorado! And I'm glad to be of help xD

All right, the MC's final concepts are done!

That's proooobably all I'll manage to get done today. I'm hoping to have lineart for at least one of the love interests done before the weekend is over but we'll see!

Development has been going smoothly, we've got some ideas for sound effects, a couple CGs sketched out, and floor plans for all of the backgrounds! Hopefully we can ride this wave all the way to the end of March. ^^
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Zelan »

Oh man MC is a cutie!! Love the hair, the rightmost one in particular is my favorite but they all came out really well. ^_^ Keep up the good work!

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#12 Post by azaraih »

I'm so excited for this game, the concept is really interesting and mysterious and I want to find out what happens! I'm very curious to know more about the character who shows up as a voice in your head. Good luck with your project!
Image Image

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:44 pm Oh man MC is a cutie!! Love the hair, the rightmost one in particular is my favorite but they all came out really well. ^_^ Keep up the good work!
Thanks so much! I think my favorite is the leftmost one. I rarely try asymmetrical haircuts so it was kinda different for me :D
azaraih wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:22 pm I'm so excited for this game, the concept is really interesting and mysterious and I want to find out what happens! I'm very curious to know more about the character who shows up as a voice in your head. Good luck with your project!
Thank you! I hope it lives up to your expectations ^^

-
So we now have a lovely logo!

We're making good progress. We've got another CG sketch and one of the BGs is well on it's way! Also, one of our love interests is just about to be colored. Since I already "revealed" them I'll probably just post it when he's done but maybe I'll do silhouettes first or something to get a bit of that mystery flair xD
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Mnemonic Devices [Sci-fi, Drama] [BxG/BxB/NBxB]

#14 Post by minyan »

Okay a lot to report!

First off, the first love interest has been completed! And the MC has some new expressions, on display on the first post there.

And he finally has a name! introducing: Alto!

We also have one of the ending CG's close to finished, so here's a teaser:

The BGs are well underway too! Two of the sketches are complete and all of the floorpans are done, too.

From the programming side of things, the sprites are being implemented! We're also working on tweaking the logo.

We've made great progress! By the end of the first week, all the sprites will be done, and I'll start on the writing. We are going to conquer nano!
ImageImage

nanna4673
Regular
Completed: A Question Of Normalcy
Projects: Magari
Tumblr: Kajilia
Deviantart: ferris4673
itch: nanna4673

Re: Mnemonic Devices [Sci-fi, Drama] [BxG/BxB/NBxB]

#15 Post by nanna4673 »

Oooh I didn't know you were joining this year! I adore The Pretenders Guild (Like, ADORE), and your writing style, so I'm super hyped for this!
Finished projects:
A Question Of Normalcy - Contemporary VN, NaNoReno 2017: https://nanna4673.itch.io/a-question-of-normalcy

Magari - Contemporary, Slice of life, Romance VN for NaNoRenO 2019: https://nanna4673.itch.io/magari

Older projects:
19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN: http://nanna4673.itch.io/19-hours

Choice - Short visual novel for NaNoRenO 2015: http://nanna4673.itch.io/choice

Dreamcatcher - Supernatural, psychological, mystery VN: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39810