• Pink Lemonade • [NaNo2019] [G/B x B/??] [Sci-fi]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Aracade
Regular
Completed: A Monster's Insight, LUNACY, Gulam
Github: arkicade
itch: arkicade

• Pink Lemonade • [NaNo2019] [G/B x B/??] [Sci-fi]

#1 Post by Aracade »

PL_logo.png
"Save the planet...through rhetoric?"

There's a glass of pink lemonade on the table.
"Take a sip, you'll need it."
PL_glass.png
PL_glass.png (43.17 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Of 5 human representatives, you've been chosen to to be one of them. The reason? Earth is going to be the new captured colony of Glook's Galactic Empire, but it needs to go through Pink Lemonade's court first. So you've been asked to "defend" your planet in court. Although Glook may be the size of a boulder, he cannot use his strength against you. The only thing at both of your disposal are your words.

Unfortunately for you, Glook has someone to argue his case for him: Torocles (the Master Rhetorician).
And against him...how can you win? The man(alien?) has never been beaten before...well...except for once. (But we don't talk about that)

Pink Lemonade is a visual novel about saving the Earth and meeting weird aliens. For a few days, you'll live through a [male or female] human, navigating an alien planet before the trial. Learn the 3 types of rhetoric: pathos, logos and ethos. Explore outer space. And find the creature of your dreams!

Features:
• 3 aliens to meet (2 male and 1...creature?)
• roughly 3 endings for each
• there are also options for no romance at all!
• Low-scoring stat raising *
• BONUS content! After-stories with each of the characters

Stats and romance? *
The game has 2 aspects: the stat mini game and the love interest. Both aspects are separate (sometimes one may influence the other). Mostly, your success in court doesn't correlate with your success in your love life. This means that you can "win" the court case but "lose" your love interest (and vice versa).

The Team!
Aracade - Writing, Coding, Sprites, Backgrounds, UI etc.
Izzabean - Music

Sketches!
Image1.png
Your 3 love interests.
Image2.png
Male and Female versions of the human protagonist.
image4.png
Different colour schemes.

Antizaba

Re: • Pink Lemonade • [NaNo2019] [G/B x B/??] [Sci-fi]

#2 Post by Antizaba »

This looks really cool. The idea sounds interesting and i love the crazy colorful art :)
Good luck!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

This sounds really cool! I like the idea of having to argue your case in court to save the Earth, it really flips that whole idea of "going to war to save the Earth" completely around. I also kind of wonder if this could end up being legitimately useful in teaching someone about ethos, logos, and pathos? Excited to see where this goes! Good luck on your NaNo. c:

Aracade
Regular
Completed: A Monster's Insight, LUNACY, Gulam
Github: arkicade
itch: arkicade

#4 Post by Aracade »

Antizaba wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 pm This looks really cool. The idea sounds interesting and i love the crazy colorful art :)
Good luck!
Thank you Antizaba! I wanted to make the alien world feel a bit "bizarre" hence the "crazy colourful art". It took a while getting used to it (I normally don't bump up the saturation so high) but it's always good to experiment!
Zelan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:36 pm This sounds really cool! I like the idea of having to argue your case in court to save the Earth, it really flips that whole idea of "going to war to save the Earth" completely around. I also kind of wonder if this could end up being legitimately useful in teaching someone about ethos, logos, and pathos? Excited to see where this goes! Good luck on your NaNo. c:
Thank you very much Zelan for your comment! And yes, you hit the nail on the head! I really liked the concept of "saving your world" through rhetoric since it can be something refreshing. I've been interested in philosophy and along the way have heard of rhetoricians/sophists (Protagoras, Gorgias etc.) so that's when I wanted to integrate rhetoric into the game.

[Fun Fact: the love interest Spewsip's name was inspired by Speusippus! Speusippus was one of the people who inherited Plato's Academy.]