Helix Felix [R18][Sci-fi][LGBT+][NaNoRenO2019]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
briarbun
Regular
Projects: Helix Felix

Helix Felix [R18][Sci-fi][LGBT+][NaNoRenO2019]

#1 Post by briarbun »

Untitled107-2.png
Technically I started this project Feb 18th, but I didn't know about RenO then!!

Summary
Addison is a Felix, a cat-boy 'created' by the laboratory Helix Scientific. He lives there permanently, unlike his siblings who are all eventually going to be adopted to Masters. Unfortunately this is because he was deemed 'unmarketable' at a young age when he realized he was trans. Now he functions as the 'Staff Companion'. Addison doesn't find this strange until a new pediatrician is hired to care for the Felixes. Where will the companion find his own companionship- in a comfortable established relationship, a father figure who only wants to protect him, or in an intense friendship with one of his own species?

Characters
Addison- Our Felix protagonist, a bubbly but nervous budding artist.

Steven- The new doctor, a stoic figure that you're never sure what he's thinking.

Lukas- Lead Chemist at Helix Scientific, working long hours on the next new product to sell to Masters.

Pumpkin- A fellow Felix who has his own troubles and responsibilities. Having been recently chosen as the Brand Mascot, he has a busy schedule and a crowded mind.

Team
Just me! This RenO I want to try and finish the sprites and CGs myself, and hopefully the writing. I had a lot of high hopes for this, but I have to remind myself to take it one step at a time!
Last edited by briarbun on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briarbun
Regular

Re: Neko Love Drug [R18][Sci-fi][LGBT+][NaNoRenO2019]

#2 Post by briarbun »

Made some edits on the sprites and finished their emotions. I have two more to do, but they're side characters so they'll only have two versions each. Can't believe I'm actually doing it!! :D

Mock-up of the start screen is very very rough. I'm unsure what to do for real, but the mock-up looks nice enough so eh.
Attachments
Untitled118-2.png
Untitled99-2.png
Untitled107.png
Last edited by briarbun on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Your characters are all really cute! There aren't many VNs out there with trans protagonists so I'm pretty excited for this one. c:

briarbun
Regular

#4 Post by briarbun »

Thanks so much, it means the world to me! I'm not really making this with playability in mind, it's more just that I love my characters.

Excited to be ~done~ with backgrounds and sprites. I forgot I needed a few minor changes (some sprites need optional face masks, and Addison needs a pair of pajamas) but I'm going to celebrate the victory all the same. Here's some mock-ups of the gameplay, my computer is dead and fingers crossed will be revived tomorrow so Ive been doing 100% of this work on my phone....
Attachments
Untitled117-2.png
Untitled113-2.png
Untitled114-1.png

briarbun
Regular

Re: Helix Felix [R18][Sci-fi][LGBT+][NaNoRenO2019]

#5 Post by briarbun »

https://youtu.be/2qaPFPIRAHs

Here's a test run of what all got done over March.
I'm still writing (about halfway done with the first draft of the script) and trying to "program" it all in. It seems like this is the long slow part!

briarbun
Regular

#6 Post by briarbun »

I've got some fun new updates?

I've restructured the story line and expanded;;; the game by about 30%. Fortunately that "only" adds maybe 1-2 backgrounds and like 4 CGs. I really have a problem with wanting too many CGs!!!

I've re-drawn and colored Addison's sprite and rigged him up to Live2D! I realize I'm only piling things onto my plate, but I've been having a lot of fun learning all these new programs and honestly making this sprite taught me a lot about art I didn't realize I didn't know. I've always had a problem with my projects becoming burdens, but right now I'm still so excited to work on it that sometimes it's hard to sleep, so I think I'm doing okay for now.

I've also picked out a soundtrack of 8 royalty free tracks, and two custom!! tracks are on the way, one provided by another forum member, and the other by a friend. This may not have won NaNoRenO but I'm really happy I started!

I'm not really sure how much time I've put into this but it feels like a whole lot.
Steam says I've only been on tyranobuilder for 18 hours, but
-writing the story
-drawing the sprites
-learning (really bad free) 3D software to make backgrounds
-picking out music
-learning and working in tyranobuilder
-re-drawing sprites
-learning Live2D and rigging
-scrolling through help forums
-converting files
-saving corrupted files
-learning how to shade

it's a lot more than I thought I would be doing!! It's been what, about three months since I started (that long???)

EDIT: NO, I CAN DO MATH. ONLY TWO MONTHS.

and I'd estimate...100-200 hours?
I guess worth it!
Attachments
test0.gif
test0.gif (2.78 MiB) Viewed 2021 times
Last edited by briarbun on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briarbun
Regular

#7 Post by briarbun »

Backgrounds are really f*ucking hard and I understand why people charge what they do now; hello and welcome to my TED Talk.
Attachments
Untitled93-1.png