Dragon of Beor Mountains [GxB, Fantasy, Mini-Games] [Nano2019]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Warden
Projects: Dragon of Beor Mountains
Organization: Intrigue Games
Deviantart: boxofmagicalfury
itch: intrigue

Dragon of Beor Mountains [GxB, Fantasy, Mini-Games] [Nano2019]

#1 Post by Warden »

We plan to release the demo for Nano, as this project is way too large to try and complete in a month! (Frankly, we're concerned about getting the demo completed!)
It's a GxB medieval fantasy romance featuring the MC, Elske and four love interests. There is also a secret BxB route in the game, but that wont show up in the demo.
The game itself will be 16+ for suggestive themes and language, however we're considering if a 18+ would be viable for the full game.
As Elske is a herbologist, there will be a mini-game featuring herbs and plants.
There will also be an interactive inventory.

Elske is alone and scared, though she'll never admit it.

Plagued by memories of an early childhood she barely remembers.
Carrying the baby of a man who decided he had better places to be...
She finds support in the most unlikely of places.

When a dragon attacks her town she finds herself facing it,
he seems familiar and she is inexplicably drawn towards him.
The dragon is injured and flees before he can be hurt further.
Wanting to know more of her past and unable to deny the urge to help the dragon Elske goes on a quest to find him.

Her companions for her quest have their own reasons for helping, some have Elske’s best interests at heart, some do not.
Help Elske as she learns the underlying motives for each of her companions and journeys to find the dragon that may hold the key to her past.

Elske | El-Ski
Herbologist | Human | Twenty-Three
"Don't touch me. Fae only knows where your hands have been."

Rykus | Ry-kus
Bounty Hunter | Human | Twenty-Five
"You think I'm going to hear anything with you sounding like a heard of wilderbeasts?"

Cynefin | Sin-ev-in
Being mysterious | Centaur | ???
"If you get some time to leave his sight under the moonlight, you can call my name and I should be nearby."

Milo | My-lo
Tailor | Human | Nineteen
"She is pregnant, she needs support of those who actually care about her and not using her for their own gain."

Belial | Bel-e-el
Brooding in caves | Dragon shifter | ???
"Come on little human, I know you're there. Open your eyes."

Godline/Bee | Programmer, Writer
Warden | Writer, General Artist
Pia | BG Artist, Sprite outlines
EJ | Composer
Sayumi | GUI and Logo design
Uni | Sprite Colorist and idea bouncer

We can manage with our current team but would enjoy extra help if anyone is interested. More artists are always welcome and VA is also a possibility. Send a PM!

updated 25/3/19
Estimated demo word count 10-14k
Demo script - 50%
Sprite lineart - 100%
Sprite colouring - 40%
Programming - 50%
BG Art - 60%
Music - 100 %
GUI - 90%

Music:
Festival by Eric Jeffrey Tan Music

Art updates:

Last edited by Warden on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 am, edited 15 times in total.

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Dragon of Beor Mountains [GxB, Fantasy, Mini-Games] [Nano2019]

#2 Post by nerupuff »

Ooooh, the logo in itself looks very fancy, and I'm very drawn to it. I'll look forward to this, even if it's just a demo. It's also a very interesting plot, given that this is the first I've heard of a protagonist pregnant on a journey (or perhaps I haven't played that much games...) but yes! It's interesting to think about the possible scenarios that can happen in the VN. Since I love plants and stuff, I'm also pretty excited for the mini-games this'll have.

Wishing you the best of luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#3 Post by Amiralo »

Dang. This is the first time i saw a heroine who is pregnant. I think this allows for the game to tread waters traditionally uncharted in otome games. Currently most interested in belial's route.
Last edited by Amiralo on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Warden

#4 Post by Warden »

Thanks so much! I'm glad that you both find the idea interesting, we weren't sure how well a pregnant MC would be taken but Bee and I were committed to the idea.

I also have a small update!
Below is Elske, the MC's lineart. She has eight expressions, three hair styles and two costume changes. May not all be used in the demo, we'll see!

SwallowtailedTrinket
Regular
Completed: The Deep Unknown
Deviantart: Esper-Isotopes
itch: SwallowtailedTrinket

#5 Post by SwallowtailedTrinket »

She's adorable! I love her! I'd like to add myself to the list of people who find the idea of a game with a pregnant protagonist as very intriguing, especially since it's not like the father is dead or anything, he just up and left. It already makes her a very sympathetic character, and then I'm further intrigued by the fact that she's willing to chase after a dragon off into the wildnerness in such a state, so I am absolutely rooting for her all the way and my fingers are crossed that you'll be able to finish the demo for nano just because I'm really selfish and want to know more XD

Warden

#6 Post by Warden »

Thanks so much! It's definitely great hearing supportive feedback to the plot. I wonder, after posting the boys lineart below and with the minimal information provided which route interests you(and anyone else) the most? :D

Update!

We have music! It sounds amazing, EJ is doing a fantastic job. He's completed the first song and is nearly done with the second.
We're hoping to have four original songs for the demo all up, so we'll see how we go!

Our writing is all over the place, the story will be set out in days and we're planning to hopefully have four days in the demo.
We've written snippets for each day but we've now fully completed day one! Day one weighed in at 3,300ish words(and we may still add to it!). If we keep on that track the demo should be about 13k words. :D The full game we're estimating around 150-200k, which is exciting!

We haven't had any updates from our sprite colorist.
Our BG artist has provided sketches for the five BG's the demo will have and is working on lineart/colouring now.
The sketches looked amazing, and I look forward to showing off one of the completed BGs soon.

Programming is being done as we complete things, so it isn't one big programming job at the end, so that's progressing around the same rate as everything else.

And last, but not least, here is a sample of the boys lineart!

nerupuff
Veteran

#7 Post by nerupuff »

Oooooh, sprites! By the looks of it, I think Milo and Gynefin are my favorites now. Milo looks so innocent and cute (definitely always the first kind of character I fall for) and Cynefin seems so reliable based on this sprite of his. Everyone looks great~

Now I'm super excited for the demo!
Last edited by nerupuff on Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

SwallowtailedTrinket
Regular
Completed: The Deep Unknown
Deviantart: Esper-Isotopes
itch: SwallowtailedTrinket

#8 Post by SwallowtailedTrinket »

Ooooh I think I'm most interested in Rykus since his motives are the most mysterious to me. His job description as a bounty hunter and his artwork makes me think he's the type of guy who confuses "fun" with "dangerous"--not exactly who'd I'd expect to see forming a merry band with a pregnant woman and a tailor, so his motives pique my interest a lot even if there's a good chance it'll break my heart. I also like Cynefin because he just towers over the rest of them, and I'm curious how his being a centaur plays into things.

ShokumaNatsu
Projects: SHINRAI

#9 Post by ShokumaNatsu »

This looks really neat! I'm already intrigued by the plot and the characters and also very curious about the mini-game! I'm terrible with plants in RL, but I always love doing stuff with them in video games ;; Also, Elske and Milo are both so cute and I'd definitely try his route first~ (Cynefin's "job" made my chuckle :lol: )
Oh, and the logo is very pretty too!

This project seems really ambitious, but I hope you'll manage to finish! Best of luck!

Warden

#10 Post by Warden »

SwallowtailedTrinket wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:02 am Ooooh I think I'm most interested in Rykus since his motives are the most mysterious to me. His job description as a bounty hunter and his artwork makes me think he's the type of guy who confuses "fun" with "dangerous"--not exactly who'd I'd expect to see forming a merry band with a pregnant woman and a tailor, so his motives pique my interest a lot even if there's a good chance it'll break my heart. I also like Cynefin because he just towers over the rest of them, and I'm curious how his being a centaur plays into things.
Haha he definitely does not generally form merry bands no. If I'm being honest Rykus is probably my fav :D I'm interested to see peoples reactions to him. Cynefin is definitely a mystery, as his job description says. :P Centaurs are private creatures and tend to stick to themselves, this world isn't a kind one for them.
nerupuff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:27 pm Oooooh, sprites! By the looks of it, I think Milo and Gynefin are my favorites now. Milo looks so innocent and cute (definitely always the first kind of character I fall for) and Gynefin seems so reliable based on this sprite of his. Everyone looks great~

Now I'm super excited for the demo!
Milo is definitely adorable and cute! He's such a caring soul. <3 I'm so glad you like them!
ShokumaNatsu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 pm This looks really neat! I'm already intrigued by the plot and the characters and also very curious about the mini-game! I'm terrible with plants in RL, but I always love doing stuff with them in video games ;; Also, Elske and Milo are both so cute and I'd definitely try his route first~ (Cynefin's "job" made my chuckle :lol: )
Oh, and the logo is very pretty too!

This project seems really ambitious, but I hope you'll manage to finish! Best of luck!
I'm terrible with them in RL too, they die within days! Thank you so much. :D

The project is definitely ambitious, it's one that Godline and I have spoken about for about six months now that we're excited to finally be putting into the world. It's my first project, if I was by myself I would have gone with something smaller but thankfully Godline has dev experience already!

Warden

#11 Post by Warden »

I wasn't going to post any updates this weekend because I'm super busy with work but our sprite colourist sent us a WiP and I'm super excited so I wanted to share it!
The weekend isn't a productive time for either Bee or I because of other commitments, so our game didn't progress a lot, but looking forward to getting back into the week!

nerupuff
Veteran

#12 Post by nerupuff »

The WIP of Elske looks gorgeous! The colors look so pleasing to the eyes. I can't imagine how awesome the finished colored sprite would look. Keep it up and good luck!
ImageImage

Warden

#13 Post by Warden »

nerupuff wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 am The WIP of Elske looks gorgeous! The colors look so pleasing to the eyes. I can't imagine how awesome the finished colored sprite would look. Keep it up and good luck!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to see the finished sprites too. Can't wait til it all comes together. :) For now though, a music update!
EJ has been working hard and here is one of the tracks he's prepared for the demo!

https://soundcloud.com/ejtanmusic/festival

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#14 Post by Godline »

nerupuff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:27 pm Oooooh, sprites! By the looks of it, I think Milo and Gynefin are my favorites now. Milo looks so innocent and cute (definitely always the first kind of character I fall for) and Cynefin seems so reliable based on this sprite of his.
You have the best taste. Clearly. :D :D :D

Warden

#15 Post by Warden »

kinda mid month update!

Pia has nearly finished all the linearts for the BG's and has began colouring.
Uni has completely finished Elske and has done bits on all the boys.
EJ is creating one more song for us, to take us up to a total of four!
We have some of the art completed for the items in the mini-game and inventory.
Sayumi is speeding along with the GUI!
Coding is being done as things are completed.
As for writing, we have been doing a lot but I won't increase the percentage of what has been written because we had some idea changes which is causing us to completely rewrite day one.
While this creates more work for us, it adds more depth to the story and we're really looking forward to sharing it in future!

Here is a preview of the GUI and Elske's expressions! :D